Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hibiscus: Fall time pruning and sharing

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 10, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7968679

I am new here to this forum, and perhaps am overstepping my bounds by asking...but I am wondering if there comes a time during Fall pruning and bringing in of the plants if members here share cuttings for postage or trade them? I want to buy everything I see, but my pocketbook is small and I would love a few cuttings come Fall even if I have to pay a small fee for them I'd be glad too...
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7969607

Hi Karen,

Im in your boat. Very willing to pay for cuttings. I don't know what I will be able to contribute with my small plants. Maybe some of my bigger ones, but would like to keep in touch with you and see what we can trade when the time comes! Who knows, mine might take off in a huge growth spurt.

~Kristen
guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7969712

Karen, I'll keep you in mind when I start pruning. Most of my plants are on the small side so not much pruning needed but I might have something that would interest you. Remind me later :-)

d
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7970162

Thanks Guam, I didn't figure it would hurt to at least ask. Since Hardy Hibs are more my current cup of tea, I know little about the pruning habits of the Tropicals. I was thinking if it was something everyone normally did perhaps they traded...
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7975631

Karen,

Does that mean you are not interested in the hardies? Or those known as Rose of Sharon's?

I've just been out putting in a new Snow Queen and thinking how easy it is, even for me to root cuttings. And here in the south, cuttings of some can be taken anytime there is a runaway branch.

So, are you only interested in the tropical type?

Molly
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7977521

Hi Molly, oh no, I still love the hardies, and would love cuttings of some! I will dmail you later to discuss what we have...
Kwolflady
Munden, KS

July 20, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7983748

I am also,interested in Hibiscus cuttings.I have several small tropical hibiscus plants,but they will really need to do some growing before I can share cuttings. Karen w in KS

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 31, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #8073941

Hi, glad I dropped in. I have 3 different hardy perennial Hibiscus that I started from mixed seeds purchased from George W. Park. One is blooming, the other will if roaming antelopes from the mountain leaves it alone. It has buds I am protecting. The 3rd is from seedling of last year. No buds yet.

I only know the color of one. I think it is Southern Belle. Height is 2 ft.
If someone would explain when to take cuttings, I would love to trade for a tropical Hibiscus.

Here is H. 'Southern Bell' with blooms that reach 8" across

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 31, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #8073942

Closeup of the same HIbiscus

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 31, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #8073953

Blomma, the leaves of that Hardy Hibiscus are very happy and beautiful.

I have many Hardy hibiscus and am doing cuttings for rooting for sell later in September. We plan to sell them here in Las Vegas as plants but I should have some left. I will keep all of you in mind.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8074143

I would like to have cuttings also for postage or trade of other plants. I have several double light pink Rose of Sharon rooting that should be ready soon but no Hibs to trade with.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America