Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Ooops...just found a dahlia tuber

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

I just discovered a forgotten tuber which has a 7" shoot that is 3/8 inch, straight and sturdy, very light green. Should I cut it off or plant with long shoot exposed above soil?;

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Plant it ASAP. If it had been indoors please either harden it off for a week or protect the new growth with an overturned pot for a few days, gradually allowing the plant to have a bit more sun each day.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

pirl-OMG-I thought I was the only one that did that! Not that I'm implying I thought I was original, more like, kind of nerdy...lol. I use them for newly planted sproutes/tubers, to protect from too much sun, wind, rain, etc.

Tammy-ditto what pirl said. You could bury it a little deeper than you might normally, because of the sprouts length (makes it a little delicate?). Unless it's pretty sturdy, then scratch that. I could be wrong on burying it deeper for your zone, that's just what works here. Good luck.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Deeper sounds very good to me, QQ. It will result in a sturdier plant but it still should be staked.

Now I have to hope it's not a 12" plant!

Good luck, Tammy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.