Begonia bipinnatifida

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

HC, you probably can help me on this. I have tried this begonia twice now and it just rots away after growing a little while. Same potting mix and same environment as my successful ones.
Thanks to anyone who can help. I really want to have this one.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Put it in a terrarium. When it dries out too much it will wilt, then add a little water to it if it is planted in the terrarium.

I have mine in a big jar in the original pot. When it wilts I remove the pot and water it thoroughly and let it drain in the sink. I also clean any algae and fallen leaves in the jar at this time. I've had it for 3 years so far.

I had a nice bushy one that grew like a weed outdoors in our humid summer weather of the south. When I moved it indoors for winter it died in a few short weeks.

Lesson learned - keep this in a terrairum.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Gotcha. Fortunately I am converting my 125 aquarium to just that. :-)
Your soil mix?

I don't know what the soil mix was (looked like quite a bit of perlite) since I carried this on the plane from the 2007 L.A. convention (bought it while at Kartuz). Half the soil fell out so I added Miracle Gro potting mix a little earlier this year and it holds water a lot better. Kicking myself for not adding more soil a year or two earlier.

Here was my old Bipi that was quite thick while outdoors.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Also, could you post a pic of yours?

And a mother bipi plant at a commercial nursery.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

oops...posted over you. Beautiful plant.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow! 2nd photo is awesome. Thanks.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That is a beautiful Begonia! Too bad it needs a terrarium!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.