Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: 1st year WSmy successes

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 2, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7986249

there were many but the standouts for me:
parsley
nasturtiums
zinnias (mid-spring sowing)
peas
tomatoes!

i am still in shock re: the tomatoes. i scarcely believed tomatoes would work at all. i got word quite late that i would have a community garden plot so my teeny tiny tomato seedlings did not go in the ground until june 7 (zone 6a). i felt silly, they were so small but they have since nearly caught up to the plants that were purchased nursery-sized. (the heat wave no doubt helped.) they certainly look healthier than most of the "full size" transplants, even if they are a bit behind in fruiting & ripening. i look forward to next year when i know i will have somewhere to put them, and can get them earlier.

photo is my black cherry that went from 6" to 2' in 20 days.
thanks to all, and trudi, especially

Thumbnail by 6aseeder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #8013371

6aseeder,
That is a VERY healthy looking tomato plant. Great job!

Last winter was my first WSing attempt as well. I was soooooooooooo successful with all my tomato and bell pepper seedlings, that I will probably NEVER go back to babysitting seeds under fluorescent lights again!

Now.

You can NOT post a pic of such a foreign looking tomato trellis and not explain what it is. So. What planet did the orange ameoba-looking contraption come from?
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8016820

i cannot take credit for the trellis system:
http://nycgarden.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-do-i-support-thee-let-me-count-ways.html

in trying to duplicate his "system," the only large-opening mesh that did not cost $50/roll was this very conspicuous snow fencing. snow fencing is very brittle & not the best choice but it does the trick. the tomato plants are very stable, and my burgeoning (i hope) crop is supported by the horizontal nets. bamboo stakes also help in the vertical planes. so far, so good.

my garden plot is overrun by voles so i also put 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom (otherwise open ) to keep the buggers out. my planters are 14" x 14", with 10" boards. lettuce gets planted in the 4 corners of each planter at the beginning of the season.

donna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America