ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7994528

Hi folks,

I've actually got THREE Tarragon plants. One spindly one which survived the mildest winter we've had in years (usually they actually survive better than that) and two new ones I bought this year. None of them are doing particularly well in my garden and when I think of it, I've never grown the kind of lush plant that my daughter in Vancouver can grow in a pot (and she doesn't even like Tarragon). Doesn't seem fair!

Anyway, does Tarragon need a milder climate to really do well? Any tips for improving its performance in an Ottawa garden?

Thanks,
Ann

herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

July 25, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7994926

Ann, I grow tarragon well here in zone 5a in the northern Catskill Mountains in NY state. You don't say where your tarragon is located - full sun, good drainage? My French tarragon enjoys excellent drainage in a raised bed. It dies back to the ground each year, but in spring it pops right up and grows beautifully. It has full sun and gets a good amount of water, although the soil drains very well.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7994928

OK, time to find a good place for another little "pocket garden"... sounds like good drainage is the key! Thanks
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7994966

Quoting: does Tarragon need a milder climate to really do well?
The answer is no. It really dislikes our heat and humidity although this summer is the first time I haven't managed to kill a small tarragon plant off. It has not grown well because it doesn't receive a lot of sun ~ I believe. It does sit in a "high and dry" spot and I am hoping to keep it thru winter so perhaps it will be sturdier next year.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7994988

I think it has quite good drainage where it is, but maybe I need to move those three little plants to three different parts of the garden and see if I can find the right place. Full sun might be a challenge though as my garden is getting progressively shadier. Maybe a pot on the patio would be the best idea.
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2010
12:32 AM

Post #8001525

I have had mine in the ground for several years.This is the first year it really took off.Maybe it takes awhile to establish itself? Edge
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #8153948

I've never had tarragon survive. But a good substitute is Mexican Mint Marigold. The leaves smell just like tarragon and I used it in a chicken dish and it was great. They also make pretty yellow flowers.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8154731

I might look for that. All my tarragon in the garden died and the newest one which is still in a pot is looking pretty sad. I'm thinking I don't have enough sun left for it to do really well.
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #8155306

And now that I notice that you are living in Ontario, you might look at the growing conditions for MMMarigold! It grows well in Houston but not sure about cold hardiness. Good luck!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8156128

Tarragon is iffy for me as well, although two plants survived last winter and will hopefully be strong enough now to become staples in the herb garden. I also grew one plant of Mexican Tarragon (Tagetes lucida). Both the flower and leaves smell like anise. Haven't tried them in cooking, but I do intend to dry the leaves. I have read that a tea made from the leaves is relaxing, and the dried leaves are a smokable euphoric. Haven't tried either as yet, still enjoying the flowers. I am harvesting the seed if anyone is interested in any.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8170022

Ann, it has taken 3 years for my tarragon to start really doing well, and I'm barely warmer in winter than you. When I lived in Asheville, a zone and a half warmer, it flourished from the get-go. I wouldn't give up on yours yet.
ladygold
Houston, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8430318

French tarragon flourished in upstate New York (Fingerlakes); but I've never had any survive here in Texas. :( I love it though so I'm just gonna consider its an annual here.
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8434722

I bought two plants about four years ago, planted them in very poor soil next to the driveway and so far they both have come back every year (zone 5a also). This is one of the few spots in our yard that gets a fair amount of sun, so that might be the deciding factor. One of them does very well, the other is struggling a bit -- but I think that has more to do with the fact that my mother ran over it a couple of times!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8434814

Maybe that's what I need to do - plant them along the driveway where it's hot and dry.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America