Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: do sweet potatoes have to be cured?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

July 18, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7979088

do you do any thing with sweet potatoes when you harvest them ? I was told you need to cure them after you pick them. If so how do you do this and do you have to cure them if you are canning them ? Thanks for any info .
Tammy
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7979183

If you cure them, they give up a percentage of water which makes them much sweeter than fresh dug. There are a lot of complicated procedures for curing. But I just do like past generations did. Spread out on the floor of a dry shed ( we use to use the corn house in my youth) for two three weeks while the weather is still warm. Just cant't let them get below 50 degrees or crowd ( no more than 3-4 layers) them when they are sweating. For canning it probably does not make that much difference, but properly cured they will keep through spring in the pantry or a spare heated room.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2010 8:04 PM
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7980187

How do you know WHEN sweet potatoes are ready to be harvested..??.. I stuck some 'shoots' off a sweet potato that I was going to throw out...just as an experiment...hoping for some potatoes for Thanksgiving.

I've got some beautiful vines all over the place...but not sure that there are any new potatoes growing anywhere. ??
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7980334

In most areas, they are dug just before the first expected frost and cured during Indian summer. Some folks wait till frost, pull the vines to prevent the blackening of the vine to drain back into the potaoes and dig at thier leisure. In warmer climates like here in Georgia, I start digging about the first of October as they do not grow much after the fall equinox.
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7981702

Thanks Farmerdill --- I'm presuming then that the actual potato is formed where I planted the shoot..??..
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

July 20, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7984416

Farmerdill , I have a garage undergrounnd it is dry but heated do you think this would work to cure them . and do they need to be stored in a cool place?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7984470

Certainly work for storage as long as it does get below 50 degrees. probably work for curing as long as the humidity is low. Yes the potatoes are storage roots which should be concentrated at the base of the plant. Smaller potatoes will of course form wherever the plants sends roots into the ground.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America