Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Growing Echinacea from seed

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 6, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sunnyside_One
Fayetteville, WV
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7980084

I've been looking for help to grow Echinacea from seed on the web. The advice I'm finding says to stratify the seed for about four weeks in the refrigerator and then sow the seeds early in the spring. Also, the general consensus seems to be that the plants will bloom poorly in the first year and then bloom nicely in the second year. Now for my question... Can I stratify seed now for about four weeks; then start the plants in small pots and then plant them in a permanent location yet this summer so I can have nice blooming plants next year? If Echinacea is a perennial, I would assume that the plants would survive the winter and take off growing in the spring and bloom as second year plants. Possibly, if my approach is good, will the plants be well enough established by the first freeze around Halloween to survive the winter? I'm in West Virginia btw with average minimum temperatures around 5-10 degrees. Thanks for any help.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 10:54 AM
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7980251

Sounds like lots of trouble to germinate echinacea. I wintersow the seeds and let mother nature do the stratifying for me. They do take a long time to germinate, but the results and the fact that it is easy makes the wait worthwhile. There's a ton of info on the wintersowing forum...Come on down, it's addicting, lol!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7987140

Any special tips on harvesting the seeds.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8000980

Holly--

This may not be "gospel"--but I have found, through trial and error, with several plants (B.E.S.--Zinnias--Marigolds, etc.) that only the seeds that are attached to the flower petals, and mostly the bottom row, are good seeds. Never mind all the other seeds in the "cone"--they are "empty"--and will not germinate.

Anyone else have an opinion on this???? Gita
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #8001677

Actually, echinacea seeds are sorta between those sharp pointy parts. I wear gloves when pulling the dry cone part apart 'cause those things can hurt! The seeds will be down in there near the base of them. Here's a link to what the actual seeds look like.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/profile501.html

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #8002429

tgg--
Thanks!!!! And last year I was pulling off the dried petals and removing the "seeds" from them...Lots and lots...
I owe an appology to anyone that took these at out Seed Swap this Spring...

Lesson learned! G.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8003416

Glad to help, G:)) Think you'll have better germination from now on, lol!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America