ok i made it to this one too

Sarge
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7996539

Well, like how the new digs look. Hehe!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7996557

I'm back!!! Everybody head for cover!!!
I love the new digs, the old digs and the trail of ants in between. LOL
Vickie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7996601

Vickie, speaking of ants, I have had an infestation of them since spring. I have tried sprays, and stuff that supposedly they carry back to their nests to kill them, and they may work for awhile, but then they are back.

If anybody knows a good remedy, I am almost ready to move out and let them take over, since they seem so intent to do so.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7996830

defoecat,

Natural Citrus Oil Cleaner one day sprayed on the mound soaked good .

And the silica gel crushed and sprinkled on the mound will dry the mound out from the inside out .

Either one will work well . Both you must disturb the mound using a yard rake to break open the top so the ants will come to the top of the ground .

But be ready to spray or dust them and then leave the area . th next day they will be dead. ; > )

Sarge
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7996881

That is a problem, because they are coming into the house, and we don't know the source. If I knew where the mound was, it would have already been sprayed and destroyed and the pesky little critters with it.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7996979

are you talking about the Big Black ants if so try this ---vvvv

there is A big Bag of stuff called Sevin Made by : Garden Tech it is spreadable by a seed spreader and a big bag will cover about 8,000 sqft area it will kill 30 diffrent kinds of bugs in cliding several types of ants. the big black ants are Sugar ants wal-Mart has the sugar ant baits for them and the spray too.the Raid type is best spray the door seals in and outside good until you get the yard done with the graniuals it will last for a year or longer .

Sarge
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7997109

Welcome back, Vickie! I wish the negotiations with your DD had come out better for both of your sakes. I suspect she will regret all of this at some point in the future. Sooner or later, most of us realize what is really important in life.
I slept from the time I came home from church to now. I love my GC's, but they exhaust me these days. Nadine is home and settled back in. I was afraid she would melt when the heat hit her and want to get back on the plane to CT. But, she said if she has to deal with 100+ summer heat, she might as well do it at home where people are prepared for it. She said the recent New England heat wave was worse because many homes, even affluent homes, don't bother to install AC.systems.
We thought of you, Bonnie. LOL. There was a hurricane named "Bonnie" this season. I'm safe this year. I think they alternate male/female names now so "K" will be male.
Be careful with your thyme, Debra. I just discovered thyme attracts ALL sorts of little people. It seems a gnome has taken up residence in my front yard. Oh well, as long as it doesn't attract pink plastic flamingoes. LOL.
Susan, you've created a convert. Jim tried marinating chicken in buttermilk before frying and buttermilk biscuits. He is now reading the new cookbook put out by "Southern Living" magazine. Luckily, it has some reduced fat southern recipes in it.
Carrie, you should receive some plants in a day or two.
Glad you are still with us, Sarge. Kay* .
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 26, 2010
12:10 AM

Post #7997219

Bonnie, have you tried the brand Amdro? It is a little expensive, but we have fireants so it is worth it to us. (Jim)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7997524

Never heard of it Jim, but will look for it and try it. Thanks bunches.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #7997539

Kay,

I was checking the New Thread links for Deb when she was making them now I have to cypher the ones to stop watchen lol from the past . I guess I'll let them get old then get rid of them .

but the old heat like to have got me the other day but I am doing much better.

Sarge
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 26, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7997655

Hi y'all ...
Kay, sooo ... we're slowly converting him? grin

Vickie ... sending prayers ...

Debra ... how are your helpers and your yard? :-)

Carrie, are you getting over your trip?

I might not be posting too much for a bit. Next week I'll be leaving to get a new guide dog.
^_^
I have a thread over in the prayer forum I'll be keeping updated if you want to know what's going on. :-)

~ing to those I've missed.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7997866

RE ants in the house- I have used (can't remember the name of it) some liquid and bait that you put a drop on a piece of cardboard placed in an area along their path that will kill and deter them. I think it was poisen so it would need to be somewhere out of reach of pet or children.

Sheri
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7997873

Sheri, that is Taro, and I have tried that, only to have a new generation to return. Guess as bad as I hate it, I will have to go into the crawl space and see if I can find their nest.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 26, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7998037

Maybe spread some boric acid?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7998472

An idea that I hadn't considered. But where would you buy it?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 26, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7998487

I've seen it in hardware stores and some big box stores. You can order it online, too. Amazon has it listed from several vendors, including Ace Hardware.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 26, 2010
10:54 PM

Post #7999349

Yes! We survived another visit from the grandkids and our house is still standing. Hey, with 3 and 5 year old boys that isn't necessarily a given. lol.
Bonnie, sometimes, you can find boric acid very inexpensively in dollar stores. It is marketed in one of those containers with a spout to run along crevices. to deter roaches. Often it has "roach" as part of the brand name, like "RoachAway", but if you look at the label you'll see it is boric acid.
Susan, the guidedog school in Michigan? Excuse me! Leaderdog School. lol. I know from experience owners who go thru that school will often correct you, if you call their dog a guidedog. I'm told "guidedog" implies a different school. Usually the one in NY. I've heard there is a school somewhere in the south, but I don't know anything about that one. Kay's dog, Stanley, was a Leaderdog.
Debra, did the top growth on your glads go brown? That happened to all the large ones I moved. Kay said they aren't dead and will come back stronger than ever next year. I would like to find the secret of moving them without that happening though.
Carrie, the other plant in the package was a 'Spicy Globe' basil, in case the label was damaged. I didn't know if you had a long enough growing season to grow basil from scratch. It is good basil for eating. I say that because I sampled the cinnamon basil in Kay's fragrant garden and discovered some basils are more for aroma.
Vickie, the next cassette is on its way. Think I have a future as a harmonica player? lol.
Do be careful of the heat, Sarge. It is wicked right now. It has landed several people in the ER down here.
Kay and Nadi have been calling the gnome "Julius". I think that means he gets to stay where he is and will not be relegated to the bottom of the creek bed with the flamigo someone gave her. (And, no, it wasn't me that time.) But, still, what kind of name is Julius for a gnome. (Jim)
Photo: Julius in front of his house.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8000562

Bonnie, I think Amdro works by being taken back to the queen as food by the worker ants so you don't have to know where their bed is. The worker ants just have to know. It sterilizes the queen. It takes a few days to work and, as Jim said, is a little expensive. I guess in the end the method you choose will depend on how badly you want to avoid that crawl space. (grimace-y grin) Kay*
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8000579

Thanks Kay, I think I will look for the Amdro, and hope that it will do the job.

Sgt, take care in this heat. Many people here are suffering heat exhaustion.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 27, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #8001488

Jim, the tips of the growth did brown up, but the bases are still green. Kind of like my iris. But they will be fine come next Spring.

I like Julius. May have to see if his cousin will come to Texas for a visit.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8001921

Good grief ... I'm not doing good at keeping up. LOL

Jim, I'm off to FL this time. My dogs have all come from Leader, but the way it worked out I would have been there in the cold and didn't want to be without a dog that long so am headed south.

Kay, what year were you at Leader? I didn't know about Stanley?

Bonnie, looks like you've gotten plenty of suggestions on your ant problem. LOL

~ing to everyone. I'm just trying to keep things living. The tomatoes are history now. They sure were good though. I still have peppers. The neat thing about those is, I did them in the homemade Ebuckets, so if my new baby decides to bother them I can move them. In fact, that might not be a bad plan. Part of them are hot. :-)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 28, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8002488

What is an Ebucket? Might need to try here. :-)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #8002650

Debrah, let me find my pics. Will be back in a sec. In the meantime, here's a link to a great forum. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/boxgardens/all/
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #8002663

These are made out of 5 gal buckets. I got the idea from that forum or the veggie forum. I can't remember now.

Thumbnail by IO1

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #8002668

I hope I'm showing you the right pics. LOL I know they're my Ebuckets ... I think they're the ones where we put them together?

Thumbnail by IO1

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #8002676

Of course, those are back this spring when they were baby pepper plants and on my deck. They're big and out in the yard now. I'm getting lots of peppers now. :-) They're completely self watering also since the DH added a self watering system with a timer. LOL Easy peasy! Hmm, did I spell that correctly?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8002789

Oh, whaat neat buckets! Is the top tube to water the plant and the lower one on the side for drainage??
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8002876

Well, I found the boric acid at the Dollar Store today. So tomorrow's job is to tear apart the kitchen and put that around all the baseboards, and make sure all the food stuff it up and out of the way. Gosh, I dread moving the stove and refrigerator, as they are always so dirty behind them. But it doesn't get done often, and when I do it, I always feel so good about having even the unseen places clean. Will let you know how that does.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8002950

Yes, the top one I just stick the hose in, and the bottom is an over flow tube. All you need is a colender from the Dollar General, a 5 gal bucket, a piece of 1/2 inch PVC about 12 inch long and a piece of PVC 1-1/2 to 2 inch in diameter. You duct tape each bucket with a trash bag. It cost us approximately $9 total for each bucket including potting mix. :-)

I hope this makes since.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 6:45 PM
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #8002962

Here's where I read about it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1011889/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8004581

Whoops, this keeps coming OFF my watched threads!!!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 29, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #8004731

Bonnie, the Pulitzer Prize winning author and an expert, E.O. Wilson, once wrote that if ants ever acquire another few points of IQ, the human race will be in serious trouble. So, just remember when you’re struggling to pull out the oven and fridge that you’re doing it to protect the whole human race…….and we appreciate it. Lol.
Thanks for the info, Susan. That is a cool set-up. I thought at first you meant a topsy-turvy planter made with a 5-gallon bucket. Like those you hang that often have a tomato growing out the bottom and peppers growing on top. I think I will try your way.
It was over a decade ago that Kay trained with Stanley at the school in Rochester. She hasn’t had a formerly trained dog since Stanley died and she moved to the country. (Summer of ’97, I think.) Fenny handles snake patrol when Kay is working in the garden. Taterdog still insists on going with her when she is outside, but Tate is so old I’m not sure who is looking after whom. Some of the schools don’t like working with multipley disabled clients and Kay is officially classified as deaf/blind. Leaderdog didn’t have a problem with it though. I guess if Kay ever decides to retire me and the other sighted guides she uses when she goes out, we would probably be replaced with another Leaderdog. Hopefully, she won’t retire me for awhile. After all, I’m house trained and have never had a flea problem.
Debra, I think if I mail out any more glads, I’ll send smaller ones. They seem to take the move better. I’ve been collecting lots of those little bulblets that are loosely attached to the large bulbs. I will experiment with those, as well. See how long it takes flowering plants to develop from them.
Okay, Sheri, I’ll plan on oxalis and a few lilies. I’ll try to get as many oxalis bulbs as possible. They are almost guaranteed to grow and spread once they begin developing little bulbs among their roots.
Kay is off-line until I get her another sound card. I think I will move up to JAWS soon. I think that access program will work better for her. ZoomText is best for those with milder visual impairments. Not much gardening going on other than planting a few artichoke seeds. Other than that, we are just trying to keep up with weeding and watering while surviving the heat.
Blessings to all. (Jim)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 29, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #8004737

Jim, what kind of sound card do you need? We might have one at the office.

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #8005039

Jim, I am glad that you appreciated my efforts today. Had to laugh about that, but then when I actually thought of what you said, I have to admit that they do have a good work ethic!

I put the boric acid down behind the appliances, and the little crack that has appeared where the back splash meets the wall. Under the sink, and any other place that I thought it would be effective. I cleaned everything well, as I understand those little morsels that we hardly notice can provide a banquet for the colony. So we will see what happens.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #8005063

Jim, You crack me up sometimes!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8005257

Jim ALWAYS cracks me up! Maybe that's why I'm falling apart?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #8005531

Aw, carrie, don't fall apart yet. Seems every day, I have something different that is hurting or needs extra attention. DH and I joke that each morning is an adventure just getting up, taking an assessment of the body parts, and seeing which ones seem to be working and which ones will be on strike that day!! Sometimes too much excitement.

I know it is too early to tell anything about the effectiveness of the boric acid, but I have only seen 2 ants since I cleaned the kitchen after supper. If I were real brave, I would leave something out tonight and see how many thousands would be on it in the morning. Naw, think I will leave well enough alone.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8006909

I've heard about boric acid for ants before, but ants don't bother me nearly as much as the MICE do. Yikes. DD is horribly allergic to cats dogs ferrets all the other normal ways of controlling mice. DH is always putting out mouse poison and stuff but we're not great about keeping things wrapped up and hermetically sealed - those little critters can eat through ANYTHING!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8006921

Hay Carrie Just put a Small plate of Coke down for them to drink they can't burp they will fall over deader than 12 o'clock Noon ROTF ... put it out at night and pick it up in the morning just a lil bit on a small plate will do . and it is not expensive as all that other stuff .

Sarge
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 30, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8007164

Try duct tape, Carrie. It's what keeps me together. I wonder what people did before the invention of duct tape?
Debra, I like what you guys are doing out there. The longer we can keep some of that stuff out of landfills the better off we'll be. I've come to the conclusion that if you have enough tech to do what you want and need to do, you have adequate tech. I wasn't always that way. It used to be that I thought I had to have the newest gadgets and most powerful system available. The cumputer geek equivilent of an auto geek who wants a car that can go 130 mph and has lots of shiny chrome. :-)
FINALLY, we are harvesting the 'Friar' plums. It seemed to take forever for those to ripen. Delicious and there are certainly enough of them, but they are not as large as they could be. I will thin out the fruit more next spring and go for fewer but larger fruit. The ladies are debating the fruits fate. Nadine wants to make pickled plums, but Kay wants plum jelly. I could just eat them all fresh while they are distracted and save them the work. . (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 30, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #8007341

Jim, that's what the boss thinks, too. We pickup from corporations, 50+ school districts, people drop off here, and we are the residential recycling vendor for four municipalities. For the biggest one, we collected 608,995 pounds of electronics between December 2007 and July 2010. Our guys pull the most fun or vintage stuff they find and the boss displays his favorites in this case. While it ain't easy and none of us will ever get rich, it is certainly worthwhile and let's me feel "green" at home and at work. LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #8007757

Sarg, I don't have mice in the house, but DH does in the garage. Now if we can find a way to keep the dogs from drinking the coke, I think we are in business.

I am still seeing ants, but only 2 or 3 at a time, so I am thinking the boric acid is working. Hip Hip Hurray, I have spent gobs of money on all the guaranteed ant kill products, and a $2.00 big bottle of this may have been the answer all along.

Debra I wish I had a place to dispose of all the retired/dead electronics that have accumulated here. I do not put them in the garbage, because I keep thinking that someone, somewhere will find a way to recycle, or to dispose of them, that will keep them out of the landfill. As far as I know, there isn't a place close to me to do that.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #8007882

Thanks, Sarge. I will try that! My dog almost tore the house down trying to catch a field mouse that got inside. LOL. Kay*
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #8008277

LOL defoecat & Kay,

The dogy and Kitty can burp though he /she will be ok ... might have to put the lil one up for the night for a few nights . our Trixiy kitty did the same thing we had to do the same thing put her in the kitty car to keep her from drinking it made her mad cause she could not get to the mice .lol she cryed all night and had a fit .

Sarge
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 31, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #8008379

Hi, Bonnie. :-) One of the reasons it is so difficult to find a recycler pretty much anywhere is the cost of electronics recycling in the first place. Even those companies who just dump in containers and ship overseas have tremendous labor involved. (Anything we send out goes to a vetted downstream vendor, no landfill or trash). It's a headache, it's expensive, and, if not managed right, it's liable to get you spotlighted on national TV--and not in a good light, either. LOL

Looks like you are an hour or two from Lexington? Here are a couple of links that might help:
http://www.lexingtonky.gov/index.aspx?page=1766
http://waste.ky.gov/RLA/Pages/default.aspx

One of the things we do is work with small towns or rural areas to set up a periodic collection, like once a year or once a quarter. Everyone from County A can bring their stuff to Site X, etc. Kentucky might have a program to request such a service. Or maybe one of the private firms. Or you can get a big group of people together to load up a box truck or semi and take it all to a recycler in the closest larger town. Worth checking out, anyway, I think. The less land we use for trash, the more land we have for flowers! And peaches...and strawberries...and cucumbers...

I know this is all off topic, but lots of people have the same problem and don't know where to look for solutions...

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8008605

Debra, when they get to Bangalore or wherever (in a container ship) aren't they just land-filled there? We have a Dumpster in the driveway RIGHT THIS MINUTE and it is so tempting to fill it with stuff I know they would take for free on recycling day! We have a house and basement full of things we aren't allowed to put n the Dumpster like old washing machine old furnace old computers and printers and monitors and so forth. Have you all seen the "story of stuff?"
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 31, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #8008667

Lots of times they are just dumped, which is why the responsibility for due diligence is on the originator (us). All of the stuff in your basement is readily recyclable. The washing machine has metal and wire and plastic, the computers have wire and circuit boards and metal, etc. Monitors and televisions are problematic because the glass has a phosphor coating inside, which isn't good for much, and there is lead in the neck that could, possibly, leach into the soil. We have a vendor that reuses working monitors to make small televisions for third world countries. Permitted and all. The rest, we disassemble down to the screws. The glass goes to a lead smelter in the US for use in processing raw ore and the other materials are aggregated by type to go for bulk reclamation.

If you have someone who can load them up for you, Milton has a once-a-month recycling collection. Takes computers and appliances.
http://search.earth911.com/location/LmA0RGZ/?what=computers&where=milton%2C+ma&max_distance=25&country=US&province=MA&city=Milton®ion=Norfolk&latitude=42.2495435&longitude=-71.0661612&list_filter=all
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #8010019

We have a recycaling plant here. Tho i don't know what all they take. I know they took 5 truck loads of new tires that was faulty rejects from a factory. The rubber(or whatever) went one place and the wires in the tires went somewhere else.
I'm washing and drying clothes tonight and better go hang some up and put more on to dry. Have a great night and a sunny but cool day tomorrow.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8011997

Debra! How did you do that!? Isn't the 1st Sat of the month next Sat? Whoopee!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 1, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8012204

It is, Carrie. We are servicing a collection event that day ourselves from 9-12 for the City of Plano (just north of me). Bet it is cooler where you are than for us, though. Calling for 102 that day. Good thing the boss just put in a commercial ice machine at the office. Now I don't have to stop on the way in for bags of the stuff to chill the staff's bottles of water. LOL

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8012284

I've been to Plano! Visited the site of the TV show Dallas with my father whatever year the Sesquacentinial celebration was in Ft Worth. Those were some L o n g horned cows too on that ranch.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8012843

I remember “The Story of Stuff”. It caused a lot of controversy when it first came out. The far right was hammering it as “un-American”. Lol. I guess because it pointed out that there were problems in a consumer-driven, capitalist society.
I don’t know how anyone can look at the floating garbage dump in the doldrums and say we don’t have a problem. It is now said to be TWICE the size of Texas. Kay*
http://www.cdnn.info/news/article/a071104.html

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8012997

I saw "The Story of Stuff" pretty recently - our house has enough "stuff " for the floating garbage dump the size of RI all by itself.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8013208

How sad. Man is sure not doing a good job of being caretaker of this earth that God created is he.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 3, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #8017026

Nadine did her bit for plastic recycling. She painted some old plastic chairs and made them usable again on the front porch. There are flowers molded into the design of the chairs. One of the flowers on each chair is painted purple which isn’t in the scheme we were using. But, Nadi claims a touch of purple in her work is her “artistic signature.” Lol.
I had to do some plumbing work on “Old Yella”, a single-wide mobile home that came with the property. I thought I had made a great botanical discovery while I was working underneath. I found canna lilies growing in the complete darkness there. They were the palest of greens, but otherwise healthy. I was planning what I would do with the money I made selling this botanical wonder. I even had a name to market it under, the “Phantom Canna” How cool could you get! A canna that grew in complete darkness! Then, Kay came along with her practicality and burst my bubble. She informed me my Phantom cannas were in all likelihood “Vampire Cannas. That they were drawing the energy to grow through shared roots with the cannas that were in the light on the outside of the trailer’s skirting. Oh well, I won’t make a thousand bucks off them, but I still think it was cool. I left one under there that was in a difficult place to dig out. I want to see if they will complete their life cycle and flower under those conditions. The ones I dug I planted in a very shady spot where we normally grow mushrooms. Kay claims these will slowly return to their normal color, if they survive. I am curious enough to want to watch what becomes of them. (Jim)

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8018053

I always remember the line of one of the scientist in the movie Jurassic Park. “Nature always finds a way.” :-)
Yes, I would say praying for answers to our environmental problems are in order.
The others have given me to Sept. to get rid of some of the junk I’ve saved for projects. The place is beginning to look like a landfill. But, I’m not the one who saved the commode. Lol. It was decided the children’s playhouse garden needed a bathroom. So, the toilet is sitting there waiting for its makeover as kid’s garden art. Nadine wants to use the fill take part as a little bog garden for carnivorous plants. And, plans to fill the bowl with some sort of billowing flower. Petunias or Begonias, maybe. I’m holding Scraps and Sharon Brown responsible for this. LOL. Nadine stole ideas from something Scraps posted and Sharon Brown wrote in an article and ran with the ideas. Ran far out into left field. LOL.
Be afraid. Be very afraid. Nadine now has her own DG subscription. :-) Kay*

Photo: Jim calls it a spider lily, but I think of a flower that blooms in Fall when I hear the common name, spider lily. I think this is a Resurrection lily.

Thumbnail by Amargia

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 4, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8018192

Yep, it's a Resurrection Lily, although they are sometimes misidentified as Spiders. Spider lilies are more segmented and ethereal looking. This photo of one is off the 'net.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8018656

So what's Nadine's user name and where is she hiding? Come out, come out, wherever you are!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8018940

(From Nadine--using Mamma Kay's user name for the moment) Hey! I'm not that bad, Lovemyhouse. Don't let MamaK and PapaJ warp your perceptions of me. The others here will vouch for me. I think? Even if I didn't get around to doing some art for them I said I would. (What do you think? Will 30 lashes with a wet noodle suffice as punishment?) Registration says it takes 2 or 3 days to process a new membership if you pay for it via PayPal. I did. They are still processing my membership subscription.
Hi Carrie (& Sheri, & Vickie) I don't see Scraps. Is she still a member of Dave's? I love the way that lady's mind worked!
My user name is Sansai. I'll probably be hangin' on the Carnivorous forum and on the different Beginner forums when I'm not on Plantfiles trying to identify our mystery plants. Can you believe it! They expect me to WORK for my room and board. :-] This being an responsible adult stuff stinks like bad compost sometimes.
MK has put me in charge of the W/C garden which means I'll be over here bugging you guys from time to time. Papa Jim couldn't fix my old computer. I'm getting a new laptop...which is purple BTW.
Nadi
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 4, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #8019139

Hi, Nadi! Welcome. I look forward to your creative input. Will be asking your advice a lot, I think. LOL

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #8019173

Hi Nadi, They say being around bad company sometimes rubs off, so watch yourself, and if you see any bad habits forming, just back off a little. Hehe.

Always room for another face here.

Kay went to the Frankfort cemetery today, and no one was in the office. There is no point in me looking for the grave by myself, as the place is huge. I will either call and get a specific location, or go again when I am in town and hope that someone is manning the office. On top of that DGD was with me and wanted to take some pictures, since the scenery is beautiful, but the camera refused to cooperate, even with new batteries. So really glad that I wasn't frustrated standing in front of the grave with a camera that was inoperable. I will do this, I promise, maybe the moon is in the wrong phase or something, I have been having all kinds of misfortunes the last couple of days.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 5, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8019959

Bonnie, it's the solar flares. Disrupting EVERthin :-)

Debra
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8020343

It could be an infestation of gremlins, Bonnie. I'm almost certain I've got them in my computer. Don't put yourself out trying to find Papa Ron's grave. I'm pretty sure he isn't going anywhere.
When I have one of those stretches where everything seems to go wrong, I just sit down with my favorite funny movies and a pint of Rocky Road ice cream. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 5, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8020528

Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Clue, Murder by Death, Arsenic and Old Lace, Harvey, Top Secret, Born Yesterday, Spaceballs, The Ghostbreakers (Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard), Dave...any of those and Mint Chocolate Chip... :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 5, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8021601

After a really bad day at work, give me a big bowl of Moose Tracks and my Dragonheart DVD. (The original Dragonheart. I thought the sequel was lame.)
Nadi
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #8021746

Hi Nadi, Welcome! welcome! welcome!
My favorite movies usually included an animal. Remember Francis The Talking Mule.Black Beauty,Can't remember the name but the lost 2 dogs and cat that talked. The latest was the Chihuahua lost in Mexico.And just about anything by Alfred Hitchcock. Tho i did love Encounters of The Third Kind and ET, Oh and Starman.
Monday I have my eye surgery than 2 weeks later the other eye. Had to have a complete physical for the eye surgery. So i asked my doctor if i was in good enough shape to go camping across the US. He said Well! why not? Go for it.I am without a doubt the happiest woman in the world. He did make me promise to keep in touch with him. And to stay in State Parks and to write a log about it. It will be as much fun planning the trip as making it. Of course i've already got maps and liturature from most states and will send for the rest this week.I wont go untill November.I will be going south.
Has anyone heard from scraps? I wrote her but it came back as a wrong address. and i can't find her phone #.
Will write more tomorrow.
Vickie
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8022212

I havent Seen or heard from Scraps in a while

Sarge

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #8024530

SCRAPS! Stephanie!!!! Come back!!! D mail should get to her even if her subscription has lapsed ... if she still has a computer... oh no! And welcome, Nadi! We've all wanted to meet you for so long.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8024613

I lost my cell phone that had her # in it. I'm gonna check and see if it is in an old dmail.
She is probably just very busy with gardening, fishing and keeping her brother busy. She also has the 2 daughters who each need her at times. I know she loves to be outside and working on her new house & garden.

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #8024633

I'm on a Maxine jag this weekend.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8024700

I bet finances are really tight, as well. Things are especially tough in that part of the country. I'll send her a card. Her computer may be down.
I finally found a scented geranium. The citronella scented (Mosquito shoo) geranium. The front porch rail is lined with containers. I think that is a good place for it. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 7, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8024713

Kay, should help with mosquito repelling.

Debra
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8024760

Debra, Jim just described that photo to me. That cartoon would be ideal on a t-shirt for Nadi. She wants to know where the thermostat is for the big blue & green room.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8025145

OH-H-H-H Debra! I did'nt think i'd ever quit laughing. I made a copy to put somewhere prominately on my gear. YOU MADE MY DAY!!! I'm still giggling. Gotta remember to take an umbrella!
I had a citronella geranium a couple years ago. Don't know if it repelled skeeters but i loved the smell.
I forgot about D-Mail. I'll check mine too.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 8, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #8026486

Kay, would you like a few other scented geraniums? Maybe Chocolate? Or Apple? Cinnamon? Lime? Pineapple?

How are the thymes doing?

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #8026789

So who is this Maxine? I like.

Our washer finally broke for good. It was a dud from the start - we thought "Kenmore" meant quality but apparently these days it's just as likely to mean "K-Mart." And we got an old model (thrifty me, as always) so when the repair guy called it up he said "This is about 5-7 years old, right?" My MS brain just nodded. It's a year and a half old, during which we have bought NOTHING ELSE from Sears, and yes, I'm angry. The thing has never worked properly, and our old washer lasted 20+ years. Back when washers were mechanical and didn't have a mother board and an LED screen. Sigh . . . my sainted mother "found" $1000 in an old joint acct. so I bought a washer + installation and taking out the old one + delivery and a giant tub of He detergent and a service plan. I wish I never bought the Kenmore in the first place.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 8, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #8026993

About a year ago I bought a wringer washer from a man on craigslist - after watching for one for a couple of years. The other day I ran a search and there was another one - also on craigslist. I'll be picking it up in about ten days. We'll use the second one to make papercrete.

Now that I will have two I bought a replacement motor on eBay. Tony's mother used a wringer washer when he wasgrowing up so he's good a fixing the wringer when I dislocate it He'll even help with the washing. And hanging things up on my solar dryer.

No electronic washers for me, thanks.

kb

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8027002

Wow, I thought the old wringer washers used elec for the tub agitator and that the wringer was the only manual part. I Gues that is just because I was too young to do anything but watch the skinny flattened clothes come thru the ringer and wonder why so many buttons got broke.
that is a great idea about using one for papercrete!!

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #8029304

Since it is mostly PCAs who do the laundry around here - and occasionally idiot husband or children - I doubt I could train them, myself, to use a wringer washer, especially given the amount o laundry just I, myself, produce. Some of them have dreamed all their lives of coming to the US where we have indoor plumbing and electricity 24 hours a day!! Plus, solar drying would only work a few months a year. But I certainly appreciate your point! It broke my heart when our old front loader broke, and it probably would have saved us money in the long run to fix whatever-the -heck was wrong with it.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 9, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #8029421

I 0agree. I think trying to operate a wringer washer from a wheelchair would be a bit much as a challange. I only have to do laundry for me and the dogs. Maybe the biggest problem with the wringer washer is that I see how dirty the wash water gets!!

Encountered a toad in the big tub I keep water for the plants in yesterday. And a big mouse (or small rat) came down the wall while I was sitting here at the puter. Two screams in two days. Both mostly from being startled. I'm not usually real squeamish. I think the heat is fraying my nerves.

Must get back to my dirty kitchen.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8031722

http://www.gardengatestore.com/seat.html

I saw this in my email - it seems a little expensive to me but they do have FREE SHIPPING in the US only. It's just the thing DH would use if he ever had time to work in the yard any more. Anyway since this is the helpful hints thread I thought I would mention it. Katie, do you use brown water for your plants and stuff?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 10, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8031885

That's the kind of thing that, for me, would be one more thing to lug around annd not really worth the effort. I'll stick to rolling - no extra equipment required for that.

Yes, brown water all drains on different plants Because we have installed all the plumbing we have been able to direct the brown water to different areas. My outdoor tub waters bananas and an orange tree. The kitchen sin waters a mango and the flame tree. The washing machine waters a dragonfruit and some cannas.

hugs, katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 10, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8031912

P.S. we have also installed drain pipes for when we get our torrential rains. The water is diverted from the foundation of the house to the arroyo where we are building up the soil. In the last house I lived in when the torrential rains came and made deep gullies in the road next to my house, the water on my land all soaked in. It was amazing. Compost works. kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #8032061

Wonderful story; compost works. Yeah, I know what you mean about lugging it around but I thought some people might like it. DH would leave it out covered with compost to begin biodegrading and then be mad when he couldn't find it!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8032477

I can get rich soil anywhere in the woods. Nature fixes it for me.Katie wish i could bring you a couple loads of leaf mulch.
When one is young and tough Carrie,One can hang clothes out in freezing temps in Mass and the wind dries them in no time,
DD drove me to the eye docs today and ran into the back of a pickup on the way home.She just went to sleep. She thinks she may have sleep apnea. It does run in Als family.No one was hurt, tho i was a little sore. guess i grabbed the windshield shelf in front of me,The car just has a little dent. I think i'd better drive myself from now on.
I've always bought Kenmore things untill about the last 10 years. They all went to pot.
Now i have a whirlpool washer and dryer.
It was a little cooler today.Yeah!!!!!
Every one have a peaceful night.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 10, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8032542

Now that I have a small trailer we'll be able to go to the dump and rescue palm logs that usually get burned there. When the weather is cooler. And next spring we'll be able to get loads of seaweed when it washes in. We put it all through the shredder and get almost instant compost.

Locals regard me as kind of an oddball but they appreciate the results. I share my plants and my produce.

We are having infestations of ants. yuk.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010

Post #8034525

Vickie, I want some of your leaf mold too!

I fell asleep driving once - I had been up all night with cranky 1st baby and had jet lag and driving into the afternoon winter sun ,,, next thing I know the car was totaled. Baby and I were fine, due to modern safety equipment like CAR SEAT and SEAT BELT! When I think about it now, I sound totally bananas, to drive down a superhighway 45 min on an errand that I could have postponed a few days. Even someone without MS would be exhausted under those circumstances; for me, it seems almost inevitable, in retrospect. It was part of the "I don't *really* have MS; I just get tired, limp, wet my pants and fall over a lot" stage, but otherwise, I'm perfectly normal.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8034557

carrie, I have found that denying something like that is a recipe for disaster. It is not worth risking your life trying to prove a point. This spring when I was just home from the hospital, I wasn't strong enough to even walk the length of my house, but took the car and went to the bank which is just 4 miles from home. I had to stop 3 times on the way there, rest while I was there, and stop 2 more times before I got home. I didn't tell my DH because he had told me that he would go for me, but I was trying to prove a point, that I was strong enough to be back to my normal routine. Glad that nothing bad happened, but it could have. I am just so independent that I have never or seldom had to ask for help, and that is a hard thing to have to learn to ask for assistance with things that I had always done. Thank the Lord that I am gaining strength everyday, and almost back to my ornery independent self.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8034563

Sad, but true, Bonnie. I'm ornery and independent too and so is DH - we're quite a pair.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #8034616

My DH is only ornery when he is sick!! Guess sickness brings out that trait.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 11, 2010
9:57 PM

Post #8034801

Hello, Everybody. I noticed no one from Amargia has posted in a few days so I thought I would. Papa Jim has been working on lawn equipment and the air conditioner of his truck.. Momma Kay has been struggling to keep up with weeding and watering. She stays outside most of the day and the heat takes its toll. She doesn’t stay awake long after she comes in for the evening. . I’ve been housekeeping, cooking, painting gourds and making plant labels during the day and pushing the mower in the cool of the evening. (I can’t handle the heat well and sunburn easily.) I’m stuck with the push mower because Papa J. hasn’t forgiven me yet for running over a faucet with the riding mower when I was 14 and still learning to drive! (Strange thing is, he has no problem with my driving his truck. Go figure.) The push mower is alright though if I imagine I’m Godzilla and the grass is Tokyo. All the insects running away as I mow helps with that, roar.
We have a gray water system here too that takes care of some of the watering. This place is a strange mixture of rustic and modern. The water from the Jacuzzi tub runs into a simple irrigation trench that waters blueberries and ornamental shrubs. The w/c and the standing garden still need to be watered by hand. I think the plan is eventually they will have their own independent faucets and watering systems.
MK hates almost all the new household appliances because they have touch pads, instead of knobs and buttons that can be felt. Some of the new household appliances seem overdone even to me. I think the more complicated you make stuff, the more things there are that can go wrong with said stuff. There are like 30 possible settings for the washing machine. Who needs so many?
My pretty new laptop finally came in today. I should get to work initializing the new system and let MK have her computer back. I won’t miss “Paul”, the computer voice. He sounds like a bossy, know-it-all. Reminds me of my 8th grade math teacher. I have enough flesh and blood people in real space bossing me around! Don’t you think we should be treated like royalty in our personal cyberspace? lol. Hope everybody has a good night.
Princess Nadine, Undisputed Ruler of the Shiny, Silent Purple Computer

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #8034837

"what poor really means"

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 12, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #8035282

Princess, I bow to your wisdom and truth. Not felt much like posting, myself. Thank you for letting us know how they are doing. I am very glad you are there...Kay posted that she had Citronella Geraniums. I know where to get a slew of different scented ones. If you think she would like a few, let me know and I'll pick out three or four?

Debra
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8035716

Debra! My buddy! My pal! My friend! Yes! I would love to find a source of scented geraniums. I’ve given up finding anything but the citronella scented one locally. I’m not sure the nutmeg and the orange spice thyme are going to make it, but the others have begun to grow. And, Jim’s culinary oregano looks good. I demanded a from-scratch pizza for getting that one started. LOL. The awesome power of propagation!
Sheri, you have to give that person credit for their WEALTH of creativity. It is sad though that there are people in the world forced to such creative extremes just to survive.
Some would say my “gator shoes” (I think they are marketed under the name “Crocs”) are such interesting footwear. I’m not as bad as my nephew is about his though. He insists on wearing his even to church. My BIL said as long as he made it to church services, he wouldn’t make a fuss about the boy’s choice of footwear. They are amazingly comfortable and easy care. You can just spray them off with the hose and keep wearing them. Maybe, you could do an article on gardener’s fashion, Carrie. LOL. Don’t forget our interesting hats!
I hear you, Bonnie. There are a thousand things I need to get done outside, but I’ve pushed it so hard my body is pushing back. I’m taking the day off to give my poor old joints and hide a chance to recuperate. Just a lot of little aches and pains, but they start adding up. The leaves of seacane give something like paper cuts. A wasp sting and some ant bites. A heat rash. Achy knees and elbows. Knowing when to stop isn’t one of my strong points, but I’m getting better at it. Age is humbling. Oh well, I could probably use more humility. LOL. Kay*

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 12, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8035809

Kay, Chocolate, Apricot, Lime, Pineapple, Cinnamon, and Apple on the way...

Debra
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 12, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8035814

I believe it should be pointed out, in my defense, that Amargia’s purple princess ran over the faucet in the yard TWICE!!! A fact I could not help but notice her young ladyship failed to mention. Good thing she is such a Godzilla fan. The keys to my royal coach are off limits!!! She might flood the kingdom again and destroy my means of touring my realm.
King James, Highly Disputed Lord of the Realm of Amargia and Keeper of the Keys

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #8037891

King James, aren't you the one the people of the struggling Colonies rose up against, or was that a different King? George, Charles, James, they are so limited in their choice of names for the British Royalty. Now Princess Nadine, that's new, that's not something you hear every day. (Yesterday I wrote a diatribe on the difference between every day and everyday, anything and any thing, any body and anybody, etc. But it wasn't about GARDENING!)
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8038050

Hello. can I join the fray? I don't think I know anyone except defoecat.

Short version - I was bedbound for 6 months, in a wheelchair for 18, and have now started learning to walk for the last 8 months. I can now get out to the garden a bit (could NOT in the wheelchair as my land slopes badly) with some help and sitting every 10-15 min. I'm having to learn to do things a bit different... At my age I will probably never be back to my young spry self before all the mess so I'm learning to live with what I have and adapt.

I came here hoping to find some insights... I'm old enough to know that I don't have to learn/try everything myself... if something just doesn't work for others... why waste my time? *g

Thumbnail by renatelynne

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 13, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #8038087

Come on in! Welcome. We are all ages, shapes, conditions, and temperaments. One of us is BOUND to have something you can use. LOL

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #8038120

Ho there, c'mon in. As Debra says, we got a little bit of everything, and I not only have MS, I REALLY can't type. I'm keeping a list if real names and screen names on another thread, so if you feel ready for that, just let me know and I can add you. (My real name is Carrie, lol.)
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8038142

my name is renate lynn but most people call me nada and that is what I am called on a few lists here.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8038431

Do you want to be on the real name / screen name list, and what would you like us to call you? (That's two separate questions!)

Hey Nadine, or Your Royal Highness, or Nadi, same questions for you. (Am I on the right thread?)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010

Post #8038482

Nada, great to see that you found your way over here. I was thinking last night that I needed to invite you, since you are getting your independence again. Isn't that wonderful?

My limiting condition is failing sight. I have macular degeneration and the eyesight is failing on a visit by visit to the Dr. Another reason I am here, I was in the hospital for 9 days back in February, with something that started like an intestinal virus, and got so dehydrated that I went into renal failure. It has taken me many months, of doing small things every day, to try to increase my stamina. Oh, BTW, my kidneys are functioning fine, latest Dr appointment I am up to 95%, it is just that I was so weak, and home bound I am having problems getting back to my usual schedule of gardening.

Like you I am at the age where I will never be the same, and have as much energy as I once did, but I am here for the friendships and comraderie, and tips on gardening with limited vision.

So sit back, and if you have any questions, Jim and Kay and all of the others are good with tips that they have tried, and can help you avoid some tips that aren't worth trying!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #8038505

Well, hurray for Bonnie's kidneys! Three cheers!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8038522

Thank you Carrie. I will always have to be careful and limit the salt, and there will be periodic blood tests, and limiting some of the meds that I was taking for arthritis. That is the hard part, not having the level of comfort that I had achieved with the meds, which I not cannot take. Getting going in the mornings is hard, but after I am up and moving, I can sort of move around enough to work out some of the aches and pains. Now other days, the aches and pains don't get any better, and those are the days that I sit and read!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8038562

Darn, that must be hard, I do rely heavily on each and every one of my meds!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #8038749

thanks... yea call me Nada...

defoecat, sorry to hear about your sight. Mom only has one eye and it has a cataract She loves to read so we have been downloading books on tape for her. Docs don't want to operate since she only has one eye. They say once she can't see anymore they will do it then. It is really hard on her so I can understand a bit what you are going through.

You can see in the pic I posted one of the reasons I have so much trouble gardening on my land. It slopes a LOT. you only see about 1/2 the slope in that pic. It goes further up the other way. If you stand on one side you are above the garage on the other side. And behind the house it goes down.

Thumbnail by renatelynne

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 14, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8038979

Bet it is really pretty in Spring.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8039033

Debra, you are SO darn optimistic! Nada, yes, it slopes quite a bit, but I bet it is pretty in the spring ...
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #8039089

*g yea.. it is pretty in the spring... actually I like the look most of the year. Now that I can get to the deck (stairs and stairs to get to it so it was just too hard in the wheelchair). That pic was taken off the back deck looking at the back of the property.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 14, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8039324

Carrie, I do try. And I've been to Boerne. It is a beautiful part of Texas, but at its best in Spring, I think.

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 14, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #8039455

Oh, Bonnie, I’m so glad you recovered that much function. I lost my Dad to kidney failure. He had type1 diabetes. Kidney dialysis is rough and the diet is very restrictive. Trying to create meals for him that weren’t too boring is how I developed what cooking talents I have. I learned dozens of ways to flavor plain scrambled eggs.
Hi, Nada. I’m new here too. Well, sort of. I did a cameo appearance on this forum a year or two back with my cartooning when the people here were trying to come up with a t-shirt design idea. I’ll be “Nadine”, instead of ‘Nadi” to avoid confusion and In case I make a typo. It has been known to happen. lol.
Debra, isn’t John Wagner’s work awesome! I want to be Maxine when I grow up. ROFL.
Carrie, what do you think of a mole character to represent the visually impaired? (Moke in cool shades. Moles are by nature near-sighted.) A frog to speak for the mobility impaired who don’t normally use wheelchairs. (Frog with a cane.) And, a garden snake to speak for wheelchair users. If your work is real and honest (a.k.a. edgy) there is always someone who will think it is in bad taste. Even, Maxine has her critics. I figure, if the people the characters speak for, like and laugh with them, it works. I mean do you personally know any older women who don’t get a kick out of Maxine? I don’t know any single women my age who don’t relate to Cathy.
Vickie, I goofed. Your gardening magazine tape got mixed in with my vintage music tapes. I’ll get it in the mail Monday. I think I may do some volunteer work at the Talking Book department of the local library. I will always love the comforting feel of a book in my hand and that wonderful ‘book smell’. (I’m the daughter of a printer and grew up with the scent of ink and paper and the clatter of old style presses. Those smells and sounds are as homey to me as the aroma of fresh baked bread and the taste of chicken soup might be to others.) I’m listening to cassette and downloadable books more and more lately. That would be hard to avoid around here since Papa Jim listens to them open air. (Momma Kay uses wireless headphones.) Listening to a book is growing on me. Better than TV. That’s for sure…
I’ll try to get some pics on of what we’ve been doing this week a little later today when my Monster energy drink starts taking effect. Way too hot for coffee. BBL. :-)Nadine
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 14, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8039462

carrie, there was 'posed to be a GRIN right after the "...do try..." LOL
Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8040088

This older woman just LOVES Maxine. Glad you'll be Nadine. I always think of you as Nadine anyway.What vintage music tapes? I am vintage!!!LOL
The frog sounds way too cool. He'll have to be sophisticated(with a top hat and cane) LOL
Bonnie, i'm glad you recovered that much kidney function too.No wonder it's taking time to recoup.Thats a bit of a shock to the system.
Nada, Think you live in the Hill Country. Think blue Bonnets and beautiful old towns with german-swiss style buildings.October fests and wonderful german bands and polkas.Glad you're here.
I've had one of my cataract surgeries. The left eye will be sometime next week. Ya know i thought i'd walk out of the hospital and have perfect vision...Wrong. Everything was kinda blury till today. But boy is there a difference now. I can't beleive the difference.I've done nothing at all since the surgery. Tomorrow i've got to get back in my routine.
Nada, The doctors don't seem to want to do any cataract surgery till it's absolutely necessary.
Everyone have a great night.
Vickie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 14, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #8040625

No pics from Nadine today. She wanted to photograph one of the new raised planters outside, but it rained all day. Below is one I took of my newest effort at making weather proof labels for the trees, shrubs and perennials at Amargia. Kay’s recycled window blinds cut to size are fine for annuals, but the Braille labeling tape comes off after a while in our hot and humid weather. The info on those is written with a paint pen on one side and Brailed on the other.
Kay calls what I did a kind of “moontype”. I think that means using the visual English alphabet, but raised so it can be felt. (A lot of people who lose vision later in life have a problem learning Braille. (The raised letters were made with toothpicks, in this case. Glued and sealed with a clear coat. I’ll keep on experimenting. This works, but I would not want to do a lot of them. It is very time consuming and we have many plants. I will try some other methods of making “moontype.”
Debra, Kay says to check out Amargia’s plant list on any of our DG blogs. (Nadine’s, Kay’s or mine.) See if there is anything that would work in your garden. A “thank you” for all you’ve sent our way. I think she plans to post the list on the DG blogs tomorrow. FINALLY!!! She said she would put it up when it was finished. But, things are always changing. Plants come and go so it was never quite finished. Lol. I don’t think a garden is ever FINISHED. :-)Jim

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 15, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8041011

Jim, I'm not a religious person and don't use this word often, but I have been blessed with a job that pays me indecent money for what I do. Half the net goes to my sister to help with the grandkids and it still leaves me enough to live on myself--especially when my boss provides me with a company Prius and iPhone. :-) When I get depressed for any reason (a lot lately), coming here is the best remedy I've ever had and is deeply comforting. It is a delight for me to be able to contribute to Amargia, even if from a distance. Thank you for everything you and Kay and Nadine share with me and us.

Carrie and Vickie and Bonnie and Sheri and Sarge and anyone I missed--thank you, too!!

Debra
(My driveway and the neighbor's house.)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8041091

Debra,

DG Has and the folks on here have been an outlet for me as well . there are a lot of folks on here that I talk to both on here through out the day and night that help me with the simple things that i am finding out they have been going through that I myself am going through . bad days are not lived alone any more and I do not feel like I am by my self .

I do like the Friends that I have met on here

Sarge

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #8042131

Well, I am just checking in for the day. It has been a busy one, and one where I have not felt the best. I have a sinus infection, and the drainage is making my throat sore, so just not up to par. Well, it has been so long I have forgotten what par is supposed to be like.

I too am grateful for DG and the many people who I have met, and for people who have become more than internet friends.

I am glad that you have found a bit of solace here Debra, depression is something that can sneak up on you, and before you know it you are tightly in it's grip. I am prone to SAD, and the winter months are my bad times. That is why I try to stay busy, and I try to read and sew and do all kinds of things in the winter months. When I was working, I guess I was so busy that I wasn't bothered by much of anything.

Sarg, evidently the bear had not seen that sign yet!! Too cute.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8042806

defoecat,

That was a case of being at the right place at the right time.

Alaska, my brother in law took that Photo the Bear was playing by the sign wanting food from the bus as it came by and the driver stoped ... but looks like he fell on his butt dont it ...lol

Sarge

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #8042925

Oh, I thought that was a CARTOON! It's an actual photo?? Wow!!!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 16, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #8043513

I believe we have the Accessible forum due, in large part, to Carrie’s….uh-h-h…determination. Lol. She stuck it out here through thick and thin to keep it going. She seemed...uh-h-h…adamant there were enough people with physical limitations interested in gardening that this forum would come together in time. (Jim)
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8043579

When I first started with Daves Garden in 2006, I was pretty mobile. Now... *giggle not so much. I was playing around and found this group and am very glad I did.

some things I have found that help me

plastic chairs placed around the property so I can sit when I can't stand anymore

working on Railings for the stairs to make it easier to go down them without wondering if I'm going to go head first! *g

Built a ramp from the front door out when I was in a wheelchair and Mom uses it now.

More planters higher up

now if I just had the money to do everything I want (the money is to pay someone to do some building for me), I would have it all! *g

Thumbnail by renatelynne

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8044103

Nada, if that is your property in the picture, I can better see the slope that you were talking about.

Yes, if only we all had the money we need. I could have a beautiful garden year round, because I could hire people to pull the weeds and the heavy stuff. I can see me now walking around giving instructions to the legion of gardners, and complimenting them on the beautiful work, and for making me look good to all my friends and neighbors. Ha, that wouldn't be me, if I had money. I am more the hands on type, and I would be the dirtiest one of the whole bunch!!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8044259

here is a picture shown from my studio up the hill. On the other side of the studio it goes down more and on the other side of the house it goes up more. This was taken in 2004. Way before I even 1/2 finished the hardscape.

Thumbnail by renatelynne

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 16, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8044270

Nada,

How much of that stone did you have to dig up from your own property? LOL I love Texas Limestone.

Debra
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8044286

where you see the rock mortored I bought it... Where you see it dry stacked, I got it from the land. You know they grow rocks around here!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 16, 2010
10:41 PM

Post #8044476

We didn’t do much. Both Melinda (Kay’s DD#2) and Melinda’s own DD#2 had birthdays today. I learned that isn’t as odd a coincidence as it seems. When the obstetrician said he wanted to induce labor, she talked him into waiting a few days so the baby could be her birthday gift.
Debra, is that an agave in the photo showing your driveway?
Vickie, my tape collection is mostly old rock and folk music cassettes of my Dad’s I saved, but I have some Big Band stuff I got from my grandfather. A car is considered a “classic” if it is over 20 years old. Am I a classic now?
No rain today, but since we couldn’t mow for a few days the Bahia grass was sending up its victory signs. (That’s what PJ calls the V-shaped seed heads. I decided to wait until after I mowed and I put some flowers in the new planter before I photograph it. Some flower that will be a good companion to Brussels sprouts. I was thinking marigolds because I read they repel insects, but then I remembered my Dad saying NOT to plant marigolds in a veggie garden because they attracted ______ (something) Man! Gardening is not simple. I should have paid more attention. According to MK, some people believe the bright yellow ones attract Japanese beetles. Well, okay, but all the flats of them I see in stores ARE the bright yellow ones. ~sigh~ I think I hear Momma Kay’s “The Wonderful and Diverse World of Seeds” lecture coming. She would probably love to have some of those Texas rock seeds. :-)

Nada, I like the idea of having lots of sitting areas available in case someone gets out of breath from the humidity or dizzy from the heat. We have lots of those molded plastic chairs, but I need to come up with an idea for weighting down the legs to keep them from blowing over so easily
Carrie, how come you get to be “determined” and “adamant”? If I show those traits, he calls me “stubborn” and “bull headed.” Not fair! :-)
Sarge, the shot of the bear is worthy of a calendar. ROFL. ~Nadine~
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8044702

Sansai87,

lol thanks, the bear did get the drivers donuts lol he could not pas it up even though he told folks not to feed him .

Sarge
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 17, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8044867

Nadine, it's a yellow Iris. Wanted a different texture at the base of the Rose of Sharon tree. Think I'm going to move it, though. Have a dozen Baptisias coming and that strip would work pretty well for them. Been told the tap root on the Baptisias can go to 12 feet, so moving would be challenging. That strip is dry and heavy clay and rocky (think a previous owner had a big gravel parking strip there). I could plant and never do much to it again... :-)

Debra
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8045264

Been out this morning for an appointment, and back now, doing a load of laundry and trying to decide what to defrost for supper tonight.

It is a beautiful day today, temps cooler, less humidity, and the sun is shining. Even the dogs are liking this laying in the sun catching the sun rays.

Kay, I have wonderful news. I succeeded in getting a picture for you from the Frankfort cemetery. It is a gorgeous site, right on a high hill, overlooking the Kentucky River, with the state Capitol Building in the background. This cemetery is so pretty anyway, with lots of trees, well maintained, and I loved the quiet, as I sat on a small bench just taking in my surroundings. I will print them out and get them in the mail to you in the next day or two Now, R. Campbell can have a proper monument in your house and you can visualize when you honor the veterans. Hugs to you.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 17, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #8045452

That's a BIG iris. It could be I just haven't seen those yet in a fully mature state. MK had a hard time deciding where the iris collection should be. She kept moving and dividing them before they had a chance to flower. Hopefully, they have found a permanent home in the Cando garden. I will finally get to see them full size and know what colors we have. A lady had us dig up her iris collection when she moved into an assisted living apartment complex. She had quite a collection and she wanted to be able to at least visit her "babies."
I have some idea now of what MK looked like as a kid on Christmas morning. MK was sitting on the kitchen floor opening her package of scented geraniums. She would snif one and offer it to Fenny to sniff. Fenny Dog shares Kay's passion for scented plants. We have to watch her or she will roll in the lavender. Fenny Dog, that is. We haven't caught Momma Kay rolling in the lavender YET. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 17, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8046035

Nadine, thank you. Have had a distressing week and the picture you painted of Kay with the geraniums made it much better.

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8046269

Jim, thank you very much for your kind homage. It's true, I did have a vision of a forum where all gardeners with all disabilities would feel welcome and could support each other through good times and bad, and I think we have created that here together. YAY US!

Sorry about your bad time, Debra.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8046512

Bonnie, thank you so much. One day I’m going to have to get up that way. Uncle Ron always spoke lovingly of where he grew up. I would like to actually see the places he spoke of.
Ron Campbell preferred to live in a simple, minimalist way. He didn’t leave many traces of himself behind, except in the hearts and minds of the people who knew him. I only have a few photos of him. The place you describe sounds like a place he would have liked.
Debra, my favorite was the Cinnamon scented. Although, it smells just like oranges to me, not cinnamon. The sense of smell can vary dramatically from person to person. Fenny is a connoisseur of scent. She preferred the lightly scented pineapple. In fact, she ate a leaf. Probably because that one smells like a wild plant the locals call Indian or sour grass. (A plant most Texans call sheep sorrel. Rumex acetosella.) I know sheep sorrel is actually good for dogs in moderation. My brother and I even liked to chew on it when we were kids. Similar smells usually mean a very similar chemical composition. Neither she nor the plant is any the worse for it anyway. But, I will hang that one out of her reach for the plant’s sake. Fenny has been known to love plants to death. If I ever have another dog, it is going to be something tiny like a Chihuahua Lol. Fenny is more like a Marmaduke. Hope things improve for you soon.
Nada, Boerne is in the foothills, right? Near San Antonio? Kay*
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8046622

yep. just north of SA.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8047105

Nada, your ideas sound great! Eventually, I'm going to write an article about gardening with disabilities/aging/life and I'm going to glean ideas from everyone.

Nada, do you want to be on screen names/real names thread?
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8047152

yea. (names/real names thread) you must have missed that last time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #8047582

So sorry, Nada, I just want to be totally sure that I don't stick anyone on there who doesn't want to be there. I'm glad you're "one of us!" Not that being on the thread makes you more "one of us" than otherwise; quite the contrary, I would think.

Somehow I think that those of us who just blather along saying whatever comes into our heads probably suffer less than those who just lurk, because I know they're out there. What do you think?? Do the silent, unknown members of this forum (they are there, and they are just as much members as the rest of us) lose or gain from their anonymity?

Also, I was thinking, other forums - the Iris, Coleus, Dahlia, Daylily Forums, or TX, CA, other geographical ones I can't think of - they all have their own individual banner, the screen that shows at the top of the forum page when you first limp over. That might be a place for Nadine's cartoon ideas, although all the other banners I've seen have things, not people, ie they don't focus so much on he GARDENER him/herself as ours would. There's not really a plant unique to all disabled gardeners, is there?
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #8047733

I don't know that a poor disabled plant could live very long. Most of us have to adapt quickly to what cercomstances happen... plants take years to adapt.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 18, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #8048622

Now you've done it, Ladies. Nadine is drawing flowers with disabilities. lol. A sunflower on crutches. She was inspired by you and the way Kay stakes up the Russian Mammoths. The flower heads are so heavy on those they have a tendency to fall over.
I found some black metal wire baskets with coconut fiber liners on sale today. The stairs to the porch are black metal with wooden treads and there are quite a few wrought iron accents in the beds and borders nearby. I think they will be an addition that will fit in smoothly with what is already there. I don't know any reason the new scented geraniums couldn't go in them. Does anyone know something I don't.? (Nadine, Sweetie, don't even think about writing the asinine comment that I'm sure just popped into your head. Remember, you still need me for transportation. )
Carrie, maybe we blather on so much the lurkers don't think they could get a word in edgewise. lol. Or, maybe they think some of us are really as scary as we sound? lol. (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 19, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #8050393

I’m the stereotlypical blond meaning easily confused. (Well, dark strawberry blond, if you like things precise so I’m the subject of redhead jokes too. Let’s go here to get the Practical Matters thread woven back together right. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121489/ This thread is getting long anyway for someone on dialup. Maybe Cando1 is over there waiting for us. Either that, or she’s out camping. ~Nadine~
P.S.--I’ll put the planter pic there.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #8055670

Sarge, you are SO busted. That photo you assert that your Brother In Law took in Alaska, is NOT an original. You pilfered it, and I just saw it last night.

I don't like to be lied to, and sir you have just insulted intelligent people.

What a sad state that people have to lie about such innoculous things.

Either you apologize for trying to snooker this group, or I will report you to administration.

Either you leave this forum, or I do.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8056073

My Post Was to you As Per Quote:
" defoecat,

Alaska, my brother in law took that Photo the Bear was playing by the sign wanting food from the bus as it came by and the driver stoped ... but looks like he fell on his butt dont it ...lol

Sarge"

I Posted Exactly what My Brother-In-Law Had Told Me ! Thank You Very Much It Was A picture I recived from Him in an attachment with his other photos from his trip in alaska.

and he told me i could use them or post any of them if i wished too he assured me they were his very own photos.

now if there is a link that has this photo that you would like to provid then I will address the issuewith Him And apologize to the Group but NOT for the Deseption I Have done BUT for NOT KNOWING IT WAS NOT HIS PHOTO TO GIVE !

However You Have no right to insist that I Am the one that has decived any one Much less Lied to any one on this Thread or Group or any other as far as that goes ! I have done My best to post and be truthful in All my postings or Correct them in a timely manner.

SARGE I AM WATEING
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8056087

Okay, I will provide the picture. It was sent to me in an email, and no one purported that it was an actual photo.

Think we have locked horns before, and SIR, I think you are trying to be a flim flam artist, but it won't work on me.

Oh, and BTW (that's by the way if you don't know abbreviations, I DON"T have to prove anything to you.

I have already reported it to Administration, and IT IS NOT YOUR FIRST RUN IN WITH THEM!! You have been warned before not to post photos that you didn't have rights to. So, I do know a thing or three.

Sorry folks, I will be back when SARG is gone.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8057238

Ret_Sgt_Yates wrote:defoecat,

Sarge

Actually, that photo is not new, and probably not your brother's: http://www.google.com/images?q=watch%20for%20ice%20bear&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1041&bih=779

Here is what our Terms of Use states:

Quoting:You are solely responsible for the Content you submit or make available for inclusion through the Services ("Member Content") and the consequences of posting or publishing it. You represent and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize DG to use all trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all Member Content to enable inclusion and use of the Member Content in the manner intended by the Services and the Terms of Use; you agree that you will not submit Member Content that violates these Terms of Use.

Please let this be a very clear warning to everyone who has re-posted (or is tempted to re-post) any cute or funny photo or story you get via email, another website, or from another post here at DG. These rules are very clear: don't do it unless you own it or you have received all the necessary permission from the photographer or writer.

It may seem harmless to "copy" someone else's work without permission, but it is theft. Don't place yourself or us in the awkward position of receiving a take-down demand from the copyright holder.

Further, don't compound the problem by insisting the photo is yours (or whoever passed it to you, unless you are absolutely, positively, beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doub) certain they are the originator of it AND you have their express, written authority to republish it). We may need that authorization and if you don't actually have it, you just embarrass us and yourself.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8057322

Thank you Terry for reiterating this part of DG's terms of use.

I always ask the owner of a picture if I may share it before doing so. That is just plain courtesy in addition to the legal ramifications. Trying to take credit for someone elses work seems like a childish sneaky thing to do also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Best wishes to everybody. I know I have not written much lately.

~Sheri
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #8057367

Thank you Terry,

I Will Address the issue with my B-I-L And Sorry that it was issued to the group as an photo . There are photos of my sis &The Family with the same Fram Lines around the photos as well and after reciving them I did ask to use them and did revive permission to use the photos from their "Alaska trip" I did not attempt to discredit or steal the photo . again sorry . and i will address the issue .

Sarge
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 24, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8060547

23 of the last 25 days at or above 100 degrees. Record-tying highs on Sunday (105) and yesterday (107). My poor plants are shriveled and brown and really really pitiful looking. Was feeling unhappy because lots of new plants aren't going to make it. But, then today it occurred to me. No mosquitoes! Too hot to be outside, but if I could--no bites!!! LOL And it is a little exciting to think about October and November, seeing what did survive when it pops back up. Have 15 Route 66 and 15 Sienna Sunset Coreopsis, 10 new Gauras, and about 20 different Baptisias coming early-mid September, so there will be lots of fresh 'stuff' to replace what dried to straw. :-)

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8061954

Debra, I'm semi sorta jealous of your flowers. I may have to get a few. I don't know why, I'm still going camping. I've cut it back to just Okla and Clovis NM. And they don't have any live flowers in yet for fall. I did find some red and yellow silk dahlas at Wally world for $2,00
ya know I have'nt seen any mosquitoes either.
Have a great day tomorrow.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8062144

Wow, that's hot! Good evening, ladies.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8064646

I feel an urge for a campfire coming on, and we're under a noburn warning. Maybe i'll light a couple of candles. Have you ever roasted marshmellows over a candle? LOL
Went to the dollar tree today after seeing the eye doctor. Their Halloween things are in.
Guess i'll have to get my fall follage out. Maybe it'll give me more incentive to clean house.
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #8065102

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I just love dressing up my yard.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8065988

I love decorating for Halloween but Christmas is my favorite. I decorate every room in the house. I would do outside but no one ever goes by,so i put it for me to injoy.
I carved a pumpkin one year but it only lasted a couple of days, so now i use ceramic ones,and window clings.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8066969

I've started carving dried bushel gourds as my jack-o-lanterns for that reason. You can even save them from year to year, if you like. They also make perfect heads for scarecrows. I get a kick out of making unusual scarecrows. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #8070662

Any chance we could switch so we only have ONE practical matters thread? This is making my head hurt! We're those crabby people who unscrew our light bulbs so people leave us alone on Hallowe'en!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 30, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #8070784

I'll try it again, Carrie, but I'm just a youngun' and a sort of newbie. No one ever listens to me. Maybe, Momma Kay or Miss Vickie should do it with the weight of authority that comes with their years. lol.
For what it is worth...Click the http below to find the newest Practical Matters thread. ~Nadine~
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121489/
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 30, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #8071033

Please do not post on this thread.

kb
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #8071054

Did she just call me OLD!!! I say we go get her. The Granny Goons need to teach her respect for her elders. I will make a scarecrow that looks like her and post the photo. :-)
Vickie, just make sure the candle you roast your marshmallow over isn't a scented one. Not that I would know that from personal experience, of course. Nope. Not me. I wouldn't do anything that silly. Kay*

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America