AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 20, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7982559

Lets hope this last part of July is kinder in the weather department.
No more storms!!

Calm.
Sunny.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7982644

Good Morning! I slept in today and it waited to rain till I was out in the kitchen :o) I woke up in the night and saw lightning way way in the south-west. It took all night to get here and we are being skimmed by the ''top'' of it's range. Mosquitos were on my mind, so I Googled them. Interesting. It takes longer to hatch than I thought. They were out more yesterday, so a new batch is hatching :o(

We'll have a high of 80F
Scattered T-Storms
Wind: From the Southeast at 8 mph
Precip: 60 %
Max. Humidity: 83 %
UV Index: 7 High

Dyson, it's always nice to look at a rain guage.

Pepper, that is pretty scarey about the highway. Is it one you use a lot? So that's why I couldn't get a picture of my butterfly! Good job! That's better than him sitting!! Don Juan isn't hardy here, but it's a pretty one!

Sunfarm, DD has the wild and not every berry we picked was sweet either. That's why we eat handfuls, LOL!

Thanks for the new thread Bernie. I've never been first in line :o)
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7982658

Yes, Appreciate the new thread. We had a major line of thunderstorms cross Kentucky last night but we were on the southern periphery. Got 0.05" while Lexington had about an inch, 60mph winds that took down tents at the fair, etc. More storms headed this way this morning and for most of the rest of the week.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7982730

Sunfarm, it's fair week here too and the rain still came even tho it's almost a week later than usual.

I'm so glad we aren't having the winds. That's a lot of work putting the tents back up.

Our rain is done now.

Sunny bright Heliopsis!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7982797

As the news said it cause of rain drain for 2 months then it down like big hole on I-435 and I-70...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7983223

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie! I posted on the previous thread but I'll post again here:

Bernie: I don't think our weather is going to be any "kinder"--it is still hot and humid and still no rain--at least in my part of the state.
BP: a high of 80 would be welcome here LOL but not the mosquitoes--we have enough of those, thank you very much! They even have a mosquito festival every year in one of our more eastern counties--have fried mosquitos and all kinds of treats! Yuck! Gorgeous heliopsis!
Sunfarm: those were some pretty strong winds! I do think the wild blackberries have more flavor than the tame ones.
Rusty: I am not surprised that the road caved in if there has been a lot of rain in that area. Sometimes the construction engineers don't do as good a job as they should when it comes to building roads (or anything else, for that matter).

Here's the weather again:
# Today: A mix of clouds and sun. High 93F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Some passing clouds. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

I was able to go out and take some pics this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7983225

This is whirling Butterflies guara.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7983387

Thanks, Bernie, for the new thread but I'm still trying to catch up from the last one! LOL

My gaura stopped blooming and turned green from red. I think I need to put it in more sun.

78.6 F with 92 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 5 out of 16
Pollen: 4.90 out of 12
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

BP, have I mentioned how much I love this?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7983483

Waving to everyone!!!!!

I'm just going to say that it's hot, temps in the mid 90's and heat index between 105 to 110 for all of the 15 day forecast and beyond that, with only 20% chance of isolated thunderstorms. It's gonna get nasty...
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7983664

In defense of highway engineers, sometimes sinkholes form where nothing was previously amiss. Dry weather can cause them to show up. A 60' hole opened in a subdivision in Lexington last week. Luckily it was under a yard and sidewalk, not someone's house or the street. Many years ago there was a huge sinkhole opened in my neighborhood that took the entire backyard; another opened under a factory floor. They had to pour many truckloads of lean concrete into them to fill them. I'm glad we no longer live there; it was always a worry!

Hot and humid, with scattered showers again today.

Got squirrel problems.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7983897

Details for Tuesday, July 20 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms during the evening. Partly cloudy skies after midnight. A few storms may be severe. Low 72F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Got paid today - so will pick up a new rain gauge & have it installed by the weekend. I will of course be doing the installing as I trust absolutely no one else with a measuring device of any kind. Ric and Bernie would be the exceptions to that rule but I don't think they could get here by the weekend.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7983983

Sunfarm, I got distracted for just a second by a cat fight. I read..."Got Squirrell?"
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7984016

Pepper, you've got some really nice flowers.

The thing that happens where my mom and dad live is mine subsidence. About a mile from their house there was a whole school that had to be abandonned.

Quoting:..."Got Squirrell?"

Oh, yeah. Want some? I didn't think so. ;-) Actually, squirrels are some of the less troublesome mammals in our yard, probably because we don't grow nuts or soft-skinned fruit. They will take citrus but it isn't their first choice.

DH and I still can't get rid of these colds. My mom said that we must have the Tasmanian punies. That's a joke of hers.

Temperature back to something more normal.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 20, 2010
84 F
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 60 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE

bunch o' stuff on the front slope This would make a challenging jigsaw puzzle.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7984020

pride of Barbados

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7984042

volunteer sunflower
You can see that the leaf below the flower has holes in it. Lesser goldfinches do that. I guess they eat it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7984504

Well, here at home the temps were in the mid to high 80s and it was partly sunny. In the town where I was at today for a softball tournament, Concordia, it rained this morning, was quite chilly and breezy to those of us in shorts and sleeveless shirts, then was mostly cloudy most of the day. Around 4pm I heard there was storms up north, then the storms moved south and hit us. 60 mph winds, hail in some places and sheets of rain. Lots of lightning and thunder. Now it's mostly south of us and the thunder appears to have almost dimished around here.

We had our softball tournament with the other stores (6 of them) in our chain today. They broke us up into 4 teams with people from all stores on all teams and we played 2 games at a time. My team ended up in 3rd. Not too bad considering everyone was having a hard time getting traction to run. They had laid fresh sand in the fields and with the mud underneath we couldn't get traction and were literally running in place. By the time we got going the team in the field manages to get on their feet and get the ball to base and whoever was running was out. I managed to hit first base one time. That was it. LOL

One of my clematis plants looks like it's dying. Does anyone know what this is? None of my others look like this and I haven't see jap beetles yet.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #7985022

Sorry, Pepper. I need a better picture to try to help. That's sad. Maybe something broke it at the bottom? It happened to one of mine this Spring.

94 today, 100 tomorrow.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #7985088

70 and just right! We'll see 85.

Hi Rusty, been thinking about you. It will take a while to get the road fixed.

Marsue, I don't care to eat mosquitos either!! I just cut myself a bouquet of the exact rudbeckia and I love gaura!

Celia, it is a winner isn't it! I am amazed at the color everytime I walk past mine :o)

Hi Chrissy, sounds like nasty!

Sunfarm, sinkholes are something else. I hope to never see one in my front yard. Mr. Squirrel doesn't think there's a problem, unless it's that eye looking at him.

Dyson, a serious and solomn ceremony. May the rains fall into your guage accurately :o)

Celia, ''got squirrel?'' Cracked me up!

Kelli, love your Mom's sense of humor. My neighbor can't shake her sinus evern after two bouts of medicine. Super germs beginnig? You have to wonder. Wow, love that color!! A very challanging puzzle! Beautiful pictures and interesting about the finches.

Pepper, those are the winds we could have had for two days and we didn't. I'm so glad, but sorry you keep getting hit! Wow, 3rd! Not bad at all for the Flintstone style :o) Boy, it really died.

Celia, those are so pretty! Are they the knee highs? Is that such a thing, or am I thinking of another flower?

My yard is mowed and more weeds are pulled. I sat in the andirondack chair and read a magazine with my Tiki torch blazing :o)
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7985187

I love to watch the squirrels, but not in the birdfeeders! We have both gray squirrels (in previous picture) and fox squirrels (here). We even had flying squirrels a few years ago but haven't seen them lately.

Thundershower in progress now, but most of storms have passed by to our north, again.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7985195

Celia: my guara bloomed in the spring then stopped and is now blooming again. Yours may do the same thing. Don't you just love the blooms on those monardas! I have a Jacob Cline which is red and the bloom never ceases to fascinate me.
Dyson: getting paid is good! :o))
Crissy: Hi! waving back ~~~ hope to see you at Charlotte's in August. :o))
Celia and Sunfarm: Yep--I "got squirrel" --several of them as a matter of fact and they drive poor Friday silly running across the top of the fence. He thinks he can catch them! ROFLOL
Kelli: pretty flowers. I really like the Pride of Barbados. "Tasmanian punies"---a funny name for an un-funny condition.
Pepper: poor clematis--it certainly is dead, isn't it? That happened to my oranges and lemons gaillardia--it just dried up for no apparent reason.
Yes, Celia, what kind of coneflowers are those?
BP: I think there is a coneflower called "Kim's Kneehigh". Do you really like Adirondike chairs? Personally, I have found them to be uncomfortable.

# Today: Sunshine and clouds mixed. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Heat index near 105F. High 96F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy. Low 77F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

A photo from last winter which was a time when I was longing for warmer weather--now I am longing for cooler weather. We humans are never satisfied, are we? LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7985695

Mau, no...we humans are never satisfied. "If only..." should be banned from our vocabulary. My gaura is in pretty good shade. It's to the right of Buddha in the Memorial Garden. Should I leave it alone?

Kelli..."Tasmanian punies?"

BP, those are coneflowers, Echinacea, a NOID from another DGer who did not ID themselves, either. Thank you, whomever you are! :-)

We have rain forecast along with our 100 temps today. Sunny with a chance of Chupacabra.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7985812

85 hot and really humid. I guess it's working up to a T-Storm tonight. May have heavy rains if it stalls.

Sunfarm, they can be cute!

Marsue, I almost felt the cold air from your photo. Oh wait, the air conditioner kicked in, LOL! Now, that snow does look pretty nice! Yes, Kim's Knee high is what I was thinking. If it is, I sure like the size! I've loved the andirondacks since I was a kid and sat in my Great Aunt's chairs. When I sit, I actually feel the ''tired'' drain out of me and into the ground. It's the strangest thing, but DH feels it too.

Celia, ROTFL&L&L!! Are you watching X-Files?!

~ ~ ~ at Sugarweed!!

I was weeding around the nasty thorned rambler rose yesterday afternoon, and this fell beside me. Poor guy has a badly ripped wing. I carefully moved him to the clove current. He wasn't interested in flying away and didn't look freshly hatched. I guess he was waiting for nightfall. He was gone this morning.

Polyphemus moth, and I think male. Hard to tell since a moth has feathery antenna anyway.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7985890

I think the X-Files are watching ME!!! LOL

They're so pretty. I haven't seen any bigs ones around here lately.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7986479

BP: pretty moth--I hope it flew away and some toad didn't eat it.
Celia: LOL at the photo! By the way, you might want to move your guara. Mine gets morning shade but gets all the hot afternoon sun and is thriving as long as I keep it watered well.

I had lunch with my friend today and had a good two hour visit with her. We ate at Ruby Tuesday's and I had a Carolina Chicken Salad---brought enough home for lunch tomorrow! Yummy!

Nothing new on the weather front: Still hot and humid.

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7986643

Details for Wednesday, July 21 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms early, then mainly cloudy after midnight. A few storms may be severe early. Low 71F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7986877

Hot and humid again. Chance of storms again tonight, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then a few days next week too. LOL.

My Don Juan opened fully today so I stuck my nose in the bloom. Today it has fragrance!! Whoo hoo!!! LOL. It smells great and looks great. I'll probably put it where my horrible looking clematis is. I'll just put it off to the side of it in case it comes back from the roots next year.

Here is a close up of the leaves of my clematis. These are the few remaining "green leaves."

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7986988

Thanks, Mau, I'll do that.

Eeeek!!! Pepper, your clematis looks it has a fungus. One of mine got something last year. Cut it back to the ground, throw away the cuttings, clean up all the fallen leaves and clean your cutting tools. Make sure you wash your hands before touching any other plants, tools, etc. Good luck with it!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010 8:46 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7986996

Will try to do that this week sometime. Supposed to be super hot still and more rain coming in. Hopefully I can attack it tomorrow. There's not much green left on it so I will see what the stems feel like.

Here's my Don Juan fully open today. Smelled great too!! I'm estatic with it!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7987139

Mau that Guara is spectacular!

Pep we're having Clematis problems too, but not that bad.
It's been SO wet and hot that many woody plants are suffering.

Our cherry tomatoes are exploding on the vine.
Filling up so fast w/ water they are bursting.
So far the 'full sized' tomatoes are OK.

We'll it looks like the unemployment bill has passed the Senate.
So I'll be getting a check again... there's nothing out there... not even leads anymore.
Any job opening here has 15 people waiting in line for it.
Our jobless rate in this county went from 9.4 to 9.9 in June...
some Ohio counties are in the 14-16 range.

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 21, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7987279

Landed a cabinet job for Sept - Oct. today. It is all the cabinets for a new house. Located in the lake country of northern MN.

Market in our little close by town went great today. More customers each week. 4 more vendors than last week.
I hope it keeps up.

Rain predicted for tonight.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7987373

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Happy thoughts that it keeps up.

We went to a car show this evening. Any guesses what this is?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7987556

75 and cool this morning. We'll have a high of 90 Unless it pops up, I don't see us getting any rain. It's all north of us.

Marsue, chicken salad sounds good! So dainty and delicate!

Dyson, nothing in the guage yet?

Pepper, your Clematis might make a comeback. It looks like anthracnose, but that is a wild guess. Don Juan will be a bright spot of color!

Ric, I'm so glad the bill will help you out! No jobs are depressing. What are people supposed to do?

Bernie, Wow! I hope you never get tired of making cabinets! Market is going well!!

Celia, we haven't been to a car show all summer. WOW!

Monkshood, Sparks Variety. Yeah it's that purple!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7987673

Well, I certainly haven't had the problem of too much rain in my area although portions of Arkansas have had quite a bit of rain lately.
So sorry about your clematis, Pepper. I would say Celia is correct. I hope it comes back for you next spring. However, I would think twice before putting Don Juan where the clematis is planted. If it was too wet for the clem. then it could very well be too wet for DJ and you will quite likely see black spot develop on it. We had two DJ's planted in an area that held the rain and we had to move them because of black spot.

Ric: sorry about the job situation up there. "They" just came out this week with stats that showed our unemployment rate here in Arkansas had dropped from 9.5 to 7.5 in the last year, which is good news for our state!

Bernie: Hooray for the cabinet job! Glad the farmer's market is going well, too.

BP: that chicken salad had croutons on it that were made out of some kind of black bread. They were delicious and I could have eaten a bowl of the croutons all by themselves! LOL Although I eat whole wheat bread all the time, I typically don't like the darker breads like rye, etc., but this was soooooo good. I don't know what kind of bread it was. The monkshood is really pretty--love that color!

# Today: Lots of sunshine. Hot. Heat index near 110F. WHEW AGAIN!!! High near 100F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7987867

Won't get into the political but unemployment rates can be rigged in many ways and for many reasons by how they are collected.
Plus the smaller the State population the easier it is to change the %.
Our county alone has almost 1/3 the total population of AR.
More people than AK.
AR has been one of the least hit States which is good. Hope that trend remains!

People on unemployment is not a gauge. Many people have exhausted their benefits so are no longer carried there.

Anyway it's another hot humid day on tap.
Hoping to get the Garage finished today and finally start finding homes for all the tools in the Workshop.
I've been adding storage containers in there on every square inch! LOL!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7988906

Just a quick note : I have an article published today...the one I've been working on on the past week.
Here's the link for who wants to read it :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2934/

Hot and rain today, no watering, yiipee!
Hi Aurora, glad to see you are awake...Nicholas is sleeping!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7989154

I cut my clematis back today. It was all dried up like it normally would be in the winter time except there were a few green spots left. It was just as well that it had to be cut back because the jap beetles have invaded my yard so I had to get my Sevin spray out and spray all my clematis and roses. Roses hadn't been hit yet but all but 2, not counting the one I cut, clematis had been. One is growing up into a tree branch so I couldn't get it all but I hope I got enough to keep the damage down.

Unemployment is really bad here. At my job we have several people coming in every day to apply for a job there and we're not even hiring. I don't know of anyone around here that is hiring actually. Those of us who have jobs hold on for dear life and don't complain too much. lol

Ok, now the weather. LOL. Hot, humid and breezy. Not as hot as it has been even though the weather liars say it's the hottest day we've had. I can breathe no problem when out there.

Ok, see the big green leaves on this rose that are sticking up? Is that new growth on the rose or is it something that needs to be cut off? It has thorns on it but isn't that reddish color like most new growth. My other knockouts have the same leaves coming up too. Plus they have the regular red leaves of new growth.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7989709

I hope the clematis does okay for you. You may even get new growth this year.

Those leaves don't belong to the rose. It's looks like a weed.

92 today.

Gotta love a '63 Corvette, even if it's pink!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7989719

Sorry but Mary Kay should be shot! LOL!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7989726

I agree. The lady who owns it is lucky she was nice. It was in beautiful condition.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7990183

80 with a high of 92 again. Yesterday we had a good breeze and I sat outside and watched the butterflies. Today the Grandkids are coming and we'll have them till Sunday.

Marsue, the croutons do sound delicious! They almost had to be rye, but I would think you would taste it. Don't go outside today.

Ric, anyone without a job or benefits have my full sympathy. Now you are at the best part of building anything, putting things in their places!

Adina, such a sweet picture!

Pepper, no rose beetles for me either, yet. Yeah, jobs are gold right now. That looks like pigweed to me. Pull it.

Celia, no pink for me either. Who ever thought it would work?

Another bouquet, for Marsue!

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7990290

Low of 73 overnight, terribly humid, and climbing to the upper 90s. Heat advisory this afternoon and tomorrow. Ugh! I'm staying in.
Pepper, a friend complained yesterday of something eating her clematis; it has to be the blister beetles that found a flower in my garden too tasty to resist last week. I doubt that is the problem with yours, as your foliage appears wilted instead of chewed up.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #7990317

Details for Friday, July 23
A mix of clouds and sun. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Heat index near 105F. High 97F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Some clouds. Low 74F. Winds light and variable.

Bright & Clear, no sign of moisture on the RADAR. Since I am not working I may as well go to the hardware store for that rain gauge.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7990339

Sunfarm, do stay in!

Dyson, good idea. Joey needs a guage too and I told her to just run over and check yours :o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7990360

Ric: isn't it nice to get everything organized? --a place for everything and everything in its place but the question is: How long will it stay that way? LOL
Adina: what a precious photo of Nicholas! I'll check out the article when I finish here.
Pepper: good advice from Celia on the "rose". :o))
Celia: I think I could consent to riding in that car, even if it is pink!! LOL
Sunfarm: your weather sounds like mine!
BP: thanks for the bouquet! It is lovely! :o))
Dyson: did you get the rain gauge?

The sprinkler is going as I type. I kept it going almost all day yesterday but I turned it down low so as not to get outside the flower beds and I move it around frequently. As I said, it took me almost all day yesterday to cover the front flower beds and part of the back. Now I am watering the rose bed in the back yard.
It seems that several of us are sharing the same weather! Relief is in sight, though, at least for those of us in Arkansas--via Tropical Storm Bonnie. By Monday and Tuesday we will have a 50% chance of rain. It's just too bad it has taken a Tropical Storm for us to get any relief. This will not be good for the folks along the gulf coast.
# Today: Sunny. Hot. Heat index near 105F. High 98F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low near 75F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7990416

Hi everyone!!

Just can't keep up, but nice pink on the vet! I don't like pink either but it does work!

I guess the tropical storm is barely even that, the winds are only at 40mph and it's supposed to either stay the same or weaken a little, so it may just be a regular storm by the time we get it. I hope we get some rain out of it and it doesn't fizzle completely, the weather liars can't tell this far out anyway.

It's hot, I was watering my next door neighbors ferns in her front flowerbed about 6:30pm yesterday and saw something move, thought it was a lizard so didn't pay much attention until it moved again, a baby snake, dirt brown with very obvious markings. I dropped the hose and ran back to my house to get Dave for a positive ID and to kill it. It was a baby Copperhead, Dave thinks it was about 1 month old, it's tail had a little bit of blue on the tip. YIKES Dave then said that I needed to text her and tell her what we found, and there will be no more watering at or after dusk and no walking back and forth between houses in the grass after it gets too dark to see. So I text her and told her all about it. Hopefully there won't be anymore but when there's one baby, there's usually more somewhere.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7990417

It's already 82 (Heat Index 88) at 9:30AM.
Heading for 97 w/ a H.I. of 105 or more!
The plants are loving this Deep South stuff...US... not so much! LOL!

I love the construction and the using.
Organizing... least favorite part... ;-)

Thumbnail by henryr10

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7990491

Here's the weather right now geee!

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 94. Heat index values as high as 102. South wind between 14 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph

As yesterday is worst one so I stay inside for almost a week and I m not feel well that it keep coming back again...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7990738

New temp thingy says just over 90

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7990741

Rain gauge is up

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7991250

Still no moisture in the gauge - figures
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7991308

Maybe the batteries are bad?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7991310

92 (Heat Index 106)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7991411

if rain falls we will have some - if not it will remain dry - i am no expert but i am fairly certain of this.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7991543

LOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7991795

LOL, Dyson!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7991877

LOL Dyson!!

Thanks all for the info on the rose. I will head out there as soon as I finish this post and clip it at the very least. I can't pull it without pulling the whole rose out. I tried that the other day. lol

I cut my clematis back yesterday then soaked my pruners in bleach. Next time it will be 2 maybe 3 dips in bleach then done. They now have rust on the tips and I had to put veggie oil on them to get them to move. I will have to keep oiling them. They are my brand new Felcos so I gotta baby them. lol.

Weather: Hot, humid, sunny, and breezy. Chances of rain starting tomorrow then a couple days off then rain from whatever is left of Bonnie.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7992086

ROTFLOL I keep giggling over you all!!!

Everything seems to love the coneflowers these days. Don't look if you don't like the spiders.

"Come on! I can take ya!"

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7992148

We had a 1/4" of rain the other afternoon.
I went over and added 2" of water to Jon's gauge...
He got a kick out of it...;-)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7992178

Ric - that is just wrong.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7992655

74, We had thunder at 1:30 am. It didn't rain till 3:30 am and is just finishing, for now, at 5:30 am. It poured! Yesterday afternoon it also poured and we got 8/10'' in an hour. We'll have a high of 84 and hopefully this is the cool front that was supposed to move in.

Marsue, I quote that all the time!! I like to be able to find things.

Wow Chrissy! Dangerous snake!

Ric, nice place to sit!

Rusty, it's too bad you can't shake what's making you feel bad. Staying in is a good idea.

Dyson, love the temp thingy! I haven't seen one like it before. You can read the guage from the house, fill 'er up!

Ric and Dyson, LOL!

Pepper, nice butterfly picture. I can't find a butterfly that will sit still for more than a moment!

Celia, giggling over the spider! I have a spider folder, and bee, bugs, and reptiles folders :o)

Ric, ROTFL!! DH did that to our neighbor once. It sure is funny!

I still hear thunder at 5:50 am. Can't wait to see what we got in the guage. I'll take a picture for you Dyson so you will know how your's is supposed to work.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7992692

Gauge is still dry : (

Details for Saturday, July 24
Mostly sunny. Near record high temperatures. Heat index near 105F. High 99F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Clear to partly cloudy. Low around 75F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 8:34 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7993051

ROFLOL at Dyson and Ric!!
Celia: wow, that camera of yours surely does get some good close-ups! I had a spider like that on one of my flowers last year but my pic didn't come out nearly as good as yours!
Pepper: nice BF pic.
BP: it looks like I am going to have to come up there and kick some of those rain clouds down here!

# Today: Sunshine and clouds mixed. Hot. Heat index near 110F. High 99F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low around 75F. Winds light and variable.

Tropical Storm Bonnie has been downgraded to Tropical Depression Bonnie. It looks as if we won't be getting much rain, if any, after all. :o((

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7993294

Mau, I love my camera. I have a huge wish list of accessories for it. LOL

Today is Pioneer Day in Utah. Also, called the Days of '47.

Pioneer Days celebrates the arrival of Brigham Young and his fellow Mormons coming over the mountains into Utah in 1847 and creating their settlement. It's a day for fireworks, picnics, camping, parades, flying the flag...wait...that's just like another day this month!!! We also have reenactments of the trek with the handcarts, wagons. etc...wearing the same clothing they wore. It's a week-long trek, if I remember correctly.

Hot today. 94 and sunny.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7993352

If anyone needs it - I have a zip file - Motorola phone tools - for downloading your photos from your phone to your computer.

95 Sunny, Clear, Hot.

Details for Saturday, July 24
Plenty of sunshine. Near record high temperatures. High 96F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Generally clear. Low near 75F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7993427

Here's my spider-- trying to make me think he is an insect with only six legs.
92 and still climbing. I don't want to know what the heat index is.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7993449

So much for the mountains being cooler... phaattt!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7993495

Dyson, maybe that thunderstorm will stray your way :o)

Marsue, you'll have to kick pretty hard :o)

Celia, you're all set for Christmas, LOL! I'm glad to be wearing shorts, but I see how the long clothes are better for chores!

Sunfarm, smiling over your ''insect.'' He's pretty sneaky!

Hi Darius! We're all in the same boat this year.

This isn't counting the 8/10'' we got yesterday morning.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 4:57 AM

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7993498

It's meat!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7993889

Celia: I promise not to repeat what I said over at "the other place" about the re-enactment clothing. :o]

LOL at Darius!

Hooray for canned deer meat--I suppose! (I've never had any--I try not to eat deer meat--I was scarred for life after seeing "Bambi". LOL)

I'm not even going to go look at the thermometer. I don't want to know how hot it is on my back porch!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7994143

warm

Thumbnail by Dyson

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7994163

Warm is to mild of a word for how hot it got here. It got so hot and humid that my glasses fogged up when I went outside. No breeze either. I also ended up with a headache cause I forgot my sunglasses this morning when we went to town. My nephew didn't help matters by being a screaming grouch today. LOL. Had storms roll in here around 5pm. I think another round may be on the way but don't know for sure.

Coneflower bed is beat down from all the rain we've had.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7994208

92 (Heat Index 106) was the high.
We're still at 83 (Heat Index 90) at 9:15!

We 'might' see some rain tomorrow.
It appears from the radar, see Dyson's post, a band is moving down from the north and west.
Doubt it will hold together long enough to reach us.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7994221

My pic didn't go thru. Hmmm...

Ok, trying again.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7994362

More rain here last night. 1".
Sunny most of today for market. Great market.

Local town had parade at 5PM today. It goes right by DD house so sat in her front yard & watched it. 2 Hrs. Nice parade.

Very tired, think I will head for a bed soon.

Bernie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7994385

Ric from the looks of the national radar you will get some moisture.

Thumbnail by Dyson

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7994554

Looked good Dyson until it stalled out about 50 miles north of us... Boo!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7994566

Ric do not give up - it is headed more east than south but -

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7994650

The best chance has now shifted to 9AM...
Never give up! LOL!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7994684

when you are done with it - send it down here - please

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7994922

68 with a high of 84. The air is so cool, even tho it's wet.
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 64
Pressure: 30.05 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
UV Index: 0 - Low
Sunrise Information: Daylight Remaining: 14 hrs 33 min

Marsue, canned with a bouillion cube it tastes like beef, so go ahead and have cow instead.

Dyson, the rain isn't coming is it?

Pepper, the nice thing about finally needing to wear glasses is that you get the tinted ones and never forget your shades again! Kids and hot weather do not mix! Your coneflowers are looking good!

Bernie, what a great way to spend an an evening and family!

We don't need anymore rain. I hope everyone else does get some.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7994948

Raining at the west side of the I-275 Loop and appears to be building in strength.
We're on the southeast side... we'll see...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7994957

Same forecast--umpteenth verse :o(( only difference is the small chance of rain

# Today: Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. Heat index near 105F. High 96F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Variable clouds with thunderstorms, especially early. Humid. Low around 75F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7995003

Details for Sunday, July 25
A few isolated thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Heat index near 105F. High 99F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Evening: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. A few storms may be severe. Low 74F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

30% ? give me a break

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7995016

Sunny this morning. 62
Took lots of pictures of parade. This one was interesting. Local welding shop made up this Redneck hot tub.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7995024

An old timer farmer rebuilt this Ford pickup. He joins our coffee group almost everyday.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7995028

He was following along on this tractor. He built the grader blade set-up.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7995037

Here's one for you 'vette lovers. Real nice car!

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7995041

Nice pics Bernie ! Thank you.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7995043

This horse could dance rock & roll.
It is the horse with the girl rider. I thought I had a better picture.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7995054

Then there is always the clown car. Friends who are 50 years old said it has been in parades as long as they can remember.
It goes mostly on the rear wheels, belches smoke, backfires, & even shoots a stream of water no & then.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7995058

Another of it.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7995093

Well the rain slid about 10 miles north of us... lol!
The almost the entire State had a band run through but us...
We're OK groundwise, it's the containers that will need tending to...
Most have saucers under them so basically we just need to fill them up.

Lower temps today. Not cool but not in the 90's either.

Sun's back out.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7995105

Bernie those shots are Wonderful!
Not to be condescending, it's GREAT to see small town parades.
Reminds me of my childhood hometown.

Robyn would 'severely maim' for that Vette!
There's a turquoise/white one we see every so often.
The owner is taking his life in his hands when driving by us!... LOL!

Dyson I hope you get the rain NOT the severe weather!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7995311

Art has taken on a new meaning for me since I have been here. The new masters frequent this site. And enrich the world, often without knowing it.

Sincerely

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7995754

Weather is perfect right now. 81, mostly cloudy and just cool. I need to go out and do some work but most of my weeding is under control except in the veggie garden. The garden is bout done for the season and when it is I will probably lay newspaper down and a truckload of mulch. Or maybe skip the newspaper and just do mulch. lol

Wild Senna blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7995922

Ah, yes, the parade is alive and well in small-town America. We have our Homecoming Parade every year in the fall. It includes all the school bands (jr and sr), homecoming princesses and queens, beauty queens, local dance and gymnastics studios, and what have you and don't forget the horseback riders who always bring up the rear (for obvious reasons).
I enjoyed the photos, Bernie. Was there any particular reason for the parade--such as celebrating mid-summer, etc.?

Ric: my DG friend, Duckmother, would really like the garden art in your first photo!

Still hot, still no rain but clouds are moving in so hopefully. . .
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7996042

Still no rain in the thing-a-ma-bobber : (
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7996095

77F ... Beautiful afternoon here with blue skies and clouds. Quite a treat after the 90's and high humidity we've had the past week. We received over 2.5" of rain the past few days and the rain barrels are full. Won't have to water for a while!

Bernie...I enjoyed the photos. Big parade here next Saturday. There sure has been a lot of rough weather in Minn. this spring and summer. You've been fortunate that your area hasn't been hit.

Ric...Your yard looks like it's in Costa Rica!

Photo: recent farm country sunset...

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7996157

Every town has a celebration.
Usually Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
Parade sometime Saturday.
Towns go to parade in other towns to promote theirs. Fire trucks rotate around, too. About 15 different towns represented yesterday. All volunteer outfits.
Of course about 10 guys running for sheriff were in the parade, too.

Ain't this cool!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7996751

Beautiful Wedding Carriage!

We just stepped outside to watch the local Fireman's Festival Fireworks.
Each year the festival raises about $75,000 for new equipment.
Awesome party!

All the yard art shown is at Joan's garden.
The secret is to allow the artists to sell at your sale... then you get free art! lol!
But first you have to have a big clientele attending.

Tropical gardens can be done several ways.
Tropicman (Don) has almost entirely covered his yard in Tropicals.
So each year you set up and break down.

We fill in the yard tight and heavy w/ big perennials.
Many like Bamboo, Petasites and the Jumbo Hosta trick your eye into seeing a jungle like setting.
Then add big or exotic looking EE's, Canna and Bananas... the affect is complete.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
3:44 AM

Post #7997305

68 with a high of 84. Right now I have my flannel shirt thrown over my shoulders. The North breeze is pretty cool :o)
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 65
Pressure: 30.12 in
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 50 min

Bernie, who doesn't love a small home town parade! A guy down my gravel road has an Oliver tractor. He rides in parades and the tractorcade. Those were great pictures! We haven't had a parade in Nichols since the bi-centennial celebration. That's sad :o(

Ric, love the sculptures!

Pepper, nice to see wildflowers and shrub in yards. I'll bet it's a spot of color when you round the corner.

Dyson, how sad to get a new toy and it doesn't work.

Hi Early! Love the colors in your sunset! It's always nice to see a silo, for some reason. Love the lightning rods!

Bernie, very cool! Every little girl and a few bigger girls wish they were riding in the carriage!

Ric, I'd say you have your yard fairly well down for the tropics!

Yesterday was gorgeous! It was hot in the sun and I poured a little sweat mowing, but I can enjoy it today! I got up early so I wouldn't miss any of it. I contemplated getting up at 3:00 am just because I woke up and it was so quiet.

I was ''screaming fit'' towards the end of mowing. We have biting flies. More than I've ever seen! They were hitting me in the legs and arms every 5 seconds. I wish I had had a tail! I even came in and had a washrag bath. It didn't work They got me in the next year too, but not quite as bad. I Googled them and found they come from the same environment as mosquitos. We have deerfly, stable fly and horsefly. Not much you can do about it.

I found this while enlarging a flower bed. It's in the same yard I found two halves of a horse, years apart. I didn't find the rest of the toy yet and most likely won't. I think he's a fireman.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
3:44 AM

Post #7997306

The other side.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7997475

It is great to know that hometown parades still bring enjoyment after so many things in our lives have changed or been lost.
The line of thundershowers that stretched across Kentucky (at least from Bardstown east as far as the radar showed into West Virginia) brought us 0.81" of rain in a bit under two hours. The best part was that the temperature dropped 15 degrees and stayed in the 70s overnight.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7997725

It's wonderful outside today.
73 light breeze... AHHHHHHHHHHHH..

We started paving the driveway

Thumbnail by henryr10

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 26, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7997777

It's interesting reading through this thread and seeing how weather is really relative. It's mid summer over there but here it's mid winter now. The minimum temperature this morning was 25.9C (78.6F). The maximum today was 36.5C (97.7F). UV index was up to 9. Clear sunny skies and windy.

A photo of dawn at my place the other morning.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7998068

It's gorgeous here at 81! We ran down to Conesville to see if the stand we get melons at are open. Her husband died last fall and I wasn't sure she would. She was and we got a muskmelon and watermelon. Dad was here, so we took him with us and bought him a muskmelon. (His Dad grew and sold them when Dad was a kid. Back when you strapped all of them to the car to get to the next town.)

Sunfarm, love blue butterflies!

Ric, driveway with the round pavers or am I missing the big picture? :o)

Welcome Tropic Breeze! It is all relative :o) Mid winter, interesting! Beautiful sky and love the fronds!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7998072

Welcome, Tropicbreeze!

I had to google earth Noonamah, Australia. 97 in Winter? What's it like in Summer?

We have 97 today, as well.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7998576

Details for Monday, July 26 (Evening)
Evening: Mainly cloudy. Humid. Low 71F. Winds light and variable.

Gauge Dry.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7998828

Dyson, take down the gauge and it might rain. Put it back up and it will quit. LOL

Hotter than it was supposed to be today but not too bad. High 80s for a high with heat index in the low 90s. This afternoon scattered storms rolled thru the area though we only got rain at the house. Some storms had 50mph winds.

Liatris and Penstemon blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7998929

I read on Facebook a little bit ago that Kiska's (Jackie) husband, Frank, had a heart attack last night. He is in ICU at the hospital in Palmer but Jackie said he was doing better. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers, please.

EB: nice sunset with the silos in silhouette!
Bernie: love the Cinderella carriage!
BP: yum--melons!
Celia: love the 'Vette!
BP: neat toy!
Sunfarm: pretty butterfly
Ric: paving the driveway with round pavers?
Pepper: lol at the "reverse psychology" on Dyson's rain gauge.

FINALLY--WE GOT RAIN!! Can you believe it? I think it has been almost a month since I have had any rain at my house although other parts of the state have had several rainshowers in the last few weeks.
It rained for about an hour but it is still overcast and I can hear the occasional clap of thunder in the distance. We might possible get some more rain tonight and "they" say that we have a good chance of getting more rain tomorrow afternoon.

Rain clouds in the distance before it actually started raining. The sun was still shining at my house when I took this photo.

Thumbnail by marsue

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7998984

FINALLY--WE GOT RAIN!! here, too! very pour and my dogs got all wet for that, lol...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7999204

Excellent Rusty!

Bone dry here...

Yes we inherited a bunch of 24" round pavers.
We'll be doing a pattern as we slowly bring them down from Springboro.
To set the first four we spray painted around the tires...lol!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2010
3:18 AM

Post #7999409

70 with a high of 90
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 67
Pressure: 30.04 in
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 0 min

Celia, someone is interested in the Corvette :o)

Dyson, just add water.

Pepper, LOL, good idea! Glad you missed the wind. Nice combo and two of my favorite flowers :o)

Marsue, thanks for the news on Frank. That's too bad. I certainly will say a prayer. I'm glad you finally got rain!! Nice picture of the clouds!

Rusty, good rain for you too!

Ric, nice pavers to inherit! Laughing over setting the stones! Perfect!

I was out yesterday working on enlarging the latest flower bed and helping weed in the garden. Didn't find any more treasures. We pulled carrots and I got a large baggie-ful of them. It was warmer here too, but still nice. I guess the cool weather wasn't to last all week.

It's a colorful bug

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7999505

BP. that is a colorful bug! Does it have wings folded?
Only 85 yesterday here, with fog this morning. Good chance of showers today.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7999620

# Today: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Humid. High 91F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms early, then partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low 74F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Friday is demanding to go outside RIGHT NOW--I'll BBL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7999622

Dyson... I agree w/billyporter: you need to 'prime' the gauge!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 27, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7999648

Thanks everyone. If you look at Google Earth you can see my place at 12 degrees 38 mins 52 secs south, 131 degrees 6 mins 43 secs east. The Google image is from 2 June 2005, in the dry season.

You probably realise that position is fairly close to the equator, hence year round warm temperatures. Our hottest period is spring. That's when the sun comes directly overhead. Summer time the sun goes to our south. Also that's our monsoon season, so a lot of cloud and rain. Although, between the rain it's still pretty hot and humid.

Hope you all get your rain, here we're still a few months away from it. Rain water is so much better than tap water. I've always belived it's the oxygen absorbed into the rain that plants respond well to.

Today went from a low of 23.8C (74.8F) to a maximum of 35.6C (96.1F) . Quite sunny through the day but heavy cloud in the evening. That has made the evening quite warm.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 27, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7999656

How to get it to rain?
Hang out the laundry.
Wash the car.
Leave the car windows down.
Go out without an umbrella or rain coat.

Any of those can bring on a sudden downpour.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7999709

LOL, Tropic--we crossed.

Back inside now. I spent about 30 minutes pulling weeds. The ground is soft after our rain last night--we had a good rain last night--about 2 hours worth of a good soaking rain. It is still overcast which makes it cooler. It was 70 on my back porch at 6 a.m. which was the coolest low temp. we have had in some time! Currently 75F.

Neat looking bug, BP. Do you have an ID on it?

Another pretty butterfly, Sunfarm.

As of a few minutes ago, Jackie had not posted anything further on FB about Frank but it is still early in her part of the world. Perhaps we will hear something from her in a little bit.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 7:56 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7999745

TB, that's how we get it to rain., too! LOL This is what worked for us yesterday...we got everything watered.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7999806

Wow! Look what I have missed, spiders, Pioneer Days (Celia I heard they had a fireworks display malfunction in Salt Lake, were the fireworks for this festival?) parades, butterflies, and hot winters.

LOL Tropic that's about right!

We got RAIN, a flash flood even! It was wonderful, everything was dripping when I left for work this morning! Woo HOOOOO!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7999812

Lots of prayers going out to Jackie and Frank. I hate to hear that.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7999833

Yes, they were for the festival. A large rocket blew prematurely and set off 3 others into the crowd. Ten people were hurt but not badly. This is the 3rd in one month. Six people were hurt but not badly in the last one at the 4th of July celebration.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8000621

Quoting:if rain falls we will have some - if not it will remain dry

My dad says, "If this rain keeps up, it won't come down."

The past couple days have been un-Californian. It has been cloudy in the mornings and staying below 70F. I guess I should say un southern Californian. That would be normal in San Francisco.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 27, 2010
75 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 4 mph from the SSE

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #8000884

BP, I have an identification of your colorful bug-- Ailanthus Webworm Moth (Atteva punctella). I just happened to spot a picture in my field guide while looking for something else that I couldn't find. I'll post a picture of that and maybe somebody can help me.

Got about 0.18" rain this morning and a splash more about suppertime, though a nearby town had about 6" and flooded streets.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8000940

Hey ric...While you're in Springboro, stop in for a visit!

early_bloomer
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8001002

Hot and still humid but not too bad. It'll get worse as the week goes on. More rain on the way too.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8001295

Love to e_b!
Unfortunately it's Springboro, OH... LOL!
Not as exotic as Springboro, PA but closer.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #8001582

Pretty moth, Sumfarm. You might try posting it over on the big ID forum.
Nice butterfly, Pepper.

Jackie posted on FB that Frank will be getting a stent today. There was evidently a 70% blockage in one of his arteries but they will be taking care of it with a stent. So much better than having a by-pass!

We are going to get hotter as the week goes on with temps up to 100F by Saturday! :o(( Rain chances are getting slimmer, too.

# Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 74F. Winds light and variable.
# Tomorrow: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. Humid. Heat index near 105F. High 94F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #8001620

77 with a high of 86. It's cloudy now and we may get rain later. I worked on the butterfly bed and got it as large as it's going to be. It's ready to move the thorn grabbing rose into this fall.

Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 74
Pressure: 29.97 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
UV Index:0 - Low Sunrise
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 18 min

Sunfarm, I think he does. Bugs, I don't know very well, so I don't even know what he is. I love the sun pattern on the tiger.

Darius ''prime'' was the word I needed. Thanks!

Tropic, we have had our share of rain in Iowa. I haven't had to water all spring and it's not usually like this. July and August used to be the dormant crunchy grass and the last two years we have been green under the snow till spring. You forgot about washing the windows and screens. The more you windows you wash the heavier it rains and the more screens you clean, the wind blows too :o)

Marsue, finally, some relief for you! No ID on the bug. It sounds good for Frank so far. She'll most likely post the test results today.

Woo Hooo for Chrissy!!

Celia, that doesn't sound good for those who pack the fireworks in the first place. That was my cousin's job in California.

Kelli, your Dad is so funny!!

Sunfarm, Thanks! I'll Google him to see if he's a friendly bug! Well, there he is! We do have a Tree Of Heaven in town if they haven't cut it down yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_webworm What a pretty little moth.

Pepper, I'm seeing a lot of the Pearl Cresents. I love their orange coloration!

Marsue, thanks for Franks update!

It's 6:30 am and I need to walk.

Blanche Sandman Honeysuckle

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #8001623

Sunny.
Lower dew point.
Rain last evening. Don't count how much anymore. Just check the field to see if tractor will get stuck in the mud.
Crops are growing wildly.
So are the weeds. They can go from 2 inches to 2 feet in a matter of days!
Very hot yesterday. It slowed our market a bit. I had 3 boxes of tomatoes & sold out before any other vendor. Mine are twice the price of another vendor. Doesn't seem to matter. People know our quality is very high.
Might take it a bit easy today. Only a small market to do late in the afternoon. We have nearly enough left from yesterday to cover this market.
My son will be picking new Gladiolus though. They sell great here for some reason.

Bernie
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #8001701

Two thunderstorms here yesterday, though we got only 0.03" from the evening one that dumped about 6" on a nearby town and caused severe localized flooding.

BP, glad I could help with the moth ID. I will check out the white lacy one. It was tiny and very pretty, lace-like, once I took a close look. Also saw this gorgeous dragonfly yesterday

Thumbnail by sunfarm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #8001813

Bernie, that's great! We saw how nice your tomatoes were and the care that goes into them! I saw Glads in someone's yard today because my eye was drawn to the color. Glads are neat!

Sunfarm, it was very pretty and lacy! He is a beauty! I love the two wingers and wonder if they fly better :o)

I walked with the camera today. Didn't see much. "Interesting to me only" pictures. I did have to laugh over this one.

Main Street Nichols, where someone had a wild time in front of the tavern!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8002347

LOL, BP!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8002886

81 & 3/10 of an inch in the gauge from yesterdays showers.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8003130

Ric...I was just kidding...those pavers would be a bit pricey if you drove all the way over here for them. Yeah...It's very exotic here...(he says while rolling eyes)

early_bloomer
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8003139

No thunderstorms near us, though they were scattered across Kentucky this evening. Temp topped out at 87, with high humidity.
I did manage to identify the moth; aptly named "large lace-border" though with a wingspan of less than an inch I would not call it large.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8003166

Reserved our cabin at Prizer Point for KY RU in Sept. Went down in price from last year.

Local market was a little slow today. I hope that isn't going to be a trend!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8003174

Dyson, is that showers from your watering can or from the sky? You were getting a little desperate there for a bit. :~p LOL

Hot, humid, yadda, yadda. Nothing new. LOL. Only new thing is chasing a couple cows back into a neighbor's pasture on the way home from work. Honked the horn a few times and one went thru the fence but the other one kept running and ended up next door in their neighbor's field. Since it wasn't the road I called it good and called my mom and told her to call our neighbor since they work at the same place and let her know.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8003298

The last two days it has rained heavily where I work in Roanoke - yet we have gotten little in Rocky Mount.

Friday I till for some fall vegetable plantings.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #8003547

Sunny what a lovely Widow Skimmer!

BP that certainly is small town rural America.
Love the elevators right on the edge of the main drag!

We hit some rain on the way back from Urbana.
Mostly we could just see it in the distance.
Finally near home it opened up raining hard... and closed a 1/2 mile from our place...lol!

Picked up a new EE today.
Bargain price, rare find, especially for a rural GH.

That's Robyn w/ Sue's daughter.

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #8003851

65 with a chilly North breeze. I have my flannel shirt on and a hot cup of coffee to warm me up! We'll have a high of 85
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 60
Pressure: 30.11 in
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 7 min

Dyson, 3/10'' isn't bad.

Early, LOL over exotic.

Sunfarm, I love to know names of things. Glad you found it!

Bernie, market will pick back up!

Pepper, I'd say good on the cows too :o) I didn't get zinnias planted this year. They are so pretty!

Dyson, maybe you should take your guage over to Roanoke :o)

Ric, very small. It got even smaller uptown, when the old bank building fell in. The bins look close don't they? There is another block between them and uptown, but they do greet you coming in to town. Two lovely ladies and a nice EE!

I spent all day outside yesterday. Hot in the sun, nice in the shade! It thundered in the North, then the East but no rain for us!

It's going to be a lot cooler today with the wind out of the North. They said so!

Crop duster.

Thumbnail by billyporter

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8004106

I'm getting a Weather Forecasting Stone:

Forecasting Stone

Condition: Forecast

Stone is Wet: Rain
Stone is Dry: Not Raining
Shadow on Ground: Sunny
White on Top: Snowing
Cant see Stone: Foggy
Swinging Stone: Windy
Stone Jumping Around: Earthquake
Stone Gone: Tornado

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #8004438

ROFLOL!!!!! Darius!

Dyson, Hope that you get something to go into your guage!

Ric! Wow! Love the new EE! It must be rare...never seen one like it!

Hi! All! ((((waving))))

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #8004549

Well after 13 months of unemployment I was recalled.
Start back to work Monday!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #8004559

Yeeeeeeeeeeea!!!!!!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #8004983

HOT - & - Dry

Congratulations Ric! Still only getting 32 Hours a week here, but thankful I am still working.

Since I am off tomorrow I am going to till enough to direct seed some broccoli.

Care to all.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8004991

ric...that's great news! Post your phone number. We'll all give you an early morning wake-up call on Monday! That's an impressive EE!

Joey!!!!!!! How are you??????

I bought some old wooden window screens at a yard sale for .25 cents, covered them with iridescent shimmering fabric and hung them from my birch trees. They are in deep shade all day and come alive when the late day sun hits them.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #8004993

A closer view...

early_bloomer

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8005051

We've been having good (i.e. not overly hot) weather.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on July 29, 2010
79 F
Clear
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 53 F

Since we've got some craftsmen here, I'll post some pictures of stone and brickwork at some house that have burned down. I'm no judge of what is good or not, so I'm just guessing about the quality.

This house was built in 1903 and burned down in 2007 - average quality stonework I would say.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8005060

House builit in 1950s, burned down in 1982, fire again in 2007
Patio or indoor room, don't know - very good stonework

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 1:44 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8005064

Same house
Fireplace - good quality; top of chimey - average to above average; middle of chimney (not exposed when house was intact?) - sloppy

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8005068

Bathroom floor holding up, all things considered. (I love this floor.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8005116

The house built in 1950's looks more like Formstone or Perma-Stone and not real stone. It was quite easy to work and gave a neat appearance.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8005174

Great pics everyone! I hope I catch up with you soon...I've been busy writing another article and also at the office and with the garden.
It was very cold this week, but today has started to warm up again. No rain , so I'm watering everyday.
Here;s anew picture of Nicholas, with his new hat!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8005331

Not as humid today though temps still reached low 90s. Still hot but bearable.

Ric, is that ee Metallica? Mine didn't survive winter and I gave all my pups away last year. LOL. It looked similar to yours.

Heart of the Jungle elephant ear.

Thumbnail by pepper23

cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8005347

Hi everyone. It's hot and humid but that's nothing new here in the midwest this time of year. We are way ahead on rainfall this year. My garden likes it but I'm worried about the shallow roots that my plants have grown. Strong winds with a storm could easily injure them. Just wondering about the upcoming month of August and what we will have in store then for weather.
Cuckoo
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8005578

E_B I just might do that!
I have to be at work at 7AM... lol!

Pep I thought it was Metalica but it doesn't match up w/ the one I have.
I'll have to look into it.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #8006072

70 and cloudy with a high of 78 and 50% chance of T-storms.

Humidity: 84%
Pressure: 30.02 in
Sunrise Information: Daylight Remaining: 14 hrs 10 min

Darius, what? You don't have one yet? LOL!

Joey!! What a nice suprise to see you here!! ~ ~ ~ back! I love the red heart in the Hibiscus!

Ric, I was just thinking about you being out of work yesterday, as I was working in the yard. I'm so hapy for you!! 13 months is a long

time.

Dyson, I hope your job picks up too. At least you'll eat :o)

Early, smiling over the wake-up call. Unless I oversleep like today, he'll be up pretty early. Wow, what a neat idea for the frames. You are

so talented!! The split rail fence is just bonus. Really pretty up close!

Kelli, glad you get to have cool weather! Love the second picture! It would be neat to incorporate that into a newer house! Neat fireplace

in spite of the sloppy! Cool floor!! I'd love to se it after a good hard rain cleans off the dirt!

Darius, I didn't know that about stonework.

Adina, you can't help but break into a huge smile with him. His new hat is really cute and so is he!!

Pepper, love the name of your EE :o) It looks good standing alone.

Cuckoo, glad your back!! Same worries here on the shallow roots. I was watering fall asters and a few phlox last night. We did have a

windy storm that knocked everything over last week. I was also tying up yesterday since they aren't picking themselves up.

I need to get out and walk before it rains. It's a ways away, but that doesn't always mean no pop-ups.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 30, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8006258

Well, no rain over this way, not that I'd mind if it did. July is nearly at an end, tomorrow's the last day. So for us we're on the pathway out of winter, although August is still officially winter. Today we started off with a minimum of 19.9C (67.8F) and with a nice sunny day got up to a maximum of 36.2C (97.2F). Late afternoon it clouded up a lot but there's no thought of rain for another couple of months yet. Until then it's all automatic irrigation.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8006540

What are those, TB? They're beautiful!

74.5 F with 94 for our high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 61 F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.99 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Pollen: 5.40 out of 12
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #8006956

Here's a wonderful followup about the heart attack Kiska's (Jackie) husband Frank suffered earlier in the week.

http://www.adn.com/2010/07/29/1387532/palmer-dispatchers-help-save-mans.html

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8007332

Great news on Frank!! And love the article on them. They couldn't have written that up any better.

Hot and humid again. Mostly sunny with temps around 90 and it's muggy out.

Thumbnail by pepper23

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #8007578

Great Shot! Pepper! Love it!

Sally, yep, I'm here...not as much as I'd like to be, but ...too much stuff to do! :D I don't know how you do it! The Hybiscus is a Rose of Sharon. :) I wish (& I have tried) to grow a Hybiscus, but I don't have enough sun for them. :(

Ric, thanks for posting the link...you beat me to the punch! :D Glad that you get to join the rest of us on Monday morning! ;)

E_B! I'm here! How have you been!? Guess what I did? (I hope I don't ruin this), But I put in an application for a state hatchery managers job! I love the job that I'm dong now, but the hatchery job is my dream job. LOL! I probably won't even get it, but it 's worth a try, huh?

LOL! The weather! We had a gorgoeus day, 84 & low humidity! That's the best it's been in a couple of weeks. Those high 90's were about to get to me, cuz I hate staying in the house!

Here's my other flower...

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #8007968

Joey BEST OF LUCK!
Sounds like a great job!

Yep I've started gearing up for the end of my 457 day weekend.
Went for the drug screen this morning.

A lot has changed there since I left, but the basic operations remain.
One of my new duties will be crating the parts so I get to use the new cool power tools!
AND someone else's lumber!!!!!! LOL!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 31, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #8008102

Today was the last day of our coldest month, tomorrow is the start of the last month of winter. That always has a good feel about it. Winter is our dryest time and normally there no rain. This year has been different. Today there was isolated heavy rain, but missed my place unfortunately. That's the way it goes. This morning the minimum temperature was 22.0C (71.6F). This afternoons maximum was a 37.0C (98.6F). Even though this rain has been 2 months early, it'd be great if it keeps coming.

Kwanjin, those are one of our native wildflowers, Goodenia sp. (but I don't know which one) Here's some more. This one's common on my place.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #8008130

73 and the weather stick is pointing down like I've caught a big fish. We had 1 & 3/10'' rain yesterday. We'll have a high of 83 and NW winds. A beautiful day ahead!
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 70
Pressure: 29.82 in
Visibility: 5.0 mi
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 28 min

Tropic, lovely yellow blooms! What are they? Irrigators are set up all over around here. Most of them in the last few years. I don't think anyone had to run them this year.

Celia what an awesome hummer shot!! I didn't know they visited hollyhocks.

Ric, thank you for the follow-up. I have so many emotions right now. Frank looks so healthy, even laying in the hospitol bed. It's just an amazing story.

Pepper, love the little butterflies :o)

Joey, I'm able do it because I don't have a job :o) I KNEW it wasn't a Hibiscus!! LOL! Joey I so hope you get the job!! You have as a good a chance as anyone, (especially if enthusium counts :o) JW looks like he's raring to go! Gotta love the shirt :o)

Ric, sounds like a dream job, LOL! I'm glad you were called back.

Good Morning Tropic! You never know what the weather is going to do these days. That is a neat bloom too!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #8008715

Overcast & cool @ 71

Was sprinkling rain when I awoke but alas the gauge still only shows 3/10 of an inch.

Details for Saturday, July 31
Showers and thundershowers likely. High 79F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Evening: Variably cloudy with scattered thunderstorms. Low 66F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010 1:17 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #8009234

This is what you saw as you walked towards our stall from the parking lot this morning.
Sold all of the flowers except 4 bunches. My son was bunching them until midnight. 120 bunches.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8009245

Here's the family waiting for the first customers.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #8009255

Our stand from the front.

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #8009261

My gosh, Bernie, have you increased your table size? Looks like more than when we were over. Produce looks wonderful.

Maxine
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8009296

Bernie - impressive!

I has started raining - a nice steady rain without much wind. If the gauge does not agree with the local reports on todays amount I will reposition it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #8009460

Yes, quite a bit more than years back. We had a bunch of us getting ready yesterday. Still ran out of some things. 4 adults & the 2 grandkids almost couldn't keep up to the customers. GD, who is 7 spend over an hour just fill baskets with beans! Sold about 7, 5 gallon pails full.
Tomatoes sold for $1 to $2 each. Couldn't keep the table full.
New market manager this year & she is getting the customers there. Lots of new advertising of all kinds.
Our market is the place to be in Mankato on Saturday mornings. Used to be a good crowd from 9:30 to 10:30. Now it starts right at 8 & goes strong until noon.
Tiring, but lots of fun. Time goes by fast when you are busy!

Sunny, 80 at 6PM. Rain again Monday, maybe.

Received some Iris in the mail today from DG'er in Nebraska. They were for postage. Nice looking plants. Nice perk because of DG.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8009530

Checked the gauge awhile ago had gained .2 in. to .5 in total the checked the nearest reporting station from weather underground (Wertz, Va.) their total for the day at that point was .22 in - guess I will not have to adjust the gauge.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8009539

Hot and very humid today. Mostly sunny with a slight breeze.

Zinna, glad, fountain grass and swamp milkweed in the background.

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8009676

We had a small amount of rain this morning, though it ended at 9 and didn't interfere with any of the day's plans. The temperature was still pleasant, in the lower 80s, but will go back to the upper 80s and more humidity over the coming days. It was nice while it lasted.

Picked some elderberries to go in with blackberries for a dessert.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8010086

Bernie that looks amazingly good!
Top Notch!!

WEIRD weather day for us!
It was 85 and sunny here H.I. 90
We went up to Joyce's place, about 30 miles north.
It started raining the last ten miles, pouring the last 2.
Rained for about 20 minutes and the temp dropped to the mid 60's.
My sister, who lives 4 miles from Joyce, called and said it had just stopped raining there.
It barely rained at her house for about 5 minutes.
1/2 way home the temps were back in the mid 80's.
Never saw a drop here.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 31, 2010
11:06 PM

Post #8010208

Very hot here and no wind. I'm watering the garden every day and the lawn in the morning. We had birthday party yesterday and had a very good time, but it was a bit windy. We celebrated our friend Marta with a couple of friends, all Cici's colleagues from work.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
11:59 PM

Post #8010248

Still spitting rain here - to dark to see the gauge.

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 3:00 AM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8010349

70 and cool. It's really wet tho. We'll have a high of 88 I slept in till almost 5:00 am again! These cool nights make me hibernate I think :o)

Humidity: 92%
Pressure: 29.93 in
Visibility: 5.0 mi
Sunrise Information: Daylight Remaining: 14 hrs 19 min
Through 12 pm: Mostly sunny with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 80s. Winds light and variable.

Dyson, I'm a day late for the final guage tally. Hope there's more in it by now! Ahhh, it is raining! May it fill the guage!

Bernie, your glads are glorious! See why people go crazy for them? You have a lovely family and they sure put in their time. I hope the kids want to follow in your footsteps. Your display has just enough color and plenty of food to chose from. I don't know what your competitors look like, but your set-up looks pretty good!

Hi Maxine!

Pepper, I just ''found'' swamp milkweed a couple of weeks ago and it broke as I was pulling on the bloom. AND the whole thing pulled out. Well, what was I going to do. Toss it? I planted the root AND I stuck the bloom into the ground beside it. The root has put out leaves and believe it or not so is the bloom!! It must have been stressed fron riding in the jeep till we got home and sent out distress roots. So, now I will have two plants. I love it. It's in the ditches all over around here. Nice combo in your picture!

Sunfarm, there's no mistaking elderberries. They always remind me of my great aunt.

Ric, LOL over the weather. I remember standing in the yard at home when I was little. It was raining lightly and I walked right out of it as I headed for the swingset.

Adina, life picked right back up again didn't it :o) There';s nothing like a birthday celebration with friends!

Dyson, cool! I'm one who has to have all the clocks set at the right time, LOL! I carry my watch with me to set them for the time change.

We took a long jeep ride yesterday so I didn't get much more done than hanging two loads of clothes. It was perfect weather! We had the small "Flintstone" top on, but no doors. We ended up in Kalona, Amish country, and I carefully took barn pictures. They don't want their pictures taken.

But first, I finally caught the hummer! Can you find him?

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8010403

New thread for August is here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120032/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America