Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

High Yield Gardening: Recommendation for Raised Bed Netting

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
djw2e
Charlottesville, VA

July 11, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7959308

I built a raised bed this year. It is equipped to be covered by netting to protect from insects and birds.

I would appreciate if anyone had a recommendation for very fine netting and where I could order it. (The local stores do not have anything beyond the very large-holed netting to discourage birds.)

I am looking for something that might be termed "micromesh" because the holes are really small. The idea is to allow moisture and sunlight, but to be small enough to keep out some of the harmful insects, and of course birds.

Thanks in advance.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 11, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7959541

Would screen do - like the kind you replace on a screened door ? Or would that shade your plants too much?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 11, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7959613

My garden is totally covered and there is a thread about it. Home depot has some called bird netting but it is so flimsy so after 1 season I ended up throwing it away. There is pond netting at AZ ponds but a little pricey but better quality and you will be able to use it year after year. Good luck. Belle
Weedwhacker
Bark River (UP), MI
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7959977

Maybe some "Reemay" or other brand of "floating row cover" ? (most of the seed catalogs sell it, I can give you specific names if you need them)

Or, I've seen comments in the past from people that use "tulle" -- a filmy fabric often used in wedding dressings and the like, can be bought at a fabric store; comes in different colors (I think) so you could have a color-coordinated garden. Actually, I believe what I've read is that black almost disappears and you can actually see your plants, the one problem I have with Reemay although I use a lot of it.

Edited to say -- or maybe mosquito netting?

This message was edited Jul 11, 2010 2:28 PM
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7961006

Veil material (tuile) is really useful in the garden to keep birds and most bugs away. I love it for the blueberry bushes and over the strawberry patch to keep the chipmunk out.

I also use a very good quality mosquito netting to cover the squashes, eggplants, cabbages, broccoli and brussels sprouts. I highly recommend this company:
http://www.mosquitocurtains.com/home/mosquito-netting.html#buy

The netting I bought was the raw material, heavy duty, 144" wide. I measured all my beds and e-boxes and then purchased three different lengths. It seemed an expensive outlay but the quality is superb. It is soft and pliable like silk and will last for years so can be re-used wherever necessary. I left it on the beds over the winter and you would never know it. Being so pliable and soft it covers the berry bushes easily. Nothing can catch in it or tear it. I plan to get even more for other garden areas. It is family owned and the owner is most pleasant to talk to.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7961321

There's a place called Memphis Net and Twine. Look under fishing supplies. http://www.memphisnet.net/category/fishing

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America