Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: HELP! Zoysia sod is turning brown fast

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 21, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7976359

I put in new Zoyzia sod, have given it plenty of water except when we've had rain storms. It looked great, we mowed it last week for 1st time at recommended 4" height. noticed couple of brown spots so increased water. it grew back in a week(slow growing?) so we mowed again today, same 4" and it looks so brown all over! could it be something other than water? I'm sick, please give me some suggestions.
Thanks for any help !
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7976400

We have zoysia for over 25 years and it is beautiful. it is like stepping on a carpet!!! I let my husband read your post and he said too much fertilizer. Did you fertilize? They are very low maintenance, DH mows ours low every 3 weeks. i will see if I can post our yard. This is the front. Belle

Thumbnail by bellieg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7976403

This is the back yard. These pictures were taken in Sept 9, 2009

Thumbnail by bellieg

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7976433

Can you say a little more about how long ago the sod was put in, what sort of prep work you did to get the ground ready for it, how often you're watering, etc? Too much water can cause fungal problems which can manifest themselves as brown spots, but if the sod is really new it's also possible that if your weather's been hot that it needs more water than what you've been giving it. And if the ground wasn't prepared right and the sod wasn't laid properly, it might not be in good enough contact with the ground to really be taking root, and is slowly dying because of that. Some pictures might help too.
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7976441

Hi Belle,
That's what out lawn looked like after 1st cutting. No, we haven't fertilized it. One thing, the front lawn that's turned brown is over the septic tank and drain fields. On the other side of the driveway, no drain fields, the grass is plush & green. Wonder if the septic is providing fertilizer and burning the grass from the roots???
Anyone else got ideas?
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7976458

It went in about 2 mos ago. at 1st I had the springlers on 1hr am & pm...1st month
We had the old grass(weeds) torn out, soil tilled and hard raked. within 2 wks we had good contact...we couldnt lift the sod at all. This was all done by landscaper who has since managed to survive a head on collision. He's out for quite a while. We followed his instructions about decreasing the watering and the grass was lush. We have had very hot humid weather for a month but as of last week it looked fine after mowing. What do you think about the septic & drain fields?
I'll go out and try to get a couple of pics.
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7976513

This pic was taken 7/14

Thumbnail by Sicula

Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7976547

This is after 2nd cutting...3 days later

Thumbnail by Sicula

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7976571

The 2nd picture is the side of the house. I will post the back yard. I think i have pictures this year.i am using my lap top down stairs so I will post more pics later.

Ecrane,

We put plugs, thousands of them but before the project we bought 8 truck loads of top soil . We had fescue when we bought the house but the upkeep was too much, weeds and fungus not to mention the frequent mowing.

We also cut a lot of the trees because zoysia does not grow well in the shade. We also have a sprinkler system and goes on MWF and DH sometimes put it on on weekends when needed.

Sicula,
My husband thinks the browning is from chemicals if it is just on top of your septic tank. Dh mows every 3-4 weeks real short like 1 inch. I showed him your grass and he said too long.

Our grass is weed free, every March we he spread crabgrass control and late spring weed and feed. We do not have crabgrass.He also put something for ticks.

I have more pictures of the yard on several thread like lasagna gardening . I hope I answered your questions. Belle
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7976574

Another from today. We accidentally cut the 1st 2 swathes in fore ground of pic too short but the rest is 4 1/4"

Thumbnail by Sicula

Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7976594

another shot from today (a little blurry)

Thumbnail by Sicula

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 17, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7976616

The 2nd picture,you are cutting it too long. .I also noticed that you have sprinkler system so it should not be a lot of work maintaining it. Belle
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7976732

This is from after today's mowing. NOT the side with the septic & drain fields.

There have been no chemicals applied. We are mowing 4" as recommended by everyone I have checked with. I lived in VA BCH for 25 years when Zoyzia first became popular distributed by Harry at VA BCH Feed & Seed. I know it gets hot there in summer but nothing like it is here. Perhaps thats why the 4" is necessary. I dont know but Im hoping to get some more advice/opinions.
Thank you all.

Thumbnail by Sicula

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 18, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7977209

I know Harry from seed and feed, I have some plants on consignment over there.He had expanded and has more help but I like buying my veggie seedlings from him. I too buy my preserves from him.

Good luck with you zoysia and keep us updated with the upkeep. Here is this years pics. This is the center of the backyard. Belle

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 8:38 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7977427

Belle,
When you see Harry next, tell him the Bow Wow Barber says hi!
Thanks
Doreen
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 20, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7982529

Doreen,
I went to see harry and it very busy so i did not give your message however I am bringing him black EE on consignment today. Belle
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 23, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7991136

I would NEVER cut my lawn to 1 inch. My grass is St Augustine (Floratam) and would do rather poorly at 1 inch. You risk the blades not being able to regrow, invite crabgrass invasion, and allow pests to more easily penetrate your lawn. The longer the blade, the more moisture can be held, the better it holds up to our summer anyways!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 23, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7991803

St Agustine is a different story. We are talking about Zoysia in Virginia which we have for over 25 years. It is weed free and there is an upkeep regimen during spring and early summer . My husband cuts our real low but again we have a sprinkler system so the grass is lush.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 4:59 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 26, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7997677

Wow your grass looks great! I guess different types are managed at different heights. Down here, you can kill a nice, lush, green lawn quite quickly cutting to an inch or below.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 27, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7999437

Doreen,
Went to see Harry but I was not able to talk to him b3cause there were tons of customers. He closed his Portsmouth nursery after the big storm Isabel. How is your Zoysia? No problem with ours even with this heat since zoysia thrives in the heat. Belle
Sicula
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8025644

Hi Belle,
I cut back on the watering and it has come back. I learned that Zoysia can get shocked by too much water & turn brown. I've got to monitor & tweek the irrigation system since we get rain storms almost every day, sometimes 10 minute sprinkle and sometimes downpour for an hour. I've got it at 4" and it's like a plush carpet now. Thanks, Doreen
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 8, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8027725

I am glad your zoysia is thriving. ours is really pretty at this time of the year. they love the hot weather!! Do nt let the grass creep into your flower beds. Use round up at the edges. Belle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America