Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Begonias: Idea's ?

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 23, Views: 264
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7972358

I've got a bed I've been working on and am looking for hardy low growing begonia's . Looking at the picture, the far back left where it curve's in, I'd like to silver/ jewel tones.
I'm in Central Florida, and I've got a few, but I'd like to add some other's. Get's intermittent Sun/dappled Sun then afternoon Shade.
Any Ideas ?

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7973447

Even in Zone 9a, I'd think most of the fancier begonias aren't going to be hardy. So looking for specific leaf coloring might be a task.

You could definitely fill-in the area with Begonia Grandis...which is hardy even much farther north. It would create thick growth, and establish itself over the years to come. Consider putting some annual begonias in there...even cane-types...and then you could enjoy plenty of different textures and colors. You'd need to keep tip cuttings for the next year...or dig-up the cane-types...as I doubt they'd survive overwinter. But they might be worth the show nonetheless!

Keep in mind that canes can get fairly tall in a growing season...and might be best in the center area...while typical bedding begonias (Charm, etc) would do well on the periphery of the bed.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7977488

In addition to B. grandis, Plant Delights,( http://www.plantdelights.com ) carries a number of very hardy begonias. Few, if any, have fancy. colorful leves but they are good bloomers. I bought several last fall, some rhizmatomous and some canes, and they are doing well. A couple did lose their leaves during the winter but they came right back in the spring. I thought I lost a tuberous begonia in a pot a few years ago and left the pot outside but it too surprizes me each spring. Canes like Sophie Cecile are very hardy, mine has been outdoors for 10 years now, there must be others.

I am not sure where Deland is or how cold you get. I live on a sea island and we rarely get freezing temps but this past winter certainly was the exception.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7977995

Hi,
I do have Sophie Cecile, never thought about leaving it in the ground over the winter, I've always grown it in a pot. The ones I have in the ground now are I believe Rex Begonia's. Low growing, with pretty foliage, in different jewel tone colors and with some silver edging. Also one similar with very soft velvety leaves. These all came back from low to mid 20's degree freezes, they had been heavily mulched. I was surprised to see them come back. I'm definitely not interested in the annual begonia's unless it was something that had very pretty foliage. I'll need to do a bit more research.
Thanks
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7980846

I think Begonia boliviensis might be hardy for you. I read someone say that when it get a little older it starts growing more upright.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7980860

Here's another one:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/begonia_metallic_mist_pp__07819.html

That looks really nice to me. I'll see if I can find others for you.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7980890

ohhh, Thank You !!!
that's more what I looking for. Where I'm planning on putting these stays pretty cool, as it's under an Live Oak hammock, and gets dappled sun/Shade throughout the day. I need to take pics of the Begonia's that are out there. Ones got very dark leaves that feel almost like velvet.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7980947

Begonia sutherlandii. I've had this for a few years as a houseplant. I think it's supposed to be hardy in your area.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2165/

Barbara Rogers

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/127143/

B. chitoensis (not much to look at maybe?)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/124516/

Not sure if that's all. Someone should try crossing these with Begonia grandis. I don't think I have the patience.
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7985574

The toughest cane-type begonias I have are Sophie Cecile, Lana, Torch, etc...and they may all come back each spring if planted in the ground. I would put a layer of mulch over them in winter...something like cypress or cedar to deter critters.

The 'weaker' canes I have are Looking Glass, Sinbad, and Frosty (a couple of which are hybrids). They may not do so well.

I didn't realize Plant Delights had those...so thanks for sharing. PD is definitely a reputable dealer...with a hefty catalog of rareties.

I have to admit y'all are making me a little jealous with your not-so-cold winters! As easily as cane-types root from cuttings, I'd have a yard FULL of them if I lived in your area...and knew they'd come back. All the best...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7985625

Not sure where Deland is in FL but West Palm Beach has many growers with almost every type of begonia growing in the landscape.

The co-chair for the ABS convention last year (who had her yard as one of the tours) said even though they had a couple of frosts this winter, did not do a lot of damage to her hundreds of begonias in the yard and most came back with a fury and bloomed up a storm.

I would seek out your nearest ABS branch(es) in your area and see how other members care for their begonias in winter.

Here is one of her canes late April 2009.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7996779

I have Sophie Cecile, and Looking Glass, what I'm really looking for tho is the low flat growing ones...I really like the Begonia "Metallic Mist" ...
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7997055

When you said 'low and flat' I thought of this: Orococo. It's in the plantfiles.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7997416

Sounds like you are wanting rhizomatous begonias.

Metallic Mist is supposedly hardy to zone 7 and maybe colder and hails from Terra Nova Nursery (Dan Heims is the owner and hybridizer of this begonia and lots of heucheras).

A huge Holley Moon at a West Palm Beach home.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7997940

hc, aren't there a lot of begonias that would be hardy in 9a?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7997975

Lots! I read that some gardeners in Tampa and WPB may lose some due to a colder than normal winter but most bounce back with gusto.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7998205

mjsponies, if I lived where you do I would just try all sorts to see what will make it and what won't. There should be quite a few trailing begonias that would grow low if planted in ground shouldn't there?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8001707

killdawabbit...I think your right...I keep meaning to take pics of the ones I have...They did freeze back and came back up. The bed they are in is heavily mulched under an Oak Tree Canopy. They are very well behaved..spreading low and flat...I'll google rhizomatous begonias too...

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8001711

wow...very brief look, there are ton's to sort thru !
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8002283

It's dangerous to search for begonias! Watch your wallet, please. ;-)
begoniaguy
Saint Petersburg, FL

July 29, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #8004480

I worked in Tampa for several years at a location with a lot of different begonias in a oak shaded bed. Almost everything would come back after a bout of cold weather. If it didn't, it was usually in poor condition before the cold. For specific suggestions, try 'Joe Hayden' , popenoi, 'Torch', nelumbifolia, 'Sophie Cecile', 'Washington State', 'Beefstake', odorata, 'Plum Gorgeous', 'Orange Rubra', heracleifolia, Lots more I'm sure. The tops will melt away (which needs to be removed immediately) but they will resprout from the base.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8005100

oh, my wallet has long since been stretched by Salvia's, Vines ...lots of vines...Hoya's, vines...did I say vines already ? ok...got some specific names to go on here too...
oh...I already have one that looks like Joe Hayden, and heracleifolia, and I have Sophie Cecile. I like Escargot, but that's a Rex...ummm do ya think ? Anyone know where I can get a Metallic Mist?
How about Iron Cross begonia, metallica, found that while looking for Metallic Mist...very cool.
So I'm looking on Ebay...always find neat stuff there...begonia fireworks is nice...
Cissus Discolor Rex Begonia Vine - Oh Joy ! A Begonia Vine ! whoo hoo...
ohhh, Snowman spiral ?
ok...so most of these are probably boarderline...I'll be back ! Thanks...hey is there ever a Begonia swap ?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #8005128

Have you checked to see if there are local ABS chapters close to you? That would be your best bet.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #8005486

There's not one near me, Tampa, Miami and Palm Beach...I'll keep looking, I know what "look" I'm after, height, just got to find the plant...
you guys have been helpful at least I have some place to start now !
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #8009289

mjsponies,
i would stick with the rhizomes like b.carribean queen, b. carribean corsair, b. pomponeii, b. carribean king, and odorata would be great. i wouldn't waste my money on any rex or especially iron cross to put in the ground. i would keep those in pots. i have lost so many rexes and even an iron cross that i babied and still they died. all the previous ones i have never had a problem with and even last year with the cold just the edges got a little brown but in the spring came back as usual. there are a couple of nurseries down here called PHOE- palm hammock orchid estates and excelsa gardens in loxahatchee always has great begonias not sure about phoe shipping though.

Thumbnail by candela

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America