Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Houseplants: Cut Dead Leaves Off?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 2, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anianna
Saint Stephens Churc, VA

July 11, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7961199

I have a dwarf musa banana tree I am growing via hydroculture indoors. During warm sunny days, I put him out on the deck in full light. I've only had Nanners about a week. He arrived looking healthy and vibrant and still looked so after I transferred him to Hydroton. A few days later, though, one of my kiddos accidentally dropped a library book on him and knocked him silly, damaging one of his leaves. He went downhill very quickly. All of his leaves withered and I thought he would die, but yesterday, he unfurled a pretty new leaf.

I tried to pull the dead and dying leaves off, but they do not come easily. I am a relative newbie to growing plants and generally am not successful, but the plants I know you have to trim dead leaves from typically let them go easily.

Do I need to cut Nanners' dead leaves off and, if I do, what is the best method of doing so?

You can see pictures of Nanners from his first transfer, to his dying leaves, to his new leaf here: http://hydrocassie.wordpress.com/

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7961690

I'm thinking he had a case of transplant shock and book shock. I use scissors to cut off dead or dying leaves. It's much easier than trying to pull them off. It looks like he'll be fine.
Anianna
Saint Stephens Churc, VA

July 12, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7962087

Thanks, kwanjin. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America