Where did he come from???!!!

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I found this guy (gal?) in my pond today. I'm assuming it's a crawfish, but I have no idea where he came from! He's probably 4-5 inches long. I live across the street from a lake - is it possible he walked across? I haven't added any new pond plants this year so I don't think he was a stow-away. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Arlington, TX

I have found them walking across a parking lot before so he/she might have just strolled on in. Do you live near a natural water source? The one I found was a female with eggs on her stomach. I took her into my classroom and kept her as a pet. Alas she ate all but a couple of the babies.
C

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Your pond must be a nice healthy enviornment if it chose to live there.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

crawfish, chuckl, craw daddy, mudbugs, yes, it is, an your pond had something he liked-escape from being eaten, or food he wanted. we catch them on a piece of string with bacon tied on it, or chicken necks- they fight you to keep dinner in their claw, like a crab, but you have to jerk fast or they let go...

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Quote from newtonsthirdlaw :
I have found them walking across a parking lot before so he/she might have just strolled on in. Do you live near a natural water source? The one I found was a female with eggs on her stomach. I took her into my classroom and kept her as a pet. Alas she ate all but a couple of the babies.
C

She may have ate her babies because she wasn't getting the nutrition she needed as a 'pet'.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have one in my pond also, and I have no idea where he came from, I do not live any where even near any water.
I had a suspicion one of the neighbor kids put it in there after a weekend fishing trip, but none of them actually acted guilty, so I am not even convinced of that.

Arlington, TX

No, they are canabals by nature. They will attack and eat one another when one is molting and has not had time to form a hard exoskeleton. Might not be nice but its their way.
C

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

I had crayfish, goldfish and 5 baby bass in my pond last summer. Kept them for the winter in the house, the goldfish in a 5 gallon pail, and the crayfish and baby bass in a small aquarium.

The crayfish moulted 3 times over the winter. The first time, I removed the shed skeleton, but once I realized that he was eating it, left it in the last 2 times he shed.

the crayfish did a very good job keeping the tank clean, and he was very amusing to watch.

They're all out in the pond again for the summer. The way all the fish are growing, I think I'll need bigger digs for them this winter.

Baton Rouge, LA

I've heard of their eggs glinging to the legs and feathers of birds and being relocated to other areas.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

It's a crayfish, not a lobster? pardon my ignorance, never having lived where they do. Sure looks like a lobster. How can you tell the difference?

Arlington, TX

Crayfish live and fresh water and are smaller. Lobsters live in the ocean and some can get fairly large. Both taste yummy though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.