Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mums and Asters: Anyone growing Spider Mums?

Communities > Forums > Mums and Asters
bookmark
Forum: Mums and AstersReplies: 3, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7985688

I am growing spider mums for the first time this year. I was seduced by photographs in an article about Japanese Kiku a year or more ago and this year I took the plunge. I bought 5 varieties from King's Mums this spring. I transplanted them into their final growing containers and now have to figure out the maintenance of them for the large flowers.

I will post photographs of the plants later on this week. Hopefully also the flowers in the fall!

Joseph
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #8039801

I had been looking at the offerings by Bluestone Perennials and King's Mums but could not decide. Will be looking forward to your pictures, Joseph.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8708108

I grew them one year, and they could not withstand our winters. I was lucky and had one or two come back, but sadly they didn't survive in my zone.

Deb
fleur_guy
Parma, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8714583

Gerris2
I looked at the exhibition mums including spiders this year and decided to take an easier route and bought some "Football" mums and also some Mammoth mums. The exhibition style blooms so late for my 5/6 zone, I'm sure they have to be shaded.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America