Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: A few Ponding 101 Questions

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 8, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7996199

1. Will regular old Clorox harm the pump or any of the parts/pieces of the mechanicals? Will it corrode the plastic hoses that the water flows through? Bleach works best for me - tried the peroxide (ok results with the string algae but not the matting type) Have not tried it with baking soda.

2. Do the various algaes have to be treated differently? It seems yes with my experience with the bleach working on one type but not the other. We have string algae and the kind that looks like a mat and can be lifted off the rocks by hand quite easily -- under water looks like puff balls.

3. I do understand the purpose of growing plants to help with algae, but algae forms in the various pools that come before or after each waterfall that leads to the final large pool. So how do I keep the plants from being washed downstream to the last and largest pool --the 'pool' where the pump vault lives and where the water is quiet? I have about a foot and a half of water in that 'pondless' area. So much for a disappearing water fall / feature!

I do not have a biofilter, skimmer or anything like that because this was supposed to be a 'pondless' water feature. Through error in computing how much water reservoir needed for all those waterfalls, we had to enlarge gravel pond depth to triple its original and widen it almost as much. Then we had to empty it of its total gravel fill and instead fill it with plastic drainage pipe and then cover with fabric and only thin layer of rock. So that last pool is a reservoir for all the algae that flows down hill also. Pretty gunky. I know I can grow the plants in the last pool (water is still) but I don't see how I can grow plants in the active very vigorous other pools where the water is rushing downhill and over the various falls. Thanks in advance for your response -- I know it is probably 101 for most of you. I know about the lifting / sludge busters but since no filter/skimmer not sure where all that stuff would end up after busted up. Each year I've been empting and pressure washing and cleaning by hand. Water is clear --- but again, it has those two types of algae in the clear water. I do plan on getting one of those vacuums where the water is filtered and returned to the feature.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7996361

I use barley pellets.They come with a nylon bag,Put the pellets in the bag and put where the water flows over it..like under a waterfall or fountain.That should keep you pond free of algea all summer.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 25, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7996849

How big is the bag? Is it something that I can place under one of the falls and have it take care of the entire water feature? (1000 gal give or take) It would have to be large enough to stay, the water flows very fast. Last summer another member told me about barley and I intended to try it. I heard it could be gotten at pet store - but PetSmart did not have.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7997011

You can hold it down with a rock.The bags are about 18' by19',You should be able to get them at any garden centre where they sell supplies for water Gardens.There are two bags so you can divide the pellets and if necessary put them both in the water.They are packaged for water gardens

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7997049

The bag is 18 inches square.There is a bag in my pond pictured
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 26, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7997422

thank you. how much do they sell for and how long will they last before change out?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7997531

They also sell liquid barley, which reacts a little bit sooner than the bags.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

July 26, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7997897

I find that they last for the summer.I don't remember the price but I don't think it was excessive or I'd remember.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7998454

barley straw is expensive. even a whole bale like a feed store would have. Liquad is too, but it is hard on algae, and helps immensely

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America