Begonia 'orange rubra'

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

This new baby of mine, started 4/19/2010 at Logee's is blooming and the fragrance is just wonderful.
This is the first bloom for me and I am very pleased with it. I recommend it to anyone who is starting a collection.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I love fragrant begonias. I haven't had one in many years. About 30 I believe. Thanks for the heads up. Know of any more fragrant ones?

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Not off hand, maybe someone on Fragrant Gardening Forum may know of some. I will let you know if I find anymore that smell good. LOL.. JB

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. ;-)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Odorata has a nice sweet smell if there are plenty and it is warm outside

Here is B. odorata. This mass is in front of the conservatory at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami - very fragrant for a begonia.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Do you know much about its culture, hc? Finicky, easy?

Pretty easy. Orange Rubra is easy too.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Brookfield, CT

I got an "Orange Rubra" (a rooted cutting) earlier this summer. I almost lost it when the drought hit while I was on vacation. It's just starting to flower now. I didn't know it was fragrant! I usually grow my plants pretty lean, but I'll be sure to fertilize this one regularly. Is this a particularly large cane? I have had "Sophie Cecile" for years and have learned to cut it back to control its legginess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images