Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening Stalwart: leaves

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening Stalwart
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening StalwartReplies: 6, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 23, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7990761

yesterday i finally got around to raking --about 8inches thick--as i raked to the ground i found the dirt was cool and looking better than the dirt without the leaves-- i thought i will have to get some mulch for the area since in our hot dry zone the dirt would bake and crack
that's when i saw the irony of raking up the leaves to go out and buy mulch to put back!!
i did leave a thinner layer of leaves in place--but i think i should have left them all--of course that big ole pecan tree will keep leaving its leaves and more will take their place

i have done lasagna layering a few years back and your article has me thinking i might use ms stouts method of constantly layering ---thanks for introducing me to such an inspirational person!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7990965

Hi Ms. Linda,

YouTube used to have three separate videos posted taken from "Ruth Stout's Garden", but they were removed for copyright violation. Margaret Roach had them up on her website, it's where I first saw them. Now they're removed from her website as well.

Thanks for reading my article and you're most welcome!!

TC

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 23, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7992114

That was a fun read!

It has got me thinking it might be a way to reclaim my aging sick mother's flower beds that are overgrown with weeds.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 24, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7992909

i was at a neighbors --she had a landscaper redo her yard and he just piled that mulch on so thick a weed had no chance of getting through--
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7994765

http://www.homestead.org/BarbaraBambergerScott/RuthStout/RuthStout%20-TheNo-DigDuchess.htm

I have an odd sense of humor sometimes, but I found this article to be downright hilarious, I laugh til my face hurts every time I read it.
The first page is a little dry, but it picks up...
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7998650

Thanks so much for the article, TC. It brought back wonderful memories of gardening with my grandparents in Northeastern PA. My grandmother was a devotee of the Stout method of mulching right from the start. I remember the soil being very rich, fluffy and moist. I don't remember them using newspapers, but there were always plenty of spoiled hay bales lined up to be spread in the spring, fall, and whenever an area or rows of the garden had yielded and needed to 'rest.' My grandfather would separate the bales into 'books' and layer them thickly. We'd also be sent out as children to put the potato peelings, squash ends, and other kitchen garbage under the hay, or into the 'mulch pit' at the center of the garden, and let the earthworms spread it around! Johnson grass was a problem in that area too, but much, much less so with the thick mulch all around.

Thanks for bringing back those memories.

Happy gardening!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7999046

Thanks all for the wonderful comments! I'm glad you enjoyed my article.

That was a good piece FrillyLilly, I read the entire thing.

PinetopPlanter, I'm humbled that my article brought back warm memories for you. Thanks for reading!

Darlindeb - mulch mulch mulch!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening Stalwart Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cardboard/papers/woodchips heygeno 1 Jul 26, 2010 7:07 PM
consolation jazzy1okc 1 Jul 26, 2010 7:01 PM
Always loved Ruth Stout... Sundownr 1 Jul 28, 2010 11:26 AM
Regrets nancy902 2 Aug 2, 2010 6:55 PM
straw and newspaper RebeccaLynn 3 Jul 21, 2013 11:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America