What's wrong

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

I have searched the site to find out what is wrong with my Dahlias. Seems like every year that I grow these beauts something goes wrong. I am thinking of planting them in a different spot next year like maybe Michigan. LOL Not really but they did grow better for me. First I find out how to make the stem strong so they won't fall over now I have this problem. Anyone know what is wrong? Thanks so much

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

here it is

Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

and

Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Boise, ID

Looks like you might be over-watering them or they just aren't draining around the tuber well enough.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Hmmm...I'm seeing ever-so-fine webbing on some of those leaves...Looks like Spider mites to me. So sorry, if I'm right because that particular plant might be too far along to save. I could be wrong about that, though. I had this same horrible, evil problem last year. Look at undersides of leaves and look for teeny tiny red dots barely moving.

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks everyone...I have one more question, cause of where I have these plants I love so well your right the drainage sucks or rather it holds water it is sandy., can I move these now to a different location or should I just leave them, can't believe the problems I am having maybe I should give up and find something else to love lol..

I'm just guessing it's too late to move them now but if they look so sad that you're willing to give up on them then it may be worth taking a chance. Prepare your new spot well so they can adapt fast and amend the soil before you plant. Good luck and please let us know how the plant responds.

You can plant it deeper than before and then you would get new tubers from the stem: it's up to you.

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much pirl. It's like every year they look a little bit worse and I hate that. They are planted in my front yard so all can see as they drive by and that doesn't make me at all proud,. So I will try this and let you all know. I have to wait a couple days till the weather cools down but I will definetly let you know..Thanks for your help
KK

Invest a few dollars in some compost and manure. Use that for the new spot for the dahlia and don't overwater. You can remove the ugly leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images