Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Container Gardening: five gallon bucket question

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 171
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7994012

Hello all

I have been searching a little on DG to find my answer and can't seem to. I have access to about 45 (free) five gallon buckets that stored pool chemicals original. I'm wondering if there would be a problem using them for container gardening of veggies? I understand the risk of chemical residue seepage or leaching into the soil but couldn't I line each bucket with a heavy plastic bag? Or spray sealant inside them? I'd drill holes in the bottom but that may not keep them safe. Any help for this newbie is most appreciated. Thanks!

Cayte
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7994740

well...first of all... you'll need big holes in anything you use..
as the chemicals go.. and I don't know just what ones you have..
they are likely very water soluable.. as they are diluted in the pools so if the buckets were empty and dry of these.. a washing and a few rinces should remove any risidual chemicals.. and these chemicals are made to be in the water your body.. and thoes of young children is in for prolonged periods of time.. so how bad could they be in a light quanity..
If a bucket like this is used on a hard surface.. with holes in the bottom.. it's likely not to drain out as the bottom rim will seal the water underneath it.. I've found to cut with a hacksaw or circular saw a wedge shape 1" x 1" out of the bottom/sides along the bottom edge... will give bottom and side drainage.. so you know if it's removed they are likely highly toxic and/or corrosive in such concentrations in the buckets... so be careful of it untill it's been rinced a few times before cutting handling and before use
gr8cayte
Round Rock, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7994741

Thank you GordonHawk! I have used 55 gallon drums cut in half and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage and they seem to work well so I'll try that with the five gallon bucket. I thought to put them on a bed of wood chip mulch so they can drain better. I've got my strawberries in agro towers on mulch and they have done great so far.

Cayte

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 8:51 PM

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 8:56 PM
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7994784

well...Cayte.. you should have no problem there then.. on the wood chips..be sure to take into account silting up of the holes with dirt...But anyone who can post that reply in the same minute I posted the response to your question ... should have no problems anywhere
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7996558

I use the buckets, and I drill holes on the sides, too, about and inch from the bottom edge. They drain better that way.
SigourneyBeaver
Pine Island, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8002844

If you've access to a pool, then I'd just toss the buckets into the pool to get most of the chemicals off, then give them a really good rinse. The longer the soak in the pool the better. That's what I did , anyway, and there has been no ill-effect to the plants I've grown in them. I go by the smell test, so if there is no remaining smell when you've cleaned the buckets, you should be good to go.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America