Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening Stalwart: consolation

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening Stalwart
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening StalwartReplies: 1, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

July 26, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7997436

What a wise grandfather she had!
I worked in very high stress jobs for many years. Although I loved the work and was highly motivated, the politics were often vicious and ridiculous. Every day, after work, and every morning before leaving for work, cup of coffee in hand, I would tour my garden and make mental notes about what I wanted to do here and there. Although the stress of my last position eventually led to a small stroke and retirement, I credit my garden with having made it possible for me to work in that toxic environment as long as I did.
Today, my daughter works in a very high stress environment in one of the nation's biggest cities. While she has no garden in which to putter, her indoor plants, parks, and public gardens help reduce her stress by putting life in perspective.
One of our favorite sayings, from an old Jefferson Airplane song, pretty much sums up our shared response to the silly infighting that can occur on the job--"It doesn't mean @#%& to a tree."
When the going gets tough, the saying comes out.

tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7999058

Jazzy1okc, you should buy the VHS or DVD I mentioned in the article, it's really moving to hear Ruth talk about that incident with her grandfather.

I'm glad you made it to retirement, and I wish you and your daughter many happy days in the garden! Thanks for reading my article.

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruth Stout - Gardening Stalwart Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
leaves planolinda 6 Jul 26, 2010 6:57 PM
cardboard/papers/woodchips heygeno 1 Jul 26, 2010 7:07 PM
Always loved Ruth Stout... Sundownr 1 Jul 28, 2010 11:26 AM
Regrets nancy902 2 Aug 2, 2010 6:55 PM
straw and newspaper RebeccaLynn 3 Jul 21, 2013 11:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America