Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Michigan Gardening: Help: Looking for a Rose named Tess

Communities > Forums > Michigan Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Michigan GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7970290

The picture that you see of a dog is Tess. She was my daughter's dog who has just crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Tess was 13 years old. I am looking for a Rose named Tess. I know there has to be one out there. I would like to make a Memorial for Tess where we can put her ashes and and plant a rose.

I did some looking on Help Me Find and did come across several, however it did not say where I could purchase them and my guess is since the Rose was cultivated in New Zeland that is the only place I could purchase it.

Thank you my Michigan friends...

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7971203

so sorry Deann !! hugs to your dughter and family I look for you too
Gloria
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

July 16, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7972099

Tess of the d'Urbervilles, English Shrub (Austin, 1998). Large, bright crimson blooms with a sweet, Old Rose fragrance are deeply cupped when new, opening wide as they mature. The bush is robust, bushy and spreading and can be grown as a medium size, 4-foot shrub or trained to climb 6 to 8 feet. (Zone 5, rr, ff) . Very pretty. Google it for pictures and nurseries that sell and ship this plant.
Sorry about your loss
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
3:33 AM

Post #7972107

Nancy thats the one I was going to say !! very nice rose
Gloria

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7972336

Nancy hit the nail on the head, I bought one several years ago, I was channel surfing and QVC had a rose thing going. You could buy a combination of J.P. roses very reasonable. Tess was one of them. It does quite well, however it is one of the thornest (if that's a word) that I've ever seen.

BTW the A.R.S grades it at a 8.0 which rates it as a solid to very good rose.

Paul

This message was edited Jul 16, 2010 8:58 AM
Zinnia1
Clinton Township, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7974449

Tess of the d'Urbervilles is a lovely rose with a light, fruity scent. My sister planted one several years ago and it is a strong performer for her (she lives in Clarkston) and, amazingly, it is planted in an area that gets mostly dappled sunlight for the majority of the day. Tess of the d'Urbervilles is a David Austin rose and can be ordered through the David Austin website (although the price is high). You may be able to find it at another website for a more reasonable price. Even if you do not order through David Austin, make sure to sign up for his catalog, which is absolutely beautiful.

Sorry to hear of your Tess' passing. Our family lost Ali back in early April. Ali was a wonderful Golden Retriever and 14 years old, which is long-lived for a Golden. She was my sister's dog, but the whole family thought of her as 'our' dog. She is greatly missed by all of us! The attached picture was taken in Feb 2010, right before her 14th birthday.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2010 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by Zinnia1

tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7975863

Hi Deann,
I found this article too, I have been with my Dad so much lately! He now is in the Hospice treatment :( I just met with the Chaplin on Friday, he seemed pretty nice.

tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7975870

Hi Deann,
I found this article too, I have been with my Dad so much lately! He now is in the Hospice treatment :( I just met with the Chaplin on Friday, he seemed pretty nice.

Tootsie

deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7978489

Zinnia

Actually Tess was my daughter's dog...but my "granddog" and we loved her dearly. We all use to call her Queen Tess as she sat where ever she wanted to including my couch.

I share your pain on Ali passing and going to the Rainbow Bridge. I too had to put my beloved Blaze down two years ago. Picture enclosed. Blaze is the shephard on the blue blanket. Cyndee my other shephard and his best friend knew something was not right. The picture was taken the day Blaze crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

I think with so many folks suggesting Tess of d'Urbervilles, that is the rose I shall get.

Tootsie...so sad to hear of your dad's decline in health. I am here if you want to talk. My prayers are with you my friend.

Thank you to all of my good Michigan gardener's for your input.

Paul, you too...

Deann

Thumbnail by deann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Michigan Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
BUTTERFLY house notmartha 39 Mar 7, 2009 11:05 PM
MSU-BBALL notmartha 19 Sep 24, 2009 4:45 PM
Purple Moon Flower Question hairgirl5 9 Apr 11, 2011 5:42 PM
Ideas for Spring NjMcMullen 41 Sep 24, 2008 10:48 PM
the building or the GH notmartha 29 Sep 24, 2009 12:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America