Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gladiolus : Unplanted glad bulbs....what to do???

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 7, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7970823

I have some glad bulbs that I forgot to plant, and no place now to put them. Can I put them in tubs covered with soil to save them?
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

July 28, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8721990

So what have you done with your bulbs? Some how I missed your post when I have visited this forum, or I would have posted sooner since no one else has. I can't remember how many days glads take to bloom. Some longer than other I know as some are classified early, and some late. I did tests this year. I bought some inexpensive bulbs and put 12 bulbs (that was pretty much sitting them all up right next to each other) in a 3 gallon size pot. I've fed them once with Miracle Grow. They are blooming fine. My purpose was to get an early start. So I started them (some) indoors mid-March by using one of those plastic liners that you put under house plant pots. I just filled the bottom of that with potting mix and placed the glads on top with nothing covering them. Once most of them had started new roots and forming a stem shoot, I potted them in the 3 gallon containers about half way down. And I did get blooms about 3 weeks early compared to the earliest garden flowers. I also saved some bulbs in the fridge and started those in June. I was hoping also for some later than normal garden blooms. All seems to be working out as I had hoped.

So after all that, perhaps it's not too late to get yours going in large pots and have blooms in October, that is if you have some large pots.
haweha
Solingen
Germany
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8722469

Inspect your corms. For that purpose CAREFULLY remove the husks of some corms in order to reveal the surface of the bare corm.
Control whether...
- one or more fresh white, green or red tips present that look viable
- blue mold absent and if present then only on the small central circular area on the underside
- insects absent; there is some kind of aphids or lice that feed on bulbs/corms - then the corm will be sticky!
- small insects absent: THRIPS. If there is patches on the surface of the corms that look scarry rather than the surface uniformly looking smooth
BEWARE of Thrips that these, although barely visible without magnifier-glass-lense might ruin your entire efforts. Cheap "color mixtures" and such often INCLUDE live Thrips; an inconvenient truth

If all is fine then plant them into buckets/tubs and such but with drainage holes underneath!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8725242

I have a hard time with Glads. I have some again an east fence in the back and they have bloomed with only mid afternoon sun. Some in tubs on the back deck getting sun all day, some in tubs on front deck, sun later morning, and some in a garden out front, sun all day long. Only the ones on the east fence have bloomed. Oh, and the Atoms against the front (west) side of the house that get sun only around noon or later. Maybe they need more water than I am giving them since the guys in the ground in the back would be moister. The guys in the front bed in full sun are dryer. Or, as you say, some are early bloomers by nature. I will have to check that.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

July 30, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8725629

I know mine in the 3 gallon pots are getting watered every day, but we've had excessive heat the last couple weeks. I water the pots until I see the water coming out the drain holes at the bottom. I counted mine in the pots though, and I think only 8 out of 12 of the early pot have bloomed. We'll see if the others bloom later.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8726015

I really do think that mine are too dry. That would make sense as the ones that have bloomed get more moisture with sun on top and protected bulb and roots.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8726029

I checked and all of mine say August. Spring Maid is the only one who popped early.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Scotchie
Omega, GA

August 22, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8771833

Just now saw this thread. I have many glads. It generally takes around 60 to 100 warm days for glads to bloom. I have them planted to bloom late spring through summer till september. I will plant them about 2 weeks apart the last being the 2nd week in July. The last planted have bloomed, actually last week. I may have more to bloom till september but it won't be very many. If you do not plant your croms then put them in a paper bag and store in a cool, dark place (some use the crisper drawer of their refrigerator). Take out and plant soon as the ground warms in late spring. I have some glads in full sun, 1/2 day sun and some in a little more shade. The ones that get the most shade (or the least sun) will flop over whereas the glads in sun will stay upright usually with little staking.

*This is in zone 8b where most bulbs stay in the ground year round, your location will make a difference. Storing unplanted bulbs is the same.

mstella, I have Atom and think they are beautiful!! These are some of my favorites.

This is Pink Event

Thumbnail by Scotchie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America