Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Decorating: Help with bedroom decorating

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 17, Views: 242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7985421

This is our master bedroom, or rather, a dull and borning place we sleep. It's a 1910 home with beautiful oak trim around the windows and doors are all oak. The trim is wide as well. Our massive furniture is also oak.

I need a warm color but nothing to dark. Little light but 2 windows. It needs warmth and decorating. I plan to put a quilt rack on the wall with one of mom's quilts but need to get some ideas on color and how to warm up our space, what to place on the dresser, etc. This is the way the furniture will stay placed in the room. It's currently painted a pale lavender. Oak floors too.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7985422

another

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7989899

Beautiful wood.
I'd suggest looking on hgtv.com for ideas, it's great you can search by room and style. Are you keeping the wall color? I look at lavender as fitting in with 2 styles modern(with silver & black) or country/cottage, which would be more bright and airy, so doesn't neccesarily fit in with the warmth aspect you're looking for. There are so many things you can do, looks like you have pretty much a blank slate to work with.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7990372

It is very blank. I really need help with this room. It's so dull. This isn't the color for the room, that's for sure. My husband probably wouldn't like a very dark color but he will deal with what I pick. It needs warm colors but with all that wood I don't know what to do. I painted the living room a deep green, very nice color, and it really made the wood pop.

Here is a picture of our livingroom. Any help on the bedroom will be welcomed!
Kathy

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7991439

If you want to keep the wall color I would just change the wall behind the bed to a darker purple(same color family), matching bedding, curtains, change the shades on the wall sconces, add a long painting or mirror in between the closet door(?) and door, armoire is really tall so wouldn't put anything on it

Here's an idea for accent wall color
http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Bedrooms/Purple-Accent-Wall/detail.esi?oid=16982880
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7992013

Thanks and I would really like to explore options. I don't need to keep the color - would rather find something warmer. Please, give suggestions as I am open to anything except changing furniture or woodwork.

Kathy

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7992263

I wouldn't even suggest changing the wood it's beautiful.

I always look at warm colors to be on the darker side, I think the wood would blend too much with yellows or oranges, so I'd stay away from those. But blues, greens, reds, browns(taupe) would work
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7992889

I would like to find a nice blue. That is the hardest color to pick.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 24, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7994087

Beautiful wood and beautiful headboard!! You have a nice start ---great bones. I would not choose a color until you decide which quilt you are using. The quilt should lead the way. Pick a color from the quilt or if all the colors are too dark or too light ... pick a color from the quilt and go up or down a shade (s) for your walls.

If you want the room to be warm but are a little shy about making a choice, you can go with a warm white (no matter what those folks on HGTV say ...nothing wrong with white if you've got the other accessories to complement and liven things up!!) Bring in color with your quilt, pillows, bed linens, rugs and the shades on the sconces.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7994297

Thanks Rosie,
I am one that changes my mind on color frequently, normally. The bedroom has been one of the last rooms to decorate and now, since I spend little awake time in there - want to warm it up and have a place to retreat.

I have several home made quits from my mother who is 70 and from my husbands parents and grand parents who were 90. The quilt can be changed weekly, as with the sheets.

Any info is helpful.
Kathy
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 24, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7994653

Ah all the more reason for a warm white or warm light neutral -- will have to match all those quilts. Just use lots of textures and the entire room will warm up.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7995197

What would you suggest for window treatments? I have new white roman shades to block out the hot sun but lots of full, sheer curtains? or more dense fabric for the windows? A cream tone would be fine but white is to stark for me. Finding the right style of paintings or decorations for the dresser is another issue. A lovely silk floral arrangement maybe? A quit can be hung on the wall to the right of the bed which you can't see in these pictures but there is a wide space beside a windown for a quilt. This is the dresser side. The room is 15x15 with 10 ft ceilings.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7995325

I have the same color bedroom (the wood) as you. And because I do I will take the liberty of saying and hope I don't get you mad that I really wish it were darker more brown and not so 'golden.' Ours is a Nathan Hale set in pine. I keep thinking I will milk paint it black. Big cannonball posts. ... But anyway, that color is soooo hard to match to a paint color. It is very warm and if you don't want the yellows in the bedroom (lots of yellow in that wood) or the clays/oranges/ etc., well it is hard. I don't want my bedroom to wake me up... I want it to feel serene. Most of the soothing/spa like colors are cool colors and the room ends up looking not so hot with the contrasts of the warm woods in the furniture and the floors and cool colors in paint. My husband loves Restoration 'silver sage' and he insisted (I 'told' him so...it was too cool a color for that wood) and we got a big mistake going and still no time found to fix it... anyway... by a warm white -- I meant a warm white (candlelight would be a name or linen) creme color or a warm light light mocha, etc. With regard to the curtains... I can be no help. I hate curtains and so I walk around on my knees at night (grin) If I had to offer a suggestion, . I would get something very 'muslin-y' homespun to go with the quilts. Very very very very light (not transparent like chiffon like but a cotton --like a material you might find in a baby's christening gown) I think the material would go well with the creme walls and I would get the curtains in white --because the quilts would be the focus to me for the color, and white curtains would also blend in with the shades which are functional but would not be considered a part of the decor. I'd want the shades to 'disappear' as much as possible when not in use. The color would come in with the wall quilts and the wood of your trim and furniture and floors --which are the major 'colors.' If the quilts give off an 'americana' flare... I would find one of those big or medium sized (depending on the scale of the room and the space) metal stars and paint it black or a dark brick/red/brown and hang it high-ish. As far as decorations...again ... you've got the quilts and you will have pillows too and rugs. I would pick up the same shade (the black or the brick red/brown) in fabric or metal shades on the wall lamps. If you go with a light fabric on the wall sconces --I would then consider spray painting the metal the darker color. If there is not an americana feel to the quilts but more homespun/floral etc., then I would search for just one large wall painting -- put it on your most 'open' wall space with a floral design --a vase of flowers or similiar -- and I'd paint the frame a dull black (like a milk paint). I think black settles a space and also goes great with the wood and in the absence of being able to paint the walls a cool color... to me a little black can feel peaceful. So your room would be basically neutral ... creme, white, browns or black plus the colors of your chosen quilt. A rag rug or a oval rug (like the LL Bean rugs) in similar colors could go on the floor. I wouldn't put too many doo dads around the room because of the beauty of the quilts plus dust and breathing considerations. Just my aesthetic -- I am sure others will give you totally different ideas!!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 12:33 PM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7995379

This is when we first moved in but I thought it would show how much better the reds/warm in the scarves looks as compared to that painting of rosie at the beach which has a lot of cool colors. And you can see that our furniture has the same tones as your wood trim.

Thumbnail by missingrosie

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7995382

and you can see how colors look against a white and how it doesn't have to look 'stark' -- the painting that my hubby's dad did isn't a 'quilt' but you can see how it could function as similiar and be the color in the room without having the room look cold.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7995384

Black and wood colors go well I think with this yellow toned wood.

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7995866

Rosie,
Thanks for the great suggestions and yes, the wood is beautiful in this 1910 home but there are 2 closets with wide trim, 2 windows with wide trim and very wide baseboards in the 15x15 room. The added furniture is larger scale too making for more yellow toned wood.

I think the curtains must be something heavier than the white sheers in post Post #7995197 above which you can see behind the quilts on the rack. All quilts are so different, everything from patchwork to dutch girls to floral. The catheraderal quilt will go on the wall (you can see a small part of it under the dutch girl quilt on the rack.

I like the idea of painting the ugly gold colored wall lights. I hate those bases but there wasn't anything to pick from and those lights are great reading lights. The ceiling fan which is barely visable here is branished bronze. It's very dark and could be the 'paint' for the lights and picture frame from a painting. I agree the dark color, dark bronze in this case (verses black) will settle everything.

I love the ideas. The walls are not perfect and light colors show the little indentions and imperfections of the age but that's ok. It's part of the history. I'll go hunt up curtains now. I'm also with you on curtains - I hate fooling with them. The roman shades are a blessing from the hot sun blasting in the windows. I have them in every room and it really cools the house.

I will also paint the curtain rods the same dark bronze to bring depth there as well. Thanks for all your help - and still open to any and all suggestions. This won't get started for awhile so folks feel free to chime in.

kathy
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7995963

You probably already know this but flat paint will disguise many more dents and dings and 'life' marks as compared to anything with a gloss or semi-gloss or even the soft egg'shell' finish.

1910 wow --- does that mean that you have that wonderful glass 'tile' ----that pale sea green glass that was sometimes paired with the shiny black glass tile? I love that stuff! It is so clean and crisp. Hard to find intact.

I totally missed those quilts on the rack - beautiful - you are lucky to have family quilts. Yes those curtains I think (at least for me) would be too sheer. The material I am thinking of would be like the sort of thin cotton like you see in ladies antique white hankies. Because it would go well with the materials in the quilt and also let the light in since you have so much wood and you said not a lot of light coming from the windows and even less when you are trying to block the heat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America