Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Herbs: Freezing herbs?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 4, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7993494

Anyone had experience with this. I've read various methods and am going with simple-wimple on my cilantro -- just stuffing the leaves in a snack baggie, rolling it up, and putting a rubber band around it. Some resources say to blanch first. I didn't even wash it - I don't use any chemicals and checked for bugs as I pulled the leaves off. Thinking of doing the same for parsley and perhaps some other tenders. Another thought is to try to bring some of the tenders in as houseplants over winter.
cerridwenn
Farmington, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7995107

just putting them in a bag is fine as long as you use them within a few months. if they stay longer than that they get freezer burn and lose all their flavor and medicinal value. to extend the freezer life someone on another thread suggesting adding a little olive oil to cover them and that helps preserve the flavor, but i guess that would only work if you were going to use the herbs in olive oil when you take them out.

another idea that might work is to put the fresh herbs in canning jars to freeze them, seems like that might keep out the freezer burn for longer than a ziplock does, but i haven't tried it because it just occurred to me that it might work.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7995898

I think oil helps preserve the complex flavors of herbs when you freeze them. Doesn't have to be olive oil... if you're freezing cilantro for mexican cooking, by all means use corn oil or something really neutral like safflower. I usually mince herbs in the food processor, add oil, and freeze in ice cube trays. :-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7995994

Will dried herbs store well in the freezer?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7996097

I've kept bulk bags of commercial dried herbs in the freezer, taking out enough at a time to refill my spice containers (you don't want to take them in and out and in and out of the freezer, as that will just introduce moisture). I think it keeps them fresh longer, but I'd still vote for the flavor of fresh frozen rather than dried. :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America