Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Oleanders: Welcome to the Oleander Forum!

Communities > Forums > Oleanders
bookmark
Forum: OleandersReplies: 7, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7998076

By popular request, we've created the Oleander forum for those who love this wonderful plant.
Enjoy!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #8006933

It isn't such a wonderful plant when the oleander caterpillars hit our town - they destroy every plant in their path, get in our homes and businesses and literally make our streets and pathways slick when we step on them - they come by the gabillions! They just started appearing in our area.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8007131

I love oleander, but I was warned by a native Miamian in the Georgia forum to beware of the caterpillars they attract. She said their bite is extremely painful. Who knew? I'm growing yellow, white, red, and several shades of pink oleander that is cold hardy here in central SC. It roots easily, and even though I have serious ground vole issues, they don't touch the oleander. For me, poisonous root systems are a definite plus. There is a salmon colored oleander that I love, but, despite tag info indicating it's cold hardy in Zone 8a, it can't survive winters around here. And I will remember to beware of the biting(or is it stinging?) caterpillars.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8007157

Thanks, Melody!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8007708

Thanks, Melody! I have had the caterpillars one yr an have had oleanders for around 8 yrs. I immediately squashed them in the cocoons they made on my house and have not had any since. I am sure they will return but I will be ready to squash again.

Ouch do they really bite or sting?? Ewwwwww who would have thought it. Yuck they are ugly too.
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

July 30, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8007925

We are lucky here in Australia in that we don't have any of those nasty caterpillars on our Oleanders,but we do have a butterfly called the common crow which uses the Oleander as a host plant,it is similar looking to the monarch,only slightly smaller and in black rather than the tan of the monarch,even the caterpillar and chrysalis are similar to a degree but I think the oleander chrysalis is even more beautiful as they show a beautiful golden or silver metallic sheen. They look like precious jewels hanging from a leaf http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Common-Crow-Butterfly-chrysalis/ . As kids we used to love collecting them.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8010728

Kay Jones, did you try spraying the plants they eat with bacillus thurengensis? BT is the trade name?? Kills many kinds of catterpillars quickly and is totally non toxic to anything other than the worms! Birds can even eat the dead catt. and no effect. Cheap and easy to use. the more dead worms the less adults later to reproduce.Biologicals are always the best and safest way.
Kyle :-)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8010811

Kyle, I try to hand-pick them, because I have so many desirable cats on them, too. I have spray I COULD use, but choose not to.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Oleanders Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Show us your Oleanders brical1 46 Aug 22, 2010 11:11 PM
My special treasured seedlings brical1 43 Jul 31, 2012 8:07 PM
new forum MickeyAz 0 Aug 4, 2010 10:13 AM
New Photos-Arizona MickeyAz 3 Aug 15, 2010 1:49 AM
photos from Arizona MickeyAz 0 Aug 8, 2010 9:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America