-
AuthorContent
rufsue
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2001
1:05 PM

Post #15036

Hi folks. This is a pup off of a very large plant which produced many. The mother plant got to 7' and at least as wide with all of it's babies. It does not flower. Probably a zone 9 and higher plant as it did brown up in light frost. Colors are predominately yellow and green. Blades on mother plant got to 4" wide and 6-7' long. Hope someone can ID it!
Sue in FL, zone 9b

Thumbnail by rufsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

October 4, 2001
5:05 PM

Post #139653

Well, it looks a lot like my spider plant I have indoors...could that be?
chazparas
Haverhill, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2001
8:45 PM

Post #139787

Pandanus? common name screw pine. looks like a young one to me are the edges of the leaves saw toothed like a pineapple?
rufsue
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2001
1:02 AM

Post #139960

Nope, this is not spider plant...this gets to be 7 feet tall!! I am able to use spider plants as ground cover here though and it works wonderfully.
Nope, the blade edges are smooth, not jagged, and the leaves are fairly supple...not hard...
Sue
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

October 8, 2001
10:53 PM

Post #142926

Could this be what we call around here 'New Zealand Flax' - Phormium tenax?
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 9, 2001
6:57 PM

Post #143455

I was thinking phormium too...but I'm not sure they get as tall as 7'...could it be a cordyline? Some are variegated and they do grow to 7'.
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

October 9, 2001
7:08 PM

Post #143461

According to one of my books, under the right conditions Phormium tenax can get leaves as long as 3 meters (10'). Haven't seen them that big, but they easily get to 7'.
bert
ehrikon
Switzerland
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2001
10:31 AM

Post #143751

looks like a carex??????
perLite
Petaluma, CA

October 10, 2001
6:28 PM

Post #144024

I'd vote for the Phormium, (there are many variegations). As I recall, its leaves originate in a rather fanwise way, a little like plants of the Iris family. Then just above the "fan," the leaf seems to kind of pinch and then is oriented in a perpendicular way to its base.
That really seems to make no sense does it? I'm trying to figure a better way to phrase that...
It would also have a significant fold down the center of its leaves.
It would also bloom in clusters not unlike those of Kangaroo Paw.
Hope this is some help...
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2001
5:35 PM

Post #144671

Are the leaves on the end of stalk like stems?
rufsue
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2001
3:41 PM

Post #147728

Thanks to all of you for chiming in with ideas as to what my plant is. By coincidence I recently ran into the fellow I got it from years ago. Forgot all about its source till I saw him! SO I asked him and he said it is Pandanus, forget the variety...so I'll have to believe that. I will check out all of your suggestions though...love to research and learn.
I'm not $ubscribing, so will miss reading all of these posts and friendly help. Happy gardening, Sue in FL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America