Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Accessible Gardening Thread #12 (Compassion for...)

Communities > Forums > Accessible Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Accessible GardeningReplies: 188, Views: 757
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 24, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7993895

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101129/
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7994227

Hello Sarge Made It Woo Hoo

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 24, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7994279

Hi Sarge!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7994397

Hooray for new thread! I used to spit blue words at that thought as a seamstress! Threading the machine or worse...filling and threading the bobbin ya know! ^_^
Thank you!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 24, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7994536

I HATED threading the bobbin. Probably why my sewing machine has been in the closet for 10 years. :-)
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7995162

LOL it has been so hot outside I had decided that I would make some new curtains for the for the youngens rooms , the living room , and our room . now I know most of you are rolling on the floor by now but Old Sarge is Pretty Dagum Good with a thread and needle let me tell ya.

However, that donít mean nothing when it comes to gitten out the old Brother Sewing machine we got a few years back , no instructions , just a friend gave it to us and good Lord knows I had forgot what way the bobbin wound up, went in , and the fuffy stuff had took up a home on the bobbin hole so the thing would knot up and brake as fast as it did to set it up .

Now Ol Sarge Donít Have Mush Hair to start with so now I donít have that much for sure now . I finally Called my neighbor and she come over Bless her Heart Miss Kathy (68 yr) sat down and dismantled the thing and cleaned the thing from one end to the other. Oiled what needed to be oiled and I helped so I would know how to do it the next time and learned how to do the bobbin too : >0 .

Then come time to thread the machine she did it . ; > ) I was happy , Ms. Kathy even sewed with it & it made the prettiest stitches on the scraps you ever did see. Then she pulled the thread out and said ok now you thread it !

Man was I shocked LOL but I did git back in there and Right the first time but I had to use the MAG GLASS the thread the needle . The machine works Awesome and I have fixed all kinds of things here in the last few days.

Sarge

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7995398

Man, I used to be an ACE, a WHIZ with a sewing machine. I sewed a lot, nearly all in fact, of my own clothes, and some of my boyfriend's clothes too. I could thread my machine, I could make buttonholes and zippers and piping and interfacing and all that stuff I once thought was hard. The saddest day in my life was when I figured out I could no longer control the pressure foot accurately. Well, there are a lot of other sad days too and more happy ones, thank goodness. I once made a linen suit for myself! It would still fit, too, if I ever wore skirts.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7996684

Carrie, Kudos to you on the sewing. A linen suit, Don't think i'm brave enough to try linen. Have you thought about finding a pair of pants that would go with the jacket? I made a lot of my girls clothes when they were little.Curtains and bedspreads,all kinds of kitchen odds and ends,bags,sacks and Christmas ornaments.There were times when i could'nt afford it unless i made it. I've still got alot of material in my work shop. Just don't have anything i want at the moment.Reckon i could make a patchwork tent? It could really be colorful, hee,hee hee!
Sarge, I had no trouble beleiving you can sew. I've known several Army men who learned to sew some because they had to repair uniforms overseas and could'nt afford to have it done. I'd feed them, give them a place to stay overnight if they missed the bus to base. Listen to sad tales of woe, give medical advise. But no way would i sew.DH had to beg,plead,and threaten before i'd touch his uniforms.
Vickie

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 8:30 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7996734

Oh, I don't even know what happened to it. That was my old life, Vickie. I should add that it was a linen blend, not straight linen, but everything was lined and hemmed and there were shoulder pads exactly where they were supposed to be (not like today where they'll tack one corner on and call that "in").
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7996813

Vickie,

I was Single and had a young girl to take care of all by myself , during the years of 18 months to 9 years old. (Her Moma had passed) so I had to be handy with the thread and needle for mending things that needed mending . but a machine was a diffrent ball game for me . LOL

(The Oldest is now 13 years old now & doing Quite well Ol Sarge did Good I Recon in those years alone She has a Good Haead on her Shoulders.)

Sarge
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 27, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #8000498

Even Kay isnít sticking her nose outside today. Heat index of 112 and 82% humidity.
Sarge, glad to encounter another Renaissance Man. Lol. The only sewing machine in the house belongs to me. My mother sewed custom drapes for Sears when I was a kid. She demanded my two brothers and I at learn simple mending at the very least. I was fascinated by the way the sewing machine worked as a kid so I learned a little more than the basics. Iíve always been grateful she took the time to teach me. Especially, when I bought my first house and learned how expensive curtains and drapes could be.
Katie, are plumeria leaves SUPPOSED to be a light shade of green or are we not giving them something they need? Our little plumeria seems healthy, but it is a yellowish green in color. This is our first year growing them.
Sheri, Iím trying to decide what plants would be best in your fall package from Amargia. Can caladium bulbs be left in the ground during winter there? I will find something less labor intensive if they have to be dug up. Just knowing you are in NC doesnít tell me much. Iíve read the state is broken up into 4 or 5 different climate zones. Lol. It seems to depend a little on who is doing the counting. But, there is definitely a lot of climate variation in the state.
Vickie, do you still have any Egyptian (walking) onions available? If so, can we negotiate a trade? (Jim)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 27, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8000597

Jim, probably best to ask at the plumeria forum. I think mine do OK mostly cause of being in the right climate. And cause i wont' let the dogs play with them even when they look like sticks.

I think a mouse is living in my kitchen. The two bigger dogs have helpfully cleared teh shelves where they think it might be. Anyooe want a helpful dog?

It's very hot here, too. Tony and I were both fading. I told him to leave early if he wanted to. He did. One of the best thinks about being his "boss" is that I can trust him. He's more inclined to wwork until he drops so I go the route of pushing him to take it easier, rather than work harder. Makes it a pleasant work environment for both of us.

While we droop, the epis are growing like weeds. My outdoor plant room is like a jungle. Tony fixed the solid wall with a chicken wire cover so my epis can grow up there.

Tony also poured a concret "surprise" and then took my advice and went home a little early, thanking me. He thinks I'm great, I'm appalled that other employers have never been concerned about heat stroke. This weather can kill people.

I've got the fan blowing on me while I play poker. And drink iced tea.

The good life.

hugs all around, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8002817

Katie - who r you playin poker with?
Jim- I am technically 7a, but have a Gardenia shrub that blooms each year (supposedly zone 8). I'm sure it does ok cause it is right near the house on the Southern side & protected by a huge Holly beside it. I do know that Caladiums won't overwinter here though. I would love some more of those pink flowered shamrocks. I just love them and only about 1/2 survived. Guess they arn't meant for this hot sun. The ones that did well are closer to or in shade.
Hi to everyone. ~ing @ ya!
Hugs all around,
Sheri & Elvis, Dogwood, Sara & Marly
^_^

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #8003114

OK. Big sigh. DD #1 was ARRESTED for underage drinking (she's 19) and another charge which in MA would be a misdemeanor but in AZ where she lives is automatically a felony. Of course, they don't want a bunch of kids walking around with felony records so they usually drop the charges if they go to AA for a certain length of time. She's very afraid, which is probably a good thing. For a year now she's been saying well I would see a therapist there just aren't any in this town. Well, once she asked me to help it took me 10 min with google to find two suitable people who both called me back that day and I chose one and was able to make an appt. for tomorrow. Mom saves the day. I gave her two checks made out to the therapist. "Mom, you can just pt the money in my account, I'm not gonna spend it on anything else!" I don't trust her as far as I can spit, and I can't spit far at all.

Needless to say, this piece of news has to stay on this forum.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 12:48 PM
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8003138

Carrie,

Get Her Mom , Some Times Tough Love is the Best Love . and the worst Whoppen you could ever Give a youngen too . we will Keep you and Her in our Prayers Hun it's going to be a battle but the Good Lord can help you Win that one easy .

Sarge

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #8003379

Thanks, Sarge. I already feel about 10 years older than I did last week!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #8003407

I know the feeling it can wear you out fast and seems like you dont know what too do some times you wish you could just wring their neck for the silly things they do . then you wonder what you did wrong . but in reality you did all the right things and they have made their choices some thime you have to let them learn from their mistakes . it is hard to do.

trust me I know but if you bail them out all the time it will never stop because they know Mom & Dad will Bail them out . Yes it will hurt and you have to chose the right time to do it to set them on their Butt and make them think . However stick to your guns when you do it and you will see a huge diffrence in the Growth and development in the youngen the next time the do something .

Sarge

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 10:00 AM

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8004176

I don't understand the concept of putting a "secret" on the internet for all to see...but then, perhaps I am missing something here.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #8004566

It's not a "secret," Sheri, but I'm not telling everyone-I-know in a public forum. It's not, for instance, in my profile as a writer. Anyone who cares enough about me to track me to this forum is welcome to know. But if you bump into me elsewhere, I wouldn't expect you to say "hey, Carrie, how's your writing career going now that your daughter's legal fees are more than the $50 a month can cover?" I mean, I know you wouldn't, but I don't know why I had to say it. I'm afraid she'll go on FaceBook and say "bummer, I got arrested and now my parents know, too." Those stories NEVER GO AWAY. Here I feel safer, because I love you guys, and I didn't know where else to turn. I mean you're right, but I'm hoping that this forum is out-of-the-way enough that nobody will bother to look me up. I guess I'll never be a Supreme Court Justice now - that and the absence of a law degree. I guess all anybody would have to do is look me up under "my info" and 'recent posts' and "bing-bing-bing-bing" alarms would go off. Maybe I should edit my post. Sheri, it's the getting arrested part that has me horrified, but you're probably right.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 12:50 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 29, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8004747

Carrie, you have to have some place that you feel safe enough and comfortable enough to talk about it. This one, qualifies. :-) Yes, a determined person can find it, but you are right that it won't be like posting on Facebook or Twitter or the front page of the newspaper.

Debra
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 29, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8004932

Amen! Sarge.
I think anyone born post-1960ís who hasnít experimented with drugs would be rare enough to be a news story. And, Kay laughs at my idea that the drug culture began then. She says the late 60ís is just when people started talking about drug use openly without all the weird metaphors. That drug use among young people is a problem hasnít been a secret for more than 40 years. We need to shine the light into lifeís darker corners sometimes.
When someone once criticized Kay for her honesty and openness about things she has been thru. Our minister defended Kayís way saying, ďI would rather deal with someone who has visible scars they donít try to hide. Then, to deal with someone who has festering wounds they try to keep covered. A wound that heals while exposed to fresh air and light is healed for good and always. Wounds that heal hidden in the dark tend to heal only on the surface and fester deep in.Ē I believe he is right. As a relatively new guardian/godfather/step-father, I can tell you that a child gone astray is like taking a wound for a parent.
Iíll check out the plumeria thread, Katiebear. I know what you mean. When people in other parts of the country ask about growing cannas Iím always at a loss about what to tell them. Here you just stick them in the ground and get out of their way. Lol. (Jim)
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8004978

LOL Same Here Jim Same Here .

Sarge

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #8005102

Hey Carrie, I wasn't trying to be smart toward you. I just thought of that, so wrote it. Sorry if any offense. ^_^

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8005253

Dang, replied, computer ate it. Good will to all and peace on earth.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8005427

I usually eat near mine. The aromas & occasional splaters keep her cool & satisfied! ^_^
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #8005768

Gee, I'm a slob when eating. I don't allow food or drink in the computer room. Did i tell you i'm the proud owner of a new laptop. I have'nt used it yet as i'm waiting to see someone look over my sholdier when i do so i don't press the button that erases the whole WWW.
Carrie I know what you're going thru. I'm going to share something i wish you'd share with your DD. I had'nt heard anything about my DD in Texas all last week. I asked my other DD this morning if she had heard anything. They were'nt going to tell me but DD#1 and her husband had gone to "The Boats" (gambling) Her husband got mad at her and left her alongside the road,75 miles from home,She was very drunk. She walked about half way home and was found under an overpass and taken to the hospital badly dehydrated. The next day her husband picked her up.No one has heard from her in 4 days. I'm not physically able to go down there right now but tomorrow i'll be calling all the law inforcement people down there to find her. Your DD has sense enough not to end up like that. BTW This daughter was salutatorun of her class in HS, class president,school favorite,editor of annual staff. Had a small scholarship to Notre Dame for Volley Ball. And now she appears to be missing, and theres not a blasted thing i can do but pray for her. I ought to be down there looking for her and take a gun and do some Texas Justice. And see how fast her DH and her son can dance with bullets aimed at their feet.
On the happy side DD and i found a few rocks for Kay yesterday. Than last nite i made a rock totem. I saw one in a mag. and could'nt stand it and had to make one.How many totems do you want Kay?
I THINK EVERYONE NEEDS A ROCK TOTEM.
Don't know about drug abuse in the 60,s but in the 50,s it was alcohol and a big problem. In the 70,s it was marajuna(SP)
Everyone stay safe tonight. I'll try to keep everyone updated tomorrow.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8006688

That's good to hear Vickie, well, no, not good to hear but sweet of you to share. Her new shrink ($100/hr out of my pocket which doesn't have much left in it) thinks she is bipola Whr. She has sucked her in too, now that I think about it. If she were bipolar, could she fake being a nice sweet sober college student when she's home and punch her bf in the face when she's drunk? I don't know, but I thought that type of mental illness was more uncontrollable. Who knows? Not I.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #8007863

Vickie, prayers for your DD and you.
I still tend to think of cannabis as old peopleís medicine because that was my first impression. Elderly people in the Everglades, people so old they still spoke the old tongue among themselves, would smoke it to ease their aches and pains before bedtime and to treat certain eye conditions. I was in my 20ís before I saw for myself it had an underside, used by younger people for recreation. It wasnít until the late 1930ís that it was made illegal in this part of the country. And, some places were slower than others to take the law seriously. I believe it was made illegal in Arkansas and other western states earlier than that. My mother always said she thought it would be like Prohibition and eventually the law would be repealed. After all, it was just hemp. I mean, there was a law in Virginia during colonial times that all farmers HAD to grow a certain amount of Indian hemp. Turning over your hemp harvest was how you paid your state taxes. Now, if there is cannabis growing on your property, they confiscate your land and throw you in jail on manufacturing charges. Just like if you were running a Meth lab. The times they have aíchanged. Farmers now walk their land to be sure none is growing as a weed so they donít lose their land.
A totem pole? LOL.
Iíve got a talking book especially geared to older people getting their first computer. Iíll see if I can find it and send it your way.
Hugs, Carrie. Count it as a blessing if she is willing to enter treatment. My eldest is still convinced that it is the rest of us that have a problem and she is fine. I actually DID read post on Facebook to keep track of her. My other daughters decided it was masochistic for me to do that so they keep an eye on her and tell me what they think I need to know. Until she decides she needs help, there is nothing I can do. State law here doesnít allow you to commit a person to a treatment facility against their will. By the time they become a danger to themselves and/or others, it isnít a decent alcohol/drug treatment facility they are committed to. I havenít checked the laws in CA, where she is now, but I imagine they are even more liberal than here. I guess the law has to be that way to protect the rights of vulnerable individuals and prevent abuses, but it is rough on parents. The fact that the ďchildĒ is approaching middle age doesnít seem to make much of a difference.
Note: People with deep roots in the Everglades once spoke a language peculiar to them rather like Creole. It is dead and all but forgotten now. They say at FSU it was a strange combination of five different languages. I just realized when I proofread that is probably very local Knowledge. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8008583

Luckily - or not - my child is *approaching* adulthood, and seeks to quell her raging inner demons by drinking etc. too much. Better to DEAL WITH said demons, don't you think? She used to draw pictures, at age 5, with her arms outstretched, me on one end, her father on the other I always thought she was trying to keep us from fighting, DH (step-father) thinks she was trying to keep us together. I'll let the shrink figure it out. Thank God I was granted a "cruel and abusive" divorce which was effective in 3 months. Why oh why he was given all this crazy visitation which he rarely used but I had to have the kids ready for just in case. It was horrible for the kids - less horrible than being beaten up regularly (themselves or me), but still, not optimal. But it's weird that she has repressed all these memories!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 31, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8008624

There are those who compare growing up in an abusive (usually alchohol related) environment to being a holocaust survivor. My father was a "nice guy" respectable lawyer who just had violent screaming rages every so often - always at home and we kept it secret, not even discussing it amongst ourselves. The elephant in the livings room, as they say. I'm almost seventy and have been sober almost twenty-five years. I still have "harballs" - the experience when some old childhood memory pops into the forefront of my mind as if it had just happened.

By the way, Ca. laws require that a person be a danger to themselves or others, also. Reminds me of a case I had as a new child welfare worker. But that's another story.

hugs all around,
katie

P.S. I've been in a lot of pain so not posting much. I am here.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 31, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8008640

Carrie, agree that demons should be brought out into the open and 'slain with swords of purifying fire.' Some people, consciously or not, think the pain from acknowledgment will be worse than the pain of repression, that there is no bottom to the hurt so they keep it buried. For me and my siblings, the getting ready for visitations that never happened kept hope going Daddy would come back and everything would be all right. When he did, it turned out to be the worst thing for all of us, but kids do have 'magical' beliefs. In that light, I think your DH's interpretation is probably correct. Repression is fairly common for kids under traumatic stress--I can't remember most of my childhood or teenage years. Was one of those "if-I-don't-face-it-it-isn't-there" people. Stayed away from drugs because they scared me, but, boy did I drink. And smoke. And eat. And sleep. My escapes of choice.

I am so sorry this is happening. You know we are here to listen when you need it...

Debra
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8008663

I'll agree with Debra sometimes it is nice just to know you can talk to others and hear that you are not the only one that has been or is dealing with a personal issue and folks on here that might be in the same situation or can offer some words of encouragement to you are worth the chat.

There are Many Social groups that are based on Friends 4 Friends Support.

Sarge
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 31, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #8009501

When I was about 11, I started wearing my hair long. Kayís dad took one look at me when I came for a summer visit and said, ďBoy, that hair makes you look like rope smokiní, tug trash. Cut it, if you expect to be aboard one of my boats.Ē One of Kayís cousins finally explained to me what ďrope smokiní, tug trashĒ meant. I think that was when I first learned about marijuana. Coming from a Pennsylvania Dutch enclave I was more than a little naive. Lol. I made up for lost time though when I went to high school in York. But, honestly, I donít think I got as wild as some of the Amish boys during ďrumspringaĒ. That is a time when some sects allow older teenagers to experience the outside world without repercussions so they can make an informed adult decision about their baptism and staying with the community. Funny thing is I donít remember any that chose to leave the community. It was like after a certain amount of decadence; they burned out and found it boring. That leads me to believe the early moral training you give your child will usually click back into place eventually. Kayís eldest has always been rebellious. She thinks because her IQ is at genius level she is smarter than everyone else. You canít teach anyone anything, if they already think they know everything. Kay tried putting her in therapy, but one psycho-therapist told her she was just wasting her money and his time. Evidently, you have to get to a certain stage or frame of mind before therapy will work.
Vickie, I donít know if we will be able to make the trip exactly the way we planned it. One of Kay's brothers is talking about just flying their sister here. But, Iím still going to try to get up there and burn some marshmallows with you in Oct. And, if your up to it, we can drive down to MS and see if we can get ourselves a free catfish supper. Think Scraps would make us work for our supper? Kay says she is willing to do our share of the work, but we have to give her our share of any hushpuppies we are served. Woman is a hushpuppy fiend! BTW: Has anyone heard from Steph? I imagine the heat is really bad there too.
Carrie, they told us at the hospital when we were trying to get help for J. that the meds and stuff would not control her bipolar disorder while she was still drinking and drugging so donít let your DD put the cart in front of the horse. (Jim)

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 31, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8009515

Amen to what Jim just said about putting the cart before the horse. For anything else (including talk therapy) to work, the drinking must stop.

katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 31, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8009675

This just reminded me of something funny that happened about twenty years ago when my parents and my older sister Mary were alive I was in Ca.; they were all in Michigan so our contacts were by phone. Over a period of several weeks both parents kept telling me how Mary had been diagnosed as bipolar and was now taking lithium and it was all so wonderful. Ok, I thought. Then one day my mother mentioned, almost as an aside that Mary had quit drinking alchohol.. I said that was probably a good thing as she'd maybe had a problem with it. Well, yes, my mother continued casually, Mary had been diagnosed as bipolar while in treatment at Hazeldon. Hazeldon is, for those of you not in the know, a famous center for the treatment of alchoholism.

My father was an alchohic; my younger sister was an alchoholic with behavior problems with it that were enough to allow my parents to have her committed. I had been in AA for several years. Never underestimate the power of denial. In a conversation a few weeks later my mother was twittering abou how "those people" were telling Mary she should "go to all these meetings and she just doesn't have time for that." At that point I spoke up and told my mother that it was a life or death issue and she should stay out of it.

I cannot believe some of the memories that this topic is bringing up for me. aarrgg - hairballs.

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 31, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #8009802

Katie, I love that expression--"hairballs." Do you mind if I borrow it to use for myself?

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8009887

Jim,LOL The long hair and bell bottoms were in durig my DD,s teenage years. My doctor(who also went to my church) and i had some good discussions over the years. I usually lost,but one i won. He was totally against his son wearing long hair. I pointed out that all pictures of Jesus, shown Him with long hair. He did'nt argue but he did'nt change his mind either.
I'm also sure i have some totally unreasonable beleifs i have no intentions of giveing up. LOL
Both my DD,s are having serious troubles right now.
The oldest was left beside the road by her DH. She was drunk. She apparently walked about 30 miles and collapsed at an overpass. Some one called an ambulance but she refused treatment.and they left. when i was an EMT in Texas, When we thought there was serious trouble, If the person passed out we had implied concent. We'd sit there and wait awhile. I guess people are not as kind anymore. She is back home and wants to leave her husband and son and come up here. But she wont leave without her pickup and they wont let her have it. My nephew and I will chip in and give her the gas someway. but not untill she,s on her way. The other DD,s boyfriend got drunk and drove off a sharp curve into a canion (about 180 feet.) He totaled DD,s pickup but he was'nt hurt. He was too drunk to stiffen up. I've seen it before. She had just spent a bunch of money making it drivable. Now she has no car and no way of getting one. And her BF is in jail and since it is his 4th offence He'll be spending a year in prison.
I feel very sorry for her but i've no intention of helping in anyway. I still just want out of Dodge. She can sell HER land. I probably sound unfeeling but there has been too much against me in too short a time. For my sanity i need to get out. I've been packing and have cancelled my propane, the tank is empty. I wish i could hang around till October. I will keep you up to date where i am(Thanks to Debra)I wont be far away and can come back for awhile cause i want to get rid of all my flowers as no one would take care of them here. I also plan on having a yard sale here. Right now i've got boxes everywhere and of course cannot find anything even tho they are semi sorted.I really want you to come. The condo will not be touched.
Hey Jim and Kay, I can make hushpuppies. It's a requirement in my family, along with homemade bisquits and gravy, pinto beans and cornbread,and homemade butterscotch pie. Are we southern or what?!!!!
Carrie, Try to keep your DD in line if possible.Tho i sure don't know how.
Also Bi-polar disease. One is never happy. They go from extreme highs in that they are super hyper and will do extreme things like going out and buying any and everything they can get their hands on in other words extreme pleasure, but it does'nt make them happy. at the other extreme they get so depressed they could harm themselves. They can be helped drinking or not. The problem is it takes a long hospital stay and intensive therepy. The goverment nor insurance will pay for long intensive hospital care.NOT IN THIS COUNTRY. I was lucky to have had all the depression therapy before it got so expensive.Now they more or less babysit you and give you a place to stay without any stesses. They used to give you written tests(took a whole day to complete) that would pinpoint your disease.From what you said i doubt she has Bipolar disease
I have'nt heard fom Steph either. I'll call her tomorrow.
Have a good night all, I plan to.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 31, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8009891

Help yourself. It seems a perfect description for those memories that pop up and leave us gagging.

katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #8009898

LOL...Hairballs...sure is a good description of getting deep into the nitty gritty or rather ushy mushy of the past...Uck!

Hugs all around,
Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 31, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8009913

Hang tough, Vickie. You are doing the right thing with both your daughters. It's clear that it is not easy for you and you would be one sick mother if it was. Sounds like you are doing what is the best thing for you and that is the best thing you can do for your daughters - show them a person who can and does take care of herself. Keep putting yourself first. Seems very unmotherly at times but it's the right thing to do.

hugs,
katie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #8009918

Yeah, I like it too. It describes the experience of dredging up such memories so perfectly. :-)Kay*

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #8010030

Hushpuppies!!! We are talking serious comfort food. All those foods are comfort food to me. I haven't had real hushpuppies since my mother died. Just the ones out of the freezer at the grocery store. I know I'm too old for you to adopt, Vickie. But, can I be your little sister? I'm youngest in a family of 8. I do little sister very well. I've had lots of little sister experience.
Your wanna-be sister in hushpuppies and pinto beans,
Kay*
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 1, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8010667

I'd be wary of that offer, Vickie. Her elder siblings all call her "the brat". (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 1, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #8010761

Well, in a family that size SOMEBODY gets to be the brat. The brat gets all the good stuff, so it SHOULD be Kay, right? LOL

I'm the oldest of four and my brother was the brat. He got all the extra attention and cool toys (I'm STILL mad about that bike...)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 1, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8011934

glitch

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 7:09 PM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #8011958

Being an old ďbaby sisterĒ has its challenges. That sibling rivalry stuff doesnít ever go away completely. Even though a
ll of us are gray haired. (Well, we would all be gray haired if all of us had hair and, those who do, ALLOWED it to remain gray. LOL.) STILL, I hear about how easy I had it as a kid. I still have to listen to those stories about how tough things were in AR or OK, when Dad was still in the Army. How much stricter Mom and Dad were when they were growing up and how I was ďspoiled rotten.Ē (Those stories that always end ďYou donít know how lucky you had it, Brat!Ē Alright already! I got it! In fact, I got it 50 years ago. LOL. But, they still feel some need to remind me how easy I had it. Being a good little sister though, I listen to the stories like I havenít heard them a thousand times and assure them I indeed appreciate how much more difficult their childhoods were.. I do owe them. After all, it was they who wore Mom and Dad down. My parents were just plain exhausted by the time I came along. So, of course, I got away with more.
Once in a while, I do whine about how often I ended up with their hand-me-downs, instead of new stuff. I was 10 or so when I got my first new bike. Up til then I had just gotten the old bike someone had outgrown. But, all-in-all, I think I fill the role of little sister admirably. The baby of the family is supposed to be a brat. It is one of the job requirements.
Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 1, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8011961

absolutely, kay!! :-D

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8011990

I am the bossy oldest and I'm bossing myself right into BED!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8013016

OK. I think, at this point, DD#1, at 19 yo, is an alcoholic. Drink + ADD + her age + bipolar as expressed at her age seems actually plausible. Got to do more research and talk to my therapist.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 2, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #8013444

While you're at it, do something just for you.

Glad you have a therapist to talk to. That can be invaluable.

I will mention that one problem I've had with AA is the number of people who take the stance that if you do it "right" you will never have real trouble with a problem, no matter what. Not true. You are doing the best things - talking here and talking to your therapist.

Now throw in a treat that's just for you.

hugs all around, katie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #8015668

At that age, Carrie, there is a real possibility that she will grow out of some of the problems. Nadine, at 23, talks of "joining the adult conspiracy." :-)
Jim's civilian doctor overruled the VA doctor and put him back on the muscle relaxers. He has been experiencing pain between the shoulder blades and numbness in one arm. The hope is he just slept on it wrong or something and the constant tension in the muscles isn't letting things slide back into place. We'll know after the Dr. reads the x-rays. Kay*
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 3, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #8016455

I just remembered another "hairball." This is a funny one.

Talking in an AA meeting, a thirtish man I knew said that he was ina DUI "class" and the instructor said if you had one DUI you might very well be an alchoholic. If you had two or more, you almost surely were. The man said he and his friends looked at each other and said, "Noooo. No way." He told this story in an AA meeting. At some point he had come to accept that he was an alchohholic but it took more than three DUI's/

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #8016918

lol, I think. That's a furry one - catches in my throat.

I hope Nadine AND my DD join the "adult conspiracy!" I mean,, aside from Peter Pan, we all age eventually. Might as well be conspiring for good instead of conspiring with the enemy.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #8021762

Some people have to know...What is the adult Conspiracy? Or do i want to know? LOL
DD's BF is currently in jail on his fourth.But he is not an alcoholic! yeah! right!
Carrie, Did you have a hair ball? I heard a little vaseline will cure it. ROFLOL
My black Kitty kat asked for everyone to remember her on Halloween. She'll be hiding under a pillow.
Bigtime prayers going out for Jim. Lots of good wishes too. Of course for you too Kay. You gotta live with him. (just kidding)
Vickie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 6, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #8022562

Lol. Kay has started calling me Grump-pa even when the GCís arenít around. Iíve considered pointing out how much older she is than I am and asking something like, ďIf I am Grump-pa, what does that make you?Ē But, I like my massages and she is the source of them so I thought maybe that wouldnít be such a good idea.
Bone spurs have started developing on C5-C6, but the 750 mg of Methocarbamol is helping. Not much the doc can do, but I have no doubt my dearly beloved will get me to choke down some sort of alternative medicine. Liquefied shark cartilage, or something. :-0 She makes me pay for my grumbling.
I thought the adult conspiracy was not telling children where babies come from, but evidently there is more to it than that. I told Nadi all about the stork when she was 18 so she knows she wasnít found under a cabbage. Iím beginning to suspect there is stuff I havenít been let in on yet. Iíll pass it on to you as soon as I find out myself. (Jim)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 6, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8022677

Our weather has been almost unbearably hot and humid. Tony and I both moving slowly.

Today there is a slight decreqase in temps, cloud cover and a little rain.

I think we will survive. Yesterday it seemed to be touch and go for both of us. This is the kind of heat that makes me real stupid and frustrated because I can't think clearly. Sitting at the computer with the fan blowing directly on me and still sweating.

Did I say it's been hot?

sweaty hugs all around, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 6, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8022716

Seems like one of those days for everyone. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #8023576

ROFL!!! Thanks, Debra. I needed that. It has been a long day, but it was mostly sorting and prep work so I didn't get to see anything finished at the end of the day. That was just what I needed to keep me going. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8024646

LOLOLOL. When DH carries me on airplanes (which he does), he kicks people in the head with my feet and shows off my butt (his words).

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8024737

I've always wanted one of those worthy of showing off. With my hair tucked under a hat coupled with my height and my lack, I've been mistaken for a boy until I turned around. LOL. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #8025173

I could really learn to love that lil ole lady. LOL Is she a newspaper cartoon?
Kay, Ya know they have special pads for that area to kinda boost the scenery. ROFLOL.
It's mostly cloudy here today and it's keeping the temps down. It's cool enough to have another weenie roast.
I've been going 90 MPH just going in circles all week. Think i'll take the day off.
I have to put eye drops in my eye every 4 hours. Am i the only one who has trouble hitting my eye with the drops. I hope no one ever uses that ability to determine how much alcohol one has drunk.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 8, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8026409

need this one today. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #8026634

Hello ! I just took a look at the places that sell tools to make gardening easier for the handicapped people. How great is that? I can get out of (and into) my wheel chair but need some tools that will not be so hard for me to use. Is anyone else here in a wheel chair full or part time? Sometimes I am so content sittng on the ground digging around my plants that I lose track and get stuck - meaning I have been down too long and cannot get up ! My husband checks on me periodically so I am not stuck there forever.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 8, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8026656

Although I'm not in a wheelchair my knees are bad and I've had the same experience of sitting for too long on the ground. Tony knows to keep an eye out in case I need help. When he'snot here I have to roll around until I can manage to get up. Luckily, I have no close neighbors to witness this performance.

Mableruth, are there any teenagers nearby? Most any able-bodied young person would help you and proably want little or no pay. I've learned that most people are more than happy to help me with a hand or an arm when a curb seems six feet high.

Tony has put posts by the stairs down into the arroyo. There are enough that I can move from post to post as I go up or down.

It's hot and humid here again today. I'll be leaving for Ca. in a couple of days - I have a stack of note cards reminding me of errands to do while I'm there. I'm going to the California Rare Fruit Festival in Pomona next Saturday. It's the year of the dragonfruit.

I worked a bit in my plant room this morning but it's so hot I find myself standing there with no idea of what I'm doing. Not completely unfamiliar bu usually not this bad.

More news as it happens.

hugs, katie

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 8, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #8026669

Forgot to say that Hurricane Estelle is south of Cabo and may head this way.

kb
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8026672

Yes I have also done the "roll" Our yard is small but fairly private thank goodness
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8026723

For all of you that suffer from sore backs - or any other muscle I guess - My doctor gave me some Lidoderm Patches and I do not ever want to run out of them. When I am outside and my back (read shoulder, arm whatever) hurts I ask my husband to put one of them on whichever part of me that hurts. In a very short time I have forgotten that I had a sore back. You need to have a prescription for them but they are fairly unintrusive so none of my doctors have any objection to giving it to me. I am sooo glad to have them.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #8029319

Lidoderm ... I'll tell my DH to ask for them when he gets HEALTH insurance back!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 10, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #8031595

ay-yup

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8032519

Yep i do the rock and roll in my flowers too also in the living room when i need to get up close and personal with a pet on the floor.
Katie we'll be thinking of you and Estelle. Make her behave.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 10, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8032555

I am happy to report that Estelle, like an old cowboy, seems to be fading away.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8034389

Debra ... I can definitely dig it! Katie, I had to scroll up to see whether Estelle was your friend in CA! Good riddance, Estelle.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 12, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8035840

That's good to hear, Katie. I wonder if your stretch of coast has the same hurricane season as we have on the Gulf? I guess it must. From "July:Stand by!" to "October, All over." I have to use the silly rhyme to remember. I think calendar dates must be only general guidelines or not apply to all regions because I remember hearing of a bad hurricane that hit very high up on the Atlantic coast (NJ? Mass.?) one Halloween night. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #8037858

Don't ask me! If I didn't know it before 5th grade, chances are it's too late. I know "Red sun in morning, sailors take warning - red sun and night, sailors delight!" but I'm not sure that's useful.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8040158

We don't have hurricanes, just tornadoes and about 50 tornadoes to your one hurricane. I would argue that tornados are little things but Jim would comeback with Those little things pack a big wallup.I vote we get rid of both critters!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 14, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #8040633

Well, you are little and you pack a punch. :-) It is harder to see those little things coming and get out of their way.
Think I'd rather have hurricanes. At least, you get a lot of time to prepare with 'canes. Stocking up on bottled water and emergency rations and all the other hurricane supplies has become almost routine now. Do need to check the generator. Thanks for reminding me of that. June-too soon. July-Stand by. AUGUST: PREPARE, YOU MUST. Lol. Jim
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 15, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #8042031

In our hurricane last September many lost their homes entirely. My friend Saul had water up about five feet in his house and lost virtually all the stock in his grocery store. With either a hurricane or a tornado if you get a hit hit your are, as they say, SOL. I, haveing done disaster relief work for the Red Cross after hurricanes, floods and firestorms, bought a home that is, at least, above the flood plane. I got some water under the doors. I had told Tony when he put the roof on not to scimp on fasteners and the roof held. I got caught on the road sixty miles north of home when the roads went out. Tony stayed at my house to be sure everything was OK. Meanwwhile, twenty-eight realtives moved into his two-bedroom home with his wife and two children who are still at home. When I got home I gave hhim a twenty pound bag of rice and a ham I had brought back. We got almost no help from the government, the Red Cross or the soldiers who were sent, though I don't know why.

Anyway, I am in LA now. Well, Beverly Hills to be precise. Went to the California Rare Fruit Growers Festival yesterday. Got six hours of good information, most of it related to subtropical fruits. I'm still sort of overwhelmed - my head isn't used to being this full.

Errands for the next couple of days, then home to Mulege.

hugs all around, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #8044478

so good to hear from you Katie. thanks for droppin in with an update. It's nice to know, when people that you care about are traveling, have made it and are having a good time.
I hope you find lots of interesting fruits to try and at a good price!

Have a safe trip home.

Hugs,

Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 25, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #8061599

Got home late Friday afternoon after a blessedly uneventful trip. The van is almost all unpacked.

Tony took is father for a medical appointment today. I've had a mild bug (probably brought on by the hot weather). Slept extra yesterday. Doing short bursts of deep cleaning in my bedroom; it's the only room where I have the air conditioning on. It's kind of frustrating as it takes so much to get a noticable improvement. Neighbor Dana once commented on my non-cleaning; I offerred to gift her with the full vacumn bags. That took care of that.

My right ankle is swollen and quite sore. I had it X-rayed on my previous trip to Ca. and nothing showed up. Being overweight is probably making it worse. I'm trying to stay offit. I'm wondering if an elastic support might help.

Finally got a working sewing machine set up in the bedroom. If I put the ironing board next to it, I can do some sewing without having to get up and down a lot. I think I have ADD so I have trouble just sitting.

I brought a couple of new books back from Ca. so I may just lie in bed and read for a day or two. The dogs are more than happy to keep me company in the air-conditioned room

Hope all of your are doing OK and having great weather. We at least don't have any hurricanes coming our way right now.

hugs, katie

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8061880

Katie, Have to fuss at you. (figure it's my job LOL) It don't do a lot of good to rest for a little if you keep getting up and working. Love ya. Good for you with your neighbor!!!! Have any of you ever had anyone critisize your house than volunteer to clean it for you? Probably not!
An ACE bandage put loosly might help but you'd still need to stay off of it and watch for blue toes and swelling(cutting circulation)Oh and keep it elevated.
Have fun sewing.
What books did you get? Inquiring minds want to know! Also about the fruit.
Birdie, Whats going on with you?
I've got the AC off today. It's 6:15 and starting to cool down.
Vickie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #8061894

Definitely, Katie, wrapping that ankle will give extra support when you have to be up. Staying off of it is the best fix though. I know how difficult that is when ya live alone, though.

Hugs,
Sheri

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #8061902

Hi Vickie,
Nothing much going on here. Scratchy throat the past couple days. Woke this morning with froggy voice and very tight chest. When I give myself some chest PT I can cough up a little bit. Ugh, sure hope I'm not getting pneumonia again. Am drinking lots of water and chicken boullion.
Thanks for asking,

Hugs all around,
Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8062158

Man, I can sure use a hug, Sheri, so I appreciate it. Nothing in particular, just everything, y'know? Hope you feel better and please don't get pneumonia. Katie, I agree, ELEVATE your swollen limb.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 26, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8064223

I followed orders received here and stayed in bed all day. Read a Jonathan Kellerman book. Got up briefly to feed dogs and myself. Very boring and I'm irritable but my ankle is better. I'm using an elbow bandage on it and it helps to stabilize it.

The Rare Fruit Festival was really interesting. I learned a lot, especially about growing apples in a subtropical climate. Took lots of notes as my memory is not real good and I got a poster of Hawian fruits to inspire me. Also snagged one large dragonfruit which I brought home and gave to Tony for him and his famly to share.

I have another neighbor who always had one critical remark after another whenever he came over. (Behind his back, I called himjEyore - as in Winnie the Pooh - and anyone knew immediately what he was llike.) One day, after listening to several critical responses to any improvement which I tried to point out I said to him, quite cheerfully, "Well, you should realize that I serve the useful purpose of being a person to whom everyone else can feel superior." "Grk," he said. He hasn't come back since. The funny thing is that I wasn't anygry when I said it. Or after. Or now. He is one of the most miserable, critical people I've ever known and that's saying a lot.

Time for me to soak a bit in my outdoor tub, then back to bed.

big hugs for everybody, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #8064582

Oh Katie, You manage to send me into a giggleing spasm every now and then. I can see his face and hear a weak lil "GRK"
You got good taste in books!!! Love those Kellermans. Think i need to make a trip to the library if i can ever see again.
Good for you! Stay off the foot!
Whats a dragon frut? Sounds like something i really want.
Sheri, Can't noone neglect themselves like nurses and doctors.Please take care.pnumonia is still a BAD thing.
Carrie, consider yourself HUGGED! Wish i could do it for real. Come to think of it everyone consider yourselves hugged.
Cooler weather is on the way and we'll all feel better.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8065808

I know! Grk, and "Eeyore," really got cracked me up Now I have to figure out if it is worth $90 to borrow $6000 for a year ... not used tto borrowing money.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8065942

I went toDr yesterday and was put on a Zpak. that is some strong stuff that kills bacteria very fast. 2 pills to begin then 1 a day for only 4 days. I see My regular Dr on Tues, so she will surely check my lungs. Thanks for the concern. I get bronchitis and it seems to be more frequently the older I get. Uh...we won't talk about the age part, but it seems here for the past couple of years it hits me about every 6 months.

Hugs all around,
Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8065969

Carrie, Just off hand it sounds good to me.90 ON 6000 sounds like cheap interest.But then again math is not one of my strong abilitys In fact its slap dab at the bottom.
Sheri, You don't have staph pnumonia do you? To me you're just a child. LOL

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8065986

No, Vickie, I don't have pneumonia, just very tight upper bronchitis. The Dr put me on that Zpak to prevent it's progress into pneumonia. LOL to your thinking of me as a child..I sure don't feel like I did as a child!!

I think I might OD on peaches ^_^. I got a box (maybe 10) today at Costco and am now starting on my 4th or 5th. MMMM..MMMMfresh ripe Georgia peaches are wonderful!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8066128

Fresh ripe GA peaches? ?Me tooo??? It was very hot here this summer for a few weeks but not enough weeks to ripen anything. Last year DH put up my tomato cage for me, this year he was working, so the tomatoes all crawled all over the ground and didn't do well at all. I had good lettuce early on; I guess I should get a second crop in but I'm thinking more of cleaning out my containers.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 28, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8066866

Hi Everybody,

Glad my post gave some of you a few chuckles. Will so many of us fighting illness, fatigue, etc it's good to laugh.

Sheri, take care of that cough and rest a lot.

I am doing as you all told me and staying down with my foot elevated.

Tony, bless this heart, was doing the dishes when I finally got up this morning. I've let them slide to avoid being on my feet (most any excuse will help me avoid housework like doing dishes).

My ankle was very sore yesterday - I went to sleep about 8:30. Reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." Very interesting.

Thinking of all of you and wishing for the best for everyone.

More soon but now I have to lie down again.

hugs, katie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 28, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8067196

Katiebear, you might want to try wearing hightop athletic shoes after your ankle heals. I have problems with one of my ankles and Iíve found that helps me. More comfortable than the elastic supports when you are moving around. Shoes with the heavily padded tops work best.
Shouldn't one of the perks of surviving to an advanced age be getting to wear exactly what you want? :-) ~Nadine~
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 28, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #8067231

Hi - Great minds think alike, I guess. I was just contemplating the Doc Matrens I'd gotten for cooler weather and heavier work, deciding that I will have to adopt the is-she-really-wearing-that look of shorts, t-shirt and Doc Martens with ankle socks. Maybe I'll also get a Nixon mask. Maybe I can bring back Granny dresses. I'm a bit old for the punk look but a little purple hair would distract the eyes from the shoes. Maybe.

kb

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8067235

LOL...purple hair!
Send a pic if you do that, please! ^_^
Katie, you are a hoot!

Hugs, Sheri
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 29, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #8069768

You can always do brown leather high-tops and go for the safari look. Lol ďDr, Katiebear, I presume?Ē
:--I havenít read that book yet. MK told me the original Swedish title translates as something like ďmen who hate women.Ē Changing the title for the English speaking market was a good move. After youíve read it, she said, most of us can feel a little better about our own dysfunctional families because, at least, theyíre not quite as bad as the family in the book. Lol. ~Nadine~

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #8071008

I haven't read the book in its entirety. A friend read me some excerts from it and I read the NY Times Book Review. Please let me know if you thought it was worth your time. I'll keep my eyes open for it in audio format. LOL. Pun unintended. Kay*
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 30, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8071028

It's part of a trilogy aand will reuire a lot of hours. I'm about half-way throught he second book and think it's worth it as much for the ideas about the exploitation of women and children and for the plot. I like that the uglier parts of the plot oare not sensationalized. The herione is very interesting.

Surprising book to be written by an man.

I'm still off my feet and in a crummy mood. The dogs and I all growled at Tony when he left today. I think my ankle is some better. Still being very careful and resenting it.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #8087471

I have to be SO careful about not biting off more than I can chew. A trilogy sounds wonderful - I'm always looking for stuff to read in bed in the middle of the night. Why am I sleepy NOW - 3:30 pm - but wide awake at 3;30 am? Anyway, books are good but they take up too much space once they are read. Yes, I'm cranky. I thought once the weather got better my sx. would improve. hasn't happened!!!!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 8, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #8087854

might take a little time, carrie. it was a very hot summer and i think it took more out of you than is summer-customary. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8089458

Summer-customary ... there's an interesting concept for MS patients!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 10, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8091008

My computer has been down for a week. I'm at an internet cafe in town to let you all know I'm still alive but not kicking as my ankle is worse than ever. I'm glad to have the company of people who know how much chronic pain sucks and how much worse it sucks when a new chronic pain is added. When my puter is better I'll write to my doctor in San
Diego and see if he has any suggestions.

My dog Jenny tore up the living room hunting a mouse yesterday. She is good at opening drawers and boxes. What a mess. Tony was gone for two days; his father is worse and they are now waiting for him to get an appointment to go to LaPaz for surgery. He was back today and did most of the living room clean-up.

I hardly slept last night due to foot pain.

Sorry about the whinergram but I needed to vent.

hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #8094161

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry about your ankle.Keep trying to baby it along as much as you can.
Don't know which is worse a sick computer or a sick ankle?
Do you need a kitten to keep your dogs in their place? I have one that is very good at it.
Hugs go out for Tonys father.
I've been having trouble with depression again. Think i'm on the mend tho.
We finaly got some rain and cooler temps.Gave me an incentive to make some fall flower arraingements.I got the eye surgery and colors seem so vibrant to me.What are your favorite colors? Right now mine are yellow and orange at Christmas it'll be blue and silver.
Write more tomorrow.
Vickie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8097799

Hope everyone is OK.
Think i saw a flea awhile ago,Now i'll have to fumigate.Also have to get the oil changed in the car. Money just seems to slip thru my fingers. LOL I bet you guys don't have that problem. Course we wont talk about the craft stuff i just bought.
Night All
Vickie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8098636

I just finished a round of Avelox (an antibacterial) that cost $155.81 for TEN tablets!! That was after a 5 day Z Pak didn't zap whatever has me sick with major bronchitis
No arts n crafts or even eggs & milk for me this month!

no hug (germs) but lots of love,
Sheri
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 14, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8099753

BirdieBlue Yikes look out for the dinosaur that took the huge sized bite out of your budget.

Katiebear Have you tried Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM it is a little more expensive than the ones without the msm but it works so much better still under 20$.

Still battling with Kay's computer it is freezing up only with Zoomtext but that is the one program she can't do without.
(Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #8103527

I still need to replace my sound card, but my computer is now limping along.
I think glucosamine chondroitin is the fuel that is keeping Amargia going. I take it for arthritis pain and Nadine takes it for her ankle.
Vickie, Jim complains the natural autumn colors here are butter yellow, deep burgundy and dark pink. In his opinion these aren't PROPER autumn colors. (lol. We have lots of sweet gum trees and spider lilies.) Creating decorations is the only way I can get the rich golds, oranges and reds he associates with fall. I think I may try painting the plumes of the sea cane those colors.
Nadine has started a "Vickie's Visit to Amargia" jar where we are to put all our change. You are, of course, expected to bring any extra kitten you might have bouncing around with you. No skunks, please. She had a wild skunk she befriended in CT. Fortunately, she couldn't think of a way to get her friend Sticky on the plane. She's been reading up on skunks as pets. AL mercifully has some strict laws about that.
Hope your ankle starts healing soon, Katie. Nadine's problem is a childhood injury that comes back to haunt her whenever she stresses it too much or steps wrong. Do you have any memory of injuring your ankle in the past? Kay*

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8103986

I recieved the Armagia plant box. They are all planted and tucked up good for the winter to come. thanks for the Pink flower shamrocks. I do so love them.
Hugs to everyone. got to go get my chest x rayed now. I've been on so much meds over the past 3 weeks it's hard to believe there is still congestion there, but alas it is so.

Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 21, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #8112056

Hi Everybody,

I'm still not online at my house due to death of modem and difficulty replacing. Am getting my puter tuned up and doing my online stuff at an internet cafe.

Bad news - I tripped and fell this morning. Ii'll be black in blue in a couple of days. Very lucky I didn't break anything. I try to be careful as this is a very hard time but I spaced out.

Still waiting for Tony's father to get the appointment for his surgery; he is failing more each day.

It is still horribly hot and humid. We had a little breeze this morning but it will be about three weeks before we can expect the weather to break.

Tony has been making shelves for me and painting and putting up the cupboards for the kitchen. Very big changes happening as I am able to sort and discard, organizing what I'm keeping. Lots of magazines and other things for the kids. But I need to slow down and not try to rush things as that is how I tripped and fell.

hugs all around, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 21, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8112539

katie, do you mean difficulty in getting the right modem or in getting someone to replace it for you? if it's the modem, don't say i can guarantee to find one at our warehouse, but tell me what you have and my guys will check to see.

debra
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 24, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8118125

D-mailed Carrie. She said tell everyone she's fine, just really really busy right now. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #8118352

I was about to say, tugs to all, I'm crazy busy, but Debra seems to have taken care of it! DH says the armagia canna was worth it just for the foliage but I'm not sure I'm up to storing it. I may need a new one every spring... which makes me feel like I only take... maybe I'll be your first customer.

Lots of pain ... anyone take _____ (that anti-depressant that works on pain) ? My brain is so fritzed out from tramadol and not sleeping that I don't remember the name of it.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8119320

? Cymbalta?

Jim- thank you for my care pkg. I hope i have planted them appropriately. the sorrel in part shade/dappled sun. the lilies in morning sun. Does that sound right, or should I have put some in full sun or full shade?

Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #8119711

Katie, Bless your heart! Hope you do some fast healing.(Your puter too)I saw a special on Travel chanel,A young couple looking for a house in (San Cabel?)Beautiful place but boy the expensive houses.I'm just a simple woman.Can you imagine keeping a house like that spotless? Also i'm not a spotless person.
Hugs and prayers to Tonys father.
Debra has anyone ever told you that you are a very nice lady? Okey I ve told you how nice you are. Now I get to pick on you. LOL Some Texans think everyone from Dallas northwards are Yankees.LOL
Carrie, I love the foliage of cannas too (seems tropical)
I'm glad you mentioned them, I need to remember to bring mine in too. I brought my Christmas cactus and aloe in yesterday.everything else can stay out longer.
Whats this about you getting and not giving.I remember getting some beautiful music last year from you. Are you doing it again this year?
DD is taking an anti-depressent for pain. I'll have to ask her what it is.
I'm having trouble with not sleeping now too.I'm hyper and can't relax. Nothing seems to help. Have you ever tried relaxing music or do you find yourself analizing it.
Sheri, How did your xray turn out? I love my Fairy Bells too and they are blooming away again since it rained. One would think that containers would'nt grow up in weeds but they sure did.My hips and knees are'nt letting my move around much right now,so they'll have to stay that way.I can see better tho and the colors are brighter.
Jim, Kay and Nadene. I'm touched about the Vickie fund.
How about a big fat black witch cat? When i brought the kittens home. She got so mad at me she totally lost it.She would'nt come near me except to hiss and growl. Guess i'll keep her tho, she's started coming around. Yvonne has one but i don't know which one is going.
We always get tourists during the leaf change.We do have the reds,yellows,oranges and salmon colored.The Dogwood berrys are turning red and the leaves are turning purple.The sumac and Sour Gum turn bright red.
Our pears are ripe. I've been picking a few everyday. and made some apple pear pie filling today.I wish i could look for some muskidines.
Hope everyone has a good night
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 25, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8120066

Carrie, Might be Lyrica. It is for diabetic neuropathy and is also used for Fibromyalgia. My neurologist tried me on it for some weird numbness not explained by the MS. Worked on that, but made me so "Living on the Planet Debra" that I quit taking it. Some discomfort from whatever it was, was better than having a huge PAIN from getting fired. Cymbalta made me want to drown myself, so I stay far, far away from it now. LOL

Vickie, I'm "paying it forward," thank you for the compliment. :-) Music can absolutely alter physiology. Especially in combination with breathing or guided imagery. Also, biofeedback is really cool and works if practiced regularly. Even with MS or other conditions, it has benefits.

Debra

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8120328

Hi everyone! I am finally over the bronchial infection. The X-ray was "normal". Many years ago ( when in USAF) I had a horrible cold that would go away and come back. this went on and on over about a 3 month period. X-rays continued to show "normal" yet i was finally diagnosed as having "walking pneumonia". I think the residual cough and sinus drainage is fall allergies.

I made a wonderful discovery yesterday in my naturalized woodland front yard.
There is a swing out there that needs to be replaced (rotted wood). The 4x4 uprights and cross beam however remain in excellent condition. There is a Bluebird nest-box mounted near the top of one of the uprights. occasionally I will open the front to check for activity and also keep it free from unwanted residents (spiders, bees, etc)
Yesterday when I opened it I found a nest about 6"deep and made unlike any I had seen before. I very gently tugged at the nest material, tipping it towards me so as to identify any resident. I was met by the cutest face (size of a walnut) and Huge round black eyed. Well I quickly apologised for my intrusion and gently tucked the nest back in as it was and closed the front panel. I was only a few steps away when a head appeared in the entry hole and then A beautiful Flying Squirrel came out and immediately went to the back side of the 4x4 upright.
It stayed there flattened as if completely frozen. I slowly approached and even touched the beautiful dark brown soft as mink tail. It did not move from that position until I was well away from there. I was able to watch it quickly scamper around the side of the nest box for a quick reentry.
Later in the day I placed 2 almonds in the entry resting on the wood. about an hour later when I left for church the nuts were gone.
This morning I went out with 2 almonds. I slowly opened the front of the nest box and was gonna place 1 on the top edge. Much to my surprise, the little squirrel leaned its head toward my hand and took the almond with its mouth. I noticed something odd when it stretched up to take the almond (I was on tiptoes for visibility). There was what appeared to be a tiny pink foot near this squirrel's neck. Upon closer inspection I learned that Rosie is a new mom!! I don't know how many are in there, but there are at least 3 ( I think).
I am so excited about my new resident. In all my years of loving and working with animals, wildlife and birds, this is the first time I have come in contact with a wild flying Squirrel. Rosie did not appear frightened this morning as she took the almond from y hand.
I plan on giving her 1 or 2 a day and hope we can become friends. I so wish that I had a dig camera that worked so I could get pictures to share. This really is a rather rare experience from what I have read and been told.
Vickie- thanks for asking how I am doing, Something is going on with my right hip. It is very painful. I cannot use the right leg as the lead one when stepping up. It just won't support me and the pain is severe. I see a VA (arggg) on Monday and hopefully can get it x-rayed. I sure hope it is not my arthritis.
I have an awesome praise report to share- When I had the severe bronchitis I was put on a Z-pak (5 day super antibiotic). I already had an appointment with my regular Dr the day after taking the final pill. I was still having a hard cough that required self Chest Percussing to loosen it up. Anyway, she called in a prescription for "the big guns" to Costco (usually the cheapest prices).
Anyway, to make a long story shorter---I did not follow my original plan of going straight to the pharmacy and then leave. I dawdled over the digital cameras (probably drooling) for about 10 minute. I stopped and looked at a # of things that I usually don't even notice. It is noteworthy that I needed to go to the ladies room, but instead, wandered the store for about 30 minutes.
When I got to the pharmacy check out I learned that the 10 pills (Avelox) cost $155.81!! I nearly burst into tears telling them that I don't have that kind of money. Panic set in and I said "But I have to have this to keep from getting pneumonia! I asked if they could hold it for a few days while I called around. Mentioning my church benevolence I then sat in a chair not 3 feet from the cashier and called my church. They said I would have to fill out some paperwork and then wait for their weekly review of requests. Next I asked the pharmacist for something showing the medication and it's cost so that I could prove this legitimate need. After obtaining the documentation, I parked my cart near a register and said I'd be back.
Once in the ladies room in the privacy of a stall, I heard a woman offer assistance to another woman who apparently appeared to be searching for something. Next I heard, "No, I'm looking for another lady". About this time I was preparing to open the stall door and being the sometimes silly nut that I am, said, "Well, I know it's not me cause I'm alone!" Moments later, as I finished washing my hands a woman approached me and softly said that she had overheard me i, n the pharmacy and continued to ask just what it was that I needed or that I had. So I told her about my bronchitis and this being the "super pill" that i needed. She responded with, " I have had really severe bronchitis myself and know how you need that medication. Come on with me and we are going to get it for you."... I immediately said "Praise The Lord! You know Jesus don't you and that's why you're here isn't it!" She gave me a big hug and said yes and named the church she attended. We proceeded to the pharmacy
where she did indeed purchase my $155.81 Avelox. then the 3 of us (her husband, she and I) went to the exit where she asked for the receipt.
What is so awesome about this is that I now see and know that my God has a plan for me. He obviously was directing my path this day or she and I would not have crossed paths as we did.
I do believe that I will be much calmer and assured that my needs will be met in His time.

I know this post is very long, but hopefully someone who reads it will be blessed.

Hugs all around,
Sheri

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 12:34 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #8121442

Sheri,
You do have a way with animals. Ever thought God may reward you for watching over his creations?
I wander over stores always(Which is why no one will go with me.)
Hope your hip is not arthritic. Am going thru that right now (knees too.) Can,t hardly walk.
When i see my Dr. I remind him that i'm on a fixed income and can't afford any pricey meds. Thats a crying shame when i know that all of Europe has gov drug plans that pays for their meds.
God always answers prayers...Sometimes its wait awhile and sometimes its no.
Hugs back atcha,
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 26, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8121891

Vickie, while this will probably be of little comfort, Europeans do have more comprehensive health care, but they also have extremely high income tax rates to pay for it. I AM sorry that you are in pain. :-(

Forced to have a molar extracted last Tuesday and dentist had to take some bone with it. I stay away from pain meds when possible because I like them too much LOL, but used a few of the Darvocets he gave me. Feeling sorry for myself more than anything else because that is the second bottom molar on that side to go. Without an implant or sumpin, I can only chew on the other side now and I don't have dental coverage. Dentist said the other side isn't in great shape, either...sigh...the MS effects are a heck of a lot cheaper than the diabetes effects...sigh again...time to go dig in the dirt for awhile so I'll feel better. :-)

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 27, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8123913

Surgery for Tony's father is Thursday in La Paz. Tony will be gone most of the week.

We are in good enough shape on the house that this will not be a big problem for me. I had him set my hammock up on my patio this morning. As long as the dogs are fed there's no urgent work to be done.

My neighbors' will be back in two or three weeks. I miss Dana but not the machinery noise that tends to accompany her husband who is a construction contractor.

Our weather is cooling slightly and I think the recovery of my ankle may coincide with weather that is more work-friendly, rather that survival-endangering. (Or so it feels.)

Puter still down so I'm only online when I'm in town, which is as infrequently as possible.

By the way, Cabo is crazy in both prices and atmosphere. A beautiful spot, I camped on the beach with friends about fifteen years ago and the town was already pretty bad. Much worse now I hear.

There are lots of beautiful spots that are not as well known, pleasanter and cheaper.

Sheri, loved hearing both about your squirrel and your helper at the pharmacy. My medical miracle last week was when I realized I had a kidney infection and there was no doctor to be found in town. We have a pharmacist who is very knowledgable about drugs so I sent Tony to town with some money and he returned with the proper medication and I'm almost all better.. Cost was less than $40.

Lots of medications are available here without prescriptions. I, too, am overly fond of opiates. Does anyone have alternatives to recommend?

It's so hard sometimes to distinguish between pain, depression and simple (?) tiredness. All three go so well together. Guess I just need simple feel good and energetic (and lose weight, while I'm wishing) pill. And clear headed.

I have the first four seasons of Quilting Arts TV on dvd's so I've been watching them and thinking about what I can do with my very large fabric stash.

Work on the kitchen continues to go well. Tony and I work well together and it is such a blessing - for both of us, I guess, as he thanks me as often as I thank him.

Glad you'e all here.

hugs all around, katie

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

September 27, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8124130

WhoaCarrie, If we canít find homes for our excess cannas they will just have to go into the compost. It is kind of sad to toss out a beautiful, healthy plant just because you donít have a space for it. That is what I like about DG plant trades and giveaways. Friends and family gave the cannas to Amargia to begin with and, in this region, cannas are the gift that keeps on giving. lol. It seems every year someone gives Kay yet another variety of canna lily and the ones we already have keep multiplying.
BTW, the anti-depressant Iím on is Cymbalta. The doctor told me it would also help with the neuropathy and Iíve found that to be the case. I havenít had any trouble with it. I have met others whoíve had experiences similar to Debraís, however.. The doctor who recently prescribed anti-depressants to Nadine told her she would probably live to see a time when doctors prescribe anti-depressants based on genotype, but until then, the patient has to go thru a difficult, time-consuming, trial and error process to find what works. That is one aspect of the future I wish would hurry up and get here.
Katie, you have no idea (or maybe YOU do) how much I wish there was something that would numb the pain that wasnít also mind numbing. I go off Tramadol from time to time just to reassure myself that I am suffering the effects of the drug and am not going the way of my mother who has Altzheimerís.
Sheri, neither the oxalis nor the lilies are very particular. The oxalis is lower and has a more mounding shape in sun. The blooms sort of look like theyíre floating atop the foliage mounds. It is more upright when grown in partial shade. The flowers are on stems that extend well above the foliage. Pink oxalis will grow in sun or part shade. Where you choose to put them depends mostly on the look you are going for.
People, like the lady you encountered who truly live Christís teachings, are a blessing to everyone.
Vickie, one of my SILs is a hospital administrator. She talks about the growing number of admissions her hospital gets in winter because someone had to choose between paying for meds or paying their heating bill. In VT you can imagine which they choose.
Rough week for all of us here, but we accomplished a lot of work we had been putting off. This is my favorite time of year. Spring is an abbreviated season in this region. It slips too quickly into summer for my taste. Autumns here are drawn out affairs. The temps are mild and there is plenty of color. Even if it isnít the colors I associate with fall. lol. Iím working on that. There are trees and shrubs that give fall color in the south. They just arenít common. At least Iím not as bad as one homesick, nesting snowbird I heard about. While walking in the woods, she saw a vine with brilliant crimson foliage to rival any maple. She collected some to trellis in her yard for fall color. A neighbor told her while she was planting it that the beautiful red-leaf vine was poison ivy. :-o (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 27, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8124651

The only canna blooms this summer at my house. Was just too hot and dry. But sure is pretty...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8128542

As of today they're starting to switch me from wellbutrin to cymbalta. I'm really worried about that moment when the wellbutrin stops working and the cymbalta hasn't started yet. My MD is v-e-r-y__s-l-o-w-l-y over 4 weeks tapering down the one and up the other and as of now I'm taking mostly wellbutrin and a little cymbalta.

Yes, Vickie, you guessed it, music for me is not soothing or relaxing, it is stimulating! I analyze it, I arrange it, I think of other music.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8129312

I could'nt take welbutrin,Good luck on the cymbalta. Prayers and hugs.Guess all of us could have had better weeks.
Had Dr appointment today.He can't figure out whats causing my weakness but wants me to have my BP checked in office everytime i'm in town.He wants me to have someone come in everyother day. SSI should pay for it. He does'nt want me to be alone so much.
I need someone to rake a pile of leaves for me to play in. LOL (no leaves yet)
Everyone have a great day.
We're having great fall weather now Highs around 80 and lows around 60 and 50.
I have a huge polk salet plant outside my window here and it is covered in purple berrys.
I get so sad looking around my yard. Everything is so growed up.I went out and weeded a little and really payed for it.Now i sit mostly.
Everyone have a cool sunshiny day.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8129334

Vicki - I know just what you mean about getting sad looking at a yard that i long to care for, but just cannot. Any time I spend more than about 5 minuted weeding or anything I have muscles that "talk" to me for a few days. And boy do they grumble!

Hugs all around,
Sheri

PS- did I tell you all about the Mama Flying Squirrel who has nested in a Bluebird nest box attached to my front yard wooden swing? She has 3 babies. She also will accept an almond from me!! Flying Squirrels are on the endangered list, so I feel especially blessed by their presence. Guess my efforts to have my property as an official wildlife habitat have been successful!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8130104

Yes, you told us about the flying squirrel -- very exciting! when you were telling the story, I thought it was going to be bluebirds inside. Isn't this an unusual time of year to have babies? I thought they were all born in the spring.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8130204

Squirrels have both spring and fall litters. The fall litters get to stay with Mom overwinter as they would not be able to forage for themselves yet and accumulate a winter storehouse.
No doubt everyone is familiar with how plentiful rodent reproduction is!
I don't like to think of them as rodents, but alas, they are!

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8130298

Aha. I was a spring litter myself and that seems most natural to me. But it seems like the fall babies have a longer, er, period of what they now call "co-sleeping" or something like that

I learn something new every day on here. Thank you.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #8132070

Sheri, I have a SIL that calls them tree rats (mainly to get a rise out of me lol) I love squirrels and they are MAMMALS.LOL I love to watch them.
Carrie i learn something new everyday here too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8132238

OK, here's our new thing to learn for today: go to -- dang, I lost it! It's an accessible gardening charity (I know we all probably hate that word, but it is) in England called Thrive, and they have a page called "keep it up" or "Keep it on" or something like that, and I had the page open but then I had a fit of tidiness come over me.

WAIT WAIT HERE IT IS!
http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/gardening-sitting-down-and-from-a-wheelchair.aspx

"carry on gardening"
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 2, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8133405

:-)Thanks, Carrie. I don't remember seeing all that the last time I went to their site, but then I was researching something for the VIs. I think I will subscribe to their newsletter so I can keep up.
Kay calls squirrels "tree rats" but that is a habit she developed when she was young and couldn't say the word "squirrel" right. Before speech therapy she had a problem with any word that strung r's, l's or w's together in any combination. She found all kinds of ways around saying such words. (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8133643

Be vewy. vewy quiet. Sh-h-h. I'm hunting wascawly watty husbands. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #8135684

I'll help!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8136137

I'll help too!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #8136507

Do I sense a common thwead?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 5, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8139435

I happen to know Kay likes big, fat rats so Iím safe even when she finds me.
Photo: Ratty, Kayís favorite Halloween decoration, among the fall tomatoes.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #8139606

Wow, a buck tooth rat with raccoon hands and OOHHH, those evil red eyes! I tell ya, I'd be shakin in my boots if I had any on!!

Scaredy Cat Sheri

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8142598

A rat or mouse with the dexterity of a racoon. Now THAT would be something to fear. I once forgot a loaf of bread in the car when I brought the groceries in. When I went to get the bread the next morning, I discovered a racoon had gotten through a window left partially open, tore into the bread and ate it in the car. What a mess! It looked like he had invited friends and had a wild party.
Rats and mice that could open containers. Maybe, even the fridge! That would be scary.
BTW, how are Rosie and family? Kay*

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #8142708

^_^ Trish & Dave had a 9#10oz baby boy yesterday afternoon at 4pm (texas time)!!!^_^
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #8143169

That was a big baby. Thanks Sheri.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 7, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #8143224

I'm finally back on line at my house. That's probably the end of the home improvements we've been doing while the internet was down.

The operations for Tony's father was cancelled as his kidneys were not working at all. If he geta some better they will reschedule but it does not look good.

My ankle is recovering slowly which is better than not at all. I guess.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8147305

Good luck for Tony's father.

Congrats to Dave and Trish. That's more than twice the weight of my littler baby!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 13, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #8154247

That IS a big baby!
Package coming your way, Vickie. I'm going to check into that TOPS weight loss program you mentioned on another thread. I got one of those all-to-familiar lectures from the doctor this morning. He thinks I will be dealing with diabetes in a few years if I don't get things under control soon. Blood pressure was high, as well. Six-month check-up with the VA next week. They won't be nearly as polite and understanding as my civ doc is. They will hammer me hard. I want to get healthy to avoid these kinds of confrontations, if nothing else. lol. I need to find a sensible diet I can stay on long-term. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #8158473

Jim, Somewhere here i have a diabetic diet booklet that i used 30 years ago It was a good common sense book. I lost 40 lbs on it.(over a years time.) As soon as i find it i'll send it on.Saw it the other day. I've just glanced at the book they use today and i was not impressd.
Saw a program on Kudzu last night. The spring leaves are good to eat. The vines makes great baskets, The tubers are a good source of starch, like potatoes. If we used the plants they would'nt go wild as a weed.
I've been completely cleaning house(nothing left unturned) I get so discouraged because i'm so slow. Needed a break and built a fire outside and cooked hamburgers and potatoes in the coals.I did not want to come back in. I saw Orion the constellation come up in the east on his side.Katydids are all gone and it was so quiet and peaceful.
I met a lady the other day and she is into Native Ameican dancing. We talked a long time. The 23rd we are going to a meet north of here.and hopefully i'll be accepted to come back to participate. Am thrilled to death.
Am seeing well but the depression keeps hanging on.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 16, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #8158752

Our weather here has taken a major turn for cooler. We are all very happy It takes a while to recover from our summer and, like Vickie, I am frustrated that I am still low energy (AKA depressed). Which means I'm happy that it's cooler but unhappy that I don't have more energy.

My ankle is still sore. Sometimes it hurts when I'm just sitting and other times I can walk on it with no pain. I'll be happy when I have better supports. I also have some pain in my left kidney and that also slows me down. I know I will feel better but this has gone on for a long time.

The good news is that I did some work in my outdoor plant room yesterday. Enough of the kitchen is done that I could put most things that have been out in boxes away if I had the brain power to figure out where I want things to go. I slept about twelve hours last night after very little sleep the night before.

All in all, I'm doing OK and hope you are all the same.

hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8158860

Katie, What kind of pain in your kidney? Truely that is nothing to mess with. I know by experience.
LOL! We belong to the same "Now where am i gonna put this" club. I just throw everything into a nearest drawer than change things later after i find out what i need most etc. Did that make sense?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 16, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #8159897

The pain is a slight nagging one in my left kidney. I'm drinking celery seed tea and it's almost all better.

Tony and I worked for about an hour in the arroyo today. Doing permanent work. We like the word permanent. We got to throw a lot of tires around and play in the dirt (mud) and admire our border of bouganvillas.

There is a baby hummingbird that has been feasting on the pomegranates that are growing by my outdoor bath tub. Today, while I was soaking, it stuck it's head through a hole in a pom which had a v in the bottom of the circular hole. It got stuck. It was so intent on the pom juice that it didn't know what to do what to do when it couldn't get it's head out. I was less than two feet away so I grabbed the pom and pulled it apart. The hummer flew off but was back a minute later. We are getting used to each other. Wish you all could have seen the poor thing flapping its wings and trying to pull its head out. Sure glad I was there as it doesn't seem to be the sharpest hummer. It is cute, though, and tiny. About the size of a cotton ball.

I'm very ahppy to have been able to work outside for over an hour. It's been a while.

We're having our fall/spring weather. Good for working and for sleeping.

hugs, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #8160035

it surely sounds inviting to me , Katie! ^_^

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8172080

Ouch, Katie! You could also try unsweetened cranberry juice (where you could get that, I don't know...) but kidneys are kind of important! Please take care of yourself - we need you.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #8173305

I talked to Steph (Scrapps) last night and she sends a big "hello" to all of us. She has no online access now and is facing may challenges. Please lift her up in prayers & thoughts.

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010

Post #8173952

Thanks, Sheri. I just got my Steph-made scarf for another winter. Tell her our thoughts and prayers are with her and we miss her (and you).
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #8174426

Katie, cranberry juice is the best for kidney infections drink lots of any juices and water.OH and don't complain about having to live in the bathroom. LOL Anyway hope you're all over it by now.I know how you feel, I've been working outside some too.
I really miss Steph. I had her phone number but lost it cause i did'nt put it in my address book.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 26, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8176930

Hi everyone. Sorry to say there is more sad news here. Tony just came and told me he needs a couple of days off because a brother-in-law died suddenly. Tony is kind of reeling. He doesn't let much show but all the illness and now a sudden death are getting to him. The only thing I could do was offer extra money which he said wasn't needed for now and tell him to take whatever time he needs. Tony has a few health problems himself and this clearly rocked him.

I was thinking about what I might do and realized that when he's able to come back I need to tell him that if anything happens to him I will continue to pay his salary to his family. His oldest son is at the university and planning to become a veterinarrian. His second son just graduated from high school and his daughter is twelve. His wife is a good wife and mother but has problems working outside the home. One of the strengths of my realationship with Tony is that he is a commited to my care and well-being as I am to his. When I go north he takes excellent care of my dogs, as well as the house and garden. I really don't know what I'd do without him, both for the work he does and for the solid friend that he is. In the really bad hurricane last year he left his family and stayed at my house as I was on my way home from Ca and got stranded on the road.

All this by way of saying that I have let myself depend on him more and more as I realized that he wasn't going to disappear on me. I would survive without him but there would be a big hole in my life.

Mexico doesn't have Social Security or any other retirement plan, at least not for people like Tony. I pay him what amounts to most of my Social Security as I also have retirement from the county I worked for.

Because of my own co-dependency issues I have not rushed into making long-term promises to Tony but I think it's time.

Thanks for letting me talk about this. Please send lots of paryers to Tony and his family.

hugs all around, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8177011

Katie,
I just wrote a lengthy note that suddenly disappeared!!!
Am running late for a Dr appt 45 miles away in 75 minutes!
Please know that you and Tony along with his family are all in my prayers. I will add all of you to my churches prayer list if it is OK with you.

Hugs & prayers,
Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 26, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8177024

Thank you, Sheri, that is very kind of you. katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #8177422

Katie, how very generous and thoughtful of you to think of Tony's family that way!
is
Years ago, when the wealthy long-ago distant branches of my family had caretakers for their summer homes, they would maybe invent jobs for widows to do (when the wage-earner died young and the widow was sitting around for 20-30-40 years) or then later pay the widow a pension to supplement Social Security.

I think it's entirely reasonable, what you are suggesting; you and Tony are not co-dependent but you are certainly INTERDEPENDENT! He and his family would suffer financially were you to die, and you would suffer logistically were he to die. (Obviously you each would suffer tremendously emotionally were the other to die!)

The question to me, Katie, is can you afford it? Suppose you do this for Tony's family upon Tony's untimely incapacitation -- can you still afford to hire Tony II? You will still need help. If you can still care for yourself--even if that means hiring someone to take care of you--then I'm all for it! Do you know a Mexican estate lawyer? Because unfortunately this kind of nonsense has to be legal. A trust? That he is the beneficiary of that kicks in when he is disabled or dies or turns 65 or 80 or however old you think he will be too old to work? Think long and hard before you act, my dear. Then act. love Carrie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 28, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8181296

Hi Everyone, My neighbor Dana and her husband Tom got back late Sat. Dana had found me a really good ankle brace. I think it's the blow-up kind but the inflatable part doesn't work. Will be getting a working inflatable one in the mail soon but meanwhile this is a huge improvement over and Ace bandage wrap. My ankle is a lot improved mostly due to my staying off it but I hate that I can feel my muscles atrphying while I read or watch a dvd. However, when every step on the right foot causes a pain I am reminded that I must let it heal. Yes, let the heel heal.

Tony is back today and I will talk to him about money. Mostly, I don't want him to hurt himself by feeling he has to get here to work. When he first started working for me - now about 14 years ago - the first rule I gave him was "don't hrt yourself." He had done damage to his back breaking up a rock wall with a short-handled sledge h ammer. He is now very good - and very funny - about coming in to ask me for hellp when he needs someone who's "very strong." There are other Americans here this time of year who want his help and one Christmas present to him in a year when I was short of money was to let him take unlimited time off to do other work while still getting paid his usual salary. He has always been good about not taking advantage. I sent him home when he came to work with smallpox and chewed him out for not taking care of himself.

Anyway, we will have a talk which i hope will reassure him in the wake of all this stress. We need to see a lawyer, anyway. I'v'e just been putting it off.

Our weather is beautiful. We have the bluest skies and the Sea of Cortez under them. As my mother once said, looking around happily, "This blue weather is so beautiful." Couldn't have said it better myself.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #8183318

He came to work with SMALLPOX? Jeez, Katie! That's loyalty! And does that mean he won't get polio (and that he never had a polio shot)?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 29, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8183364

Yes, with smallpox. He has previously worked for people who would dock his pay if he couldn't come to work. I changed that. Sent him home and told him NEVER to do that again. If he or a family member is sick he gets time off - paid. No questions asked. If he doesn't show up for work I know there is a good reason.

Today Tony did a back log of dishes for me. I think I should recommend him for sainthood. We are graduallly getting the kitchen together.

The brace that neighbor Dana brought me is helping. Still waiting for the one that's coming in the mail.

Feeling pretty good considering I didn't sleep much last night. But now I'm getting sleepy so I think I will lie down.

hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #8186226

Tony sounds so much like my Espanic native American XSIL.Which reminds me i need to call him. I have'nt talked to him in a long time.
My prayers and thoughts go out to Tony and his family as well as you. Is the Economy hitting hard in Mexico as it is here?
I'm downsizing my phone goodies and Satellite tv programming.I don't use my phone much and don't watch that much tv.
Glad you're ankle is improved.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 31, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8186648

We made it trough another week. My ankle is much better but I am still being super careful of it as it is still tender and very vulnerable to another injusry.

Tony is hanging in. We aren't trying to do any heavy work and mostly I let him do what he thinks needs to be done. This time of year a lot of that is raking leaves. When we have more energy we will hook up the trailer and get loads of dead palm logs to beuild up the soil around the arroyo. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plant dragonfruit as my plants are growing wildly. We need something where the bottoms of the plants get shaded and the tops are in the sun. I've been gradually getting adenium seeds started; I bought a lot of them on eBay and they don't stay viable for long.

It's hard to know about the economy here. Most of the places where I shop are hanging in but that has always been the case. The last hurrican hit very hard and many Americans simply abandoned their damaged homes as it would be hard to salvage anything and it was the fourth time in five years that we were hit. Most people won their homes so the bite comes with large electric bills during the hot summer and high gas prices. There's not a lot of general store type shopping. We have lots of small groceries and a couple of store that sell kitchen stuff and that kind of thing and a hardware store. People are used to making do. I've had to educate Tony to the value of his time by buying adequatye tools and supplies so he doesn't spend hours to save a few dollars.

We are in pretty good shape as far as my house goes because I have stocked up on wupplies when they were available or when I was in theUS so our ongoing expenses are low. Tony's second son just graduated from high school and may join his older brother at the university in La Paz. This, plus medical expenses for his parents and the fact that his wife is not a good worker in terms of being employable, keeps Tony pretty strapped. A friend of his talked him into loaning him $200 for an "emergency" and has not paid him back so I "loaned" it to him. He knows that I will provide extra help if he needs it and he rarely asks for it but I'm sure it's a feeling of security to know the help is there if he needs it.

It's a beautiful day here and I'm going to do as little as possible.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #8187189

Hasn't been a beautiful day here in forever ... maybe just a few days because we had really nice weather last week but that was after a MONTH of cold weather so I couldn't warm up in time to enjoy it, you know what I mean?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 31, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8187380

I grew up in Northern Michigan so I absolutely know what you mean.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8188730

Good - people around here def.make me feel like I'm whining as they wear flip-flops, shorts and sleeveless shirts just because it's 70*! It has to be 70* at night, too, and my internal temp. has to ar least get up to 98*! (My normal is around 95-96* and my BP 85-90/40-50, my pulse hard to discern.) My PT wants me to get my PCP to prescribe drugs to increase my BP!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 1, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8188977

Carrie, is that a known symptom of MS? Sounds similar to the symptoms Kay has because of hypothyroidism. I used to be jealous of how she never broke a sweat and could look cool and collected wearing one of those women's suits in August. In summer, I come back inside drenched in sweat just from the short walk to the mailbox. It never crossed my mind it was all symptoms of an illness. The doctor caught it on a routine blood test.
I know your package was insured Kb. I'll give the postal service to the end of the week and then start calling. Does mail service in that part of Mexico tend to be slow? (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #8189604

Yup, Jim. My neuro will explain it's all related to my amigdyla and I'll nod knowingly. Which is why Debra's first post ever "I have MS and I garden in D/FW" took me so much by surprise, because generally, people with MS get hot too fast and prefer cooler climates. But me, I just cannot control my body temperature well at all by myself. We keep the house at 70-72 in the winter and as long as it is 68-80 outside, I do ok. Much colder than that, I start adding silk long underwear, wfront and back are dry.ool socks, wool long underwear, wool sweaters, sweatshirts, corduroys, but this can be if it's 67 during the day and 55 at night -- I'm frozen! Never expect me to go to a fall football game (up north, at least) or an A/C movie. The low BP is a symptom of MS, although it runs in my family too, just not THIS low. Hotter than 85 I start not being able to think and sweating strangely. Like my thighs will sweat but the rest of my legs - calves, feet, ankles, hips, etc, -- will stay dry as the Sahara. My face will pour sweat but my armpits and arms and hands and scalp and neck and front and back are dry! IT'S SO WEIRD!!!

BTW, are Debra and I the only ones not allowed to donate blood? I'm not allowed to donate blood or organs or platelets or corneas or anything! I mean, they don't think it's contagious, but they think a blind person who's missing a cornea would rather not risk getting MS (which is very treatable these days) than take a chance at getting a cornea or a kidney or a heart or liver? And shouldn't it be the recipient's decision?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
12:26 AM

Post #8189755

Carrie, I think MS is scary to most people.Guess we're all scared of things we don't understand. I've never been able to donate blood either. Always too anemic.My normal RBC is lower than a normal persons.Mine tops out at 12 and normal is 14.
I rarely sweat and have always had to watch out for heat stroke.Don't know why.
My face sometimes sweats now and means i'm having heart problems.
Cold gets to me some too but not like it does to you.
I drove out to get the mail and
was such a beautiful day. I drove out on a forest mountain road and injoyed the scenery. Still some leaf color, looked at rocks. Saw so much fern.
Two more days till i can get my stove.
We have an abundance of large acorns this year. The deer and other wildlife should be fat for winter.
Have found some Kudzu but had better wait till spring to transplant it.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #8191024

But if you were dying of liver failure and there was a matching liver available in perfect condition from someone who had MS, which you take it, or die of liver failure?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8192065

Is there really any question there? Since MS is not a disease of the liver, it would not seem to matter. It also is not a blood borne disease to my knowledge. However I certainly do not even claim to be all knowing or even up; to date with current medical protocols or treatments.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 3, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8192151

I want a brain transplant. The one I have now is all grubby.

Does anyone here take Metformin for diabetes? I think a lot of my less-than-happy frame of mind is a side effect but am wondering what others have experienced. I have almost no energy and just feel crappy (am I allowed to say that here?).

grumpy hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 3, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8192174

Sheri, Because "they" haven't pinpointed the cause of MS, but do think it could be caused by a virus, the restrictions are just in case. If viral and we give blood or an organ, we could infect the new host.

Katie, I lovvvvvve that. May I borrow the grubby brain descriptor? LOL I am sorry you feel crappy--yes, you can say that here. :-)

Debra
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 3, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #8192191

Debra, You can borroww the description. You are also welcome to borrow the brain.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #8192622

There is no generally agreed upon 'cause' of MS, and so, it 'might' be transmitted any way, even a way they haven't thought of yet. The ethics committees need to get together and compare living with the possibility of m-a-y-b-e someday getting MS which m-i-g-h-t in 20-30 years get as bad as mine -- although they have MUCH better treatments now, not just symptomatic but actual getting at the MS itself--vs. dying now for sure of kidney, liver, lung or heart disease.

Sheri, Debra and I are NOT PERMITTED to give blood. I'm listed as an organ donor on my Driver's License but as soon as they found out I had MS they would cancel the transplant.

It's not our choice or the recipient's choice; it's correct medical procedure at the moment, SOP. Idiotic, I agree. When I was dying of pneumonia 8-9 years ago, it had gotten to the point where the MDs all were predicting my heart would give out. Nope, my heart and lungs and all my other organs were STRONGER than they "should" have been. Anyone needs a transplant, I recommend MY STUFF (if I'm done with it,totally done).

Katie, if your fuzzy brain is plaque-free, I'll take it in a heartbeat.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 3, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8192972

My Dad was on the waiting list for a kidney when he died. I know he would not have hesitated a moment about accepting a kidney from a donor who had MS. Isn't MS a slowly progressing illness? Doesn't it usually strike people in the prime of life? Dad would have probably died of simple old age before MS would have become an issue, even if there WERE a viral cause to MS. I do think it should be the decision of the recipient. All Dad really cared about was living long enough to see his daughters into adulthood.
Katiebear, Papa J and I were talking today about how glad we will be when they can install wetwear interfaces and computer augment human brains. (We were shopping at HD, but had forgot our list. We were trying to remember it.) Then, lightning struck nearby, and we began to think of potential problems with that solution. lol.
You are going to have to share your secrets for finding good plant deals on perennials, Debra. It is suppose to get down into the 30's at night by Friday. I thought sure I would find some good end-of-season deals today. All I found were tropicals and cool season annuals. (grumble...grumble) Haven't given up yet. Will try Lowe's and the local nurseries tomorrow. ~Nadine~.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 3, 2010

Post #8193225

I am so irritable that I think I must be getting better.

Tony's father is now scheduled for surgery on Nov 18 which is when I will be on my way to No Ca to see Amma. I think our friend Jon can take care of the dogs and since Dana and Tom, my next-door neighbors are here everything should work out OK.

We will start van clean-up in a day or two and there are some things that I can pack now. A lot of the preparation is fairly routine but the trips are always somewhat difficult. The best way is to prepare thoroughly and then take my time on the road. And hope it doesn't rain.

kb

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #8193588

Yep...grumpy definitely can be a sign of getting better! At least ya don't just feel totally blah anymore if you are getting grumpy.

I'm praying for a quick recovery for you , my friend.

Hugs,
Sheri

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #8194093

Kb, if being irritable is a sign of recovery, I must be doing VERY well. lol. Positive thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
Nadi came across an old Farmerís Almanac and has become fascinated by astrological gardening. She tells me I have to plant today to take advantage of the lunar influences. Uh-hph, it is rainy, cooling down fast and my joints hurt. Sheís decided to cut me some slack and gone to get a few bags of potting soil. Wouldnít want to plant contrary to the Moon, now would I? Give me patience for the enthusiasm of youth! :-) Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2010
12:53 AM

Post #8195356

Kay, Plant what? We're expecting our first hard frost and you're planting something. There's something wrong with that picture!!!!LOL
Katie, I'll take your fuzzy brain too. In fact i'll be glad to take parts from anyone of you willing to give.
Grumpy is a good sign. Now find someone deserving of a good dose of grumpiness and let em have it.How about writing a letter to some good ole American politicians(any of them will do) Hope you get well quick and have a safe trip to Cal.
I take Glipizide for diabetis. Which reminds me my blood sugar has been up around 200 this week. The bologny sandwich sandwich i just ate probably did'nt help any. Have'nt had any sweets tho
I want so much to pack up and take off but that eye surgery and a couple other things put everything else on hold. Who knows, I may take off with just gas money.LOL Am trying to get together stuff for a garage sale but Gee i'm slow.
Nadine, my Lowes are stripped bare of flowers. They have a bunch of Norfork Pines for Christmas. Sure hope they get some Christmas cactus later. My dream stove was all sold, But the beautiful salesman said he'd ordered some more and they should be here in two weeks.

My grandmother was a firm beleiver in planting by the moon. Not me! I plant when the brain mood hits. LOL
I found a good place to overwinter the cannas. Right up against my south living room wall. It'll be protected from the north and east wind.I'll pile the leaves high too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8199205

There is a "Gardening by the Moon" forum on DG, you know, you crazies!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 8, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8200832

I'm happy to report that I slept DEEPLY for several hours last night and early this morning. It's the first time in months that that has happened and, boy, do I feel the differemce.

My ankle is still tender and I am being very careful of it. If all goes well, I'll be seeing Amma Thanksgiving week and she usually has a good acupuncture person there whom I will see at least once. I'll be seeing my Kaiser doctor the following week and we will reevaluate any and all meds.

Have no idea what I'll do today. Enjoy the day and take good care of myself. Hope all of you do the same.

hugs, katie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 8, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #8201335

Sounds like good advice to me, Katie. Kay is feeling just good enough to get herself in trouble if we don't stay on her case. She is doing a lot of winter sowing in pots today. Everything from goiji berries to calendula. Stuffing more stuff in the little "winter salads" greenhouse. I don't suppose she can get in too much trouble doing that. She told Nadi that since she was born a "moonchild" (in the sign of Cancer), she can plant successfully any darn time she pleases. lol. I always thought she was rather luny...eh,,,I mean lunar. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8201432

There is a "Gardening by the Moon" forum on DG, you know, you crazy nuts - I wrote that yesterday (the 7th) but for some reason I never pushed send! Trying to finish this article!!!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 9, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #8203490

Thanks, Carrie. I put that on the forums to watch. I think planting by the moon is worth experimenting with. It certainly has a long history. I guess when you have a lot of aches and pains though; you have to do work when your body says you can. No matter what the moon and stars suggest.
I think being born the last of June makes me a ďmoonchildĒ too. Meaning, old scorpions should be careful of their stingers if they want that from-scratch German chocolate birthday cake. Now, I just might decide to make a mooncake instead. lol. .
I think Papa Jim is grumpy because we went to the furniture store to buy him a new desk chair for his birthday, but ended up buying a new kitchen table instead. It is going to be harder than I thought to find a comfortable desk chair for a tall person with back trouble. If I keep looking I might find one by Christmas. He adapted the one he has to his needs by adding a headrest taken from a second chair so getting the same style chair isnít an option.
Kay slept all day so the rest of us did play. lol. I'm sure she'll be back to cracking the whip tomorrow. She is slowly
getting better. ~Nadine~

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 10, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #8205184

Hey, I like mooncake, if it is what I'm thinking it is. ( A pastry filled with sweetened red bean paste). But, I'll play nice before they decide to stick a candle in that southern classic, the moonpie. lol. (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 10, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #8205905

Yep, a candle stuck in a moon pie with an RC cola. (Do they still make RC? I've heard jokes abut it all my life, but I've never even seen it.)
Does an acupuncture treatment hurt much, Katiebear?
We plant garlic and perennial onions in the ground outside this time of year, Vickie. Turnips and mustard go thru the winter too. MK planted some kind of giant red mustard greens in the FLOWER beds. I guess it isn't any stranger than the ornamental cabage in most flower beds this time of year. It sure taste better. :-)
I'm so wired about getting into culinary school I'm having trouble getting to sleep tonight. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #8207503

Nadine, Don't remember you trying to get into culanary school. Congratulations!!! We expect many wonderful things from you.
Turnip and mustard greens sound fabulous.Wait till Kay and Jim are relagated to gardening in big pots.Wish i'd thought of plantng some.(turnip and mustard,not pots)
Had'nt thought of RC in years. If it's still around count on it being sold in Arkansas.
Jim I'd like to hear more about this moonpie.
Is the first part of June a moon child too? I must be a feral child of the universe. Actually i'm a Gemini, Which is why i have a split personalty.LOL
Katie Am so glad you had a sound nights sleep. I can appreciate the feeling to celebrate.Hows Tonys Father?
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 12, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8207873

Glad to see everyone still here. I've been in bed for two nights and one day. A nasty bug. Tony is not here today so either he got it or his father is worse. He hasn't called as he wouldn't want to wake me up if I'm still asleep.

I just stripped all the leaves off my apple tree. This at the direction of a man who grows lots of apples in Santa Cruz. Seems that one way to get apples in warm climates is to see that they only produce one crop a year. This is my first year of trying this so we'll see how it goes.

Since I haven't been out of bed hardly for a 40 hours, I don't have any news To answer a previous question - in my experience accupunture doesn't hurt.

The upside of being sick is that my ankle is much improved.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8208009

I'm glad, very glad, that you're feeling better, Katie! Myself, I went to New Orleans with DH and without DD#2 and had a lovely time. The thing was, I kept falling asleep! I think a W/C ride over cobblestones at breakneck speed is exhausting! Jeez... Add more alcohol than I'm accustomed to in a year and you get one very groggy Carrie. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't miss me too too much. Now I have to COMPLETE my article about Enterprise AL and their curious statue, so don't think I'm ignoring you.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 12, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #8208915

Vickie, my goal is to one day own my own bakery. I will study cooking, in addition to business and accounting courses. I will have to work for an established bakery at first, of course, but eventually I want to go out on my own.
I think the first part of June means Mercury. You sound mercurial to me. :-) I'll ask Kay. She made money as an astrologer (of sorts) way back in the 80's. PJ told me she made money doing natal horoscopes for CABBAGE PATCH DOLLS. Remember those? The funny-faced dolls that came with names and birth certificates? I remember my elder sister having one. I can't imagine paying anyone a $100 to have a doll's birth chart done. My sister told me, though, that at the height of the Cabbage Patch craze a lot of childless, adult professional women and couples would buy the dolls and even set up nurseries for them. They played Mommy and Daddy with their doll children while waiting for their careers to allow them time to have the real deal. O-o-ohkay...and people say MY generation is weird! lol. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #8209056

I do remember the cabbagepatch dolls. Luckily i was in between kids and grandkids and did'nt have to deal with them. My GS were into those Ninga Turtle transformers things.The girls got Betty crocker toy kitchen stuff but mostly they played outside climbing trees,playing in mud etc. Sometimes their mom did too.
LOL Nadine, I decided a long time ago that even tho i loved the human race. We were decidedly very much on the crazy side.How we've lasted this long is a total mystery and miracle.
I love being mercurial. Sounds kinda mysterious.
I will buy from your famous bakery and tell everyone i knew you way back when, Speaking of which. I've cooked and froze pears and apples all day. The apples i mixed with pineapple and cranberrys to make a sauce for Thanksgiving.I missed out on the sweetpotatoes as they were all sold. Will still buy a few from the supermarket.My nephew, Paul will trade me some venisen for some homemade butterscotch pies.
Carrie, Sure wish you coulda come by here.Did ya go to Bourbon street and hear some wild blues bands? Arkansas has acouple of airports.
I used to read the Boston Globe online all the time but have'nt in a long time. Got an E-mail from them today asking me where i'd been. Actually theyed changed their format up and i did'nt like it as well.
Maybe for the winter i should start going to some of my old haunts.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #8209071

Started a new thread,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140511/
Thought it might be getting a little long.
Vickie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America