Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hibiscus: Hibiscus ID Please???

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 31, Views: 197
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7977516

i'm "new" to hibiscus gowning coming from a zone 4...this has curly leaves and the flower is curly! i got it at an open market and the man didn't know what it was?? i'm certain someone will know...please!

thanks!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7982787

No ONE???? yikes...is that good or bad???
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7983092

I am not an expert but I will try to help you. It seems that the mass produced tropical hibiscus like Walmart, Lowe's and open markets carry are not named cultivars...Cultivars can only be reproduced by grafting and are more expensive. Others can be reproduced by seeds but the colors are never true to the parent. They are just generic tropical hibiscus. Someone please tell me if I'm incorrect.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7983569

dark...thanks so much for the info...

actually this vendor has some of the most unique cultivators i have seen since logees...however, out on the open market square. i grabbed this one...and actually had to "covet" it...as the booth was extremely crowded with those knowing what a nice find this was. ( picked up 3 others that logee's now has as well from the same vendor).

this particular market has some of the most unusual orchids and plants about...so, i have never seen any similar in home depot or lowes...walmart...they are all basically the same cultivators..although on occasion i have found an "odd" something at home depot.

thanks again for the info!
guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7983620

I can't be of any help...sorry.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7984185

well...i actually forgot to ask dark...which lowes or home depot or walmart... had it..i would love to buy more...??? also, if it's common shouldn't some one know the name...you'd think...????

thanks guam...i'm beginning to believe...or maybe think... this grower may have grown this themselves since no can id it???
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7984203

if it is just a common generic Tropical Hibiscus is will not have a name.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7984220

what's the common name for the curly leave one??? just the generic name??? would appreciate it dark...thanks!!
guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7984342

Karen, just to clarify, if you are trying to replicate a cultivated variety it's possible to grow them from rooted cuttings as well as by grafting. Some CVs don't grow well on their own root or root well so they are propagated by grafting onto root stock. It is also possible to grow hibiscus from seed however this is where the seedlings will not be true to the parent.

Tobee, it is possible that this is a named variety that I'm not familiar with and someone else might know it. It is also possible that the vendor cultivated it themselves, named it but didn't register it or any variation between those two. As long as you love it that's all that matters. Besides, then you can call it whatever you like :-)

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7984402

thanks guam...so much appreciate the info...it's not a great picture of the colors...it's intense yellow with veins of bright red throughout. i truly have never seen any like it b4. and although, i have never used them in my personal gardens as i just moved from a zone 4 to a zone 9b...it's finally nice to add a few here and there.

i am always loving and looking for the strange and unusual and apparently, this grower has done a fine job. the other i got for him the only place i have seen those cultivars were, in fact, at logees.

ahhhhhh...no, i would never name something i have not cultivated or raised myself!!! i really don't even know her personality!! LOL...i have two coleus i was able to name through my 20 plus years of being a grower, designer of gardens..but even in the greenhouses i never would take the room for the lovely hibiscus, as it was not a big seller in my area nor incorporated into my designs for that reason.

now...they are just pure fun!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7984418

Bear in mind the colors during the summer are usually much paler than during the fall when the weather cools down some. They are sometimes hard to ID this time of year.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7984434

really ardesia????...i just can't believe this lovely flower could even be prettier and brighter in color!!

i love my "new" zone!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7984467

Check out some of these photos on Barry Schleuter's site.
http://www.barryschlueter.com/Hibiscus_Seeds_by_Barry_Schlueter/Gallery_of_Flowers.html
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7985167

o know!!! thanks a lot!! LOL i "NEED" a frostbite!!! really...what colors is that???
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7985252

LOL, color? IDK

A few years ago the browns/greens (think baby poop) were very big.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7985771

ardesia wrote:LOL, color? IDK

A few years ago the browns/greens (think baby poop) were very big.

hehehe...RIGHT!! now i reconize the color!!

i want a blue!!!!!...HATE paying for it at logee's

had some hardy hibiscus when the first tree rose of sharons blues came out i had a few up north...glad to see i was able to find them much cheaper here. i put a few here, because of this past winter (r first here)...we had 18 days of below freezing temps i lost so much but the worse was... we lost what the horticulturist i worked with for some many years...referred to as...the "holy grail" it was an almost all white albino Furcraea...didn't bring it in...after all it's florida isn't it????...after having it over 5 years up north in the SNOW...and lost it in florida!!

now that's going to take years to get over!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7985804

You mean like this Blue Bayou? Actually, it had more lavender in it but the camera saw it this way, no photoshopping.

You were lucky to have your albino plant for 5 years, they rarely last long without the ability to photosynthesize. I have 3 variegated false agaves and they do not like the cold but with a bit of protection (blankets thrown over them on the coldest nights) they made it.

Thumbnail by ardesia

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7985816

ardesia...can i please have that!! LOL!!! that is absolutely beautiful!

i know the cold hardy ones that bloomed up north were in fact really blue...i think i'll stick with the baby poop one then..LOL!!!...how could one possibly be disappointed knowing what color to expect from that one!

i don't know what it is, but blue flowers of any sort have always fascinated me!
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #7985821

I'm new to Tropical Hibiscus, as I don't have any yet but one Walmart generic...I am in love with the baby poop colors! Guess I am a year or two behind the times, haha!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7985846

dark me too!! that site:

http://www.barryschlueter.com/Hibiscus_Seeds_by_Barry_Schlue...

that ardesia provided...i just want to LIVE there!

nope dark...we can't find those at walmart...not even lowes...LOL!!

as you can see ardesia...although i know naughty...i'm not into photosynthesizing...it's so bad for the plant ...but so beautiful and strange for the moment

Thumbnail by tobee43

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7985874

Sadly, I lost that Blue Bayou. Between an unusually cold winter and the d@#m deer, I lost many of my prized hibiscus.

Have you seen MisBehavin? I lost that one too but if I ever see that one again - it is mine.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7986445

ahhhhhhh ardesia...i truly am sorry to hear that. i tried to find a picture on that site...i'll have to google it...but while i was there i sure like the Lunar Eclipse...now that's crazy!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7986717

Sorry, I wasn't clear, that site only showed Barry Schleutert's own introductions.

This is the Mis Behavin I am lusting after. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/235161/

There is a another good grower that might be close to you, they are in Summerfield, FL - http://www.hibiscusplace.com

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7986897

you really want me to get divorced!!! LOL...o my they are so beautiful ...i really can't look...i'm going want to buy and i have to wait!!!

you are so sweet to provide the site for me...thanks so much!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7987527

LOL, just don't name me in any divorce litagation...

I think the Hibiscus Place carries the Barry Schleuter hibs, you know you have to have some. :-)
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7987850

Ardesia,

I have a Mis behavin plant on the way from tried and true. When it comes time to trim it, if you are still looking, I will give you a cutting.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7987982

Thank you, I believe that is where I got the last one but I had forgotten their name.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7988051

lol...me either ardesia!!...after the gingers and all the stuffs i purchased this first season down here my husband's NOT a happy camper!!

if he knew what i spent on my ae ae musa! well, there r just some things they need NEVER ever know!

what a nice thing to do blue for ardesia!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7988481

Yes it is a nice thing, I just checked Tried and True's website and they are sold out of EVERYTHING until they can root more plants.
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7994252

I know that Barry Schlueter's Hibiscus can be found at Home Depot & Lowe's. They are sold in Texas from Hine's Nursery & are called the Bahama Bay series. He told me to ask the managers at the garden centers to stock them & if they said they couldn't to watch their nose grow. Have done that & have found a few by doing that. Seems like he told me you could get them in Tx, Al, La & Ga but not Fla. Don't really know about any of the other states. Have also found some of the Dupont Cajun plants at Home Depot in Dallas but not Fort Worth...yet. They need to be educated to what we WANT & I call & tell the managers what I'm looking for. It's worth a phone call to try it. They are really nice big plants...2.5 or 3 gallon size pots & blooming. Its so exciting to make a "good find"! Of course I need a flower fix pretty often so I may have to make a trip to Dallas soon. Stay cool.

Hugs,
Judy
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7994925

You are correct, his plants are available as the Bahama Bay series in some HD's but for some reason they are not available at all in many areas. I think the only place you can find them in GA is in Atlanta and we can't get them at all in SC and only a few areas in FL can find them. Bahama Bay is owned by Hines Horticulture which used to distribute shrubbery to SC big boxes but you can't find their hibiscus. I have asked the managers, many times over, but certain patented plants are difficult to get. You Texans are fortunate to be able to find the pretty ones.
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7999283

We don't find them that easy in Ft Worth but Dallas which is 30 miles away gets a lot more "good" plants. Have a friend over there who emails me when he finds something. Don't usually like to drive in Dallas as I get lost as a goose but I have. The urge to have my Hibiscus fix is stronger than my fear of getting lost. Naturally.

Hugs,
Judy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America