-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7989766

Everyone around southeastern WI and northern IL get through them okay? We sure got some wild, wild weather here. 6 hours from the start of all the tornado warnings (I think we had 4 different warnings for our county before the night was over) and all the heavy rain and lightning--lightning from hell!--and my city got over 6" of rain last I heard. Parts of Milwaukee got over 7 in just 2.5 hours. Crazy!

We don't have any damage here that I can see--it never got windy and we didn't get hail, just heavy rain and that lightning. My mom's house, about 10 miles southeast, was hit by lightning, but appears to be unscathed. My grandma, who's 93, said it came right through her bedroom window.

One interesting thing at least--I now have a pond where I once had an area prepped for a garden bed. I'm SO glad I didn't plant it full of hostas this year like I intended to.

Anyhow, I really hope that everyone made it through okay. This was definitely a rough evening.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7990197

Glad to hear you and your family are OK! Down here we were south of the big storms and only got a couple of short downpours, but hearing about the 6 - 7" of rain makes me cringe - have had that kind of rain in the past and know how much damage it can cause!
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7990881

We can rain yesterday and the wind ripped up some leaves, but most of the storm all went south of us. I can't imagine getting that much rain. I hope no one floated away.

Just imagine, a new water feature in your garden overnight.
textilis
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7992374

I drove through all the storms driving from St Paul to Waukesha. Quite an adventure. Saw lots of flooding...some in my parents back yard. Their creek became a raging river that spilled over the banks and into the lower portions of everyone's yards.! Started receding by late today, but I just saw more lightning to the west. No more rain, PLEASE!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7995008

Same here. It took my DD and hour and a half to get to a meeting Saturday in Chicago with a condo group. It should have taken 20 minutes. Roads were flooded, the Eisenhower was flooded and so was Interstate 55 south in Chicago. Everywhere she went, she had to turn around and find a new route. She hates working on Saturdays anyway. To make matters worse, when she got to the property, her clients weren't there. I think we got about 5 inches of rain, no wind, but lots of thunder and lightening. The dogs were hiding under the coffee table.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America