Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo): Strawberry Tree - North-centraCalifornia

Communities > Forums > Article: Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo)Replies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flynsoup
Shasta Lake, CA

July 13, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7965793

I purchased a strawberry tree last October. It was planted by the Nursery that I bought it from. At that time I bought a October Blaze and a Crape Myrtle. Both are doing fine but the Strawberry tree was damaged by fall winds. They replaced the tree and staked it, in the spring. That tree is dying, the trunk is scaling and the leaves are brown. We were told to water it heavily, which we did to no avail.
When it was delivered it looked a little droopy. How can we save this tree?
Could there be something wrong with the soil? Or did I just get a sick tree.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7967793

Gosh, that's a hard question, and an unfortunate problem. We know that newly planted trees require lots of water until they are well established, but it sounds like you did that.

You said the tree looked a bit droopy when it was delivered. That could be from lack of water. Did it perk up after you watered it? If your soil is a bit acid, it should be fine for strawberry tree.

Wish I could be more helpful, but it's difficult to diagnose from afar. Your extension agent might have some insightful observations.

All my best.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Arbutus for limey soils olderbutwiser 1 Oct 20, 2009 9:36 PM
Parks, strawberry trees and London soil. NEILMUIR1 1 Oct 22, 2009 6:17 PM
Strawberry Trees SingingWolf 1 Jan 24, 2010 12:42 AM
Arbutus unedo nato0224 1 Aug 4, 2011 7:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America