Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Post photos of your favorite perennial combinations

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 201, Views: 3,865
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 23, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7992135

I have a huge bed at the front of our property (full sun) that I want to devote to 3 colors of perennials. It seems that coneflowers bloom a long time here. So, I'd love to see if anyone has some combos with that flower.

If any of you have worked with a color wheel, I'd like to know what you thought about that approach.

I'd love to see what combinations you all have had success with.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7992179

Glad you posted this question too. I ordered a Annual and perennial color planner wheel and a plant swatch from LeeValleytools catalogue and I can't figure out how it works yet. One wheel is for flowers that are low growing, the next wheel med height and then the outler wheel is for tall bloomiers. The plant swatch is like a paint chart. That's easier to understand.
There are some beautiful gardens and I have either printed out their pictures for a guide line or written down nice combinations posted that I like so I can remember it in 2011.
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 23, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7992240

Oh, that's interesting. I remember someone saying something about laying out a garden like, "pants, socks and shoes" meaning tall, medium and short. I also remember someone saying to do container gardens as, "Thriller, filler and spiller" meaning the interesting or colorful plant, a follage plant and something that hangs over the edge.

I went to a talk on landscape design this year and the man talked about using colors that were across from each other on the color wheel, colors that were in a triangle pattern from each other and colors that where variations of the same color. He said to limit your colors to 3. I have not purchased a color wheel yet. I was going to look for one on Amazon.com.

I suffer from what he calls "crapus collectus." I have this mismash of plants that individually are interesting, but put them together and they don't flow well. Of course, alot of them are from friends and virtually free. LOL

I have had other unplanned combos like this daisy 'Becky' and 'Stargazer' Oriental Lily that turned out well.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7995702

One of my combos I like. TN coneflower, cosmos, and liatris.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7995708

Another combo I like. Tall bellflower and black-eyed Susan.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7995727

I like Hot Lava Coneflower and Prairie Sun Rudibeckia together.

Thumbnail by pepper23

DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7995750

One more. I like this false sunflower (heliopsis) with the white yarrow.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 25, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7996722

Yea! Photos I LOVE PHOTOS!!!
It is so much easier for me once I see something.

Here is something my husband brought home a few years back and it comes back every year. I'm thinking it comes back from root; however, I'm not sure. I know it as 'Mexican Petunia.'

I wonder if anyone has tried planting this behind coneflowers?

Thumbnail by darlindeb

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7997995

I've read on here that Mexican Petunia - ruellia - is extremely invasive. I planted it a few years ago and it ended up dying out on me - I guess our winter was just too cold that year for it.
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

July 26, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7998331

Ditto on the coneflower/liatris combo. An added benefit is that the butterflies love both flowers.
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 26, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7998788

I might have to rethink that 'Mexican Petunia.'

'Obedient Plant' is another invasive plant if it finds the right spot.
I was told it was called that because you can turn the little trumpets on there and they stay put once you turn them. Kids think that is very interesting.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7998805

I also like Coneflowers and wild phlox together. The colors are similar but the phlox are hardy enough to thrive in the middle of the coneflowers. Plus they smell good.

Thumbnail by pepper23

DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7999116

My second year winter sowing I planted "purple" coneflowers. When they bloomed the second year, I found out they were cross-pollinated. I like them like that.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8001722

this is my all time favorite combo

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #8001744

Above picture is from about 4-5 yrs ago...this is same bed,up a few feet from opposite side,mostly the same but I've been adding plants.I was trying to get a picture of the korean burnet in the foreground,was to close and got a glare...sorry

Thumbnail by bigred

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 28, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8001860

Pepper23 - I do like the phlox combo with the coneflower. Phlox are pretty hardy in my garden.

DEMinPA- Are both white and pink on the same plant?

bigred - do you know the name of the white flower? I see a wild flower around where I live that looks like that.

Is the 'Korean Burnet' a wild flower? Does it look like this pink flower in the picture below? This pink flower is just something that showed up in the vegetable garden.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8002147

your flower looks like japanese knot weed/polygonum

white flower in first picture is Queen Ann's Lace a nautralize european native. Korean Burnet is sangisorbia(sp?)You should be able to google Korean burnet and get the correct spelling.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #8008139

Just thought I'd pass on a site that i just found through browsing..Lazy S' farm nursery in Barboursville, Va. has a wonderful website and if you click on a specific plant, it will show you different combinations that work well together. I bookmarked it for future use for myself. I read how they pack their plants for shipping and I'm impressed and I would order from them in a flash. Look them up in plant files or Dave's top nursery listings.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8008441

I've ordered from Lazy S for years. Packed well. Extensive inventory. Owner is very personable.
I think her name is Debby Sheuchenko.
On more than one occasion, she has sent a plant I ordered, but didn't charge for it, since she wasn't sure it looked like it was thriving.
Quite refreshing compared to other experiences when you receive a plant carcass on life-support at full charge.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #8012577

Here's vernonia (ironweed) along w/ daylily.
You can't tell from the picture, but this daylily is 6ft tall!!!

Thumbnail by Weerobin

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 2, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8014418

I looked at the Lazy S website and found lots of links to public gardens.

Weerobin- that is a wonderful color combination.

Do any of you interplant herbs or host plants for butterflys? If so, what plants do you use?

This is a rue plant if I remember right. I think it has some kind of swallowtail caterpillar on it.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #8014435

I like to plant parsley with all my plants. The cats go nuts over it.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 2, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #8014467

This bed has the blue of Caryopteris, Plumbago, East Friesland Salvia, Veronica, and Liriope flowers; sherbet colors of Daylilies; yellow and purple Iris on the back rim (out of bloom, here); and Magnus Coneflowers. When we have enough rain, it looks spectacular. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 3, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #8015234

Here are the Irises showing off before the others wake up...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #8015679

Lovely, Debra. What are the dark red flowers in front of the Iris?
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 3, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #8016517

pepper23 - that is funny about the parsley. I've planted catnip and the local kitties don't seem much interested.

Debra - lovely iris Thanks for posting photos.

Here is an oxalis I think it is 'Iron Cross' that has come back for me several years and even naturalized in a different area. I have it in part shade.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 3, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8016565

pagancat, those are Dianthus. Fourth year, so they are pretty sturdy to survive our dry summers.

darlindeb, you are welcome. I love to take pictures of the flowers growing in my yard, so thank you for giving me another opportunity to share them. :-)

Debra

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8016604

darlindeb, your caterpillar is a Giant Swallowtail...Very cool!

I grow fennel for the Black Swallowtail Butterflies to lay eggs on. I leave some out but also bring some in to raise.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8017564

Really - you raise them indoors? We might need a new thread for that, lol!

Wow, Deb - that's amazing, in my climate the irises wake up long before the Dianthus.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #8017598

darlindeb - I wish I could get oxalis to grow for me more than one season! I plant the bulbs every year and they are so pretty then they never come back. I've tried different spots in my yard, even different varieties but no luck. I think I must be the only person that it doesn't grow for - lol

I'm with you, Sheryl, my irises are way ahead of my dianthus.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 4, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8017641

Here is a close up of the Dianthus. They are darker than the camera shows, but still a vibrant color.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8017692

Lots of us do! We share our experiences over here on the Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Forum!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bbb/all/

I released a beautiful male this morning!
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 4, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #8018997

nanny_56 -How interesting about raising butterflys.

Here is a part shade combo that works well near the Oxalis.

I think I'ver heard the fern called 'Ostrich' and the pink flowers I only know them as 'Naked Ladies' LOL.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 4, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8019138

Those are Resurrection Lilies, Lycoris squamigera -- also know as Naked Ladies. :-)
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 5, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #8021384

This is a pretty plant in the spring if it is full of blooms. I do think it has a tendency to be invasive. 'Missouri Primrose' is what someone told me it was.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8022780

Ack, darlin..you just printed a picture of my worst nightmare...It's showy evening primrose and it took me almost five years to get rid of it - at least, I haven't seen it this year yet. It is pretty but very, very invasive.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/236/

The Missouri primrose is the yellow one.

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 6, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8023716

Janaeston - Thanks for the info. Most of mine actually died out this year. I think I waited too long to rake the leaves off of it.

Here is another plant that likes to take over. I know it as soapwort.
Mine is in a raised bed and acts like a groundcover. If you put it up against the Showy Evening Primrose, I think the soapwort would
win

Thumbnail by darlindeb

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #8027887

I've never had soapwort myself,,and now that you said it might won against evening primrose, I won't! LOL
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8032068

I have a soapwort called 'Max Frei', very pretty & not invasive.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8039728

Here's an accidental pretty combo.
Due to rain overnight, my usually upright patrinia is now at veronica height.
A nice yellow backdrop for the veronica, at least for today.

Edited to say ... maybe that's a salvia!
Oh well, it was a pleasant scene regardless of their true identities.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 3:06 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 16, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8043949

Weerobin - nice color contrast you have there.

I guess succulents are perennials.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8044135

Great trough, Darlin'!
Is it imbedded into the ground?
Looks great!
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 24, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #8059814

Yupe, it's all a stone thing hubby built.

This was by mistake; however, it turned out interesting. We have railroad ties lining the walk in the woods that I put some moss in containers that had mesh like bottoms. Hubby didn't need the moss, so the containers just sat there for about a year. I guess the spores just went directly into the railroad tie and covered it.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8061122

I like the way Echinacea, Asclepias tuberosa and Lavender look together...

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8061124

Here's Echinacea 'Hot Papaya' and Coreopsis 'Jethro Tull'. The Echinacea 'Hot Papaya' turns bright red over time and loses the orange color but it's an awesome plant!

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #8061857

Clint, in your picture of the coneflowers, butterfly weed and lavender..what is the name of the coneflower, and lavender? Seems like all the coneflowers I have start out either ugly pink/mauvey purple..Some seeds were gathered from public library flowerbed so I don't know what the name of those are, and some were sent to me as a Newbie last winter. No name on them except coneflower or purple coneflower. I wnat to look for some other colors to add more color to my flowerbeds next spring. Where do you buy a lot of your coneflowers?

DeminPa..what do you do with your liatris, once they are finished blooming? I cut mine back yesterday to the ground. I cut off the part where the blooms were and put them inside a brown lunch bag, hoping the seeds fall out. How do you get the seed out any other way? I'd like to transplant them to another bed in the front of the house but am waiting for cooler weather, like mid-late Sept.

Lovemyhouse...love your dianthus..do you know what variety they are, or where you got them from. Did you grow them from seeds or buy as a starter plant from garden center?
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8062473

I allow my liatris seeds to mature on the stalk. Then collect them. If you collect them before the seeds are mature, they wont't sprout.

Don
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2010
10:40 PM

Post #8062636

That moss covered railroad tie is really unique...doubt that it will be easy to duplicate. Mistakes are often the best designs.

Amarllyis belladonna, yellow echinacea, and gallardia. Not necessarily a favorite combo, but the naked ladies I planted there years ago, and then added the echinacea and gallardia because whatever was there before had died and that was available space. KInd of how most of my garden gets planted. LoL. Both needs trimming badly.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #8062730

The liatris have bloomed several months ago. Do they turn brown when mature as you say. How do you get the seeds out of them?
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2010
1:53 AM

Post #8062746

darlindeb - your oxalis is called 'Oxalis Triangularis'. One of my favorites! Of course mine is an indoor plant.

lovemyhouse = I love the red dianthus. I'm trying to grow some perennial red ones right now, first year so they are very small, but bloomed their first year so I'm happy.

I love my tall cone flowers blooming with my tall lillies every year.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 26, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8062977

toofewanimals, 23 of the first 24 days in August here were at 100 degrees or better, and bone dry. The dianthus struggled the least and, after yesterday morning's rain are the first to be perking back up. I love them.

Debra
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8062999

I think the Lavender was Provence. I'm not 100% sure though. The Echinacea was just a seedling from one of the hybrids. I liked the blooms so I kept it.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 26, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #8063395

Clint, it looks like Provence to me, too. Have some in my yard and like it best of all the lavenders I put in.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #8952243

I enjoy reading these posts in winter while I have time.
I believe the little red Dianthus mentioned above is Dianthus deltoides.
It's a cutie and grows well in rock gardens, stays short: 6 inches.

http://www.dianeseeds.com/dianthus-deltoides.html
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #8976764

Salvia 'Black and Blue', coreopsis, Amaranth 'Hopi Red Dye'

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #8976769

Dianthus, Broom, Lady's Mantle, allium

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #8976778

Euphorbia with Coleus 'Black Dragon' was a nice combo.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8976847

Great photos and wonderful combinations, kosk!

Euphorbia is a great match for hostas in early spring and 'Fen's Ruby' is a different form of euphorbia but I love how it fills in bare spots without dominating the scene. It's at the bottom, extreme left in this photo.

Thumbnail by pirl

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #8976857

That caladium looks really pretty below the hydrangea that looks like it puts out similar colored blooms...Do you bring the caladium inside in the winter? Do you have any pics of the caladium paired with the hydrangea when it is in full bloom?

Fen's ruby is a good idea. Love lime green. Looks good with everything, it seems.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #8976883

Thanks. Here's one of Miss Muffet caladium just right of where Gypsy Rose (the caladium in the above photo) was. I don't bother even trying to save caladiums from year to year. Fall brings enough work with cutting back and lifting dahlias so I leave the 100 or so caladiums in the gardens.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #8976887

These are Gingerland caladium and they were thriving into November here last year so I'm buying more from Bill (Caladiumbulbs4less) for that spot and many others. They are such a care free plant and no deadheading or saving is required.

Speaking of saving...Bill has his sale going on now with a 15% discount for all DG people who use his code. The sale is only good through 2/12/12. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1237032/

Thumbnail by pirl

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8977505

Lovely combos! There is a new Facebook page for Perennial companion plants for Iris and Daylilies. It is new and I would like to invite you. The host is a horticulturist. I am getting new ideas and you can ask questions. Send for an invitation to Ann Marie Ittner. The more we have will make it more fun.
Also please add my name Teresa Barrow. If you bring 5 others you will be put in a seedling dl drawing.

Teresa in KY

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #8977757

I am nuts for lilies and love this combo Lily Brindisi with pastel yarrow

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #8977761

Starlette with Liatris and Lavander

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #8977763

Phlox Junior Dance with Alteri

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #8977764

Lily Acapulco and Monarda Raspberry Wine

Thumbnail by ge1836

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #8995257

JoAnn

Your pictures are stunning! I love the way you use both color and texture in your gardens.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #8995262

Thanks Carolyn.I thoroly enjoy my spot.
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

February 5, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #8995399

Once in awhile something comes out right. The gas plant and peony are too close together but I don't want to transplant either one of them. They seem to get along well together though. Ya, I know there are milkweeds peeking up, too. I always let a few grow in the gardens and just pinch off the seed pods before they drop their seeds.

Thumbnail by ghopper

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #8995412

looks great
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #8995615

What is the name of the tall lilies with the dark eyezone? They are stunning in a clump.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #8996245

If you are referring to ge1836.Those are Garden Treasure.I believe I bought them from B&D Lilies in 2009

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #8997795

Here are 5,keeep fingers crossed this works Its my first try yahhhooo

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #8997802

Nice, ge! It worked! What's the name of the last one?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #8997832

Scharazahd ( sp) wish they would make an easier spelling of that one.I call it Zahhd just because the first few letters I never get right.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #8997883

In early spring, even before bloom:

Anemone x hybrida Honorine Jobert
Fragaria vesca reugen
Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red'
Salvia verticillata White Rain

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #8999488

Did I mention I don't have anything to do this afternoon? Well, thought I'd share a few of my favorite combinations --
Love being able to send 5 pics at once -- Yay! Dax

1. Clematis and Creeping Phlox - Shades of purple
2. Coleus and Impatiens - Love the vibrant pinks
3. Sundrops and Baptisia australis - two natives - have naturalized for the cottage garden effect
4. Knock-out Rose Razzamatazz and Coreopsis "Creme Brulee" - Two brilliant colors which shine in the bed
5. Sweet Autumn Clematis, Black-eyed Susan, Obedient Plant, and Miscanthus sinensis "Silberfeder" - Late summer glory

Thumbnail by dax080   Thumbnail by dax080   Thumbnail by dax080   Thumbnail by dax080   Thumbnail by dax080

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8999538

What beautiful images.Gardens are really fantastic.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #8999596

Oh soooooo pretty, think I like the multiple photo thing.

Dax...I'm jealous, lol, such beautiful full plantings. That is one thing I hate about new gardens is waiting for things to knit together for that filled in look and you have it. If I could get to my manure pile I'd go out and sprinkle some about, lol.

Pix: just waiting for things to fill in and second pix just got planted last fall ( the last third of my 100ft border)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #8999601

Pirl..meant to ask about the caladium website...are the price 10 for X amount? If so great prices, love caladiums but are expensive here. I did see several that are sun tolerant, like that idea, not much in the way of shade yet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #8999655

Yes, 10 for the amount stated but Bill always seems to add one more.

We use Park Seed Co. for our vegetable seed orders and there they sell 5 caladiums for $11.95.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9007712

Donna, Husker Red makes a nice contrast with the greens. I really like your Salvia. I think I will have to check it out on line. Do you remember where you got it?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9007753

Just came across this combo

Thumbnail by ge1836

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9007761

I do remember. I got in from Bluestone Perennials for a very good price, years ago before their reputation suffered. They are not offering it this year. It appears to be so rare that if you google it the images you get are mine.

Sending you a dmail.

This message was edited May 25, 2014 12:47 PM
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9007763

ge: What are the names of the flowers on post Feb. 7th especially the fourth picture? Very pretty.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9007767

ghopper: Your gas plant is very pretty. I believe it's a color that would compliment a lot of flowers. I also like it's structure and the leaves are quite pretty also.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9007780

The fourth pix is a budded white liatris bought at Bluestone cant remember the variety
The red in the pix is Crocosmia Lucifer. It multiplies really great.
more combos
1 Daylily Lavander Dew and Visions in red astilbe plus baloonflower
2 I wish the camera angle was better,Night Beacon DL and Lily Landini
3 NoHaru JI and Olive B Langdon DL
4 Night Beacon with Lily Robina
5 Jungle Love coleus with Geranium Midnight Reiter

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9008672

ge: I think the gray green foliage of Liatris with the bright true red Lucifer is quite striking.

I have ordered a couple of Japanese Iris to come this spring. Are they difficult to grow? Do you have them in an area that gets lots of moisture?

Love the Geranium MIdnight Reiter. I didn't know there was such a colorful leaved geranium. It's a show stopper. I read on a couple of websites about this pant. One said it was a little difficult to grow and put it in full sun to part shade. The other website said grow in shade. Could you tell me more about your experience with this geranium?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9008711

JI's prefer moist acid soil and full sunlight. I have a few hundred of them and still I buy more.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6742214

Thumbnail by pirl

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9008763

My heart nearly stops when looking at Japanese Irises. I LOVE your pairing with the astilbe. Do you have a favorite mail order source for your JI's? I ordered some last year...I think from van beurgi-whatch-ma-call-it (or however you spell that). Divisions/pieces were ridiculously small, and only 4 of the six even lived. I will be visiting Schreiner's this year (just a few miles from me). I want more JIs and Siberians. I'm not as much of a bearded girl, which is Schreiner's specialty, but I assume they have JIs and SIs.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

February 16, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9008773

Pirl,
Love to see more of your pictures of them! That is beautiful! What is the differance between JI and Siberian iris?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9008861

I mgrow geranium in both sun and part shade gardens.
My JI's have had a struggle since I planted them with compost and it has taken me 3 years fo liquid feeding to bring them around.
This is Fractal Blue,you can see some of the yellow green leaves. I am hopeing for dark green this 4 th year.
Secong image is Ink On Ice

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9008889

So do the JI's not like compost? If not, why?
Thanks

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9008896

They like an acid soil.I think compost is too rich.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9008994

Thanks. All of mine have always been planted with our own compost and except for a very few that were skimpy on the roots when they first arrived, they all do well. I also give them manure, coffee grounds and I mulch with 3 to 4" of pine needles and I don't remove the mulch in winter.

This sentence is an excerpt from Ensata Gardens on the culture for JI's:
Soil Requirements: Japanese iris prefer a heavy, rich soil with ample organic matter, especially manure or peat.

They also state to buy divisions of two or three fans but I've had the best fortune buying from places like Eartheart Gardens http://www.eartheartgardens.com/ and Greywood Farms http://greywoodfarm.squarespace.com/abot-greywoodfarm/ each of whom send much larger divisions than merely two or three fans. The number at the right side of the yellow tags on the first photo below, from Greywood, shows the number of fans. I was VERY impressed.

Third image is a sampling from Greywood.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9009083

Thanks Pirl.I retract my info of course. Just not that experienced a gardener I guess.
Your compost and mulch info solves my guilt about how I planted my JI's. I have no idea why they have such yellow green leaves.Siberians do the same.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9009098

Could be chlorosis - lack of iron. You might want to try some liquid (easy to use) Ironite. Or you could write to a JI supplier and ask their opinion. Even the addition of iron won't cure pH issues, which could be the cause of yellowing of the leaves.

Just found this and it could be a possibility:

Japanese iris prefers a rich soil with ample organic matter to help in water retention as well as adding nutrients. The soil pH should be slightly acid (5.0 6.5). Attention must be given to the pH of your water, which can gradually raise the pH of your soil. An indication of too high pH is the gradual yellowing of the leaves. The addition of granular ferrous sulfate (iron sulfate) or agricultural sulfur can lower the soil pH. The preparation of your iris bed with compost or manure will be a good start for the JI bed, but do not use granular fertilizer until the plants are established. Leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, straw or sawdust are all good soil amendments.

Source: http://www.region18.com/nonbeardediris.htm#Japanese Iris

Hope it helps you, Jo Ann.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9009104

My rhodies got iron last year.I have a spray bottle and will use it this year.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9009122

Those links look amazing! thank you so much. I'm putting in 2 new perennial beds, both pretty huge, and I would love to have lots of SIs and JIs there. Possibly some bearded, too. I will place in order with one of these places. Deep purple and white ones are what I want.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9009166

Springcolor:
The difference between the Japanese Iris and the Siberian Iris is the Japanese Iris have really large blooms and the blooms are more "flat" vs the regular look of Iris. Siberian Iris bloom before Bearded Iris and are shorter--about 15 inches tall. Bearded Iris are much taller. The Japanese Iris bloom last. Bloom Time: Siberian Iris, Bearded Iris, Japanese Iris. The Japanese Iris' and Siberian Iris' leaves are more narrow and they don't have beards.

This is what I know about Iris. It is very limited. Others will be able to tell you more. Plus, they may correct my information which is fine.

I have not grown Japanese Iris but have ordered some to come this Spring. I appreciate the above information regarding growing them. I am starting to worry that I have ordered something that won't make it in my garden.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9009194

I use ironite every year on my bayberries, fothergillas and pagoda dogwood. Yes, dear Pirl it is very easy to apply. There is actually a type that you can connect to a garden hose! I have 14 bayberries five fothergilla and a big pagoda dogwood and it is so much easier than applying granules. I also give my oriental lilies a bit. I often wondered whether the fact that I was growing them in alkaline soil was holding them back, or even allowing them to die. I found a preferred the iron to the high nitrogen acid based Miracle Grow. I like to handle one problem at a time, and Ironite in liquid form really seems to do the job.

And thank you for the explanation about iris. Only one person who lived near me ever grew them. She inherited them and they rocked out every year with no help from her, so I couldn't learn anything from someone who shared my soil conditions. Steve Ft. Worth now Greenville often marveled that a peony and lily grower didn't grow iris (his were wonderful) but then he didn't grow roses and was as mystified by them as I was iris.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9009213

Kosk - the tall bearded irises wouldn't want the same conditions as the Sib's or JI's, which want the moist acid soil. Tall bearded prefer excellent drainage so I grow them on mounds or elevated areas and they do very well.

Birder is right on with her descriptions! JI's are also known as floating butterflies for their flat appearance but the breeze or wind makes them "float". Just plant them deep and enrich the planting hole with manure and compost. Then mulch and you'll be successful. They love water.

I use the Ironite liquid in a watering can and apply it that way but only as needed, which is very seldom.

You can imagine a breeze coming along by these JI's and see how they got their nickname.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

February 16, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9009383

Birder17 and Pirl
Thanks you for the info. Now I'm really interested. I have 2 iris with the long foliage and am thinking they are SI. Pirl your images are beautiful!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9009550

Just a small note: Siberians are tall ,they run the gammut
This is PennyWhistle over 30 inches
Guess my camera was dying at that point.The blooms are not that pink.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9009646

Thanks, springcolor.

Jo Ann is right - Siberian irises do range widely in height and some JI's are 48 to 60" but they are not the usual ones you'd find in catalogs. Each has its own beauty.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9009794

I love Gay Gallant
Its over 4 feet

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9009854

Lovely!

Prairie Glory grows 40" tall here by the bough of a magnolia on the left. The second photo shows it with the spent heads of alliums.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9010322

Maybe this should be an iris thread? Do they have an iris forum?
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

February 17, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9010404

Evelyn,
You have a beautiful garden will you show us some of your combos? I lost my pictures in my computer crash in Dec. and am living through everone elses pictures.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9010419

To get back on track for perennial combinations, I like JI's with astilbe and ferns.

Thumbnail by pirl

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

February 17, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9010592

Wow!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9010598

I lost all my photos off this one when I had to reimage it, even though it was not necessary...HP...GRRR!! I will have to retrieve the pix from the laptop. I thought I was saving the photos when I did a backup...that was useless. I don't need any more backups of HP stuff...Sorry for venting, but they really get me going. All I needed was a new modem. They did send me one and I actually installed it myself, with their instructions with pictures.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

February 17, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9010609

Oh, sorry to hear that. You are just about in the same place as me. We will enjoy everyone elses until we can take more this growing season.
Pirl, again beautiful!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9010798

Thanks, springcolor!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9020280

I like lilies with everything.These are White Henrii , Midnight and Echinacia Summer Sky
#2 Agastaches TuttiFruitty with Japanese Maple NOID

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9021480

You can have beautiful perennial combinations without any flowers at all!
Here is hakonechloa grass with a hosta.
And an asarum with heuchera.
The foliage makes a nice combination all summer long, not just when in bloom!

Thumbnail by Weerobin   Thumbnail by Weerobin

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9021485

Weerobin:Thats a very good point.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9022332

Pirl.. as usual a big wow!! The astilbe reminds me of aruncus, soo pretty. All your iris are so lovely, you must never tire of seeing them. How many months of bloom do you get?

Ge..all those lilies, must smell absolutely heavenly, I'm hoping to turn on my elec. fence this year so I can see what I have, lol. (they haven't bloomed in years, think the deer had eaten them for the last 3 years or so. Wow that japanese maple is soo full, gosh you think since they upped my zone to a 6 now I could grow, lol, not sure I trust them.

Weer..Gosh, I didn't know my hanoke grass could grow in shade, will have to remember that one, and in same pix, background, is that tiarella blooming? Nice patch. Haven't grown too much in the way of shade plants yet, not to that side of the house yet with new gardens. Now is nothing but a patch of weeds and a few shrubs. It's on the perennial list of things to get accomplished this year, fingers are crossed.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9022593

Kathy, the patch in the backgroud is heucherella Sunspot. It spreads by runners.
In this situation I'm OK with it - it's hard to tell from the picture, but the hill starts sloping down where the heucherellas are. So works nicely for erosion control. And some pretty flowers to boot. Here's another picture which shows the sloping perspective better.
The runners are easy to pull, so it's not much of a problem.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9022636

Weer...oh, you're naughty...how could you throw any plants away when you know the rest of us are just cringing at that thought. LOL. Want postage?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9022850

Beautiful scenery Warrior
dowdeswell
Wanganui
New Zealand

February 29, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9025264

This combination was sent to me from Ruda, in Colorado who grows our delphiniums. I love it. Something to look forward to again this summer.

Thumbnail by dowdeswell

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 29, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9025271

Beautiful! I love the Goldilocks Rudbeckias too...at least it looks like the ones I grew with that name.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9025550

That is gorgeous!!!!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9026166

Do all Heucherellas have the habit of stolons? Weerobin: very pretty pictures. I have shade areas here in SE Mo. that I need to figure out what kind of plants I should get. Your shade garden pics are always so pretty.
Kathy, I hadn't thought of an electric fence. I have read on various sights that are selling plants that some plants actually will ward off deer. Has anyone found this to be true?
ge: Love the Agastaches with the Japanese Maple. I have Berberis thunbergi 'Crimson Pygmy' (Barberry) encircling my Japanese Maple. I don't like it. It's difficult to weed around, and it just doesn't have much "bang". My husb. likes it. I want to put something pink with it and yank the Berberis out. I'd like to complement the maroon more than the Barberry does. It's all the same color.
Kathy, how does your Aruncus do for you? I have read you can never get all the roots out of the ground should you want to move it. Does it hold the soil? Do you grow it in full shade? Bright shade?
I have an area that is on a fairly steep slope and in bright shade. I'm trying to find something to put there before I have severe erosion. I am feeling a little panicky as the spring rains are just starting up.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9026372

Dowdeswell, your delphs are absolutely the best! I remember a local nursery trialling them many years ago, and they had fields of your gorgeous delphs from seeds. It was a sight to behold.

I've purchased some from Walters and just loved them.

Nice to have you on this site!

http://www.delphinium.co.nz/
dowdeswell
Wanganui
New Zealand

March 1, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9026395

Thank you Pollyk, both for the welcome and your comments about our delphs. I'm feeling my way here and interested to see how a New Zealander can fit into discussions. I like the friendly atmosphere.

Thumbnail by dowdeswell

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9026430

You'll fit in just fine. I know we have people from New Zealand here already, Gwhizz is from New Zealand an he's active on here and All Things Plants. He's mainly interested in lilies, and Terry Johnson is on here and All Things Plants and Cubits. Do you know of Terry?
dowdeswell
Wanganui
New Zealand

March 1, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9026489

No, don't know Terry. Username?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9026508

I'm not sure of his username. I'll try to find it. He writes the Heritage Iris Blog. Very nice man.

http://historiciris.blogspot.com/
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9026660

Dowdeswell

Welcome!

Such gorgeous flowers! Polly is right - you will fit here. We have others in our forums from all over the world.

dowdeswell
Wanganui
New Zealand

March 3, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9028844

Thanks for the welcome Carolyn. I found Terry Johnson's Iris blog Polly, thanks. He has a great image of crocosmia x crocosmiiflora (montbretia) which now grow wild on our roadsides - see http://www.historiciris.blogspot.co.nz/

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9029621

Dowdeswell...Welcome!!! All gardeners are welcomed here, isn't it amazing how small our little blue planet has become with the internet, just amazing. Do you have zones there? And if so whats yours? (lowest winter temp.; mine is z6, was a z (zone) 5 til this spring, anyway, my coldest winter temp is approx -20) It helps when talking about plants, atleast for me. I happen to live in Colo. and yes the delphs. can be quite spectacular. Love both pix, butttt that second pix is a real charmer. Right now I have to cage mine as the deer have found them delectable (*****, lol), and also for the winds here on the open prairie. I spotted (sorry), the grid system your using, great idea that I'll have to remember. Plese show us more of your garden, we love pix here!! Just ask me, lol.

Bird...Aruncus is new, just last fall so we shalll see how well it performs. Nope not in shade, but here at 6800ft., the altitude does allow for many plants to be grown in full sun. If it doesn't like it spot I will replant in pt. shade if necessary. Will post below some of the plants my deer leave alone.

Ge...Thanx ref. the photo. I can't take the credit for it as it belongs to my daughter and family. When I am sitting the g. kids, I use their photos. Figured living in such a beautiful state I should ejamacate ya all on the beauty here. Think our national anthem was written while the author was looking at Pike's Peak, just west of Colorado Springs.

Pix is Lilium formosa gown from seed obtained at Park Seed, 8", and oh soooo fragrant. The deer missed it cuz it's so short, yeahhhhh!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 12:43 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9029657

Bird...most of the plants my deer leave alone are: any gray leaved plants, any hairy leaved plants, they hate the texture. Most any herb type plant butttt their are exceptions (the deer might one year but not the next), they aren't suppose to eat lavendula but last summer I found they had munched on the flower stems. (grrr). In my garden: Santolina virens; Stachy's b.; Veronica spicata; Salvias (all varieties); Penstemons; Gypsophila...paniculata and repens; Ajuga; Dianthus (all varieties); Violas; Dracocephalum...Imberbe and moldavicum); Epalobium angustifolium; Liatris; Alcea (hollyhocks); Daisies; Anthemis tinctoria; Yarrows; Hanoke grass; Peonies; Iris; Verbascums; Centaureas; Centranthus; Geraniums (perennial); Caryopteris; Spiarea; Clematis shrub or vines; Gentians; Aster; Hesperis matronalis; Geum; Delphinium grandiflora (12"); Physostegias; Valariana officinalis; Philadelphus; Thermopsis montana; Papaver (annual and perennial); Passiflora carulea; Aurinia saxatilis; Anchusa; Linum (flax); Lupines; Dictamnous; Daucus carota; Campanulas; Humulus a. (hops); Antirrhinum (snaps); Malva; Ratibida c.; Knautia mascedonica; Rudbekias; Cosmos; Scabiosas; Catanche carulea; hemerocalis (daylilies, go figure, lol); and Osteospurmum (annual and perennial), speaking of which, how come more of you all out there don't grow this lovely?

Pix; Thermopsis
Pix: Centurea montana Amathyst in Snow
Pix: Dictamnous purpureas
Pix: Wild sunflower, daisie Becky, penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain Blue,unopened Catanche blue; Lavendula a. Munsted; Veronica spicata Sightseeing Blue; center Malva.
Pix; Gypsophila paniculata and Clematis Prince Charles

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9029902

Here's one of my favorite combos. It's Echinacea 'Pow Wow Wild Berry' and Agastache 'Golden Jubilee.' The color of the leaves on the Agastache really set off the blooms of the Echinacea nicely.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9030307

beautiful is right/
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9030652

Siberian iris and nepeta

Thumbnail by pollyk

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9030677

Iris Careless Sally and beautybush and barberry.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 11:52 AM

Thumbnail by pollyk

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9030948

Beautiful nepeta combo.
dowdeswell
Wanganui
New Zealand

March 5, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9031047

Kathy:

Yes we have zones but they are not particularly relevant to continental conditions as we have a very temperate, maritime climate. On average Wanganui gets about 8 ground frosts per year and rarely has an air frost. Absolute minimum is around minus 4degC (24F)in very sheltered places and it never freezes after mid morning.. Winter day maximum averages around 13degC (58F). Summers are cool being tempered by sea breezes and average daily maximums are around 22degC (73F) It rarely reached 30degC. Rainfall occurs whether we want it or not and we get about 35 inches spread relatively evenly throughout the year. Wanganui is a beautiful place full of gardens and smiling people.
My garden will be entered for the biggest eyesore competition this year as I have a stuffed back, which is due for remedial action this Thursday, but I'm happy to share some selected sanitised pics.
The images with colour are recent. The other two are winter images showing sections of our garden in the raw

There are more images on my garden blog -http://theupsidedowngarden.blogspot.co.nz/ these will give you a feel for the place but its not been updated for ages

Thumbnail by dowdeswell   Thumbnail by dowdeswell   Thumbnail by dowdeswell   Thumbnail by dowdeswell   Thumbnail by dowdeswell

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9031182

Just beautiful! Your name is Terry, also, is it not?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9031254

What a beautiful spot.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9031261

Iris China Spring, hosta lancifolia, spirea and bluebells. Look how that funky lily is growing in the back.

Thumbnail by pollyk

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9031266

Iris Little Tricolor and nepeta. I love nepeta, and am trying a new one this year, Little Titch.

Thumbnail by pollyk

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9031272

Just so special Polly
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9031280

Thanks, Jo.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9031322

Beautiful! You can't go wrong with Nepeta and Russian Sage. They are two plants that look good with anything. Lamb's Ear looks good with many plants as well. I like tough plants like these that are so easy to grow but look great in many settings. I do have to thin the Lamb's Ear out, but that's another thing I like about it...It's so easy to rip out and make more.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9031331

Thanks Clint!

If anyone has any photos of combos with nepeta, or recommendations about other cultivars of nepeta, I would love to see it.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9031391

Hi Polly---
I posted this pic of my front yard recently on another thread, so I'm sorry for the repeat for those who have seen it. My front yard is heavy on the Nepeta 'Walker's Low', so I thought I'd show it per your request. There are an equal number of groundcover roses mixed in, which hadn't yet started blooming when this pic was taken last year, early June. I like the "pairing" of my Nepeta with the yellow of the euonymus and the dark red barberry from a distance.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9031436

Just gorgeous, Thanks! That really shows the catmint to it's best. Nice and neat, and plenty of space. I love it!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9031701

dowdeswell...love your pix!!! wow that wisteria is gorgeous. All your scenes are great, gives me new ideas for pix this coming season. Thanks for sharing.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9031779

Kosk: That is just stunning.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9031984

Nepeta is so tough and easy to root. I got a dwarf one called 'Little Trudy.'
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9032093

Polly: the China Spring Iris is with bluebells and hosta. I thought you had to put iris in sun and bluebells and hosta in shade. I am learning stuff. It's very pretty.
Kathy: Thanks for listing your deer resistant plants. I do not recognize all of them. I will have to do some research. I have a real forest in my back yard and the deer are "right" there.
I really, really like nepeta also. I have not been using much of it as I feed back yard birds and the neighbors allow their cats to come into my yard. I hate to encourage the cats.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9032109

birder: There are hostas that can take some sun and lilies that can take part shade.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9032173

birder, the China Spring is in front of the hosta, and does get enough sun. That hosta takes a lot of sun, anyway.

My cat won't even touch the nepeta, catmint, although she loves te catnip kind.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9032223

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the Nepeta racemosa attracts cats at all. I think that's a myth. (of course the true source of catnip Nepeta cataria does however attract cats). My front yard (pic above) is teeming with birds at all times of the day. I've never seen a cat up there. And there are lots of cats around here. And I've never found a dead bird. And b/c of all of the different heights/densities of shrubbery, it is really quite full of birds.
dowdeswell
Wanganui
New Zealand

March 6, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9032471

What a beautiful garden. I love nepetia and perovskia too and stachys sure smells beautiful and provides a great background.

Yes Polly , I'm a Terry

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9032946

I had hours on my hands when I awoke at 4AM so I will list a bunch of fav. combos I searched for.Hope there are newer ones.
#1 Apocolipse and Trailing Burbandy coleus
#2 Black Dragon lily with coneflowers
#3 Coleus and Impatiens
#4 Ferns and epimediums
oops something is missing one has doubled

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9032948

More
#1 planter combo
#2 Coleus Sedona with Tiny Toes
#3DL Night Beacon with Lily Landini
#4 hydrangea Lemon Vave with Agastache Fortune
#5 Impatiens with Caladium White Queen

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9033261

How beautiful! They've given me some new ideas - thanks! Dax

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9033280

welcome
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9037012

Love to see pics--so pretty--plus you get ideas and learn new plant combinations.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9037100

some more.Hope there are no duplicates

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9037700

The last

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9043461

Pretty, pretty pics. On the fourth picture with the white poppies, I notice you have an edging. Can you tell me a little bit about this edging? What's it made of? Is it durable? Does it work pretty good as a barrier? How hard is it to mow around? I know, lots of questions. I need to get some kind of edging. I have been doing an "English" edge--but that's getting labor intense with so many garden to edge.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9043482

That edging was here when we bought the house. All landscaped areas have it and I have confined my gardens to comply.Its heavy plastic,I think any Lowes or HD has it. We put sone in but DD did it.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9044355

ge...love to see someone else growing veronica. One of my perennial favorites, I have Sightseeing blue at 28", and I still looking for veronicastrum virginicum which grows to 48+". Such a great plant.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9044564

Warrior!! Thats a beautiful blue. I have Royal Candles. Am I correct in thinking Veronicas have pointed cone shapped flowers and Sages dont?

Thumbnail by ge1836

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9046904

Both are candle type flowers, see pix.

pix veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue
pix Salvia nemerosa blue (actually is purple)
pix is a close up of salvia nemerosa only in the pink

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9046953

WOW Kathy those are special plants. I am adding the Spicata Sightseeing Blue to my wish list.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9048959

ge...not sure where sight seeing veronica is available. I got my seed more than 10 years ago from England (these are a tall variety at 28", regular spicata is 18-20"). Seems to me I saw the seed available from a catalog tho not sure which one. I believe I do have seed of the blue if interested, d-mail me.

Pix: hesperis matronalis
Pix: aquilegia
Pix: dianthus grationopolitanus or cheddar pinks, sooo very fragrant, sadly only aspring bloomer with some sporadic bloom later, tho might be because of altitude
Pix: centranthus ruber, geranium Rozzane, and goldem hops
Pix" Adenophora lilifolia, ladybells

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9050407

Oh, I have been looking at the Adenophora lilifolia but am afraid it will get to prolific. I have read it can be invasive. I love the flowers and think it would grow here with the heat and humidity--better than the campanulas, but I am quite reluctant to plant it due to its reputation of possibly being invasive. It is so pretty. I am curious to find out what experiences gardeners have had with this plant.
I have the Bath's pinks. It is about 4' x 3' and very thickly matted. Easy to get rid of if I wanted to. Yes, it's wonderfully fragrant.
The first pic is Hesperis matronalis Dame's Rocket, right? Again, one I would like to grow--but description sounds invasive. I believe Dame's Rocket is suppose to be quite fragrant also.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9050755

Ya, adenophora can travel, runners and also reseeds. They make a nice patch tho. And they are related to campanulas. I found it when I moved to a 'little house on the prairie', sorry for the pun but was true,lol. I happen to love it.
Yes, that pix is hesperis or sweet dames rocket or false phlox and as you can see does reseed rather prolithically, but I did allow it. And got scads of plants to share. If you do ever try it, just clip off the old blooms to deter the seeds, which also produces a bloom much shorter than the first (36-40" then 12"). They are wonderfully fragrant also!!!!! They are clumpers tho.

pix: Daucus carota, Queen Annes Lace, blooms at the same time as those above, very fragrant at 6-7ft.
pix: Valariana officinalis, blooms with the others and is also very fragrant. God I love spring...I must have about a hundred of these also but spread out along the border, hope I get a good show this year, my babies are 2 years old now or maybe 3, all from seed.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9051047

Birder, I think you might find adenophora too rambunctious for a formal garden bed, but it looks great in an informal setting and does it's own thing without requiring any care whatsoever. I planted it across the street from my place along highway frontage - looks great mingled with rudbeckias. They duke it out beautifully together.

Here's an accidental combination from my yard this spring.
I realize it's cheating, since both are shrubs, not perennials.
But I couldn't resist. This is a quince blooming with forsythia in the background.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9051053

Beautiful photo,great color.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9051701

My garden isn't "formal"--far from it! But, I do have limited space and have to be careful not to plant something that can take over. Thanks for your input, Wee. I think it's so pretty-but just don't think I can risk Andenophora lilifolia's energetic behavior.

I have planted some Nepeta nervosa seed from Swallowtail Seeds in a milk jug. I am counting on the cats to stay away! Not that I don't like cats--I do--but they sit right underneath my bird feeder on my deck.

Again, nice pics.

I also sowed some Lychnis chalcedonia (Maltese Cross). I think it's the closest thing I am going to get to Hesperis matronalis (Dame's Rocket).

Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9068660

beautiful quince!

I love Nepeta Walker's Low (and gorgeous front there, Kosk in Salem, OR - I'm from Portland)... but all the cats in my neighborhood did, too. They would roll in it and even sleep right on top of it ! It survived fine, but they were certainly attracted to it.

*been away for a few years, after a move - just back to Daves.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
2:14 AM

Post #9069074

Welcome back Red
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9069297

Welcome back, Red! Stop by and visit if you are ever en route back to PDX. That is interesting on the Nepeta Walker's Low. I'm starting to conclude that we just don't have very many cats around here after all!
Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9070741

Thank you ge !

Maybe the Nepeta is like catnip - some cats love it, others show no interest? We shall see, I just put some in my garden here - our cat and the neighbor cat (we call him Mr. Handsome, because of his fancy grey tuxedo) spend hours bird watching back there... wonder if they find it.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9071411

Well, I have a bunch of Nepeta nervosa 'Blue Carpet' that germinated and is "supposed" to have less scent and not attractive to cats. I will watch this experiment and perhaps post a thread on DG about the results.
I really like the plant and sure hope it will work for me.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9071534

I have a new nepeta S.Schondone.Its spreading everywhere. I will see if I keep it. I would love to give it instructions to just go down the slope and not sideways to the lilies.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9074060

Saxifraga 'Highlander red', muscari, tulip, gentiana acaulis, violas, allium.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9074293

Bulb combo

Thumbnail by kosk0025

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9081145

Rudbeckia and Blackberry lily.

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9081153

Hosta and Magic lilies

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9081171

Lily and Lorraine Sunshine
Dahlia and Pineapple Lily

Thumbnail by jmorth   Thumbnail by jmorth

Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9081202

gorgeous combos jmorth ! such fabulous contrast.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #9081801

I cant get Loraine Sunshine to grow here. Slugs eat it to the stem.Beautful pix jmorth.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9094914

A combo I like:

Athyrium felix femina and Thalictrum aquilegfolium 'Sparkler'.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9095397

The nepeta the cats go after (catnip) is Nepeta cataria, the others are not as strong. Cataria get to 48". My kitty was keeping an eye on it today while we were in the garden, lol. (only about 4-6" now)

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9095442

Your violas are so pretty Kathy. Are they flowering now?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9097961

Yes Carolyn, they are, will get some new pix as they have really filled in this year and spreading thru the border. Just love their cheerful little faces!!! Was thinking of doing it today but the weeds wouldn't let me, lol. Attempting to get the main border weeded so I can see what kind of room I have, wanna start some annuals. Thinking some tall zinnias and...
kathy.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9128943

jmorth wrote:Rudbeckia and Blackberry lily.

Love this combination j, what kind of Rudbeckias are they?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2012
1:18 AM

Post #9129206

Iris and allium

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9129287

Beautiful Iris ge! Coneflowers and Rudbeckia.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9129322

lovely Virgina rose
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9130132

Hey guys. I love this thread. It is getting really long. Do you think we should close this one and start another thread? I don't know how to do it and maybe it's okay as it is.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #9130176

Birder!! some threads get to over 200-300. Dont panic. It looks like a new one will come pretty soon.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9130208

If you have an older computer it might be a problem because it takes longer to load. I have known people who avoid the longer threads for that reason.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9130335

Having read this, please join part two here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259378/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America