Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Riddle Answer Forum: Answer to August 7 2010 riddle

Communities > Forums > Riddle Answer Forum
bookmark
Forum: Riddle Answer ForumReplies: 2, Views: 347
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7986571

I am corn, Zea mays. Along with beans and squash, we were known as the 'Three Sisters' to the ancient peoples of the Americas. Together, we were nutritionally complete and easily stored. My sisters and I were vital to their survival.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63467/

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8024799

Here is a trivia fact. When cooking corn the Native peoples would add to the pot, a small portion of wood ash. The reason is Culinary Lye (aka Potash), a mixture of water and wood ash to which corn is cooked in, removes the clear outer coating of each corn kernel (pericarp). Mixing wood ash and water together form potassium hydroxide, a natural caustic chemical, which makes hard proteins in the corn pericarp soluble. this process makes niacin and other micro-nutrients in corn digestible, which simmering dried corn in plain water does not.

Today, in place of the water-and-wood-ash brew is Culinary Lime, a white powder from purified, natural calcium deposits. It is mixed with water to make lime water. Hominy is dried corn simmered in lime water. I can also be called posole or nixtamal. Nixtamal is also the name of the cooking process.

Aquene(Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo(SnowRabbit)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 9:03 AM
BostonArea_6A
East Bridgewater, MA

August 7, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #8025057

Thanks to both of you.

I hope it "stirs" interest (sorry about the pun) in our pre-Columbus cultures, because they lived in harmony with their environments across the continent.

Good point about the niacin; the European explorers returned to the Old World with many of the food stuffs, but not all the cooking techniques to access the foods' nutritional value.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Riddle Answer Forum Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Answer to July 17 2010 riddle melody 0 Jul 16, 2010 9:21 AM
Answer to 8-28 riddle melody 0 Aug 27, 2010 11:28 AM
Answer to 9-25 Garden Riddle melody 0 Sep 24, 2010 9:25 AM
Answer to 9-16 riddle melody 0 Oct 15, 2010 2:46 PM
Answer to 11-6 Riddle melody 0 Nov 2, 2010 1:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America