Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Photo storage ?

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 16, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7967536

I recently fried my motherboard. My hard drive is OK and I successfully transferred all my data to my new computer. BUT it did get me thinking about all my stored photos. I do have an external backup system which runs automatically. As I take more and more photos, though, I am wondering it if makes sense to store my photos in cyberspace somewhere - perhaps on one of the various photo-sharing programs out there. Any thoughts or recommendations? I've looked at both Photo Bucket and Flickr but have no particular opinion of either. Thanks.
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7969874

I have pictures on both those sites, but I'd be afraid to use it for back-up, since that is not it's intent. I just signed up for Carbonite, about $54.00 a year. It also backs up documents, etc. Once it has finally made the initial back-up (which in my case took over two weeks), it automatically backs up anything new. I did some research on it, people seemed to think it works good. I hope so, I will have thousands of photos on it.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7970984

Joan, thanks. Yes, my tech was telling me about Carbonite and he thinks this is the wave of the future in technology, and that it will only get more sophisticated and secure. The whole concept of cyber-storage is a bit fuzzy to me, but it does make sense. I think at this point I have plenty of space on my hard drive and I do have a reliable backup system, although it is on-site with my computer so would not be useful in a house disaster. If that event, though, I'm guessing my photos would sink to a bit lower priority.
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 17, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7976059

Maybe, maybe not. I've taken only digital since 2000, so I have grand kids that I only have digital pics of. In my case, I also have dvd's in a safe deposit box at the bank, in case of a horrible even like fire or tornado.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #8005959

I wish Carbonite would back up external hard drives. I long ago filled my 4 hard drives that are in my computer. I download to a 1.5 terabyte external drive now that is just about full and have 3 others for back up. I am about to buy another external hard drive of 2 terabytes. I have about 3 terabytes already full. I was looking at their professional plan, thinking that may cover external hard drives but shoot, it would cost a couple thousand dollars a year for that plan. They charge per GB.

I already tried Mozy and that was a waste. It would copy the folder and a few pictures and forget to do the rest. I think maybe the volume was too much for it.

Anyone know of another back up service that covers external hard drives?
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8006996

I wish it covered external hard drives, too.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8007387

I emailed Carbonite last night about my quandary and was told to get their Pro product. That is prohibitively expensive. So I emailed their Carbonite Customer Service guy.

Response (Jeffrey Robison) 07/30/2010 05:48 PM
Kelley-Thanks for reaching out. We do understand your situation and are currently working on a solution. Our research indicates that large users would be willing to pay more. We’re thinking of backing up external drives for a moderate price increase over our regular subscription. This is still in the planning stage and hope that you will reconsider Carbonite in the future. Regards, Jeff

Customer (Kelley) 07/30/2010 05:07 PM
You need to have a plan to back up external hard drives that does not cost
a fortune like your Pro plan. Many of us at home save directly on
external hard drives now since they are so cheap instead of increasing internal
hard drive space which is much more involved.

My internal drives were long ago filled.

I guess we can only wait!

This message was edited Sep 15, 2010 12:32 PM
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8008646

Good for you, to contact them. Let's hope he's right!
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 15, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #8100287

I have used Carbonite for a few years now. After the initial back up, you can't even tell it's running in the background. Fortunately, I haven't needed their back up for any hard drive disaster but I have backed up accidentally deleted/missing files and their service is fantastic! I also have the external hard drive issue. My hard drive is almost full, so I try to put non-essentials on my EHD, but I'm horrible about backing them up. Carbonite has been saying that something is "in the works" for a few years now, but so far nothing. I would gladly pay double if I could protect my EHD. I considered switching to Mozy for awhile because they do allow EHD back up but I read some bad reviews concerning the difficulty of restoring data-if you can't restore it what's the point of backing it up? I don't know anyone personally who has actually used Mozy though, and the price is about the same as Carbonite. I though about trying it out on the computer my grand kids use just so I could compare. I'm hoping to fit a new computer into my budget in the next year or so-one with a humongous hard drive or two : ) My computer is about 5 yrs old and I never thought I would fill it up, but it's way over half full now. I think some good "house cleaning" would help-it seems like I save every single photo I take, many in RAW format so I really need to go through and delete the ones that aren't keepers : )

Anyway, Carbonite is a definite winner in my book!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 17, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8812663

I am with Joan on this for the real important stuff make DVDs put them in a safe deposit box and I plan to mix it up a little bit with some jump drives and I also use a memory card writer which I use in a electronic picture frame I always be a tad bit suspicous of other people handling my stuff ,I mean that anyone of those back up company could go broke or just decide to raise your feeIE: remember when Yahoo photos became Flicker I do have some photos stored on Picasa and that is for easy acces
epazota
Lakeland, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 19, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8815508

I had my external hard drive with ALL of my pictures become corrupt without warning. It was pricey and time consuming to get the pictures back. For me I needed to ensure safety of the contents of my hard drive. I heard about Idrive.com and so far it has worked well. There was some price to it, but reasonable. Carbonite worked slick, but would not touch my external hard drive.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9033616

Ideally you should learn how to back-up your own pictures and not rely on any on-line site. They are not really reliable. Including Carbonite. Read the fine print, they do not really quarantee not to lose your data. I teach a 6 hour class on how to store digital data, long term w/o loss. Just had 2 students who used Carbon... and now do not, yeah. WD ext HDD are your best bet. I even had one (of 16) of mine break down but was able to extract the pictures from it and lost nothing. LOKSS - lots of copies keeps stuff safe. The beauty of digital = done properly (and most do not do this correctly) a copy can be just like the original.
epazota
Lakeland, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 11, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9038181

Gasrocks, appreciate your comments can you translate what 'WD ext HDD' means?
Thanks, Epazota
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9038236

Western Digital (brand name) external Hard Drive. The single best way to store data long term. Not perfect but nothing is. I buy mine from Amazon.com. The My Book series is probably the way to go. Right now bang for buck is in the 2 TB size. Get larger than you think you need.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 1:43 PM
epazota
Lakeland, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9053245

Thank you that makes sense now.
tonyjr
Union City, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9123225

I looked into off line / cloud storage .
I use smugmug for photo sharing . They only do Jpegs .
My back ups consist of the MAC time machine . Also kind of have all pictures on 4 hard drives [ I have different OS systems on each one - IE from OS 9 , 10.2 thru 10.5.8 - some programs are no longer supported / companies in existence ]
I also have everything on a 2.5 inch firewire hard drive in a semi fire proof brief case with laptop . I have another I back up / swap about once a month at my brothers house .
Right now I only have about 22 notebook with older negative type pictures to scan . Going thru old photo albums for picture albums , scanning , printing for collages [ funerals / 25th / 50th - birthdays / anniversaries .
I pick up external drives when on sale .
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9123365

Off site and/or cloud storage is not the ultimate answer. Read the fine print, no guarantee your pix are safe. When it comes to long term storage I don't think that is a good time to attempt to save a few pennies with used, bargain or off brand HDD. You want the safe that is fireproof and waterproof (not resistant.) Most damage in a fire in caused by the firemen (firepeople?) spraying water over everything. I used to have a job that invloved inspecting buildings after a fire. I can remember one case where the estimated fire/smoke damage was $500. Water damage $5K.

This message was edited May 14, 2012 11:25 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America