LOOFAS FOR 2010 - WHOSE IN?

(Zone 5a)

Well we came from here:
Luffa Sponge Soaps....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/874758/
-----

Last year at this time, my loofas, um make that loofa, as I only had one plant was no wheres near the growth I got going on on this years. Just maybe I am gonna get sponges off these pups! Well time will tell. Now they are a tad wilty from the heat. I have eight plants on this side of the trellis and 8 gonna met them on the peak on the otherside.

Its kinda hard to tell what on earth this is....but it is my smaller hooper that has become a glorified
trellis for maters, zukes, cukes and loofs! And hanging baskets. You cant see it all in this pix though....

So, whose in?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Bloosom , My luffas are going crazy but only the vines so far . I do see flowers in the late evening & morning but no luffas yet ..

(Zone 5a)

Hi Deni! I think yours are earlier than mine. Last year I had a late start and only got to enjoy flowers of the vines of them. This year I hope they will sponge.

We have been having hi humidity and heat and they seem to love it, although they will "wilt" a little from it.

mine do wilt in the heat of the day ..ill try and get a picture later ..
hope you get sponges this year too ..I know last year I didnt think I was going to get any till the last mini then had some freeze on the vine :(

(Zone 5a)

Well, here is hoping good things come for both of us!

heres the only one so far

Thumbnail by denimangle

but maybe more will showup
its just sooo very hot right now & they look so sad in the afternoon

Thumbnail by denimangle
(Zone 5a)

I just pruned mine a lillte.. I got 16 plants on a large trellis..

this pic was a couple weeks ago, not its humid and growing like mad!

Ok Questions How ? Where? and Why? did you prun your loofa Should I Prune mine?

(Zone 5a)

My loofa was getting unruly and going where I dint want it to climb... just nipped a few leaves off and the stems that were out of bounds.

Prund my maters too. Man this humidity is making things grow crazy!

yeah I did the Maters this week too
just letting the gourds go crazy tho ...lol

(Zone 5a)

Been pruning the maters daily. Im not happy with them.. they are cracking on top.. dont know if thats part of the breed or the heat. so far only 2 mater worms

My zukes are three feet tall and getting realllly wide!

Incredible the humiduty and heat units the vegs are getting! My burpless cukes have been 18 inches long. Got them on a trellis and they have been reallly yumms!

Just checked the melon patch.. their comeing and the punkins... the plants are going great guns too.

I need to get some radish in

(Zone 5a)

The big leaved things in the foreground are my Zukes/ then the vines in the back are the loofas and a stray mater going on the same trellis... You can see how much the loofas had grown and this is after pruning them today... could tell that I did but from the clippings on the ground they were so thick!

You can see my shed in the back there.. the loofas make a canopy over my green peppers!

(Zone 5a)

I just nipped the leaves at the stem and then took a few bites of the ends of a couple vines cutting those right at the leaf leaving a leave at the end. I dont know if this will hurt th eplants or not.. but they were so thick they could not get sun.

The maters.. same wat snip leaves at the stem leaving the "trunk" of the vine and then if you need to tp them, snip the tips leaving a leaf at the end. I do not prune any that had flowers or fruit setting.. .my vines are incredible this year..

Why?? .... because they were in my garden path and going places they were not wanted! downright a veggie jungle!

(Zone 5a)

another veiw of the arbor that they are on!...

(Zone 5a)

ok, we have a loofa baby!

Cool!!!
I think I still only have one about a foot long

(Zone 5a)

I have not looked lately to see if there are more..

Got this article in the mail today.. loofas...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1963/

(Ya'll come back!)

(Zone 5a)

Loofa bloom and bee!

As I was walking out to the Lufffa patch I saw some blooms up in the tree when I got under the vines I spotted this Can you see it

Thumbnail by denimangle

now just how am I going to get it down ....lol

Thumbnail by denimangle
(Zone 5a)

Um...gravity!

I got my first one growing on too... weird how these gourds "blow" up like a baloon, or is it just this one?

Thats pretty strange looking..... :)

(Zone 5a)

I thought so too, wonder what the sponge will clean? Bottles?!

(Zone 5a)

Here is another! Much better...

Its still pretty small... hoping it will gain some size yet.

Well if all I get is a couple of the gourds I will be happy. The vines were awesome to enjoy and made a realllly neat cover onthe trellis we had for them. Provided shhade for my green bell peppers and it was a fun plant this summer.

Last year I didn't think I was going to get but a couple I enden up with about a dos lost a few more to a freek freeze
Good luck

(Zone 5a)

I have 20 vines! Its crazy! Wonder when I should pick them? I know its early now, do I just leave them on the vines untill they frost?

Don't pick them yet they have a long way to go .. Before the first frost is good or after they start drying what ever comes first ..
if they dry on the vine they are really easy to clean... picked green cleaning is a mess

(Zone 5a)

Dumb question.. are they sposed to be soft? Mine are "spongee" like! I thought they woudl be harder than that!

And what would happen if they frost on the vine other than the leaves croaking, will the gourd be ok?

LOL Yes they are soft till they dry If you harvest them small they are Food :)
the bigger They get the tougher they get . If you were to pick green the skin is hard to get off and it is like SLIME inside A light frost might not do anything but if they havent started to dry & they freeze it will just turn to mush inside ... ( just ask me how I know ) ....LOL

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 7:26 PM

(Zone 5a)

LOL! Well, Time will tell.

Ok, I will bite, how do you know! *G*!

We got hit wit a very early freeze last year When I brought in the luffa the bottom 1/2 had been frozen and were just soft & slime...

(Zone 5a)

EWWWWE! LOL! thanks for the "gory" details!

Slimey sponges....ick!

Our tree leaves are turning and things are drying down fall is coming early ima fraid!

yeah we had a cold front come our way ..it was 85 yesterday an all time record low for the day :)

(Zone 5a)

I once almost bought a house down in Brownsville.....I know your weather... when its humid, nothin moves. Nothing worse than high humidity and a cold front coming on. Makes aurther scream!

I like Texas though.. just gimme a few acres for the ponies, a moat and bobwhar!

Dont mind so much the heat... but that moisture now that be what I call a slimey sponge!

LOL We are a LONG days ride from Brownsville about 2&1/2 hours from LA
we have had lots of humidity this but no rain .. we are about to blow away its so dusty

(Zone 5a)

Yeah, its a blowing sand pit here too. Need 6 inches of rain.. slow and steady would be nice, but all at once would be fine too! Guess all the tropicals are out in the atlantic and the dirty side is keeping the weather over there.

(Zone 5a)

ok, sponge it up!!

LOL Don't get on a rush they will grow like crazy till the end :)

(Zone 5a)

they are sooo cute though!! LOL!!! I cant wait to fondle them with suds!

And today I noticed a bunch more of them coming! WHoohoo!

I love this crazy plant!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010 1:36 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images