General Discussions - 2010 - Chapter 33

Wake Forest, NC

Let's start fresh on my 23rd Anniversary of being 29!!! LOL

Me and the Hog! The only "livestock" I've had in awhile other than some dogs.

Thumbnail by KentNC
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Well...Happy 23 Anniversary then, Kent!!! Does that make you 27? HA!! Nice Hog. Is she "the other woman"? My hubby has a 72 Nova about the same color as your Hog. I swear he HAS to go out into the garage to "pet" her!! She is the other woman here LOL!!!

Connie

Dahlonega, GA

Same age as my son .

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Kent I like that kind of livestock. you don't have to feed or be back at a certain time to milk either. just make sure she is ready to go when you are. lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hummmmmm must be for retirement in the winter since he has plans for a produce farm in the summer. Probably collecting maps etc. With a rig like that he could even go to some places in the north. LOL, be sure to chain up.

Wake Forest, NC

Connie: that's it...the OTHER woman!! LOL

digger: we're just youngsters!

Russ: she seems eager!!! Just got back from a quick trip to the store for some bacon. Told her to just look the other way!! LOL......Got my personalized tag on order from the DMV: LUVAHOG

Jeanette: I do want to take a trip North and West....Navy buddy retired to Spokane. Gotta get out his way before too long. Beautiful country we have out there if I would just take the time to see it. 3 more years and retired from LEO...Stay tuned.

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You are really going to retire huh? One of the fellas that just got 23 years in the sheriff's office here in the county is running for sheriff this year. They figure he is a shoo-in because the current sheriff is endorsing him. He has lived in the county all his life and training and aiming for this job.

You don't have any aspirations like that? One of his opponents is an ex-Border Patrol with all kinds of training and experience also. Should be an interesting race. Believe the primaries are in August.

Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette: nope, no political aspirations at all. I won't quit working, just not LEO any longer. Who knows what I'll get myself into. LOL

Dahlonega, GA

Time in, and old enough to retire , young enough to enjoy it . Way to go !

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I always said we have it backwards. Should be retired when young and work when old. Problem with that is young doesn't have the money to play.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Just wanted to let you all know our bales are doing wonderful. Thanks so much for the info and help. Although we had a set back in the beginning, the bales are catching up with the regular garden fast and they are about a month apart. Tomatoes are not ready from the bales yet but we have picked a few from the garden and "oh, my goodness"! Jnette, those beefsteak are just awesome!!! We are so excited about this and already planning for next year. I am looking for some Supersteak, Cherokee Purple, Roma, jalapeno, any sweet and juicy watermelon and cantaloupe seed. (sugar baby?) If anyone has extra, please d-mail me and tell me what I need to do for some. I will have some beefsteak, Heinz and Habanero (Scotch Bonnet orange) seed to share. Oh, yeah...neighbors are so curious they are now asking if they can go in our backyard to see what we are doing. Guess the binoculars don't get close enough LOL!!!

Thanks again :)

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Connie, you are so funny. You and the neighbors. But fun.

Haven't heard from you for a bit and were wondering how it was going. Glad the bales are doing better. Hope the summer holds on for a while. Mine are really late this year also because of the long cold spring. So, maybe our summer will make up for it. We can only hope.

I might have Jalapeno seeds for you, depending on the loooooonnnnnggg hot summer. LOL

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Jnette...All of this is so awesome!!! Of course, I don't have enough coming ripe at one time to can and we are sharing with all of the neighbors as the veggies become ripe. Most of our neighbors are retired and they appreciate the food so very much :) Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside...Aaaawwwwww :) So, of course we are planning for next year and definately going to expand. Lovin' it Girl!!!

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, watch out Connie, you are going to get in the same trap as Russ over there in Iowa. His elderly neighbors sure did enjoy the fruits of his labor also. And it is wonderful that you are getting enough to share. But, how much would you have to grow to be able to can?

Don't overdo and work yourselves to death. LOL, it is good to keep active however.

So glad you are enjoying your garden.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Uh oh...do I need to think twice about that?

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I try to put up at least a bushel of tomatoes for sauce, another bushel & half for juice and a barbecue type sauce & salsa. Freeze around 15- 20 doz ears of corn. I put up 3 bushels of canning pears, about a 3rd. went into jelly and pear butter. I wish I had canned more of them as we are out of pear halves and now the property the pear trees were on has been sold and the new owner cleared the property and removed the trees too. The property had set vacant for several years. Oh well.
Then of course freeze as many carrots as I have left after a couple of frosts. I like to can several large pumpkins, either for use in pies, or pumpkin bread. I also like to pick choke cherries, wild plum and high bush cranberry for jelly. If the wild plum are nice big ones they get pitted and canned whole. Yes we don't need that much jelly, but it lasts and the grand kids and great grand kids love it. Then the apples, freeze some can some. This year we had a frost while the trees were in bloom. No fruit in those areas. Including all of mine.Don't remember how many beets and beans I done, but I'm out of pickled beets and still have a half doz 1/2 pts of beans. We ran out of pickles too. Barb says she is going to try help this fall.
I know I left out a bunch of other things but that is enough to give an idea. Of course a lot of it is used for family get togethers. It's work but I like the reward.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So Connie, are you going to try to keep up with Russ??? LOL, not me. I will do roasted tomato sauce, some pickles, pickled beets if I can get some. Few other things and that is it.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

??? LOL Are you crazy? LOL!!! Russ...how many Wal-Mart sacks equal a bushel? LMAO!!! Y'all need to vacation at my house and get some good laughs with these friendly neighbors here. Had another one show up this morning and when she left, she had already decided she was going to do it next year along with the # of bales and what is going in each one. Now understand that this town in less than 2000 people so somebody is gonna get talked about and we are it! Thank goodness the bales are looking so good. See why I was worried in the beginning, Jeanette? I knew this was comin' :)

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Connie, you are so funny. Sounds like you are having a great time with your bales and the neighbors. I think you should talk to Suz. Pick her brain and take notes and try the hay bales next year. Let the neighbors do straw. LOL Aren't I awful?

I think that would really be fun. Get your source lined up now. Farmer? whoever. Do you have any of the little nickle or exchange freebie papers? Those are a great source right now. Also, Craigs list might be another place.

You could use your current bales for mulch if you have some place for them, and prepare your hay bales by leaving them in the weather this winter. Ask Suz.

I would not tell them about your secret site here. LOL

A lot to think about this winter. BESIDES SAVING SEEDS!!!

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Never measured with Wal-Mart shopping bags but probably about 5, a little more or less.
Ha Ha I'll have to check a map, we have friends near Spring Field IL.
also a DD & Hubby close to Des Moines,( Creston)
I'd probably blow your neighbors mind with my Prickly Pear cactus jelly. lol
I have a few planters with them just waiting to stick a finger or worse. Then I have a few places in the hills around here that I can pick all I want.
I can usually get enough for 9 or 10 pts. of jelly.
I let the Lutheran minister here taste some he thought it was pretty good, until I told him what it was. Don't know why but he pushed it away as fast as a Baptist minister would a bottle of hooch. Had quite a chuckle over that.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm so tickled, I can't hardly type! Oh, Jeanette...Who and where is Suz? I need an instruction booklet for my next venture...Hay, Probably need step by step pics too (snicker) Done threatened hubby to keep his mouth shut or I am shipping him to Russ' house to pick prickly pear cactus for that next batch of jelly.(grin)

Might need that prickly pear jelly recipe and use it as gifts to hand out as neighbors enter my backyard. Wonder if they would act like that minister or come back for more lol.

Connie

Owensville, MO

hi russ jnette & all . just got back from mississippi (new albany) just as hot in miss as it is in MO. got lots of pepers& toms . the rest is about gone. its late so talk latter jim.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

She's on here. Suz??? Connie, go back to the last chapter. Do you know how to do that? Up in your right hand corner where it has a search field, type in chapter 32 and when it comes up, scroll down to her first post. Think it is June 22. Then you can D-mail her or whatever.

She is normally on here, but is probably out there picking all of her beautiful produce. She swears by hay. Think she started 2 years ago. She might have the dates of her first growing season and she was so enthused in her posts you really should read how she did all of her gardens.

She will have you ready to plant right now. LOL

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Had to laugh a little an Barb wanted to know what I was laughing about, so we were both at the computer, going over some of the posts.
I'll have to look a little harder for the recipe. Thought I had it stored on the puter but couldn't find it. I have a hard copy though, so will have to re-write it. ( later )
Russ

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

This will be a new game of "Where's Suz" played like Where's Waldo except we will be lookin' for her in a maze of hay bales.

I was joking on that recipe but by gosh I "think" I have a prickly pear cactus!! Can't be.

Hey, Barb!! Come and have a good time with us :)

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Russ, what were you and Barb lookin' at? Cartoons? What was so funny? Tell us so we can all laugh. Connie, Barb is the one that got this whole thing going here. I don't know what I said but she came on and asked me for some melon seeds. Been a few years now, and then that Russ took over the whole thread. She can't get a turn at the computer.

I think he writes on the computer and she is the one doing all the canning etc. He just wants us to think he does it.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I'll be....I thought Kent started it. You did good Barb, 'cause I'm lovin' it and it works :) Sorry about that.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, I didn't mean Barb started the forum. Nope, Kent surely would be mad at me if I said that. No, just where she and Russ came into the forum. We've had a lot of interesting times since then. Had a lot of interesting people, some dropped out after trying the bales one year.

It's been fun tho.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, gotcha! He needs to let her out of the closet more lol.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I think he has her tied to the stove. He just keeps bringing more and more produce home. Like he said.

Really just kidding Connie. I actually think Russ does do all that canning, and he enjoys it.

Russ, you need to post that nice picture you did before of you and your family. Some of your family.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 9:27 PM

Dahlonega, GA

Hey Kent , Look what's growing in my left over hay bales .Beefmaster, and have to have a 6' ladder to get to the top . Oh , thank you for these threads , and it's going to be tomato sandwiches for lunch
If they keep growing , and we do have at least ten more weeks this season ,then I'll be walking around with hives from all the bounty . sally

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 7:42 AM

Dahlonega, GA

OOOps , try again

Thumbnail by digger9083
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally, did you grow that in a dairy crate? That's beautiful.

Dahlonega, GA

Yes, another pic showing crate

Thumbnail by digger9083
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That's amazing. Wonder how deep into the ground the roots go??? I told you I planted peppers in mine. Once the slugs got it thru their heads I was not planting them for them, took Diatomaceous Earth, they left them alone so the peppers are now doing pretty good.

Dahlonega, GA

I'm going to do the five gallon bucket collars next year if I can't get bales.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Well Jeanette; I guess that could make a cartoon, Connie shipping her Hubby off to pick cactus fruit.
Don't get me wrong, Barb does cook. An I enjoyed it for many years.
But the baking an canning is pretty much up to me. While I was working construction, all those 19 an 20 hour days, we would have gotten mighty hungry if she didn't.
But yes I do the canning and baking. and we alternate back and forth on cooking the meals and doing the dishes. After all were " both " retired.
I do enjoy baking and I blame myself for the excess padding on the places we didn't need it.
Sally you must have gotten into Kents stash of Miracle-gro. That's some mater patch. Almost as overgrown as the squash and melons in my garden. I wanted to put up a trellis for the squash, of course I didn't get it done. I didn't even get one made for the cucumbers either.

Today was mostly gadding about. coffee at the Barn, went down to the next town south of here to play dominoes at senior meals from there we went on down to Omaha to pick up our friend at the air port. He had spent 5 weeks in Germany, on business and with family.
I did manage to finish another wind chime set.
the county fair is on now and I want to send some with Tami & Gary, they have a booth an that's a chance to sell a few.
Maybe next year I may have to make more. lol

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Very nice, Sally! You grow in hay bales too? Please tell me all about it :)

Well, there's your cartoon. Do ya think a large flat rate will work? Picture that one LOL!!! While he is there in between
picking the cactus, please teach him a little on cooking and washing dishes. On a good note, he has been home due to a shoulder injury and he has really taken a liking to gardening...FINALLY. I am very proud of him for starting our garden by seed and continuing with it. I have always loved plants and wanted a garden, now after being married for 30 years he finally got interested in it. If it took that long for a garden, by the time he gets to the dishes, I will be too old to care LOL!!

Oh, please post a pic or two of your wind chimes. Would love to see them :)

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Great hobby for when he retires Connie. Then he can learn to can like Russ does. Get him a couple of seed catalogs (they don't cost anything) for Christmas. LOL

Dahlonega, GA

Connie , after moving to Georgia 20 years ago , I tried to grow toms and couldn't get a decent plant ,so just quit . Then along came Kent a few years ago and I've had beautiful toms on the table since . Last spring I couldn't get bales , so just planted in the leftover compost of bales from year before . Not as pretty , but better than putting them in the ground .
I don't know what the deal is ,but I haven't had the bugs this year .Last year , I would go out and clouds of white bugs would fly off the toms and the underside of leaves would have millions of those red bugs covering them. sprayed two or three times a week. This year , no bugs.Killed five hornworms this year , that's it .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.