Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Cicadas

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sjdnbwi
New Berlin, WI

July 20, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7984451

Just noticed this evening a very loud chorus of cicadas. Looking at the brood maps, it didn't look like we were expected to have a large infestation (SE WI). But, I swear this is one of the largest emergences I've heard.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7986561

They've just started here too but not too bad, about normal. That's the point I know summer is winding down. I always have mixed feelings about that.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7989743

They're pretty quiet here. I've heard one or two, but that's about it.

I enjoy them when they first start their buzzsawing, but I quickly get tired of it. They always signal that the weather is hot, hot, hot...and I don't much care for the heat.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #8003415

Medinac, you are just a bit south of me (Des Plaines) and I agree they are normal this year. . . but the "normal" has always been too loud for me! My gosh, when I'm sitting under my maple on the patio and they're singing hot and heavy, it's enough to put a 1970's rock concert to shame! And I wonder when one of the seemingly thousands will fall on me. But, they never do, thank God. Forget reading out there. Along with the humidity and heat, I'm inside 'till fall.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8007620

Kayly - I bet all your cicadas drowned with all the rain you've been getting up there huh??!!! Yep, that's when you know we're in the dog days of summer, when the cicadas start singing. Sherri, I'm with you, it's just been too humid outside to do much. I like the early mornings and then that's it. I've been inside taking a break inside with a/c and getting caught up on reading!

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8010515

Yeah I can't sit on my deck in the evening either. We have a heat advisory for the next 4 days but I have to get my 45 daylily seedlings in the ground even if I just do 2 or 3 a day. YIKES!! help. BEV
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #8012104

Medinac, there are still plenty of cicadas to go around if their noise is any indication. They were really sawing away at dusk tonight.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8012955

There's a huge one that plastered itself to my kitchen window screen last night and stayed there for at least several hours. You wonder . . . what is going through his (or her) head? He must have something better to do than plaster himself to a screen and stay stock still for hours. (At least I wonder these things, but I'm a bit quirky!)
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8029438

Sherri - You're funny! Ah but we're all a bit quirky sometimes. I don't know about all of you but I remember being a kid and we had the 17 year one's come out. I remember so many of them flying through the air and into mine and my friend's hair. We looked like a crazy freaks flailing around trying to get them out! Yuck, that was awful...at least the last batch of 17 years ones didn't seem that bad.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8029590

Oh, thank goodness we were living in Chicago proper at the time. I would freak out if even ONE of those dudes flew into my hair!! : )
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 10, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8030964

They're very noisy here as well. Maybe the warmer temps encourage more vocalization? Seems the hotter it gets, the louder they get. They were quite noisy last night since the air temps were still in the 80's at 10 pm.
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 21, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #8054539

I think they're noisier this year as well, but it might just be the ringing in my ears -- wierd.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America