Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Pickled Sugar Peas

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7977821

Has anyone ever pickled pea pods before? I had an excellent one at a restaurant recently but haven't been able to find any to purchase. I went looking for recipes in my books, but nothing.

Found a few online that contain peppers. Suppose I can just take those out. Anyway… would love to hear if anyone has some experience with this.
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7978617

I haven't pickled them but Joy of Pickling has a recipe for Pickled Snap Peas. It calls for white wine vinegar, water, pickling salt, a bit of sugar, snap peas, garlic cloves, 1-2 small dried hot peppers, tarragon.

In any recipe like that, the garlic, the peppers and the tarragon could be deleted individually or entirely.

I can post the recipe if you like.

Carol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7979015

Thanks Carol. That's the recipe I'm seeing too. Are peppers a common part of pickling?

Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7979036

I'd say dried red peppers are fairly common. They're usually found in pickling spice blends. Part of it is aesthetic. They add color to the jar. And part of it is heat, like any pepper.

But there's no reason to use it if you don't want to. Dried elements can be added or deleted at will in pickling recipes. Because they're dried they don't affect safety.

Sometimes, also, people cook the spices in the pickling syrup but then pull them out before pouring the liquid into the jars. That results in a milder flavor, as spices tend to get stronger the longer they sit on the shelf.

Also remember any pickle benefits from aging; the flavors mellow.

Carol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7979300

I was actually wondering if peppers are common to pickling, not common in general. I've never pickled before, you can probably tell. I think they would LOOK superb, but wonder if it makes them really hot. I suppose I could try some with and without.

Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

July 18, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7979531

I use peppers in almost all of my pickles (dilly beans, cuke pickles, carrots etc.).. it all depends on the peppers you use and your particular tastes. My family enjoys things with a little more kick ~ just not to the point of burning off tastebuds ;-)
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7979607

Yes, they are common but not required. I sometimes use Jimmy Nardelle or some other sweet red variety as the color looks so pretty in the jars. I use that Pickled Snap recipe and we really like the tarragon. It is my DGD favorite pickled veggie.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7980007

okay. great to know. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America