-
AuthorContent
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7970844

Well, the guy across the street has dropped the price for his 2 pieces of property. The one next door to me he dropped to $32,000.00. Its a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom single wide trailer with metal car port, storeage shed and 1/2 acre of land at the end of the street. The one across the street for me is a single wide that has had rooms added on to it. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom with over 1/2 acre of land, part of it is enclosed in a chainlink fence from the side of the added on livingroom around the back of the trailer and garages. It has a 2 car garage and a large metal barn building for work area or maybe with some work would make a greenhouse. It is also the last house on that side of the street. He is asking $52, 000.00 for it.
I'm hoping that someone who gardens buys one or both so I will have someone to talk gardening with.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7972631

I know how you feel, Marti. The land all around me is uncared for and allowed to grow weedy. Then those weeds go to seed and fly into my gardens. I'm constantly jerking out things I never planted--all those weeds that my neighbors don't keep mowed down. I put up a privacy fence last year and that helped keep a lot of the junk out of my gardens. But I still have to tend to the gardens outside the fence. Once I get everything replanted, I'll use tons of Preen on the gardens outside the fence.

It would be fun to have neighbors who appreciate gardening and would swap plants and ideas with ya. I hope you get a gardener or two over there.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7972743

The problem here is that no one has gardens. Oh they might have a veggie garden, but flowers no. Most of the people around here just have grass, acres of it and they just mow weekly. There are a few evergreen bushes in yards, but that's about it. When I get my yard done and growing well, I will be the only one with color in their yard.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7972804

That's the way here. The fancier homes will hire a landscaper to put in a Japanese maple and some boxwoods, but most homes here have little or no landscaping. People come tour my gardens and haven't seen half of the plants I am growing. My neighbor stopped one day to ooh and ahh over some "fascinating" plant growing in my yard. Out of all the plants I've deliberately planted, she was most excited about the common mammoth sunflower that was growing from a seed a bird dropped from the bird feeder. She had no idea what it was--a common sunflower!

I think most people find gardening to be too much work; they claim they can't do it with a job and kids. Well, I began all this when I was working overtime in construction and raising my son alone. I think it's just a matter of "want to". We do what we want to do. I'd rather garden than to go see a ball game or go out to a night club. I don't go out of town for vacations because I've created my own vacation spot. So I don't have to waste money and hours driving in a car. I can walk to my vacation "resort" everyday in seconds. LOL

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7972843

That's a beautiful garden. We have neighbors some garden more than others but really I talk more about gardening here on line or with my friends than I do the neighbors. I will say that it is fun to see what some people plant in their yards. Really goes to show that everyone has a different idea. We got new neighbors across the lane, very nice neighbors but not gardeners. They started with it an empty lot and after they built their home. I offered them plants from my yard. She said no thanks she was working with one of the local nurseries, she wanted different and unusual plants. First thing they planted was a Butterfly Bush, Black-eyed Susans and set a potted Dwarf Alberta spruce by the back doors. Can't get much more common around this area. LOL
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7972865

Well, I'm going to continue to work on my yard and have all the plants that I can go in this area. After my trip to Columbus, OH on the 21st, I will have alot of roses to add to my garden. I love roses and with them and the hibiscus and hydrangea, columbine, foxglove, daylilies, iris and anything else I can fit in, I will have color. Lots of color.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7972893

Martl001, Do you or can you share your plants. Sounds like there isn't close neighbors to share plants with. I usually put extras out front with a free sign on them and a note to come to the door with any questions about the plants. I also noticed a woman down the road about a 1/2 mile working along the road edge developing a bed so I stopped and offered her plants. She came over and we did the 2penny tour with a shovel. She has developed a beautiful spot and when I drive by I recognize the plants she got from me.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7972915

Freecycle and Craigslist are great places for giving away plants too. This week, I had a gentleman over to dig up an established wisteria that was eating my patio. I posted an ad on Craigslist saying "It's yours if you're man enough to dig it." Turns out, it wasn't that hard to dig after all, altho it's been in that spot for about 10 years.

For the last couple of months, I've had lots of people here to dig plants I don't want anymore. I'm completely redesigning my gardens into themed "rooms", like English-style gardening. I'm getting rid of many invasive species of plants to grow more well-behaved plants. I was hoping to meet some real gardeners around here, but most people just want a few "pretty flowers" for their yard. Some have asked for more because they never got around to planting the first carload they got from me.

I did meet one lady who lives about an hour away who is truly a gardener. She's been here twice to dig. The second time she trimmed my dog's nails--a special treat since my vet won't do it anymore. (My dog hates it and fights. He's about 100 lbs of mean when you touch his feet.) So this new friend, a former vet tech, had his nails all trimmed in about 2 minutes. How wonderful! We keep in touch and will get together again soon. Wish she lived closer because she's a lot of fun.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7972936

I hadn't thought of those. I was just thinking she might develop some gardening interest in some closer neighbors by providing them with a starter plants.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7972987

There's a freecycle, freesharing, and Craigslist group in many cities now. I created a freesharing group in my city and I asked for a Craigslist group in my area and two weeks later, we had one. They're great ways to meet people and share plants. Marti may have these groups in or near her already. If not, she can create a freecycle or freesharing group herself. With those, you can share anything, not just plants. You do have to get permission from the primary groups to use their names. If there isn't a Craigslist listing near you, you can suggest that they create one for your area.

I've found that many of the people on the freesharing and freecycle groups aren't up for digging. With them, if I dig and bag the stuff, most are happy to pick them up. (A few have actually asked me to dig, bag, label, AND deliver!) With the Craigslist responders, they're usually so happy to get the stuff for free that they'll do practically anything just to have them, like the guy who dug up the well-established wisteria. A couple weeks ago a girl who lives down the road from me answered my Craigslist ad and came and dug up two huge (6 ft tall) yucca plants and hauled them out of here. She was so delighted, altho it took about two hours to get them out. This girl and I would have never met had she not seen my ad on Craigslist, and she just lives right down the road from me.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7973466

Right now I don't have much to share. All my daylilies that I got from the daylily share here on DG and the ones I got from deejay are not ready for me to share. It will be a couple of years for that. The rest of what plants I ahve are seedlings I started from seeds sent to me by DG members. I have been given premission to dig up 3 differet iris beds that someone doesn't want and will be sharing those with some members of DG that I've agreed with starting this month. I will ship as I have money for postage.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7973718

Most of what I have to share are common plants that grow and spread easily.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America