Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: red-tailed hawk?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DevilDogs
Campobello, SC
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7967821

and the only reason I think red-tailed hawk is cause anything big, the answer always happens to be red-tailed hawk.
anyway, I have a pair of whatever this thing is that moved in yesterday morning. They are big and annoyingly noisy and no one seems happy they are here. Especially the mocking birds that are dive-bombing them every chance they get. No clue why they are here. The foxes that moved in several months ago cleared everything out already. Only thing left is the squirrels. Do these things eat squirrel?
Sorry on the quality. Taken at dawn. Wish I had my camera yesterday mid morning. He landed in a tree no more than 10 feet from me and we had a staring contest.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7968339

Yep, Red-tailed Hawk. Yes, they do eat squirrels, though probably not a huge number.

Resin
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7968343

Tastes like chicken.
DevilDogs
Campobello, SC
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7968409

Thanks Resin! Do these guys actually have a red tail? I'm going to try and get a better picture so I can see if I can find one.
We had rabbits covering our front yard every night at dusk till the foxes showed up. The hawks are about 6 months too late moving in.
Pirl, squirrel or hawk taste like chicken? LOL. My neighbors aren't going to be too happy. They have the only remaining few chickens left on our road after the foxes moved in. They tore my little coop apart on Mother's Day. They've been locking their chickens up 24/7 for months now. The coyotes moved in and chased the foxes away and then the coyotes took a couple of their chickens too before moving on. I'm sure they are going to think the hawks now are ready to pick up where the coyote left off.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America