-
AuthorContent
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

July 25, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7995853

Let's start fresh on my 23rd Anniversary of being 29!!! LOL

Me and the Hog! The only "livestock" I've had in awhile other than some dogs.

Thumbnail by KentNC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7995889

Well...Happy 23 Anniversary then, Kent!!! Does that make you 27? HA!! Nice Hog. Is she "the other woman"? My hubby has a 72 Nova about the same color as your Hog. I swear he HAS to go out into the garage to "pet" her!! She is the other woman here LOL!!!

Connie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7996033

Same age as my son .
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 25, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7996144

Kent I like that kind of livestock. you don't have to feed or be back at a certain time to milk either. just make sure she is ready to go when you are. lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7996283

Hummmmmm must be for retirement in the winter since he has plans for a produce farm in the summer. Probably collecting maps etc. With a rig like that he could even go to some places in the north. LOL, be sure to chain up.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

July 25, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7996413

Connie: that's it...the OTHER woman!! LOL

digger: we're just youngsters!

Russ: she seems eager!!! Just got back from a quick trip to the store for some bacon. Told her to just look the other way!! LOL...Got my personalized tag on order from the DMV: LUVAHOG

Jeanette: I do want to take a trip North and West...Navy buddy retired to Spokane. Gotta get out his way before too long. Beautiful country we have out there if I would just take the time to see it. 3 more years and retired from LEO...Stay tuned.

Kent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7996505

You are really going to retire huh? One of the fellas that just got 23 years in the sheriff's office here in the county is running for sheriff this year. They figure he is a shoo-in because the current sheriff is endorsing him. He has lived in the county all his life and training and aiming for this job.

You don't have any aspirations like that? One of his opponents is an ex-Border Patrol with all kinds of training and experience also. Should be an interesting race. Believe the primaries are in August.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

July 25, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7996688

Jeanette: nope, no political aspirations at all. I won't quit working, just not LEO any longer. Who knows what I'll get myself into. LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 26, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7997460

Time in, and old enough to retire , young enough to enjoy it . Way to go !
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7997754

I always said we have it backwards. Should be retired when young and work when old. Problem with that is young doesn't have the money to play.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8009703

Just wanted to let you all know our bales are doing wonderful. Thanks so much for the info and help. Although we had a set back in the beginning, the bales are catching up with the regular garden fast and they are about a month apart. Tomatoes are not ready from the bales yet but we have picked a few from the garden and "oh, my goodness"! Jnette, those beefsteak are just awesome!!! We are so excited about this and already planning for next year. I am looking for some Supersteak, Cherokee Purple, Roma, jalapeno, any sweet and juicy watermelon and cantaloupe seed. (sugar baby?) If anyone has extra, please d-mail me and tell me what I need to do for some. I will have some beefsteak, Heinz and Habanero (Scotch Bonnet orange) seed to share. Oh, yeah...neighbors are so curious they are now asking if they can go in our backyard to see what we are doing. Guess the binoculars don't get close enough LOL!!!

Thanks again :)

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #8010111

Connie, you are so funny. You and the neighbors. But fun.

Haven't heard from you for a bit and were wondering how it was going. Glad the bales are doing better. Hope the summer holds on for a while. Mine are really late this year also because of the long cold spring. So, maybe our summer will make up for it. We can only hope.

I might have Jalapeno seeds for you, depending on the loooooonnnnnggg hot summer. LOL
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8010137

Oh, Jnette...All of this is so awesome!!! Of course, I don't have enough coming ripe at one time to can and we are sharing with all of the neighbors as the veggies become ripe. Most of our neighbors are retired and they appreciate the food so very much :) Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside...Aaaawwwwww :) So, of course we are planning for next year and definately going to expand. Lovin' it Girl!!!

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8010998

LOL, watch out Connie, you are going to get in the same trap as Russ over there in Iowa. His elderly neighbors sure did enjoy the fruits of his labor also. And it is wonderful that you are getting enough to share. But, how much would you have to grow to be able to can?

Don't overdo and work yourselves to death. LOL, it is good to keep active however.

So glad you are enjoying your garden.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #8012000

Uh oh...do I need to think twice about that?
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8014117

I try to put up at least a bushel of tomatoes for sauce, another bushel & half for juice and a barbecue type sauce & salsa. Freeze around 15- 20 doz ears of corn. I put up 3 bushels of canning pears, about a 3rd. went into jelly and pear butter. I wish I had canned more of them as we are out of pear halves and now the property the pear trees were on has been sold and the new owner cleared the property and removed the trees too. The property had set vacant for several years. Oh well.
Then of course freeze as many carrots as I have left after a couple of frosts. I like to can several large pumpkins, either for use in pies, or pumpkin bread. I also like to pick choke cherries, wild plum and high bush cranberry for jelly. If the wild plum are nice big ones they get pitted and canned whole. Yes we don't need that much jelly, but it lasts and the grand kids and great grand kids love it. Then the apples, freeze some can some. This year we had a frost while the trees were in bloom. No fruit in those areas. Including all of mine.Don't remember how many beets and beans I done, but I'm out of pickled beets and still have a half doz 1/2 pts of beans. We ran out of pickles too. Barb says she is going to try help this fall.
I know I left out a bunch of other things but that is enough to give an idea. Of course a lot of it is used for family get togethers. It's work but I like the reward.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8014191

So Connie, are you going to try to keep up with Russ??? LOL, not me. I will do roasted tomato sauce, some pickles, pickled beets if I can get some. Few other things and that is it.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8014303

??? LOL Are you crazy? LOL!!! Russ...how many Wal-Mart sacks equal a bushel? LMAO!!! Y'all need to vacation at my house and get some good laughs with these friendly neighbors here. Had another one show up this morning and when she left, she had already decided she was going to do it next year along with the # of bales and what is going in each one. Now understand that this town in less than 2000 people so somebody is gonna get talked about and we are it! Thank goodness the bales are looking so good. See why I was worried in the beginning, Jeanette? I knew this was comin' :)

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #8014485

Connie, you are so funny. Sounds like you are having a great time with your bales and the neighbors. I think you should talk to Suz. Pick her brain and take notes and try the hay bales next year. Let the neighbors do straw. LOL Aren't I awful?

I think that would really be fun. Get your source lined up now. Farmer? whoever. Do you have any of the little nickle or exchange freebie papers? Those are a great source right now. Also, Craigs list might be another place.

You could use your current bales for mulch if you have some place for them, and prepare your hay bales by leaving them in the weather this winter. Ask Suz.

I would not tell them about your secret site here. LOL

A lot to think about this winter. BESIDES SAVING SEEDS!!!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8014550

Never measured with Wal-Mart shopping bags but probably about 5, a little more or less.
Ha Ha I'll have to check a map, we have friends near Spring Field IL.
also a DD & Hubby close to Des Moines,( Creston)
I'd probably blow your neighbors mind with my Prickly Pear cactus jelly. lol
I have a few planters with them just waiting to stick a finger or worse. Then I have a few places in the hills around here that I can pick all I want.
I can usually get enough for 9 or 10 pts. of jelly.
I let the Lutheran minister here taste some he thought it was pretty good, until I told him what it was. Don't know why but he pushed it away as fast as a Baptist minister would a bottle of hooch. Had quite a chuckle over that.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #8014600

I'm so tickled, I can't hardly type! Oh, Jeanette...Who and where is Suz? I need an instruction booklet for my next venture...Hay, Probably need step by step pics too (snicker) Done threatened hubby to keep his mouth shut or I am shipping him to Russ' house to pick prickly pear cactus for that next batch of jelly.(grin)

Might need that prickly pear jelly recipe and use it as gifts to hand out as neighbors enter my backyard. Wonder if they would act like that minister or come back for more lol.

Connie
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

August 3, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #8014838

hi russ jnette & all . just got back from mississippi (new albany) just as hot in miss as it is in MO. got lots of pepers& toms . the rest is about gone. its late so talk latter jim.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8015393

She's on here. Suz??? Connie, go back to the last chapter. Do you know how to do that? Up in your right hand corner where it has a search field, type in chapter 32 and when it comes up, scroll down to her first post. Think it is June 22. Then you can D-mail her or whatever.

She is normally on here, but is probably out there picking all of her beautiful produce. She swears by hay. Think she started 2 years ago. She might have the dates of her first growing season and she was so enthused in her posts you really should read how she did all of her gardens.

She will have you ready to plant right now. LOL
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #8016021

Had to laugh a little an Barb wanted to know what I was laughing about, so we were both at the computer, going over some of the posts.
I'll have to look a little harder for the recipe. Thought I had it stored on the puter but couldn't find it. I have a hard copy though, so will have to re-write it. ( later )
Russ
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8016334

This will be a new game of "Where's Suz" played like Where's Waldo except we will be lookin' for her in a maze of hay bales.

I was joking on that recipe but by gosh I "think" I have a prickly pear cactus!! Can't be.

Hey, Barb!! Come and have a good time with us :)

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #8016816

Russ, what were you and Barb lookin' at? Cartoons? What was so funny? Tell us so we can all laugh. Connie, Barb is the one that got this whole thing going here. I don't know what I said but she came on and asked me for some melon seeds. Been a few years now, and then that Russ took over the whole thread. She can't get a turn at the computer.

I think he writes on the computer and she is the one doing all the canning etc. He just wants us to think he does it.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8016851

Well I'll be...I thought Kent started it. You did good Barb, 'cause I'm lovin' it and it works :) Sorry about that.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #8016962

LOL, I didn't mean Barb started the forum. Nope, Kent surely would be mad at me if I said that. No, just where she and Russ came into the forum. We've had a lot of interesting times since then. Had a lot of interesting people, some dropped out after trying the bales one year.

It's been fun tho.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8017023

Oh, gotcha! He needs to let her out of the closet more lol.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #8017053

I think he has her tied to the stove. He just keeps bringing more and more produce home. Like he said.

Really just kidding Connie. I actually think Russ does do all that canning, and he enjoys it.

Russ, you need to post that nice picture you did before of you and your family. Some of your family.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 9:27 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 4, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #8017392

Hey Kent , Look what's growing in my left over hay bales .Beefmaster, and have to have a 6' ladder to get to the top . Oh , thank you for these threads , and it's going to be tomato sandwiches for lunch
If they keep growing , and we do have at least ten more weeks this season ,then I'll be walking around with hives from all the bounty . sally

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 7:42 AM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 4, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #8017397

OOOps , try again

Thumbnail by digger9083

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8017799

Sally, did you grow that in a dairy crate? That's beautiful.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 4, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8017837

Yes, another pic showing crate

Thumbnail by digger9083

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #8018660

That's amazing. Wonder how deep into the ground the roots go??? I told you I planted peppers in mine. Once the slugs got it thru their heads I was not planting them for them, took Diatomaceous Earth, they left them alone so the peppers are now doing pretty good.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 4, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8019179

I'm going to do the five gallon bucket collars next year if I can't get bales.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8019188

Well Jeanette; I guess that could make a cartoon, Connie shipping her Hubby off to pick cactus fruit.
Don't get me wrong, Barb does cook. An I enjoyed it for many years.
But the baking an canning is pretty much up to me. While I was working construction, all those 19 an 20 hour days, we would have gotten mighty hungry if she didn't.
But yes I do the canning and baking. and we alternate back and forth on cooking the meals and doing the dishes. After all were " both " retired.
I do enjoy baking and I blame myself for the excess padding on the places we didn't need it.
Sally you must have gotten into Kents stash of Miracle-gro. That's some mater patch. Almost as overgrown as the squash and melons in my garden. I wanted to put up a trellis for the squash, of course I didn't get it done. I didn't even get one made for the cucumbers either.

Today was mostly gadding about. coffee at the Barn, went down to the next town south of here to play dominoes at senior meals from there we went on down to Omaha to pick up our friend at the air port. He had spent 5 weeks in Germany, on business and with family.
I did manage to finish another wind chime set.
the county fair is on now and I want to send some with Tami & Gary, they have a booth an that's a chance to sell a few.
Maybe next year I may have to make more. lol
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #8019422

Very nice, Sally! You grow in hay bales too? Please tell me all about it :)

Well, there's your cartoon. Do ya think a large flat rate will work? Picture that one LOL!!! While he is there in between
picking the cactus, please teach him a little on cooking and washing dishes. On a good note, he has been home due to a shoulder injury and he has really taken a liking to gardening...FINALLY. I am very proud of him for starting our garden by seed and continuing with it. I have always loved plants and wanted a garden, now after being married for 30 years he finally got interested in it. If it took that long for a garden, by the time he gets to the dishes, I will be too old to care LOL!!

Oh, please post a pic or two of your wind chimes. Would love to see them :)

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8019464

Great hobby for when he retires Connie. Then he can learn to can like Russ does. Get him a couple of seed catalogs (they don't cost anything) for Christmas. LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 5, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #8019606

Connie , after moving to Georgia 20 years ago , I tried to grow toms and couldn't get a decent plant ,so just quit . Then along came Kent a few years ago and I've had beautiful toms on the table since . Last spring I couldn't get bales , so just planted in the leftover compost of bales from year before . Not as pretty , but better than putting them in the ground .
I don't know what the deal is ,but I haven't had the bugs this year .Last year , I would go out and clouds of white bugs would fly off the toms and the underside of leaves would have millions of those red bugs covering them. sprayed two or three times a week. This year , no bugs.Killed five hornworms this year , that's it .
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8019827

Ya know, he just might show some interest now in those seed catalogs. Canning is a different story lol.

Sally, Jeanette mentioned to me about maybe growing in some hay bales next year and we would like to try a few if we can find some hay bales. I am not sure how much the "technique" would change up from straw to hay because of nutrients in the hay bales. Hubby made a comment he is worried about sticker bush seeds in the bales of hay. Afraid they would grow along with the plants. Has there ever been a problem with that? Same process on cooking and fertilize less than straw? It sure does look good Sally, and we can help you pick off those "maters" :)

Connie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 5, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8020012

The heat should kill any undesirable seeds . What the heat doesn't kill is easy to manage . I'm death on Johnson grass , don't even like to see it growing within ten miles of my place . I haven't had any problems with sticker stuff , except a few plants came up from seed a foot from the bales . I loosened the ground with a spading fork and pulled those suckers up by the roots, all five of them .
I'd go with hay instead of straw because it breaks down better and doesn't use as much water . the straw is course and water leaches right out of it .I had beautiful toms but tried hay and that's the way I'll go . Now , if we could just convince Kent to try a few . I love to water , and get some private time sitting with a hose in my hand , and can't overwater toms .
Go back to the earlier threads and get directions from them . Great .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8020374

You couldn't find Suz Connie? She seems to be the one that grew best in the hay I think. If you are serious about wanting to try it I would look at the pictures she posted when she first started and you will drool. LOL
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #8020411

Is this who you are talking about? SuzanSkylark Didn't want to send a d-mail until I knew I had the right one. Was hoping she would read the posts and reply. Bet she is too busy reaping the fruits (and veggies) of her labor of love :) If not, I will try to go back and read all of the chapters which will take awhile. I did read early posts of hay/straw and other methods which get confusing as some worked and some didn't. Pretty mind boggling and it's not hard to boggle my mind lol. I did pick up (I think it was from you, Jeanette) that you won't have to fertilize as often because there are nutrients in the hay as opposed to no nutrients in the straw. Did I do good? HA!!

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #8020632

LOL yeah Connie. Yes she is the right one. She might be on vacation or something. She normally would have come right on. You can just put in her name in the search too I think her stuff will list and you can find her hay posts that way. I think.

She just started either last yeaqr or year before so that will give you a clue what to look at.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #8021462

These are the Super San Marzanos that I use instead of Romas. They are good for sauce and salsa. Very meaty and good flavor.

Thumbnail by Jnette

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8021564

WOW!!! Those look a whole lot better than the Roma! Where did you order the seed? Before long, you will be in that kitchen making some good stuff :)

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #8021755

LOL, I got the plant from my sister. She has a greenhouse. But, I have always planted the regular San Marzanoes and then they came out with these Supers that are about 2 inches longer and somewhat bigger around than the others. Think they are new this year and she probably got the seeds from Totally Tomatoes.

Actually in the picture I posted some of them are about the same size as the regulars and looks like they will ripen at that size.

But, my Early Girls are really turning on. I can't remember why but I planted the EG seeds later than the others and they have surpassed the others in the number and size of any of the others that I started from seed. Did I send you any EG seeds? If so, did you save any of those plants?

In this country the best thing is a greenhouse. We have such a short season. And, I would get one but I just don't have enough open space from the mountains and trees to get enough sun for one. And people I have talked to around here who have them say our sun doesn't have the right kind of rays so you need grow lights even in a greenhouse.

Sounds weird doesn't it? My sister just has a wide open spaces from 3 sides so she gets lots of sun.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8022210

That is awesome! I got my scotch Bonnet from Totally Tomatoes. Want some? I got Beefsteak (YUMMY) and Heinz (YUMMY AGAIN!) from you. Oh, those Heinz are smaller but very juicy and have an excellent taste. I am cleaning seeds from some tomatoes to and share with Russ and Barb. I know they will love them along with some Scotch Bonnet. VERY HOT!!!! That is why I was wanting Jalapeno to make salsa with. We have a pretty short season also but we do get a lot of sun here.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8022606

Would love some of the Scotch Bonnet seeds when you get some. I would love to try some SB jelly. The Jalapeno jelly is sooooo good. With pork steak. Try it, you will love it. I am trying some Burning something peppers this year. Can't remember their name. They are new. Look like Habaneroes but not near as hot so you taste the pepper. That is what I like in peppers. A bite but love the flavor of peppers. Especially roasted.

We made some Roasted Red Pepper jelly last year and it is wonderful. Especially with cream cheese on Hi Ho Ritz crackers. Jalapeno jelly is good that way also. Try it.

I am just full of ideas for a lot of work for you aren't I? LOL
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #8023176

I have GOT to have some of those recipes, "Mrs. Betty Crocker"! I absolutely LOVE to cook and try new things. Mom never had a garden so this is all new to me. My Grandmothers on both sides canned but passed away when I was very young. I just canned dill pickles and got so very excited. Don't have a tried and true recipe but I used Mrs. Wages mix and went with it for now. I am so proud :) Hubby's Mother used to make Jalapeno or pepper jelly and our son loved it. I never got the recipe from her.

Our neighbor (hee, hee...yes...that one, Jeanette) says she puts about 2 TBSP of Scotch Bonnet Juice in her salsa and says it gives just enough of an added favor and a little more heat.

Our Scotch Bonnet peppers are ripening and I would be honored to send you some.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 6, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #8023309

Aspen , I use the recipe on the sure jell liquid packs , only use about five times the pepper . If I don't seed it before processing , it's a little warm . Be sure and wear
surgical gloves when seeding and a grapefruit spoon makes easy work of it .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8023839

Sally, I was going to try those this year. Do they turn out like jelly, or do they have any courseness to them? I like mine not chunky, but with some thicker pulp.

In the recipe forum last year someone posted a Jalapeno recipe that everyone thought was awfully good. I think I copied it. I will see if I have it and post for you. I think sally is right. The heat from the peppers is a real personal thing. Seems everyone likes a different "temperature" so only you can decide how much of the pepper to put in. And seeds. Also, I guess the "ribs" (can't think of the right word) that make the walls, of the peppers, are the hottest part along with the seeds of the hot peppers. LOL, I have never done a comparison test.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #8024332

I put the peppers in a processer , then pulse it . That way I can control the fineness of my chunks . I freeze what I don't use , to make more next year .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8025412

There you go. Good idea.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #8025544

Five times...don't know how hot that would be. We might end up being a Jalapeno on a stick! LOL Does that make an extremely hot jelly?

Connie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8025643

Not if you take the seeds and membrane out . It just gives more flavor . I've done it both ways . Hot when we want it , mild at other times . We eat it the same way jnette does , Ritz crackers with cream cheese or as a topping with chicken or pork .
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8025672

I looked up the recipe online and it looks like a winner. My son can't get it hot enough. Sweat will pour down him as he happily eats away :) He loves habaneros. Now hubby and I will eat taco sauce or salsa Medium and that's as far as we go lol.

Connie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 8, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #8026264

It's an aquired taste . First jalapeno hamburger was a nightmare . Some jala's are mild and some so hot, I won't , no , can't eat them
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8026589

One day when I came to work there was a large grocery bag about a third full of them. I showed it to my boss telling him a lot of women get flowers and look what I got. He looked in the bag and just dove in. Started popping them in his mouth, one after the other like popcorn. I was shocked. He said when he was in college, he and his roommate lived on them. Said they fried them. But, when you cook them I think they lose a lot of their heat.
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

August 10, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #8030642

RANDBPONDER WHAT DO YOU MAKE YOUR WIND CHIMES OUT OF? JIM.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8031102

Hi; Jim; I am presently using 1-14" electrical conduit for the tubes. I am cutting them in lengths from 16.5" up to 23.75" and they range between those measurements for the other 4 tubes. I'm using a 1/4" plastic for the disk to hang them on and weed wacker line from the support disk to the tubes. and I cut out different designs for the sail weight, which is also from 1/4" plastic. I sand the tubes, treat them with vinegar and paint them. Mostly with gold paint. I have used blue but they don't go as well.
You can use polished aluminum tubes or hard copper. but you are spending more than most are willing to pay.
And of course you have to find the right location as to the right height to drill the hole to hang them, to get the tone you want.

Thumbnail by randbponder

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8031116

I made one that is a lot longer, it sounds great but it is so heavy and has broken the support strings several times. I have it now hanging with stainless steel wires. they seem to be holding up.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8031129

Russ, those are really cool. I bought one for a $ years ago at a garage sale but it wasn't put together. I have all the parts but can't figure out how they go. The tubes are aluminum. Looks like fish line to put them together. I will try again and ask you as I go. Maybe I can finally get it together. LOL, I think I have had it almost 20 years. Yup, that long and still in the box.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #8031131

LOL, where would you hang one that big? I know, on a barn.

Why blue??? Is that the only color you paint them?

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 9:07 AM
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #8031588

No blue don't appeal to many. I like the silver and the gold.
I started out using a fish net cord but that proved insufficient.
A good wind would wear the cord and the tubes would be laying on the ground.
And yes a fishing cord would be great for aluminum tubes. There would be almost no weight to support.
I'll D mail a kind of arrangement on how to balance the whole thing so it will hang fairly level
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8031759

No, Russ, I didn't say I didn't like the blue. Just wondered why you picked it. Thought maybe other colors wouldn't cover or something.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8032173

No good reason I just thought I would try it.! I do like blue but it isn't as appealing as I thought be.
But I think any color would work in your straw bale garden to keep the bunnies alert. lol
Just kidding but I haven't seen as many bunnies back here. But then there are 6 mean and lean feral cats sticking around for a hand out once in a while. They aren't quite as wild as when I first saw the momma.
They eat anything that comes in the yard except the neighbors dog.
I've been getting an excess number of squash. I may have to check out more recipes. I've had them baked, fried, roasted with other veggies even made them into bread and pies. Well they are a yellow veggie which are good for us, so not complaining.
I've brought in enough cucumbers that I need to make some bread and butter pickles. I will have to wait till late evening to do that job though. Don't want to heat up the house that much, I will probably put a fan in a window and suck some of the heat out. Oh well!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8032184

Thanks for sharing pics of the chimes with us. Very nice job!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8032275

I read thru the instructions. Now I need to get the parts out and do some measuring. I don't know what size they are. Should be fun. I'm sure I am going to have some questions for you. LOL
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8032443

I think this may be a pic that you requested. Barb & I & Hanna one of our great granddaughters

Thumbnail by randbponder

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 10, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #8032833

Sweet , Russ , and sure a nice pic of Barb . How many great grand kids you have now ?
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 11, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8033071

Hi Sally; Just got word last night, that there was another born yesterday. That makes 21 great grand children. they only told us
the baby was here and weighed 10lb.
That was the text message to Connie our Daughter. " what's wrong with calling and actually talking"
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 11, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8033099

Tee hee , ten pounds ? Tell her I sure am glad it was her instead of me . ! Congrads , Gramp and Gram .Russ , that Connie was eating too good . Hope all are doing fine . Ain't those little boogers wonderful ?
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #8033127

What a wonderful pic! Congrats on the new G.Grandbaby :)

Connie
SuzanSkylark
Pipersville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #8033696

Hey there- here I am! Was wondering why my ears were burning!! Nice to be thought of.
I must admit that, when I lost my helper, I got a bit overwhelmed in my garden- the bales are fine, but the thistle, etc. is so thick and it's been pretty dry and very hot, so I've not been able to get it under control. I'm going to start saving $5/wk so that next year I can take down all my fencing and have a big plow come here to level the whole garden space. . . at least, that's my plan. A neighbor gave me a large amount of very heavy black fabric (used under fish ponds) that I can cover the ground between the bales- just didn't get it in time for use this year.

Good to hear that everyone's having a wonderful garden year, and so good to hear from you, Lena!!! Good luck with your garden! Try some haybales this time - at least half. You'll never go back to straw!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 11, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8033875

Amen on the straw . Hi , Suz .
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 11, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #8033980

Oh it wasn't Connie, it was her daughter. "Jenifer" LOL Gotta give the right one the credit. Connie would not have survived that ordeal, Connie has the blocked artery in her brain.
That would be a nope not her.
Suz You may have to try cutting the thistles off just below the surface. Then put clear plastic down to cook all the weed seeds. That should take care of them. but if you do the leveling of the garden. there will be an all new bunch of weeds come up. Maybe even more thistles. Really think thistles calls for drastic measures, after your garden is done. Got to kill them clear down to the roots.
If you are careful you can do spot kills on the thistles now with a good weed killer. That won't affect any of your garden produce. Which ever way you choose, you just don't want any of them to go to seed.
Of course thistle blossoms make a great tasting jelly, snicker snicker
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8034330

Wow so much on here since I was busy all day. New baby text to you Russ!! LOL, I know what you mean about picking up the phone. Oh well, welcome to the new age.

Suz, did you get the thistles from the bales? Hope not. Russ is right. If you till that up you will have 10 times the weeds and probably thistles.

Leave it to Russ to think of something to cook from the thistle. LOL
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

August 12, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8035185

Russ: congrats on another addition to the clan!

Kent
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

August 12, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8035348

randbponder -jnette -kentnc & ALL MY PUTER WAS DOWN 3 days . big pain. congrats on new granddaughter. got up to early. going to take a nap. good looking wind chimes you got. see you latter. jim.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 12, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8036317

Well it took long enough, but finally found out it was a boy. The baby's Grandmother left a message on our answering machine.
I kind of like calling her a grand mother, she takes it so well. lol

We were in the city longer than either of us planed on. I got a call that the parts I had ordered were in. and we needed a couple other things too, mower gas for one. So we took the little pickup. Well- - -it decided to lay down on us. Wouldn't you know it, on one of the hottest days of the year, 110 heat index. But I cashed in on me always helping Gary. he came in and brought us home. But where I had to leave the truck, I had to get it as soon as possible. So hooked up the flat bed car trailer, behind the van. It either didn't like the heat either. It just got real gutless. Some times I wasn't sure it would get through the intersection, then pulling hills- - O My.
Well got every thing home. but now comes which do I fix first and how much is it going to cost. First things first though. Took a long shower, to start cooling down. Tossed all my clothes in the washer they were already wringing wet. so now am relaxing with a fan blowing right on me. Boy does that ever feel good, the iced tea ain't bad either. lol

Jim I know what you mean about the pain. I have to get a little grumpy when ours acts up too. Some times have to run two different virus scans and reboot. And yes I admit talking to it.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8036395

Russ, this is terrible weather to be working on vehicles in. Wish you had ours. It rained today. Had to turn the heater on in the car yesterday. I sure hope we haven't seen the end of summer. They are saying 90s next week. Sure hope so. If not, I may not have any ripe tomatoes this year.

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 12, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8036818

This has been the wettest July & August that I remember. We have had to mow our lawns every week. Normally the lawn has started turning brown by now. And of course having the heat with the wet, it is perfect for grass, weeds and most other vegetation.
Tomorrow is supposed to be down into the 80s but still high humidity and little or no breeze.
I did have some good luck after I got home. Gary called and said that 3 boys that live close to the church, were mowing the church yard, so now I won't have to. The 31st of July. 2 of the boys helped as my mower broke down. Then the 5th of Aug. I used another mower and got it done by myself. I think those boys need a reward. I really wasn't able to do it after going back to the city and hauling the pickup home.
I'll have to check as to who prompted them. I know they are hard workers and willing to do so.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8037498

What kind of reward do you think they need Russ? What is wrong with the same reward for them that you got? Didn't you have a good feeling getting it done? So glad you got help with it Russ.

Doesn't the grass look so much nicer green than brown?

I remember in Seattle people would let their lawns go brown 'cause they all knew that when it started raining it would turn green again. They looked awful all summer. Then we moved East of the mountains where it doesn't rain so much, but people here keep their lawns green all summer.

How are your vehicles today Russ. Have you been able to get them repaired?

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8037503

What kind of reward do you think they need Russ? What is wrong with the same reward for them that you got? Didn't you have a good feeling getting it done? So glad you got help with it Russ.

Doesn't the grass look so much nicer green than brown?

I remember in Seattle people would let their lawns go brown 'cause they all knew that when it started raining it would turn green again. They looked awful all summer. Then we moved East of the mountains where it doesn't rain so much, but people here keep their lawns green all summer. So much nicer.

How are your vehicles today Russ. Have you been able to get them repaired?

I had a plumber out the other day and he told me I needed a new pressure tank. Ouch.

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 13, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8037821

Nope haven't even unloaded it. It can't fit in the ol budget for another month. Property tax has to come out of it first.
And you mentioned needing a new pressure tank - - - - ugh I need one too, been trying to get by.
I thought slavery was outlawed.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #8037927

Oh man Russ, I hope they aren't as expensive there as they are here. One thing you've got going for you tho, is that I am sure you can do the work of installation yourself. I might have tried it when I was younger, and Bob would probably break something on it. I have to pay a trip charge besides the labor and parts. If I could find my plumber. He was suppose to be here to install it yesterday (we went down and bought the tank yesterday) but he never showed up and I can't reach him. Now what?

How bad is yours? Mine was full of calcium deposits I guess, and the tank kept trying to fill up. He said it would burn out my well pump if I didn't change it. Sooooo? Where is he?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #8048839

Connie, haven't heard a peep out of you for a while. How is the garden doing? What did you do about the bales for next year?

How is your husband doing? Is he planning Johnny Appleseed's garden for next year? He will have fun growing the seeds out and he will soon discover that he wants more plants then he has room for. Even with 20 bales. But that is a lot.

Bet you guys are busy canning aren't you? LOL, I forgot you were going to do that.

Russ, The caster bean that looked blacker than the other is blooming and it is a totally different flower than the red one. Now I am really confused. I doubt that I will get any beans from it tho. I didn't the red one that bloomed last year. Altho it was in a container. This one isn't.

Did you get your vehicles working? Sure glad you were able to get them home. What a pain. Speaking of which, how are your head and your eyes? Do you still have the pain?

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8049840

Well, there is still an ache in the area that all the fractures were and the vision has gotten better and I finally got a new pair of glasses, as the eye Dr. was finally able to find a happy medium of using some prisms to correct some of the double vision. I still need to use prescription reading glasses when reading or I have to close one eye while wearing the new glasses. I could have the surgery to correct it but I just don't want to be hurt for a quite a while yet.

It took a while to find the problem with the pickup, then we had to wait for Barbs check to buy the parts. But the little S10 is running again.
The van will wait a little longer but I think I have a handle on it too. Without checking it out, it acts like it may be just the 02 sensor.
Sure lost a lot of power and took more than twice the gas than normal. which is what would happen when the computer would go into what they call open loop, like when you first start up and before the sensor gets warmed up. I'll get after the van's problem before too long though as I will want to use it for fishing and short camping trips. Then there is also that trip to Colorado, next summer. I really hope nothing gets in the way of that.

Both kinds of Castor beans are blooming here and forming seed pods, so we will be able to send some back to you. The black ones are way over my head now. I think if I get enough seed I would like to plant a row of them along one side of our acre at least past however little my garden is next year. I need to get a picture of them for you too Ive been kind of behind the 8 ball here lately, or at least falling behind on getting things done.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #8049953

I would love to see a picture of them Russ. Also take one of the reds. Did you plant any greens? A picture of those too would be nice.

Glad your eyesight is getting somewhat better even if they have to engineer a headpiece for you to wear. Sorry, just being funny. Hope you can adjust. Sometimes that isn't easy. Especially seems the older we get the harder it is to do.

So sorry, you have been through so much with that accident.

It is great that you can take care of the vehicle problems, but please stay away from tires or anything else that can blow up. Gas parts too.

I'll bet Barb is on your butt. Bet you 'bout gave her a heart attack coming up to the door like that. Awful thing to have happen!!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8050224

After one of our discussions, I am pretty sure I only have what I had and we kind of decided they were the green. and now I have the ones you sent as well. I will try to get another picture yet today of the ones that I had. I haven't put any on the pueter yet. They aren't as big as yours. I think it is the difference in the soil, and a Black Walnut tree close by.
Yeah, you're right in thinking Barb, Sandi and Connie are all very concerned. Sandi even went so far as to have all new tires put on the trailer. Of course l am giving the trailer to her and Ken but they are leaving it here for me to use, until they have need of it. It really came in handy the other day.
Better go out and get that picture.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8050280

Ok, if you still have those send me a couple. I can't find them. Wonder if I deleted by mistake. The green was the very first one I grew a few years ago. Then the red. Now both red and black. I can't believe yours aren't bigger than mine. Remember how big yours were?
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8051393

Hey ALL!!!!!

Well...I was wondering about ya'll. It has been quiet on here and I was envisioning everyone bringing in all kinds of veggies from their garden :)

We are on the search for hay and straw bales. We were told by a farmer that straw will be scarce due to prices of wheat...BUT...it has gone up $1.00 so they will plant winter wheat but those bales won't be ready until July of next year. It will be hard to find square hay bales as most farmers here go with the round bales. It will be a challenge and that is why we are on the hunt for them now.

Tomato plants are 7 ft. tall now and we have some baby watermelons that just about double in size everyday. I have canned 12 quarts of dill pickles and had plenty of extra cukes to share with the neighbors. Going to town in a few minutes to get more lids so I will be ready to can tomatoes when we have enough ripe to do it. How is yours doin', Jeanette? Are those 'maters turning ripe yet? Has your weather warmed back up yet?

Reckon I need to charge admission fees for all of these curious people looking around in my yard? HA!!! Now there are 4 neighbors that said they are going to do this for sure next year and they are wanting us to "coach" them. Don't quite know how we will do that and tend to our own but we will do the best we can. Gotta take care of our neighbors :)

Hubby is loving this. He has been released from the Dr. now but hurts everyday. Dr. said it could take up to a year for the pain to go away and the SLAP tear to completely heal but there is nothing more they can do for him. No work available in this rural area like so many others but we will find something before long :)

Glad to hear your update, Russ. I know you have been through a lot with your accident. I had to replace the 02 sensor in my vehicle not long ago. Sounds like the same problem I had. Problem with mine was it has two sensors and it had to be tested to see which one needed to be replaced. It was acting up when I went to see my DD in AR. and they told me it was fine to drive...but you will burn more gas doing it. Made it back to MO and replaced it.

Connie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8051785

Sounds like you are running on normal Connie. Thinking about next year already. By square do you mean 2 wire or 3 wire? The problem I ran into was that from the round ones they went to 3 wire square bales that were too big and heavy for me to work with. Now I can't find any of the small 2 wire bales.

Yes, we got about a month of nice weather and now we seem to be on the downside of the summer and running into fall. Going into the 70s.

The tomatoes just started ripening and the critters found them before we could get them. Now we are fighting that. One of these years I guess I will learn to save all the energy and buy from the local farmers instead.

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #8052069

Jeanette, I'm beginning to think that might be the way to go, for me too.
But there are some things that just can't replace growing yourself.
Connie; my van has a straight 6 in it. It has two sensors but only the one in front of the catalytic converter really controls anything. now a v6 or V8 may actually have 4 but the ones after the converter are more or less redundant, Their main purpose is to tell the condition of the converter, unless it is one of the newer models or a foreign. Rather rare for the rear ones to go bad. But not completely unheard of. I found a place on line that has the 02 sensors for less than most auto parts stores, so I will order one.
My tomatoes are starting to come on much faster now but for a while there I was beginning to wonder if I'd get enough to can.
I was very thankful for the few days that the temps only got up to the low 80s but it looks like it's on the rise again.
I'm kind of looking forward to cooking a bunch of the weed seeds with clear plastic next summer. All this wet weather made the melons and squash and the like put on extra long vines and I haven't been able to get at all the weeds without stepping on some vines and causing some fruit out further on the vine to rot, so some of the weeds are going to go to seed. UGGG !Some of the melon vines even went up and over into the lot to the South of mine. One of the Moon and Stars is hanging just below the three strands of barbed wire. Think I will try supporting it with a burlap bag or something. Have some pumpkins close to my North fence, same thing there. Oh well My neighbor can have all the pumpkins on his side of that fence.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8057264

Russ, finally got my computer up and running right now. After an hour with tech support. I just hate that and only do it as a last resort.

It might be the way to go Russ, but we sure would miss cussin' at the weather. LOL
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 23, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8058206

Have a short story, weather related.
I was working on a highway project in Oklahoma City." Mechanic"
I had Barb come down as this had lasted beyond the year I was told.
Usually it was hot of course, Normally there was a wind and the red dirt would sift into the trailer, So one day Barb was praying and made the mistake of asking, Lord can't we have one day without so much wind?? The very next day, She got what she asked for. It was hot hot you could barely breathe Need less to say, she apologized and said Lord_ You know best, I will accept the wind.
So since that time we try to remind ourselves, to accept the weather and not ask for it to change. We do say to ourselves. Things like this is too hot for me or, how much more snow are going to get. We let it be known how hot or cold it is but He has had this old ball of earth and water spinning for thousands of years. So we figure he knows what he is doing.
End of story
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #8058663

Is that one of those "Be careful what you ask for" stories Russ?
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 24, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8059385

Yup; sure is!

(\_/)
('-' )
() ()
"" ""

Well we got another 2 1/2" rain last night, and it cooled down a bit.
11:30 and it's 66 F. I made use of the break in the hot weather, The concrete pad in front of the garage entry door had sunk on one side, about 4". I had made a form before it got really hot, so this morning I mixed several batches of concrete and made that sucker level again.
Eventually I will finish putting in a side walk, along side of the house where we park the car. That ought to keep some of the dirt from being tracked into the kitchen and deflect a lot of the water from running next to the house. I had planned to pave the entire parking area in front of the garage but something else took what I had saved up, so that went to the back burner, where it still stands.
That was going to be done with ready mix. but now just the sidewalk I'll do that myself.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 24, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8059773

Keep some gas money back for Colorado . LOL
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 24, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #8059881

That will be a good test for mileage, burning water along with gas.
I should know more by then though. The van gets 13 mpg now. We will see what it does by then. If it don't do any better ------- I'll have to take the S10 and a tent. Not much comfort in that idea. I can feel the daggers now. LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 24, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #8060115

I bet we can get around you using a tent . I'll probably sleep in the van because of my back anyway and an extra foam matress is a good idea for you . We have privacy curtains in the pop up so don't worry about that either , It might be you and Barb and Johnny in there .A porta jon is a good idea . I just want to enjoy you guys and show you a good time .Gas and food is about all you have to worry about and we will put the food together for all of us .Might even be sandwiches for a coupla meals , we aren't going to cook , we're going for a good vacation and a great time prospecting . Just quality time with friends . O K ? Show you another whole way of life , no stress .
'
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 24, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8060463

Hey that is sounding better all the time.
I will have to have some rhubarb crisp to take along. We gotta have that. LOL
I'm sure everything will work out. I'm watching my P's and Q's on that front.
We have shared a camper before, so that sounds great too. We do have a ply-wood bed frame in the van too, so I'm not real concerned about weather or not I can have this pop-up done. It would get a little old, after a while, as it's a little cramped for getting up in the morning and getting dressed. Oh well.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8060522

Have to tell you one story Russ:

A few years back Bob went on a fishing trip with a few other guys. Well, before he went we were in some store and spotted one of those solar showers. So he bought it and took it with him. When the other fellas saw it they laughed like crazy at him. About the second time he used it they were feeling pretty grimy so decided to try it. Well, the solar couldn't work fast enough for them so they were heating coffee cans of water on the fire. They all have one of those in their camping gear now.

I am sure you can rig up one of those shower curtains to shower and dress in Russ.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8061811

All ready on it. PVC pipe is a great thing, for making an inexpensive frame to hang a small tarp. and the joints can be pinned instead of being glued. A little rope and some stakes to keep it up-right, except in gale force wind. A black 5 gal. bucket, or even one of those collapsible clear plastic water containers, will heat the water enough that you are not taking a " cold shower ". The shower enclosure can also be used for the port a pot. Even the dressing room.
On a couple job sites I worked on I had a 55 gal. barrel mounted on top of my camper, I didn't even paint it. It worked for many showers.
At least a weeks worth. If I was going home on a weekend I would fill it before I left.
Someone once said necessity is the mother of invention.
Everything will have to store easily in or on the vehicle, in this case I hope the van.
We will have to have pictures of all of us and our camp site. lol
Russ
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 25, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8061987

Where we used to go ,they had portapots . Emptied them every other day . Made a campground ,fee charged . We'll be further upstream now and haven't checked with my friends to see if they have the portable toilets there . A five gallon bucket with one of those toilet seats that fits inside and tall kitchen bags , a bottle of bleach and a towel over works fine . When we bought this place, it was the woods , took two months to get a septic tank and a well drilled . A 15"x15" hole four foot deep with a piece of plywood over it made a good dump station . We loaded five gallon buckets with the tall kitchen bags to line them and filled them with water at a neighbors, used twist ties to keep them clean and not splash the water out and hauled about twenty of them on a trailer at a time . It was kinda fun roughing it like that . After I got in the swing of it, I didn't mind it at all .That's from a gal that wouldn't even go to the grocery without hose, a dress and high heels when I lived in Dallas Tex. Oh , how I've changed . LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8062013

Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. Hope there are fish in that stream. I'm sure if Sally is going there are.

Came home and have a bat in here. Bob's sitting here with a broom to help it out the door.

How are the tomatoes doing Russ and Digger? I don't have a ripe one yet. Would have but the critters are getting them before they ripen. I have put bird netting around them and it seems to have slowed them down some. But, I have some pretty big tomatoes out there that are getting ripe now.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 25, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8062075

Won't be fishing , will be gold dredging
Toms are about over .The stink bugs and army worms messed them up and I didn't spray ,but got all we want. Just keep your fingers crossed that you will get some ripe ones . May have to let some ripen in the house
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8062081

Forgot the gold dredging.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 25, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8062095

We're skipping back and forth between here and recipes
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8062563

My tomatoes are coming on good. for salads and just eating. I may be able to can a quart or two once in a while. Right now we eat them nearly as fast as they ripen. I lost about half of my plants early on. I had a couple volunteers come up and moved them to the cattle panels
with the rest.
They are producing as well as those we bought and transplanted. Figures don't it.
What I'm really getting an excess of are butternut squash. It's good that they keep well. I will probably be eating these all next summer. Hey Digger I might even can some that can be just heated up quick then you could help eat them up. lol
Actually I'm thinking about trying to sell some.
I don't know how so many of my seeds got mixed up but I haven't seen any muskmelons I have a lot of those little tiger striped ones. can't remember now but they have claimed a section of the fence and there's about a doz. of them dangling from the top to the bottom of the fence and I don't know how many on the ground hiding among the leaves.
Think I better call it a night got a big day planned tomorrow. I want to get more gravel and a few bags of Portland cement or that french stuff, Lafarge. lol
What I poured the other day is setting up good and as long as I have the forms set I may as well finish the job. The side walk, that is. We'll see how the day goes.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #8062639

What is the French stuff Russ:? I was reading the other day about something they were using for sculpting. But, think it was pretty hard to get. Not sure if it was cement or clay. But, never heard of the French stuff.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 26, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8064059

Oh, well; La-Farge,is a french supplier for the powdered cement.
But today I found Portland cement, so I got 5 bags. That may be more than I need but You just want to run out with only 2 or 3 feet left to go.

I replaced the O2 sensor on the van and tried it out with a trip to the gravel pit, pulling the flat bed. I wanted to get around a ton or ton and a half. Well the loader bucket dumped nearly that much more on the trailer. It weighed just short of 3 ton. He would have tried to take some back off but I figure I have more concrete work we are thinking of doing, so I said that it's fine. any way the van didn't balk one bit at pulling it. Was a might weak going up hills but I expect that from it with the 370 some thousand miles on it. I know the compression is a little on the weak side. Anyway just letting ya know it's back among the " living". lol

Some are using sphagnum moss with cement and sand in the mix. I understand it is easily molded and shaped without a form or mold. Tuffa or something like that. It's lighter and easier to handle, I guess.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8064184

Yes, there is a forum on tuffa. Very interesting for garden art if you are into that. They make some really cool things. And, like you say, much lighter.

Glad you got the van running. Might need a place to sleep if it rains. The price of gold now you better take your shootin' iron.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8152048

Gosh did everone's garden just die? No activity on this thread since Aug 26th... Mine are still producing albeit smaller ones this time of year. It was a bad year over all for gardening here, way too much heat and humidity and way too little real rain. The water hose just barely manages to keep things alive, but one little downpour out of God's water supply and things perk up in a day or so... Just making sure everyone is OK.

Doug
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8152232

Doing good here Doug. I hear ya about the heat and lack of rain... I have one grape tomato still producing and I've let my basil go to seed so I'll more than enough of that next year. Thanks for asking.
Mike
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 12, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #8152651

I was bragging about no bugs , then was invaded by ittsy bitsy worms and stink bugs that ate holes into all the toms , even the green ones . Said for get it and took everything down .
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8153093

I was also wondering what had happened to this thread! I'm sorry to hear that so many of you had problems this summer. Despite the heat I had my best straw bale year ever! As a result I have at least 3 people interested in using this method next year! They have stopped by in the last couple of weeks for a "lesson" in how it's done. My tomatoes went through the roof in terms of size and production. The one eggplant I planted in a bale still looks pretty healthy despite a mild frost the other night. It was as healthy or more so than some planted in E-Boxes. Many tomato plants still have a lot of green on them, unheard of at this late date in our climate. Almost everyone I know has pulled their tomatoes but mine keep churning them out. I am now collecting green ones for fried green tomatoes. Altogether I had at least 40 varieties and am fairly drowning in frozen tomatoes and sauce. I have even frozen fried green ones because I have too many to eat all at once! This is certainly a big change from last year where I got a very small crop off of 10 out of 40 plants!
I think what led to my success this summer was a combination of the weather ( quite hot at times but the bales held the water very well so didn't succumb) and feeding with fish fertilizer every two weeks combined with liquid bone meal and kelp. I had never used such a consistent feeding schedule before and it really worked. I had a mixture of straw and hay bales (first time for hay) but can't really draw a good comparison as just about all the bales did well. For me the hay heated up faster and got hotter. They also heated up even weeks after I thought they were done so a couple of tomato plants suffered from "stewed" roots! My obvious solution will be to set the bales out this fall to break down for next spring, something I was unable to do last fall.
This is my 4th year using the bales and I am a totally converted straw bale gardener - maybe even a little fanatic at times because they work so well and the left over broken down straw at the end of the season has been rejuvenating the rest of the gardens. I got the last of my bales for next year yesterday so am ready to go after the real killing frost hits to put them in place.
Thanks to all of you who contribute great tips and advice throughout the year. I am still learning and revising my methods but the one for this year thanks to Jnette was feed, feed (more than I normally do)!! It works alright!
I am attaching a picture of one of the gardens. I had the bales in four different locations.

Thumbnail by gardadore

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8154068

Wow! How nice to hear of someone having a good garden this year. Most of the country had such screwy weather, different than all other years it seems, that people just didn't know how to deal with it I think.

For me, we had such a cold and wet June that we couldn't even get a plant in the mood to grow until July! Then of course it got hot and the plants were just starting out from scratch. And then it cooled off in mid August and have been getting warnings of frost this week. So you see our growing season was about 1 1/2 months. Isn't that terrible?

I am so glad for you that you had a good year and it is really something that you didn't see much of a difference between hay and straw. So, which did you get for next year?

Well, I am having computer problems and don't even know if this will get sent or drop.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #8154327

I got straw bales for next year (no hay since it costs more here and I didn't experience a significant enough difference). Plus I got alfalfa bales but am not sure whether I can use them pure or need to mix the alfalfa with the straw. I would do that in cages. I posted another thread to address the alfalfa issue.
Last year was our bad year with the wet and cold which combined with the late blight. So I sympathize with what some of you went through where it was cold and wet early on. And then the excessive heat did others in. When the heat his us my plants were already pretty big and constant watering and feeding kelp them going. I was surprised they set as well as they did in the heat!
But I have learned that with straw bales if you are feeding and doing everything else right you can legitimately blame it on the weather (or critters and diseases brought on by the weather) if things don't grow!!
My only issue this year was chipmunks early on snipping off the stalks of the tomato plants. I lost about 10 plants until I got smart and wrapped the stems with veil material. I put 3 sticks in, wrapped the material around and closed it with a clothes pin. Problem solved! I wouldn't have been able to handle 10 more plants anyway!! I still have 2 pots of green tomatoes to cut up and fry plus a huge bowl of cut up ones to flour and fry!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #8159446

Sounds good. Amazingly my thermometer on one deck said a low of 14 last night and a lot of the plants in that area where the thermometer is were black this morning. But the rest of that deck, the other deck, and the perennial beds, and tomatoes were not hit !!! Now can someone tell me why that is? What caused that?

The forecast is for 20 degrees tonight but that is 20 miles away. After last night, I don't know what to do. I am taking out what ones I really worry about, but waiting a while on the rest. It is suppose to warm up into the high 30s at night on Monday and keep going. Crazy weather anyway.

Have a good weekend everybody.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8159482

Brr, Jnette. Your temps make me shiver just thinking about it at this time of year!
We have had high winds the last two days mixed with rain so no inspiration to clean up the gardens. Tomorrow should go up to 68 so I plan to rip out all the tomato plants regardless of production. I am finding even the ones still ripening just don't taste good - very bland. I have never had tomatoes this late so never realized how the cold affects the taste, except when I put them in the fridge, they get bland. So obviously the cold nights affect them the same way.
Time to spread the good composted straw around as well. It's been a good summer! Only request of my husband has been to please plant less tomatoes next year since too many make him feel achy. As a result I will experiment next year with other veggies like peppers, eggplants, melons and zucchinis. Would like to hear how others do with different veggies besides tomatoes!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8159938

gardadore; I had great luck with butternut squash this year. great orange flesh high in antioxidants and minerals. I also love sweet potatoes. yup orange flesh. Both keep very well if allowed to cure properly before putting in storage. My water melons seemed to run all over this year. and they are delicious, I was thinking I had planted, Moon and Stars but I think I got the seed mixed up as I had Black Diamond and some kind of stripped melon that must have been a volunteer. Not as sweet as a Black Diamond or Moon and Stars but still tasty. My tomatoes didn't do as well this year as they barely could keep with just fresh slicers for the table. none for canning this year.
But had a good variety of produce.
If you plant zucchinis remember they seem to over produce. lol
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8160619

Randponder,

I grow a lot of different veggies but not in the straw bales. Do you grow a lot of the veggies you mentioned in the bales or the ground?
I've never planted sweet potatoes but know there are some varieties for the more northern climates. We like sweet potatoes and I have given it some thought. I usually grow my squashes in E-Boxes but think I will try some in the bales next year. Do you have a favorite butternut variety? I have seeds for Early Butternut and Waltham but only planted them last year with poor results. Water melons need a long season, I believe, so have had poor luck with them but will try the Black Diamond you recommended. The Moon and Stars looks really interesting so will add that as well!!
My melons produced OK this year in the ground but never got sweet even when ripe - not sure why that is! My zucchinis do not overproduce since pollination seems to be an issue. I get enough for the two of us so can't complain. We also get those awful squash bugs and at times the borers which limits my production. But I will try a lot of these in the bales next year since I have amassed a good number of them and have the space to put them. I will TRY to limit my tomatoes to 20 varieties instead of the 40 plus I had this summer! That will still be more than enough! Thanks for your suggestions!
Jessica
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2010

Post #8161022

Well, Bob and I spent this afternoon cleaning off the livingroom deck of potting soil, root balls, pots and you name it. took 4 trailer loads just off the one deck. Left the Japanese Maple in the whiskey barrel and a 9 bark in a container too. Think I am going to wrap those in insulation and plastic and leave them there. So, he has to empty the 2 ponds and put the lids on them he made and that will be taken care of for the winter. He can clean the snow around those few things. Everything froze pretty solid again last night, then Monday, tomorrow, it is suppose to be warming back up into the 60s hi and the lows in the high 30s. We'll see. That will give me a chance to water and mulch everything and put the hoses away.

All of this for a few months of nice weather and pretty flowers and a few veggies. Think those farmer's markets look better all the time. But then what would I do with my time? LOL

I have to go into Spokane tomorrow for a dr. appt. and pick up a router for my laptop. I am hoping I can install it with the help of Cisco in SF. They make them and the fellow there told me he would help me. Soooooooooo. Wish me luck. lol
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 17, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #8161512

Jessica; The butternut will do well either in bales or in the ground. I haven't tried water melons in bales. The Black Diamond require around 105 to 110 days good growing as do the moon and stars.
I have been meaning to try Sweet potatoes in a mixture of straw and compost soil but was in a hurry again this year, so they went in hills of dirt again. This year I tried Georgia Jets, they done good but I let them get extra large again due to wet conditions and not wanting to dig when it was very wet. They are just as good just not that smooth skin and uniform size we all like to see. The other variety I like is the Centennial.
They seemed to bear more uniform storage roots per hill for me. But then that could have been just the year too.
I had trouble finding reasonable prices on bales so this year I had a weed problem. Everything was in dirt. I took a big tub of the squash to the gospel mission and gave many more away as they really really done well.
Usually May 15th is the earliest safe planting here for melons and things that freeze easily, sometimes even that don't leave enough growing season. This year was good though.
When it comes to the squash bugs I usually plant extra, so if they kill a few vines I still win.
I don't know how close you planted melons to squash or cucumbers. I like to have as much distance between either of those and any melons. I have seen them to affect the melons and ruin the flavor.
I will be cutting way back next year as we are planning a trip and I don't want to come back to more weeds than I can handle.
We do go to senior meals a couple times a week, so we probably don't need as much garden anyway. I won't be using bales next year either due to being gone for a large part of July. The bales do have to be watered where most of the time the ground retains sufficient moisture.. Now the following year who knows, I may go all out with bales again. after all it is a lot easier to just mow around the garden than to have to pull weeds.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

October 26, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #8178122

Good evening, gang.

Been hectic my way since 8/31, so not much time or energy for a lot of gardening talk. Thought I'd give you a quick update.

On 8/31, my Daddy's 73rd b-day, he had a heart attack while he was out in the yard between 10 am and 12 pm. It was one of those 90+ days with full sun. (He's had 5+ strokes and a heart attack previously.)

One of his neighbors saw him around 10 am in the yard. The neighbor went to town, came back, and was back out in his yard around noon when he heard some moaning. He looked over and saw Daddy stretched out in the yard.

The neighbor runs over. Daddy is moaning and barely breathing and hot as a firecracker.

EMT's arrive and checks his temp. It's 108!

EMT's spend 30-45 minutes trying to get his temp down with ice packs.

In addition to the heat stroke and heart attack, at one point Daddy fell out on his asphalt drive way and laid there long enough to get badly burned on the back of his legs, back, and arms. He rolled off somehow. He doesn't remember anything at all.

I'd post a pic of his legs but don't want to gross anyone out.

After he was stabilized at the hospital in Raleigh, he spent 30 days at the Univ of NC Hospital Burn Center to get some skin grafts which are healing up nicely.

He's now at a local nursing/rehab center where his wife is also a resident and Daddy is doing much better.

With all the travelling back and forth to different hospitals and working, I had no time for much else.

So, that's it in a nutshell.

Missed you all.

Kent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8178172

Kent, so sorry about your pop!! That sounds like a terrible time for him. Amazing that he is still with us. Must be a pretty tough guy.

I can certainly understand where you have spent your time and it really is time consuming.

Take care and will be thinking of your daddy.

Jeanette
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 26, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8178213

Kent , how awful for him with that pain and helpless . My dad had an unfortunate accident back when he was a double amputee and it makes me sick that he was alone . It's hard to see your loved ones in pain . Hopefully that part is over and he has plenty of people around to see after him . Our thoughts are with you and him , and of course the rest of his family . Sally
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8178232

Wow, Kent!!! God bless him!! I am so sorry that happened to your Daddy and so proud that he is healing. Prayers go out to you and your family :)

Connie
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8179265

Kent; our prayers are for you & your family & your Dad. God be with you all.
Many times us older folks think we are pretty tough, and keep on working at things that really are hard, and we get caught off guard. We don't want to be pampered but I have to admit, we need to go at a slower pace. I am also 73, so I think I can relate to your dad fairly well.
God bless him. This sounds like it will be a tough healing process. Keep his spirits high.
Russ
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 27, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #8179318

Do keep us posted when you can . Sally
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

October 27, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #8180157

Thanks for the well-wishes, ya'll.

1 day at a time.

Kent
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

November 29, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8236430

Jeanette, a Spokane, WA, Navy buddy sent me this pic this afternoon of his back yard. More on the way!!

What's it like for you?

Mid 60's forecast for us tomorrow.

KR

Thumbnail by KentNC

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #8237526

Hi Kent,

Yeah, pretty much the same. Here is one off my deck.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8237536

Out my bedroom window.

These were taken a couple of days ago and it is still snowing.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

November 30, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #8237671

Wow. If you're getting all this now, it may be a long winter for you.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8237672

Yup, you got it. The most since 1955
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8244998

Still no snow accumulation here. YAAA
We have had a dusting but that is all gone. I walked over to the garden the other day and looked at all the green leaves on my strawberry plants. It is 10 degrees right now. The lawn today has a frosty sheen to it but the grass is still green. I say this because this is so unusual.
I welcome it now but we better have some snowfall to protect the many of the fruit trees root system from freezing dry and the farmers depend on the moisture the snow provides for next spring.
Last year at this time, we had snow piled 7' high at one corner of the house just to make room for more. I had pushed more further out away from that pile. So you see, I am not ready for snow just yet. lol

Jeanette I will have to say though It does look very picturesque, out your window. I will be happy just seeing snow second hand lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8245582

Russ, we had more snow this November than all of last winter combined. We set a new record for November. Almost 29 inches I think he said. Not that I want more.

bob's mom passed away Wednesday in Seattle. He drove over and it took him 10 hrs. that normally is 6 or7. He just got thru the pass before they closed it for avalanches. So, at least he lucked out there. But, he came home to bring me the car since I was snowbound here. He will take the Subaru back. Hope he doesn't have to buy chains.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 6, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8247509

Know what you mean about the chains!
Late 60s I flew to Portland OR. to help my mother move back to Iowa.Early spring. We got to the Dells and It was starting to snow, mom was determined to get through Pendleton Pass before it got bad. We were at what I think was the half way point, Truck stop and motel and such, There was about 4" of snow on the ground. We stopped for a catnap. Mom up front and I crawled in back and zonked out. When I woke up we were already pushing snow. Mom had had already started out. We traded off a couple times before the snow started getting not quite so deep and we came upon highway patrol and state trucks. They were closing the gates for the other lane. They flagged us down to caution us to be careful, And My mother( now you know where I get it ) said back to the patrol man : You don't want us to turn around and go back do you?
The response was simply No no, you made it this far just take it easy. So we continued on down the mountain, U Haul in tow and logging trucks on our tail. And nope we didn't have to put on chains but it was slow going for a while.
Just one tail for the old memory book.
I think we were lucky that it was really cold that night as the snow was really squeaking under the tires. Had it been wet, I don't think we would have been so lucky.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8247534

Well, he headed back today with the Explorer. 4 wheel. The Subaru's tires are frozen to the ground. He didn't have time to unstick them so he left me snowbound again. Crap!! It was 10 degrees when we got up this a.m.

The truck tires did that a couple years ago and he had to jack each one up to pry it from the ground.

Unfortunately they do not have the time for the funeral confirmed. They are suppose to have it Wednesday but it hasn't been confirmed yet. I hope they don't string this out. He has a lot to do over there that I am hoping he can get done tomorrow, then head home Thursday morning.

We are suppose to get snow Tuesday thru Friday.
PERRYLAWRENCE
SARANAC, NY
(Zone 4a)

December 18, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8266526

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all!!!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #8266531

Same to you and EVERYONE else Perry.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 18, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8266836

Just getting back on here . What's the latest on your dad , Kent ? Sure hope its a joyous Christmas for all. My great grandson is getting a Radio Flyer wagon . I hoped they still made them , and found them at Kmart. Toys r Us never answered the phone. Busy for Christmas , I guess .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8267097

Hi Sally!! Are you in Texas now? How are things down there? Are you getting the cold like everyone else? Maybe you'll get snow? LOL

Here's hoping you guys have a great Christmas.

Jeanette
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8268129

And Happy Holidays to all of you. So far we have had little snow - just flurries unlike so much of the rest of the country. We are supposed to get more flurries on Christmas Day. It's unusual to not have something on the ground by now. But the season is still young!! It's been cold, however.
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful input I had the best straw bale gardening season ever and am planning to try a number of different veggies besides tomatoes next year in the bales. All but two alfalfa bales are in place so they can break down a bit over the winter. Alfalfa will be my one new bale type. I wish you all a successful 2011 as well!

Best regards to all!

Jessica (Gardadore)
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

December 23, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #8273837

Merry Christmas to you, too, Perry and all my DG friends!

We may get our first white Christmas since 1947.

Looking forward to my 1st 2011 tomato sandwich.

Kent
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 23, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #8274120

O M G ! I saw green toms in a neighbors yard awhile ago . It has been a warm winter so far and I'm just brash enough to stop and ask for a coupla suckers to plant . Supposed to get into the 30's over Christmas , but can put up a hoop

house for them .I'll keep you posted and will try loading pictures on this laptop .
Merry Christmas to all.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8274128

Sally, aren't you in Texas this year? I thought you would be by now.

Merry Christmas wherever you are.

Jeanette
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 23, 2010

Post #8274222

The first message is lost in space , won't repeat it but yes , I'm in Texas and won't be home til April .
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 24, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8274858

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas. We are not doing much this year. I'm just baking cookies, breads candies and Carmel corn. Will add to that a jar of jelly for each of the girls and their family and a couple of the grand daughters who are near by. We are not traveling. I will keep my drive way open. Anybody wants to come will be welcome.
Russell & Barbara
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8275242

Merry Christmas to you and Barb too Russ.

Sounds like a safe and sound Christmas for you and us. Will think of you tomorrow and that way we will spend the day together. With none of the fuss and expense of travel. How about that?

I am thinking of making a carrot cake with cream cheese icing. LOL, doesn't that sound good? Think I have a good recipe. Bye
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 24, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #8275496

Merry Christmas, Jeanette. Just got done with 6 pt. of plum jelly and as soon as I rest up a bit, I'm making two coconut cream pies, as if nobody shows up, we are invited down to the barn at Gary and Tami's.
Not doing the turkey unless I know we have something planned.

Once again A very Merry Christmas to you & Bob.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8275864

Thanks Russ. I did make the carrot cake. We decided to forgo the pies and opted for the cc instead.

You take it easy Russ. 6 pts of plum jelly and then 2 pies is a bit much. More than you and Barb can eat. It sounds like you might be expecting company!!

Have a good one.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 25, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8276785

Well we only had Sandi & Ken to drop by but the jellies were part of the Christmas presents. The pies were for Christmas Dinner down at Tami & Gary's ( the Barn ). They had invited us to share with them.

The girls gifts only amounted to a container of home made goodies, The home made jelly and a jar of pear butter,Carmel corn, fudge, cranberry oatmeal cookies and some peanut brittle. Barb had to help with the Carmel corn as it is hard to pour the carmel over the corn and stir at the same time, to get it all coated. More fun that way too.

So now we are stuffed, have a sugar high and are in need of a nap. LOL
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8276977

Russ, don't say ONLY consisted of homemade stuff. That is so nice to know someone cared enough about you to spend the time making it rather than just go out and buy something. My sister gave us a box about 5# of cookies and candy she had made. While we, neither one of us, need all that sweets I thought it was great that she had made them for us.

It sounds like you had a very nice Christmas. Have a great New Year. I know it is going to be a better growing season this year.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 26, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8277671

I had hoped that would be the way the kids would feel. I included the recipe for the carmel corn so they could make more if they wished
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8278123

I love caramel corn. Send it to me. Please. Jeanette
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8278131

I love caramel corn. Send it to me. Please. Jeanette

Ps. I love that Gary and Tami invited you to share your pies with them. Wasn't that nice of them? Like Gary helping you get rid of all those tomatoes you grow. That Gary is sooooooo nice.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 27, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #8279152

Okay here ya go. try this you will be spoiled.
LOL

Carmel Corn

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup ( 2 sticks ) butter or ole your choice
1/2 cup white syrup
Boil for 5 min
I melt it in the mic, first it don't try to burn to the pan as easy that way.

Add 1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
& 1 tsp soda

stir well and pour over about 8 qt. popped corn,
Sort out the old maids first
Mix thoroughly to make sure it's all coated.
put on a cookie sheets & bake at moderate heat ( 225 ) about 1 hr.Stirring at 15 min intervals so carmel doesn't run down and stick to the cookie sheet.
Separate the clumps of caramelized popcorn while still fairly hot
it's easier than letting it cool first.

Enjoy
Russ

Oh Gary cooked every thing else. Ham, green bean casserole, I don't remember what all else but we filled up.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2010 3:25 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #8279444

Thank you. As soon as we get rid of some of this sweet stuff we got for Christmas I will make some.

Jeanette
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 29, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8281846

I can make a meal on it .
Think summer !
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #8282297

Maybe by summer I might have all the sweets worked off and can bring some along to Colorado, If it lasts the trip LOL
Hey Digger; Was rattling Kent's chain, about the snow. I get the feeling he don't like snow. I really thought he would like to make a snow man.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2010 3:09 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #8282894

Russ, I think you are pullin' his chain alright. Did he get snow? I know they were looking for it in NC.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2010
11:27 PM

Post #8283077

Snow in 49 states. They got 6 to 8 ". My sister in law in Sanford, which is a little over 60 miles south of Raleigh Durham area, said she hadn't even ventured out of the house for 4 days. She is very afraid of falling though and I can understand. But if Barb and I had been there, there would have been a big SNOW MAN in her front yard. LOL
I think it may be all gone by now.
Even Though snow there sounds funny to us, there were a few tragedies that did occur, directly related to the snow, just as sometimes happens here and that is a sad part.
My guess is that all Law enforcement officers were pulling double duty for those few days.
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8283459

Well Russ, that is why people live in those places. So they don't have to live with the snow. Not the only reason, but one of them. So, yes, I can understand if they get it when they are not used to it.

49!! I had heard there were only 5 that had not had snow. That has changed. Wow, what a year huh? Good thing there are only a couple days left of it.

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #8283659

Changes in weather patterns. I think there were only flurries in Florida.
Today's weather here is mild. 44 degrees the snow & ice is melting but the barometric pressure is falling rapidly and they are calling for snow and ice tomorrow. They first said up to 10" but I think that has been backed off some. Possibly 4 to 6.
I'm a little concerned as we are to pick up the Lutheran Minister at the airport tomorrow too. Were not sure of the time yet but it could be close.
We could use his 4 wheel drive blazer but I would feel better in my own car. We'll see what tomorrow brings and go from there.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 2, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8287976

Russ , in his job , he probably sees all the bad side of snow . It's only fun if there's no danger .
Bring on the carmel corn and use lots of nuts . LOL
My son will be down for his birthday the seventh . Means mama has to cook pecan pies and at least one cherry .He'll be 54 , darn , he was a cute baby .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8288077

Russ, did you ever find out what time his flight is? Or are you suppose to go sit in the airport all day? Somebody must know something?? Why is it nobody knows flight time? I didn't know, unless it is caused by weather, that flight times were up for grabs. Can you not call and find out if it is on time?

Or do you not have a flight number? LOL, this is a pretty good guessing game. Let us know the answer. When he is getting in.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8289013

LOL It was interesting, at the least. He had the ticket and we were running a little behind our timing plan and we had to wait on a train when when we got to the city. He was nearly fit to be tied. Now if you can imagine, I was consoling him, - - hmmm. Oh well, we made it with no time to spare, so he said he would call and let us know the the time.
Anyway he was able to visit his mother an take care of a few chores she had for him.
He called from Toronto and said he was due into Sioux City at 4:30pm on Friday. Well 4:30 we were at the airport. No airplane, no pastor. The airplane was still in Minneapolis- - - -They were having mechanical problems and weather was also a factor. Well we checked a couple times, for any updates but they were still having problems. Finally he got a message to us, just to go back home as he wasn't sure even if he would get to Sioux City, and that they would have to get another pilot now too as this pilot had already gone over his hours and that he would call if they did make it. We were visiting with 2 other people waiting for their families to come in but decided to go home, and take a nap and finally about 10:30 he called to let us know the plane had just got in. He was thinking about calling a cab and going to a motel. I said, no need for that, I' would still come in and pick him up as the wind was
picking up and and we weren't sure how bad it would get. So to make sure he wasn't stranded just 25 miles from home and not be able to get a sermon ready, so we got him home just a few strokes before midnight.
When he called he even had the stewardess to tell me that they had a ball and that he had quite the sermon for a whole room full of passengers while setting on the tarmac. The bad thing was that the crew was to be in Atlanta yet that night but no way, they had to spent the night in Sioux City.
Any way he was grateful to be here and in his own house. He is planning on taking Barb and I out for supper some time soon for all our trouble. He was apologizing for all the trouble we were going through, All I could say was are we not friends? How far would you go for Barb and me?
He is home and was able to have service at his church here in town as well as in Mapleton, a few miles from here. So all is well
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8291372

Don't ever test me the way that guy did Russ. LOL

I can't believe a captive audience on the tarmac!!

Glad you all have a good sense of humor left. Guess that is what it takes to get thru this winter stuff.

a
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

January 30, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8339144

Let's start a new chapter.

Jump to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152365/

Kent

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America