Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Where did he come from???!!!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 10, Views: 324
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7996221

I found this guy (gal?) in my pond today. I'm assuming it's a crawfish, but I have no idea where he came from! He's probably 4-5 inches long. I live across the street from a lake - is it possible he walked across? I haven't added any new pond plants this year so I don't think he was a stow-away. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 25, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7996941

I have found them walking across a parking lot before so he/she might have just strolled on in. Do you live near a natural water source? The one I found was a female with eggs on her stomach. I took her into my classroom and kept her as a pet. Alas she ate all but a couple of the babies.
C
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7997239

Your pond must be a nice healthy enviornment if it chose to live there.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7998450

crawfish, chuckl, craw daddy, mudbugs, yes, it is, an your pond had something he liked-escape from being eaten, or food he wanted. we catch them on a piece of string with bacon tied on it, or chicken necks- they fight you to keep dinner in their claw, like a crab, but you have to jerk fast or they let go...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #8011371

[quote="newtonsthirdlaw"]I have found them walking across a parking lot before so he/she might have just strolled on in. Do you live near a natural water source? The one I found was a female with eggs on her stomach. I took her into my classroom and kept her as a pet. Alas she ate all but a couple of the babies.
C[/quote]

She may have ate her babies because she wasn't getting the nutrition she needed as a 'pet'.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #8011373

I have one in my pond also, and I have no idea where he came from, I do not live any where even near any water.
I had a suspicion one of the neighbor kids put it in there after a weekend fishing trip, but none of them actually acted guilty, so I am not even convinced of that.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 1, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8012114

No, they are canabals by nature. They will attack and eat one another when one is molting and has not had time to form a hard exoskeleton. Might not be nice but its their way.
C
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8015031

I had crayfish, goldfish and 5 baby bass in my pond last summer. Kept them for the winter in the house, the goldfish in a 5 gallon pail, and the crayfish and baby bass in a small aquarium.

The crayfish moulted 3 times over the winter. The first time, I removed the shed skeleton, but once I realized that he was eating it, left it in the last 2 times he shed.

the crayfish did a very good job keeping the tank clean, and he was very amusing to watch.

They're all out in the pond again for the summer. The way all the fish are growing, I think I'll need bigger digs for them this winter.

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

March 23, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8446454

I've heard of their eggs glinging to the legs and feathers of birds and being relocated to other areas.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8446862

It's a crayfish, not a lobster? pardon my ignorance, never having lived where they do. Sure looks like a lobster. How can you tell the difference?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 24, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8447468

Crayfish live and fresh water and are smaller. Lobsters live in the ocean and some can get fairly large. Both taste yummy though!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America