Forum: Article: Botrytis Mold of StrawberriesReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
davea0511

July 23, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7991930

Hydrogen Peroxide (h2o2) isn't bleach (NaClO), and in fact they are as dissimilar as is bleach and water. You can even drink a considerable amount of 3% h2o2 (over the counter typical strength) without any adverse effects (though I don't recommend it, some even do it for health reasons) ... bleach on the other hand is just bad to consume at any concentration and putting bleach on your strawberries would be a bad idea.

Hydrogen peroxide won't affect the taste of your strawberries and there is no need to rinse them off. I actually soak our strawberries with ascorbic acid (vitamin c) after picking for about 5 minutes and they last many weeks without mold. Without it, mold usually sets in within 1-2 days. While ascorbic acid is good for you, if you soak your strawberries too long they will get a bit of that Vitamin C taste, which I don't care for, but a quick soak works fine, and I follow it with a very quick rinse.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7996082

Chlorine bleach [NaClO] is one bleaching agent. Hydrogen Peroxide [H2O2] is another. It is used in many bleaching applications; it is a common agent for bleaching hair.

"Bleach" does not refer exclusively to Chlorine bleach.

Chlorine bleach should certainly not be used to treat strawberries.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Botrytis Mold of Strawberries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Spelling fauna4flora 7 Dec 19, 2009 3:19 AM
cotton seed hull mulch bsfrisco 0 Jun 10, 2009 12:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America