Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Morning Glories: Becky's garden - Summer 2010

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 186, Views: 2,182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7998437

I thought I'd share some of my garden blooms here with everyone. If you aren't interested, then you can just ignore this thread ...

Debra - I miss seeing your garden threads! I loved all the plants you were growing. You have the biggest green thumb when it comes to growing anything and everything! I won't even try to compare my garden plants/blooms with yours, but I do miss seeing your thread.

I'll start off with a few MG blooms. Most of my vines are dying or already gone. New ones are right behind, but no blooms yet ... so figured I'd also show some other blooms in my garden, too! :-)

This is Diluted Fuji no Muraski. No, I haven't changed the name. I know ... I guess I'm not very fashionable. It's easier for me to remember a cultivar by it's original name before it's crossed along with some "additional" name added in to tell me why it is different. In this case the "Diluted" means that there is a blending of colors in this cross. Amazingly, it has grown out true for me. I am very pleased! And I see others here have had the same excellent results! Congrats!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 7:33 AM

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7998462

This is a cross of Diluted Fuji no Muraski with Keiryu from last year. I love the pretty blue in this cross. If I get any seeds ... though so far there are no seed pods forming yet ... y'all know I will share. Please be aware that just because this vine came out this way on it's first grow-out, there is not a guarantee that the F1 vines will look like this. This is not a hybrid. It is simply a cross that may or may not be stable.

Many times there are recessive genes that come out in the F1 or F2 that make it look totally different than the original vine/blooms. I don't know if folks have been disappointed by any seeds they've grown out from me but none of my seeds are hybrids yet. It takes 3, sometimes 4 generations of seed/vine self-pollinating to get a good stable new hybrid. So just be aware of that and you won't be surprised or disappointed.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7998484

This is the typical Silver Wolf bloom on my particular vine. Nice contrast between the lighter foliage and this darker bloom. As the bloom ages it turns very dark (almost a gray-black) but mine rarely stays open in nice form to photograph once it starts wilting. Most of the blooms on this vine look like this one.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7998500

But ... Silver Wolf has produced several "mutant" blooms like this one. It could be a recessive gene in my particular seed or something else. Remember ... every seed can produce a unique vine. Unfortunately, I didn't get but a few seeds, so will be growing out the F1s to see what happens. Who knows ... maybe that is a recessive gene on those blooms and I'll get a vine with blooms like this instead of solid color.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7998509

The two photos above were taken several weeks ago. Being an annual vine, it is now dying, but today I got two more mutant blooms. When the vines are on the decline, the blooms aren't always fully open and pretty, but you can see what I am talking about concerning more unusual blooms. It may be interesting to see what the F1 seeds produce ...

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7998514

Blue Speckles is a new cross this year. But seeds from this vine could produce solid color blooms instead of this speckled pattern. The genetic pool is very vast in many MGs! This is only a cross, not a hybrid. So it's unknown what the seeds will produce...

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7998525

Full Moon (Ukon) came true as an F1 from Dany. But it is considered a rare MG because of low seed production. I found that to be all too true. Most of the blooms did not have pollen. So I had to cross it with other vine blooms. I am growing an F1 currently to see what happens to the yellow gene when crossed.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7998534

This is Yuuzuki. It originated in Japan. At some point, it was renamed here in the USA to Rose Silk. I don't really understand why some of the Japanese cultivars are renamed here. It is confusing because when I look at the two names, I initially think they are two different cultivars, but often they are not. I know that there are quite a few Japanese MGs that go by several different names, but when you compare them side by side, they are the same. Go figure!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 4:01 PM

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7998554

I always get a kick out of how the bloom colors change as the day goes on. If I didn't know that these bloom in the photo were the same bloom taken in the morning and then later in the afternoon, I'd think they were two totally different cultivars. It's almost like you get two MGs for the pleasure of one!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7998568

The Speckled blooming vines are always fascinating. This one is currently growing ... actually almost done with it's life cycle. But here are the typical blooms. Very large blooms with speckles on them. No two blooms are exactly the same.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7998575

But it's neat to see the solid blooms on these vines! So is this the solid color that was crossed with a speckled bloom to get this color of speckles? It's all so interesting!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7998583

And sometimes ... you get something completely bizarre such as this bloom that is mainly solid purple with a speckled margin. Isn't Mother Nature grand?!!!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 4:23 PM

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7998607

Unfortunately, some cultivars are low seed producers as is this vine. One pod on the entire vine. But I was warned that would happen. At least with 1seed, I can try growing it out again! :-)

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7998623

I am growing my vines in 5 gallon containers. They grow quite large. The root system extends down to the bottom of the containers by the time their life cycle is done. I place my vines at least 4' apart, otherwise they grow and spread into each other. They sure are gorgeous when they get this big!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7998644

One of my favorite new cultivars this year was Sidare. It is a weeping MG. Perfect for hanging baskets!

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 26, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7998663

I enjoyed your thread very much. You have been blessed with a MG
green thumb but then you also grow lots of other gorgeous plants too. Congrats on your amazing blooms!!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7998676

Thanks Helena for reading my thread.

I hope I get lots of seeds to trade/share from all my grow-outs this year. I just hope folks understand that all the crosses I am growing are NOT stable and can produce entirely different blooms than what you see here. Only some, mostly the Japanese, are likely to come true. But that is only if they weren't crossed by open-pollination with another cultivar. No guarantees with my seeds! I don't know how the seed companies do it to ensure their packs have a specific cultivar.

I love Brugs, too. This is Equador Pink that I thought I had lost, but it began producing new leaves, so I transplanted it in a self-watering container and look at it now! :-)

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 5:10 PM

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7998678

The hummers love this Crocosmia!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7998683

Some cyber-friends shared/traded their crossed daylily seeds with me. I had about 60 different NOIDs this year. This one is my favorite. Large bloom and fan and has been blooming for almost 2 months. Still going strong while all the others have stopped blooming for the season.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7998691

The hummers also love the nectar from the red Shrimp Plant. I have a lot of red blooming plants in my garden for those little birdies. :-)

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7998698

I am growing Ixora shrubs to divide garden rooms. These are native of Malaysia and referred to as Flame of the Woods. Love the bloom clusters!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7998704

It's not even Fall yet, but my Sweet Autumn Clematis is already blooming! These vines are doing a wonderful job of covering my mini-pergola trellis. I hope it eventually covers the entire sides and top of the pergola! :-)

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7998710

All of my Plumeria were killed to the ground this past Winter except this one. I moved it into one of the self-watering containers and it has gotten to be a nice size. The root system on these are very modest for such a large plant.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7998713

This is a pink coral vine that I started from seed a year ago and potted up this year. It has taken off! I tried to shape into a heart but it's not cooperating. Though it is blooming! A really pretty vine!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7998716

Oops! Here is the Pink Coral Vine...

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7998719

I dug up some Boxwood shrubs in the front yard and then didn't have the heart to toss them in the trash, so I pruned them back hard ... really hard to the point you could say they were butchered. I didn't think any would make it because of being cut back so drastically, but 7 out of 8 did! These are tough little shrubs ... now Bonsai trees. LOL! As you can see, I am still learning about the art of making Bonsai plants. LOL!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7998723

This is one of my favorite plants ... Rainlilies! Whenever it rains here, they grow seemingly overnight and bloom for several days!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7998732

My Chinese Evening Glory vine is still going strong! It's a perennial MG and blooms in the late winter/early spring.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7998766

Becky, just spectacular blooms. So happy you finally shared some photos with us. I am crazy about your mutant, the diluted Fuji, and the cross with Keiryu.
I love all your speckled blooms. The color blocked bloom is impressive
and this photo is a beauty #8575
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7998771

Thanks so much for your kind compliments, Jackie!

I love that Purple Speckled vine. Only one seed pod on it with one seed. I'll be growing it out again! I was told when I got the seed to grow this vine that it is a stingy seed producer! LOL! They weren't kidding! I got seeds from other MG vines not posted here, but these are the stubborn seed producers photographed above. Thanks for taking a look at my blooms!
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 26, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7999049

Becky - thanks for the garden tour! Love all your pretties! You certainly have a green thumb (or two), LOL.

Joanne ‹
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7999063

Becky, looking good!!! you have got some great crosses here, now, to keep them going and testing them, that will be a real treat when you get to see what you have created. Once you decide which are worthy of keeping, be sure to name them before you trade any of them. Something like I. nil Blueberry Sprinkle, or I. nil Twilight... They could go along with my Kikyo Lt. Blue - Dracula.. (Just a thought)

Glad to see some new stuff coming out. Keep up the good work and I'll be back soon, gotta check on my little fellows.

A.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7999186

Thank you Joanne and Antoinette!

You are right Antoinette ... Making a cross is the easy part, getting a cross to be stable from seed can be another story entirely. It takes a lot of time and commitment! Which is why I haven't created my first true "hybrid" yet. I've made plenty of crosses though! LOL!

Over the years, I've gotten trades that looked nothing like what they were labeled. I always assumed that maybe the wrong seeds were put in the baggies or were mislabeled, but it could be that they were not stable crosses to begin with. They carried recessive genes and looked very different than the parent (mother) vine's blooms. Being a trade, I wasn't too upset. It happens probably more than not with crosses! :-)

It does bother me though when I buy seeds and they don't grow out true. Sometimes I get a nice surprise cross. But if I am spending my hard earned $$'s, I want what I paid for, you know?!!! It's disappointing to say the least.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 10:10 PM

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7999199

Some one here has some gorgeous babies!!!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7999210

Clemen - Hey ya! I'm happy to see you here! Thank you so much for your kind compliment on my crazy blooms! :-)

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7999223

They are not crazy, I love them. Can you believe your seeds have not given me one bloom? i cannot understand it. Anyway, they are growing, maybe they are getting too much fertilizer from the other plants. I know they do not like it. I like those rain liliies, have never seen those.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7999260

Clemen - Are they in full sun? Have you tried Bloom Booster by MiracleGro? I swear by that stuff! Hopefully you will get some soon!
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

July 27, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7999451

Becky, blue speckles and silver wolf are stunning...

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7999554

Thanks Martin!

I hope to have plenty of seeds of Blue Speckles to share! All the seeds were self-pollinated by hand. I didn't cross pollinate that vine at all. And it is away from all the other vines. It has the speckle trait that I like and plenty of pollen. I used it for most all my crosses. But not sure what the seeds will produce since a solid blue bloom is a recessive gene! I also used Sidare for many of my earlier crosses. And may use it again when the new vines start blooming.

Blue Speckles has been the pollen plant for blooms on every vine that is sterile (at one point or another). So it will be very interesting to see what those seeds produce. Sometimes you have to grow out the F1 (which has to be "self"-pollinated) and then grow the F2 to see what you might really get! But even an F3 can produce something different if it is not a stable hybrid. Those dominant and recessive genes can be rather tricky! Of course the goal is to get speckles, but that doesn't always happen. Which makes crossing genes for a particular trait and stabilizing it so difficult! My hat is off to folks who do TRUE hybrids. Anyone can make a cross, but it takes a lot of work to make a new hybrid cultivar.

Anytime you get seeds that are a "cross", don't be surprised if the F1 seeds gives you something quite different than you were expecting. Sometimes that is good and sometimes it can be disappointing.

Silver Wolf is a stingy seed producer and so far I've not gotten but a couple of seeds which I am planning to grow out to try to get more seeds for next year's trades and sharing! :-) With any luck...

On a side note: A dominant trait does not mean "more potent," and recessive does not mean "weaker." Rather, the terms simply refer to the visible trait. And the hidden "recessive" trait can show up in any seed/vine!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7999853

In this post above ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7998623 ) you can see the vines in their containers all lined up along my fence. Most of those vines were spaced anywhere from 2 -3' apart. I have decided to now only grow one or maybe two vines per 4' x 6' bed. The I. nil and I. purpurea vines get really large here. And they like to climb everywhere ... including to each other. If you have ever had that happen, then you know what a bear it is to separate them without breaking or cutting the vines. I have to try to stay on top of it every day. After a while it is a lot of work to babysit them. Which is also why I only grow about 15-20 at a time.

I know everyone got a LOT of seeds in the seed swap. And I apologize for not growing at least one seed from every packet, but I just don't have the room or time or money it takes to do that! I am a selective MG gardener. I personally favor the the I. nils and I am selective about growing cultivars or crosses that are new to me. There are so many cultivars (not to mention infinite crosses), that I could never grow them all in my lifetime even if I started at 15 years old! lol And new hybrids are developed every day in Japan and around the world including here in the USA! :-)

I also like other plants as well as other vines as you may have observed by the other plant photos in this thread.

Trying to keep a vine from being crossed with another cultivar is tricky. If they are too close together, open pollinating can often occur. I know there are a lot of folks here who like the true "pure" named cultivars/hybrids. If you are very careful, it can be done. Vines have to be some distance apart, not right next to each, to prevent that from happening. But even then, bees do fly across my yard to land on a different cultivar's bloom and you know the rest is history!

I gave up trying to keep mine pure two years ago. And I became fascinated with crosses. How else would we get some of these mind-blowing vines/blooms? So I warn everyone who doesn't already know ... if you trade with me, you're very likely to get a cross! It's no secret as many have traded with me in the past and were often surprised by their blooms. The blooms didn't look like mine. And that is probably the case with any crossed cultivars. And it DOES happen a lot!!! Just look at all the folks who come to this forum trying to ID their blooms because they can't match it up from DG PlantFiles or some other source on the internet.

Here are two of my vines (NOID pink and Pink Silk) trying to sneak past me by getting a little too cozy! You can bet any bee around will be crossing these two! LOL! It's amazing how far a single vine can reach to get to another MG! I've had some that reached 6' behind the containers and I didn't even know it until I saw the bloom come up two garden beds away! LOL! Sneaky is not the word for these little darlings!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7999863

With all these blooms, a cross is a very real possibility!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7999878

Well, my blooms right now are not producing pollen on the above vine. Who knows why?

Anyone who knows me, knows about my trusty little artist's paint brush. My motto ... never let a viable bloom wilt without first pollinating it! So I get that trusty brush and pretend to be a bee! LOL!

This year my fascination has been on the "speckles", so I have been fortunate enough to get a seed/vine cross from Antoinette that has tons of speckles and lots of pollen! The grow-outs next year could be rather interesting!

This is the NOID Pink that is also getting the paint brush treatment! :-)

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7999895

As is this NOID blue.

There are several interesting points about the Blue Speckles vine:

1) It has small blooms (almost the size of an I. pupurea) of 3 - 3 1/2", as well as smaller leaves, but is a very large vine! I think it could easily take over a large section of my fence.
2) The blooms are a mix of speckles and blue background petals on many of the vine's flowers.
3) But not all of the blooms look like that! It is a mix of many different characteristics!

Which makes it a most interesting pollen plant. Small vs. larger blooms/leaves. Speckles vs. solid colored blooms. Medium blue vs. all other colors. Could some of the vines produce blue flowers, speckles, and even another color on the same vine? What are the possibilities? Won't know till we grow them out (F1)! And a lot of times, the recessive genes don't show up until the second grow-out (F2)! Such fun!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7999907

I always laugh when I see my vines start off doing this. It's like two strangers avoiding eye contact and leaning away from each other. By the time the vines on the right side start really growing strong ... you can bet the Yuuzuki vine (on the left) will be all over it! LOL! The more blooms in one place, the more likely that bees or other flying critters will come to pollinate them! Each vine's purpose in life is to grow, bloom, and make seeds! So they are smart enough to do whatever it takes to ensure that their genes live on!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #7999930

The more mix of genes you have in a vine, the crazier the blooms. This is my Diluted Fuji no Muraski x Keiryu cross bloom today. Interesting how the bloom looks today, huh?

I find I. nil vine grow-outs more unpredictable than predictable. And that is why I don't get bored growing them. It's a continuous story that keeps me on the edge of my seat from morning to morning waiting to turn the page to see what's awaiting me out in the yard! :-)

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #8000138

That last one is gorgeous!!!

Most of them are in half shade. I know I will get blooms soon, one of them is going wild and yes I am using the bloom booster, weekly.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 27, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #8000273

You could write a book about all the different crosses you're seeing Becky. Holy cow. I too love that last one - stunning!

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #8000665

Hi Becky, your MGs are spectacular!! The mutants are to die for! I ♥♥♥ Silver Wolf!
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 27, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8000668

All stunningly beautiful Becky!!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #8000808

So pretty Becky, I love it.
Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

July 27, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8001079

What a feast for the eyes Becky! You have amazing talents with the plant kingdom. They must recognize you when you come to tend them.
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 28, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8001661

Becky,

I have serious MG Envy! Your flowers are beautiful as always...

Elsa
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8001888

Thanks to all of you for the very nice compliments of my bloom photos.

Some of you reading this may think that I am rambling on and on about myself, but in fact the main purpose for creating this thread was to share information with you about what I have learned over the past 4 years growing MGs. I was a newbie not that long ago, as some of you may recall ...

I do not mean to tease anyone with the MG bloom photos posted above. Many of those are stingy seed producers and I will not have enough seeds for trading. Some came directly from Japan and are very new ... and to my knowledge haven't been released by the Japanese commercial seed companies yet. (Maybe I am wrong, but I've not seen any of them advertised for sale.) The seeds were shared with me by several very kind and generous MG seed traders. I believe the reason they are rare is because of the fact that they don't produce many seeds. Some have very unusual qualities which would make them highly desirable. Others are nice, but do not knock my socks off ... I think a "desirable" MG is a preference. A personal preference.

In my years here on this forum, I have seen folks go to great lengths trying to obtain the newest and rarest MGs. Some cultivars may have been worth the effort, but others made me wonder what the big deal was all about! lol Maybe a bit of an obsession? These vines CAN be a bit addicting... lol

I found myself getting wrapped up in the frenzy ... and it was a let down. I have obtained and grown out some very unusual vines, only to be disappointed personally. The Japanese have created some really unusual cultivars in recent years. Some of the flower shapes look shredded. In photos they are beautiful, but as I have discovered ... much smaller than I personally prefer. Some were actually insignificant in comparison to the foliage and vine itself. It's always amazing to me how a photograph can indeed be very deceiving to the viewer.

I have learned to discern for myself what these vines and blooms really look like in real life. I know what I personally like and those unusual cultivars do not really appeal to me at this time. And I don't mean to discount those lovely cultivars as I am sure they are VERY unique and beautiful indeed. Like I said, it is a personal preference.

I have looked at many commercial seed/plant catalogs and they know how to advertise to get buyers! It is so easy to get excited about their newly introduced plants. But when I grew some of those out, they were not what I thought they would be. LOL! Maybe I am evolving personally as a gardener. I like to think so. I have come to the realization that I can only grow so many plants in a season with my limited yard space. So I've become more discriminating about WHAT I want to grow. I now decide what it is that I REALLY want in a plant and that is what I focus my attention on, not the latest and greatest new cultivars.

How do I chose? I personally decide what I want by size, color, habit, and how well it will grow in my zone. And it is still a trial and error for me. But it is also a process of elimination in narrowing down what I need to be looking at when deciding what to grow each year.

There are endless choices of MGs! Here is a collage of some of my own personal favorites from last year's grow-outs! Many of these I shared seeds of in the seed swap. But be warned ... if they were a cross, not a hybrid or true cultivar ... they may not come true to my photographs!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8001911

I want to show you another mutant bloom from my Silver Wolf vine. I have no idea if this mutant bloom was caused internally (genes) or externally (fertilizer perhaps?), but I was quite taken back by it! My photo may be the only way I will ever remember it if it never produces any F1 vines showing similar characteristics. But it was certainly an inspiring bloom to behold (in my eyes!).

I find it amazing how MGs can produce such blooms with such intricate detail of colors, patterns, and shapes ... even if for a fleeting moment. They are incredible plants! :-)

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 9:06 AM

dany12
szarvas
Hungary

July 28, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8002184

Becky, beautiful pictures!
In fact we know nothing of the origin of these cultivars. The term of the same Silver Wolf is a name given by the public. At the University of Kyushu they talk about Black Dove. This year I could get 5 seeds of Q 1210, I supposed to be Silver Wolf.
There is another dark gray: Q 1231 they call it 'Sunshine Excluded Black Dove'.

Your could be Black Sazanami.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8003338

Nice Silver Wolf mutant Becky.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #8004527

Thanks so much, Dany and Jackie!

Dany - I am not surprised at the naming by the "public" of many of the Kyushu University hybrids! Was the vine crossed until it became an actual hybrid? That is my question. Or is it still just a cross that is not stable? If it is a hybrid, then it would be fair to say than the Kyushu University created that cultivar regardless of the name, right? And they should be recognized for it as such!

That brings up a real dilemma about ethics. The Japanese universities and even some of the seed companies that created those new hybrid cultivars should be recognized for their hard work, right?! I have heard that seed companies steal from each other. This happens all the time in other countries including the USA. They get seeds from their competitors. They rename it and sell them as their "new" hybrid. Under a different name, many buyers really believe it is a new cultivar. At least until they grow it out and discover it's the same vine as the hybrid company (who created it in the first place). How ethical is it to make a profit off another company's hard work? AND ... is it dishonest for commercial seed companies to deceive their customers? I sure have to wonder.

I think if I was a customer and saw a new cultivar name, that I might be tempted to buy it, but ... I'd be pretty mad to find out that I already had seeds for it or had already purchased it a year earlier under the original name. I basically just wasted my money on a duplicate seed pack. And I sure would think twice about buying from that company again. I'd be afraid that I might get cheated again on another seed pack of a different cultivar.

Here are some Japanese Commercial Seed Company websites that seasonally sell MG seeds: (You'll need the google translator program to find their listing of MGs.) How many of these sell MG seeds that are the same cultivar/hybrid but going by a different name and what were they called originally and who was the hybridizer?
tohokuseed.co.jp
atariya.net
takii.co.jp
Sakata.co.jp

This activity goes on in many countries including America! The renaming and claiming of plant cultivars is probably more common than we know. Which is probably why some hybridizers patent their cultivars. Can't blame them ... they did all the work!!! It is definitely an ethical dilemma. And I guess it comes down to the profits that these companies make from all those seeds...

There is a lot of work involved in creating a hybrid. It can take 3-4 grow-outs from the original vine: F1, F2, F3, and maybe an F4. It could take 2-4 years depending on what kind of climate/zone you live in. I live in a tropical zone, so I can get 2 sometimes 3 grow-outs in a year. And sometimes I grow them indoors in my window over the winter months. So I am really fortunate to have the right climate for MG vines. But not everyone does. Though I do believe Japan has a similar climate as we do here in Florida.

Here is a DG thread on hand-pollinating MG blooms: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/732341/ And this is the page in Dr. Yoneda's website book: http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Introduction/htmls/43.html

So as you can see, there is a lot of clinical and precise work involved when hand-pollinating. My own way is far from precise unless I am working with a partially sterile vine, which affords me the perfect opportunity and I usually take it! But most hybridizers don't have that luxury, and it takes much more work.

I had talked to Karen (gardener2005) about hybridizing. Many of you know about her work with Speckles and Kikyo MG vines:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1015262/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989077/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989074/

She very kindly gave me a little insight on what it takes to make a hybrid. I hope she doesn't mind my sharing her information. The following is quoted from her:

"Pick two flowers you see things you`d like to combine in one. Like you want a large flower that has the color of another flower. You cross for the F1. F1 stands for filial generation one and you write it without getting carpal tunnel. Then grow your F1 and "tie" (see her method above) to self as many blooms as you can. Then do a grow out. There are some results desired that might require a larger grow out to find them. This is where the culling (removing) comes in handy. You cull out the ones not conforming and it makes room for the good ones you want to keep and it reduces the potential of creating a overcrowded disease and insect problem environment."

And of course, from there I know that you have to repeat those steps by growing out the F2 seeds and culling out all but the vines that are displaying the characteristics that you want in your new hybrid. Then you tie and "self" the vines and then grow out the resulting F3 seeds. Once again growing and culling/removing all vines except the ones that are showing the desirable traits for your new hybrid. An F4 grow-out may be necessary if you are seeing unstable characteristics in any of the vines. The more complex the characteristics, the more grow-outs may be required to get a stable new hybrid.

Note: When I write "self", that means that you have to pollinate the bloom with pollen from it's own bloom or other blooms on the same vine. This helps ensure that the characteristics you want become THE dominate genes so that those traits show up time and time again from any blooms you see on a vine and any seeds you grow from that vine.

But always keep in mind that a recessive gene could show up, which can sometimes be a good thing which might add to the beauty of your hybrid.

Here is a prime example of a recessive gene that seems to show up from time to time in my Silver Wolf vine. This was one of the blooms on it this morning! Very interesting what cultivar might have been used in the creation of Silver Wolf. I would never have thought of a blizzard or striped cultivar having been used.

And your idea about creating a Sazanami x Silver Wolf is a very good one, Dany! I might just have to try doing a cross like that to see what it produces! Thanks for the great idea!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 12:36 PM

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8004670

Well, I'm sure that was a big surprise, lol, very pretty though
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8004707

Thanks, Jackie!

I want to mention to everyone that Karen (gardener2005) doesn't know I quoted her in my post above, nor that I linked to the hybrid forum to her threads. She is no longer a member on DG, so I sure hope she doesn't mind my using her work as an example of creating a hybrid.

I find it VERY interesting how and what she managed to create into hybrids. I haven't done that myself, so can't show y'all my work, cause I just do crosses. I might take up the challenge and create a hybrid one day though. It seems very fascinating, with a touch of the unexpected thrown in!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 29, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8004715

Very good information regarding hybridizing.. I am anxious to grow several of Karen's crosses, I just got 7 packs from her and she sent me so many extras... all speckled kikyos and large flowered. I noticed that several people here are growing her speckled crosses and it is good to know that the DG members support her in a big way. Hopefully she will get credit as the hybridizer for those and they make it into the plantfiles before someone else takes credit.

Is that video tutorial she did for us still here on DG.. that was pretty neat and easy to follow. I'm sure that helped even the older mg growers that didn't/don't know how to pollinate. I like Dr. Yoneda's site too.

Thanks Becky..

Antoinette

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 1:17 PM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8004753

Antoinette - I looked for the video and it is not here on DG. Was it here or some place else? Great idea to include that video in this thread. It was really neat to see, especially for someone like me who is a visual learner. LOL!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 29, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8004787

I believe it was here on DG, maybe it was linked to her homepage, or U-tube. Hopefully someone here bookmarked it. I've got to finish some projects here and then I'll help look for the link if you like.

A.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #8004790

A - That would be great! I'd love to have a link here to reference it. That video was pretty cool! Thanks for reminding me about it! :-)
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8006392

I really enjoyed doing the group seed swap last year and got so many wonderful species and cultivars of MG seeds from everyone! I hope the participants enjoyed it as much as I did!

Again, I apologize to anyone who got a ďcrossĒ from me that doesnít look like the photos I posted. I wish I couldíve shared all hybrids, but Iíve yet to attempt to create stable vines/seeds.

Trading vs. buying seeds is a topic that has some interest to me. I would imagine that most of us do both! I truly enjoy trading with folks! I love sharing what I grew in my garden in hopes that others get as much joy from the plants as I did. And I love getting otherís seeds to grow out. When I grow out a vine that I really like and it was shared with me, it becomes that much more special! I think of the kindness and generosity of that person and how grateful I am that they shared something so beautiful with me! Sharing and trading makes communities! And we, here on this forum and other websites, have formed a community because of what we have shared not only in trades, but also in photos, personal correspondence, and posts. It has brought the world closer to home for me. How else could I trade seeds with folks across the USA and in other countries? The internet has opened up possibilities for me that I could never have otherwise. Isnít the World Wide Web truly wonderful?!!! :-)

For me, gardening is a bit of an expense. Due to the fact that I have gone to container gardening, it requires a bit more work and money initially. Using 5 gallon containers for most of my plants is a lot of potting mix! I have learned to buy in larger quantities at a substantial discount and I have also learned to mix my own potting mix for my zone and climate. And I buy fertilizer as well. In spending money for the basics, that leaves my garden budget about depleted when it comes to purchasing seeds and/or plants. Trading seeds is a way for me to get what I might not otherwise be able to afford. With the current economic recession, things are tight and I know it is for a lot of other folks, too! Last yearís seed swap was great! I got a LOT of seeds for just a little bit of work and money. And for those participants, it was basically for the cost of postage to send and receive their share of seeds! As well as perhaps purchasing seed zipbags and labels. The work involved for most participants was collecting seeds to send. Or in the case of a few folks ... purchasing seeds to trade in the swap. But when I looked at the sheer amount of seeds we each got in that swap ... what a DEAL!!!

I, personally, do mostly seed trading. Very little purchasing. But on occasion I will purchase some unopened original Japanese seed packs. Iíve found them to be a bit expensive but worth the money. When I buy commercial JMGs, I am usually pretty confident that I am getting what is photographed on the seed packet. I havenít been disappointed with any of the seeds Iíve grown from those Japanese packs. They usually come true to the cultivar. I do know that they are coated to help them germinate, though I know some folks have complained about low germination. I think the trick is to make sure the temps are higher when sowing them to prevent seed rot. I. nils especially do the best in higher temps of high 70ís and up! So when I purchase, itís for cultivars straight from Japan.

Sometimes there are new Japanese cultivars that are hard to find. I truly appreciate all the folks who have traded/shared these rare ones with me! Most traders are very generous as I found over the years. And any that arenít good seed traders ... well, I just wonít trade with them again.

I know that there are a lot of sellers on DGís MarketPlace. Probably some folks from this forum sell there. I have no issue with sellers unless what they are advertising/selling is not what they send or the seeds are old and wonít germinate. Iíve run into both scenarios. I have the utmost respect for honest and reliable sellers. I wonít purchase again from sellers who arenít.

Iíve had numerous folks ask me why I donít sell. Many reasons:
1) Selling requires a lot of time and work! It takes many years to build up a business and clientele.
2) Seeds don't always come true especially if the seeds are crosses instead of hybrids. That might bring the wrath of poor ratings on a seed selling business if customers are unhappy and disappointed with the vines/blooms they grow from my seeds. Of course, if most ratings can only be added for the first 30 days after a purchase, then I might be good to go! (Most vines donít bloom within 30 days, so you wonĎt know if what you are growing is what you actually purchased.) Of course, I don't know how many repeat customers I would have if I did that.
3) MOST important reason for me, personally - selling can take the fun out of gardening if the profit becomes the priority.

I garden as a hobby! I love the barter system and meeting folks online from all over the world. I enjoy sharing information, photos, and trading seeds! Many thanks to all who have generously traded with me over the years! :-)

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 10:05 AM

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 30, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8006492

Becky, I'm sure happy I've been able to trade with you. Your blooms are out of this world, gorgeous!! Can't ask for better than that!! Thanks for sharing your seeds with me!!

Your blooms are awesome, you just leave us drooling!!!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 30, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8006516

Becky, I couldn't find that video, it may be in the middle of some thread, hopefully someone else can provide us a link to it.

I am, however, bumping up her tutorial so that it can get seen.

A.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #8006517

It's mutual! I've had some great vines and some gorgeous blooms from yours as well! Thanks for so kindly sharing so much with me! You are a wonderful trader and gardener! So glad that I've met folks like you here on DG! The pleasure has been all mine!!!

Here is a Sazanami that is possibly a cross. It may be a cross because the color is lavender instead of blue! One of my absolute favorite vines!!!!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8006522

Antoinette - Good idea!

Making a cross is not that difficult.

But ... making a stable "hybrid" that comes true from seed takes a LOT more work! I shall strive to try that next year!

I like Nike's saying, "Go for it!" I think I will! :-)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2010

Post #8007072

That is a beautiful Saz Becky. Love the Lavender throat and rays
with the blue.
If that is the mutant x Keiryu above, post ending 6392, it just keeps getting
better and better.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 2:04 PM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8009272

One of the most valuable things shared here in the MG Forum community is the valuable posts full of questions, information, and photos. Truly outstanding! This forum has a wonderful sticky thread for everyone to read and reference any time. Many, many peopleís posts and work have contributed to that thread! There is so much information in that thread that it literally boggles my mind to read through it!

I donít have a Bachelor or Masters Degree in Botany or Entomology. I wished I did! When I read some of the posts, internet links, and discussions relating to topics in the sticky as well as some of the other posts on this forum, I do my best to try to fully understand the information. But I must confess that some of it goes right over my head ! And sometimes I am not quite clear about written instructions. I just happen to need a little extra information such as a photo or video. Which is why I posted the links to gardener2005ís hand-pollination and Yonedaís website page above in a previous post. Great visual cues for me to fully understand details. A picture speaks a 1000 words, as they say, and I have to agree! :-)

I appreciate the fact that gardener2005 went the extra mile to actually take step by step photos. I suppose anyone could have done that, but only she did. Iíve since tried to do the same for others. I appreciate the effort made on behalf of those of us who need that extra bit of helpful information.

I really like Yonedaís website and his online book, so if you have not had the chance to really look through it, I encourage you to check it out! It holds a wealth of information. There are many other sites, too! But Yonedaís is one that I refer to over and over again. It seems to be written in laymanís terms that I can easily understand. http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/menu.html

I donít know about other people, but I am a hands-on learner. I can read about other peopleís experiences or experiments, but it often doesnít really stick with me until I actually do it myself. I learn best by doing! And I've learned a lot since first coming onboard here several years ago!

Iíve been growing out seeds from trades for a number of years. Sometimes I get exactly what I was expecting per the traders/sellers photos and other times I get something that makes me wonder where the seeds really came from. I will admit that many times I figured the person either mixed up the seeds or mislabeled them. But in most cases, I now suspect that the seeds were F2 seeds of crosses that didnít exhibit/carry the same dominate genes as the F1 vine.

Gardener2005 recently shared with me from her own experimenting. She stated that in her own grow-outs that the F2 seeds that are a cross of a speckled bloom and a solid color bloom will yield roughly a 10% occurance of a speckled one, so I should start a lot of seeds and pick through the vines as they bloomed. I was thinking about that ... out of 10 seeds, maybe only 1 is speckled or out of 20 seeds, 2 are speckled? Hmmmm ... the odds of F2 being true are not as great as the F1 seeds. So that means that many of the crosses I share with folks here will most likely not grow true to the F1 I grew. That explained to me why a ďhybridĒ is so different than a ďcrossď.

I donít know how many other folks here have ever tried to create a hybrid. Gardener2005 was the only one I know of on the MG Forum who did and actually shared her info about it. I falsely assumed that once I crossed two MG blooms, I created a brand new cultivar. Geez was I ever wrong! And I was totally surprised when folks I traded with got something quite different. I KNEW I labeled the seeds correctly, as I am meticulous about collecting seeds and bagging them by vine cultivar name. I had no idea what was going on until Gardener2005 told me. Was she the only one who knew this because of her own experimenting and efforts to create a hybrid? Which is why I am sharing this information with folks here on the forum now. I didnít know and I wondered how many others didnít either.I hope this information is as helpful to you as it has been to me! Itís been quite an education.

So now I am wondering if I will get the same odds with the Blue Speckles seeds I am collecting? Might be a fun experiment to try as a grow-out! I also had a lot of partially sterile vines on my current grow-out and guess which vines I used pollen from to fertilize all these vines? LOL! Yes sir! I used Blue Speckles and Sidare who both produced pollen consistently. So my seeds this year may definitely NOT come true to the parent vine/blooms! Just warning yíall! :-)

Maybe they will exhibit solid blue blooms? Small blooms? Speckled blooms? Blizzard blooms? Rayed blooms? The wide range of possibilities are most interesting to me! And if I do the grow-outs and work to stabilize these genes, does anyone care? I have to wonder, if YOU put in the time, effort, and work to create your own hybrid, would you want your name listed as the hybridizer for it in places like PlantFiles? So that folks know who to contact for information or questions? Or even to get a little recognition for your work? Something to ponder ...

Here are some of the different blooms taken of my Blue Speckles vine. An interesting variety. Which sure has me wondering what the F2 vines will produce! :-)

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010 5:55 PM

BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

July 31, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #8009281

Becky, I just looked at all your pictures and they are great! I never knew there was so many different types and colors of morning glories-here in McMinnville, TN (The Nursery Capital of The World) they grow everywhere wild.
I have a special 1 growing or should I say covering my mailbox that I am waiting to bloom so I can post pictures. I am so glad Cibarius hooked me up with Dave's Garden 'cause I just love it!!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8009292

Jackie - Thank you for the bloom compliments! :-)

Boopsie - Welcome to the world of morning glories! I look forward to seeing a photo of your bloom! :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #8010013

Becky, I just found this thread and your work and efforts are very clear in your dedication to growing those beautiful moring glorys.
I love your containers and your other flower pictures as well. That coral vine does look like it has a heart shape, by the way.

Does this bloom look familiar to you?

Thumbnail by joeswife

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

July 31, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #8010192

Becky,

I think part of our love / fascination with JMG is due to the fact that one can never be 100% sure what the flowers will look like when you plant the seed. It is like telling your parents as a kid, that you want this, this and that for your birthday, and on the day you start opening your present, full of excitement, but not knowing exactly what will be inside. I like the feeling of anticipation I have every morning, not being sure what will be waiting for me on the vines... I suspect it is the child in me that just can't get enough of growing MGs, especially crosses and OP seeds. LOL!
SO, thank you for every seed you send / sent me as they are much appreciated, and treated as a capsule of magic.

Elsa
dany12
szarvas
Hungary

July 31, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #8010231

For 2011 I want this one as capsule of magic in my garden!
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2010/07/31/beckygardener/51315f.jpg
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #8010762

Thanks, Elsa and Dany! That Blue Speckled is an unusual blooming vine for sure! I, too, like it! I just wish it had much larger blooms! The blooms are only 3 - 3 1/2" diameter.

This is what I am afraid is going to happen from the F2 seeds. This bloom showed up on the vine today! I may do a grow-out now ... of say 10-15 seeds to see what I get. I would be very interested to know if many or few seeds produce blooms like the F1 has. How very disappointing it would be for anyone getting the F2 seeds to have blooms that don't exhibit the speckles. It is the speckles that make it such a neat looking vine!

Elsa - You are right about no 100% guarantee of knowing what we will get from a seed. Unfortunately, I have limited space to grow MGs every year. I have personal preferences and that's what I want to see grow and bloom. There has been many times I have grown a seed thinking it would have some amazing traits such as the F1 vine had, only to be disappointed to get a solid color bloom instead. I like getting similar vines/blooms as someone's beautiful bloom post that made me want it in the first place! I don't know how many others here feel the same way, but it's a personal preference for me. MGs are all beautiful in their own way!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8010810

I wished that gardener2005 was still a member here so I could get more information about her grow-outs to get the desired traits in any new cultivar/hybrid. She has her family and other interests and told me that she doesn't really have the time for forums anymore. I truly understand. There are days when I think I spend entirely too much time on my computer. So now it is my decision whether I want to try my hand at creating a stable new cultivar/hybrid.

This community here on the MG Forum (and actually DG as a whole) is like an extended community of family and friends. I can honestly say that most of the people I've met here (and on other forums, too) have been very helpful, kind, and generous. And like many friendships ... people come and go in my life, but some folks stay a part of it far longer than I ever expected. I've made some close friends here and hope to continue sharing our love for life and for MGs ... I enjoy a little humor thrown in, maybe sharing some personal insight about ourselves, and even corresponding off the forums. Who'd have ever thought when the first computer was built that it would become a social network for people to share their lives and common interests! Y'all ROCK!!! Thanks for giving me such a wonderful ride! I hope to share many more with you in the future!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 11:12 AM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8011038

Debra - Your bloom photo: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8010013 is lovely! It appears to be a cross! Did it come from me and does it have a name label?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #8011129

I was trying to find the bottom of it this am, Becky, but it got too hot and I had to come in. I will keep looking, I have a tag for each seed planted, but the mulch is covering them up. Pretty sure it is supposed to be a Mauve Splash. Will let you know what I found.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #8011253

Blue Speckles is one of my favorites this season too Dany
Becky, I love the bloom you think folks would be disappointed to find each morning. I think its wonderful in every way. :-)
I thought I had sent this post already, wonder where it went?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8011418

Becky, couldn't read the tag it as faded.. *sigh* Your kikyo pink is vining, i used a paint pen on that tag.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8012002

Debra - I have no idea! Let's see what the next blooms produce. It's really pretty and I like the blending at the ends of the petals. Definitely different and quite lovely!

Jackie - Well, the disappointment with Blue Speckles may be that the bloom from the seeds might produce solid blue blooms instead of the cool speckles. I think everyone likes it for the speckles, so it would be a disappointment to be just a solid blue color!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 1, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #8012285

Becky, Very nice eye candy, I miss seeing these babies in person. Those blues are really nice with the white rays almost taking over.

Elsa, how did the cactus seeds do that I sent you, and the Gourds, hopefully you got a good crop. I know you said your son was so excited to get them but I never heard back from you.

Jackie, the blue speckles are really neat, who would have thought that so many varieties were going to crop up in both the I. nils and Purpureas.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #8012477

Well, I like it anyway because I love color blocked blooms as well as
the speckles. lol
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #8018768

Antoinette and Jackie - Thank you! :-)

My Silver Wolf vine is barely alive but is still producing one or two blooms a day. It turned out to be almost sterile. Few seeds. I will grow out the couple that I got and hope for better luck on the next grow out with them.

Today one of the blooms on the vine was most interesting! It had not one, but two relatively large flags coming from the throat. It looked more like a carnation or peony bloom to me than a MG. Sure wished it had produced more seeds!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 6:09 PM

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 4, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #8018843

Wow Becky that is an awesome bloom!! Just beautiful.

My vine is still doing good and climbing, I'm hoping for more blooms.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8018892

Becky, that is drop dead gorgeous.

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8019227

Just stunning!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8018768

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #8019325

Really Lovely, I love that look on that one. What is its name? Silver Wolf?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #8019436

Thanks everyone! It was definitely an odd bloom today. I can't believe the vine is still alive. And these weird blooms must be coming from somewhere in the genetic background of these cultivars. I wonder if this might have come from Kyushu University. I saw one on their website with flowers like the normal Silver Wolf blooms from last year's grow-outs. Interesting, huh?

This message was edited Aug 5, 2010 12:11 AM
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 4, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #8019534

Becky,

Silver Wolf definitely takes first prize this year. An absolute winner!

Antoinette,

The cactus seeds has a sad story to it: the first batch got drowned by the gardener, and then the second sowing was poisoned by him, using weedkiller to get rid of some weeds in between the paving bricks. Needless to say he has been banished from my garden apart from cutting the grass. I don't use any poisons, so it was not received well...

Elsa
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8020306

I want to show y'all a couple of crosses.

This is one of Antoinette's that I got a year or so ago from her.

This is Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye.

Can you see the bloom features of both those cultivars in this bloom? I can. Pretty cool cross!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8020322

And this one is a cross from this Spring. It is Full Moon (Yukon) which is a pale yellow bloom crossed with Blue Speckles. This is the 3rd bloom on this new vine. None of the blooms are opening completely. So ... not sure what the deal is with that!

The bad thing is that the yellow bloom color is a recessive gene in this cross. The blooms are white (not yellow) with the blue speckles. The seeds came from Full Moon. It was a partially sterile vine. No pollen production and so I had to cross it with pollen from another MG. I was warned that the Yellow Moon tended to be sterile. It's true, unfortunately. It will be interesting to see what the F2 will produce from the seeds of this vine. Will the yellow show up, will the speckles return, or will it produce something else entirely. THAT is the question!

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #8020970

Love that last bloom Becky. Hope the yellow shows back up in future
blooms.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 6, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #8021911

Becky, that Silver Wolf looks great. It will be interesting to see the Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye (from parks) cross's next flowers...
Is Full Moon the name of a I. nil? Lots of people are crossing many speckles with the Kikyo's.. as you can see, they generated a whole bunch of interest from several growers.

Elsa, let me know if you need more seeds, some of the Golden Barrel cactus have fruit on them now. Sorry that happened to you. How did the gourds do?

By the way Becky, all of my plumeria bit the dust this year too.. I still have 4 or 5 Clematis and all the passies are goners too.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010

Post #8029430

Jackie - Me, too! Here is a photo of the bloom from Full Moon x Blue Speckles. It is creating a beautiful large white bloom with blue speckles. I am curious to see what the F1 looks like from this cross.

Gourd - Your Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye cross is wonderful! I'll post a photo here next! So sorry to hear that you lost a lot of your plants this past winter, too! We had such a cold, cold winter for Florida! I lost all my passifloras too. This year I am growing them in containers. Will move them to the garage if need be!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8029442

A - Here is the current bloom from Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye. Dark pink x blue = a light purple! LOL! I love it! A neat cross and very pretty bloom!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #8029610

I've started 15 seeds in cups in the plastic bins! One cup has a Silver Wolf seed in it. Today I saw one of the seeds sprout already! The 15 seeds are from the Blue Speckles vine. I want to see how many of the vines produce speckled flowers. This is a grow-out to stablize the speckled blooms. I hope I can get a couple of vnes that have those same blue speckled flowers on them!

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 5:14 PM

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #8029689

Love those last 2 blooms Becky

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #8030195

me too!
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 9, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8030427

Antoinette,

He would love some seed if you have, but please don't put yourself out to collect.

Becky,

Holding thumbs for your grow-out.

Elsa
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2010
12:56 AM

Post #8030650

Becky nice blooms! Every square foot of trellis in my garden is jammed packed with Mgs, I wish I could start more!

Thumbnail by Jiny

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 10, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8030972

Becky, that looks purple to me also, but, those Tie Dyes that year were a blue purple from Parks, so anything is possible.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2010 8:21 AM
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

August 12, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #8034911

Becky, the dark spots on the leaves http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7998509 it this rust?

Martin

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #8036761

Good eye, martin. I just now went back to look. I get breath taken away at the blooms. I can't wait for my tie dye to bloom.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8036771

Get some Tie Dye's from Parks Seeds, you can get some nice flowers you can "Isolate"
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #8036773

Jon, very nice pinks there.. looking good in the neighborhood!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8036780

Martin - The dark leaves are the result of rust. The rust is actually the orange color clusters on some of the leaves. You can see it if you look closely at the photo. Rust forms on the underside of the leaves.

Thanks to everyone for the kind compliments on my blooms! It is a joy to go through the garden every morning! I feel like Debra ... I may just have to be late for work when I go back in a week! LOL!

Here are some new blooms from today...

This is Antoinette's large Chocolate Blizzard ... which I like the name Blushing Bride for this one! It is really a beautiful bloom!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #8036782

Jon - Your blooms are looking to the sky! Lovely indeed! I am just amazed at all the blooms you are getting on that vine! :-)

This is a Pie in the Eye ... Blue Speckles.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #8036783

Becky, is that one from today? Just very nice!!! That is a good name too.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #8036786

Plum Shadows. (Bloom #1)

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #8036790

Yes! That was taken today, Antoinette! :-)

This is Plum Shadows (bloom #2). Totally a surprise!

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #8036801

That blue speckles is very interesting like that, it looks good, just the contrast alone makes a statement...

Now Plum Shadows has a very nice center/throat, it almost looks like if it has been painted red in the middle.. I've never seen these two shades together, they may exist, I just haven't seen them.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #8036814

A - I thought the Plum Shadows was quite different, too. I agree that the color combo is very unusual. I really like it! Thanks for sharing that one with me!

This is my Full Moon x Blue Speckles. Larger bloom and it seems to have a yellow throat. I am so tickled to get this cross! It will be interesting to see what the F1 seeds produce.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #8036820

A - Here is a bloom today from your Fuji Shibori x Ten Ten! Love it!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #8036824

Ishidatami solid petal sporting a spider! :-)

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8036826

Oh, be still my heart... Please save me a couple of seed for the Full Moon x Blue Speckles if you get some... I've got that fertilizer on my list for Sat or Sun and will get you one when I get mine.. They should have some on the shelves here and maybe it is on sale, if it is, I'll grab a couple for you.

Gosh, I can hardly wait to start some for this winter..
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #8036838

A - I hope to get seeds from that bad boy! The Blue Speckles was a great seed maker! So hopefully those genetics will pass along on the cross, as Full Moon was a stingy seed producer and I had to cross it to get the seeds I did from it! :-/

Here is double Jishi. So pretty!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #8036841

Kikyo Lace single petal bloom with a flag in the throat. Beautiful!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #8036843

Fuji Musume (Wisteria Girl) from Darren. Thanks for sharing, Darren!

Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:54 PM

Post #8036844

I cant even begin to compete with that Becky, both in terms of quantity and quality but I'm trying in my first year.
Soon I will post my result for the year, until then I wish everybody the success I seem to have enjoyed!
I owe a great deal to some of the help and advice I have received and I thank you all for that.
We've had our ups and downs, but hey that's gardening for you! Thank you all.

Jon
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #8036845

Dany's NOID. Can you see the tiny ant at the entrance to the throat? I wonder what it thinks looking into the throat from that vantage point? I wonder if ants see in color! Can you imagine that if you were that little ant? Crazy, huh?

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #8036852

Jon - You jest, my friend! Your garden was amazing this year! For a first timer ... you did an awesome job and your glories were drop dead gorgeous!!!!

This is another of Antoinette's crosses. This color is so wild! I can't get over it! This is Hanafubuki x Blue Tie-dye's newest bloom. Whoo hoo! LOL!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #8036854

This is a NOID. I love the two-toned blues with that hint of pink throat! My eyes are immediately drawn to these blooms! The color is so intense! I love it!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #8036858

This is Sekihou. I need to cross this one with Blue Speckles ... ;-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #8036874

such beautfiul blooms becky, your blue speckles is a sight to behold. I also have wondered what an ant sees when they are down in the throat of a flower. LOL Must be like " Oh WOW!" Where are we?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #8036879

LOL! Yeah it would look like a theater stage or something to me! LOL!

Thanks, Debra!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #8036883

Your Kikyo lace is pretty. The pink Kikyo from you is budding. Can't wait!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #8036888

Thanks! You should get a bright pink bloom! And it bloomed in flushes for me once the vine took off in growth. I really liked the pink a lot! It made lots of seeds, too! :-) But ... you may get a cross ... that's all I'm going to say ! lol Can't wait to see your blooms on that one!
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 12, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #8036915

Becky, your latest flowers are "drop dead" gorgeous!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #8036931

Becky, amazing blooms. Love Plum Shadows, both blooms and
Blue Speckles. Gorgeous Dbl Jishi and Fuji Musumi.
I like A's cross more all the time.
The Sekihou is beautiful

Jon your blooms were very pretty.Hope you took time to enjoy them this summer . :-)
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8037233

This is a plant that the British refer to as a "Conservatory" plant. Love it and don't recall the name. If anyone knows, please share the name with me!

zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8037651

Becky, you have a large and beautiful collection. Where does everyone get
their seeds? I bought some blue one's on e-bay 'Hatsu Arashi and 'Star of India'.
The first one is suppose to be a deep blue.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8037820

Becky, looks like a beautiful Acidanthera Bi-color, a bulb
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8038018

zinniared - Seed swaps, trades, and sharing for postage is where I got most of mine, along with some purchases of Japanese seed packets. If you would like a mixed packet of MG seeds (some nice ones!), then dmail me. I'll send you about 15 seeds (1 each of different cultivars) for postage. :-)

Jackie - I think you are correct!!! That is just the first bloom. I have two containers full of that plant. It's going to be beautiful when they all start blooming. My Fall bloomers!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 13, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #8038247

I think Onalee's has both of those seeds on her site, I'm not sure.. about Hatsu arashi, but she used to have Star of India (SOI)

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 13, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #8038256

Becky, you sure did and are doing a great job growing mgs, you always have had the best showy flowers. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8039184

Thank you Becky, I will d-mail you.

Linda
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8039255

Gourd - Yes! You are correct. Japanese seed packs can be obtained from Onalees and that is where many people get their genuine JMG seeds from. Rather pricey, but usually true cultivars. Thanks for the compliment on my bloom photos. I do see many others here as well with some wonderful cultivars and matching photos! I look forward to your vines next year! You always have such great photos as well and I LOVE your crosses!

Linda - I sent you a dmail. :-)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

August 14, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8039361

A regular botanical gardens in Sebastian Fl!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #8039365

Dorothy - LOL! Hardly. A sad excuse for a garden from my perspective with everything growing in buckets! LOL LOL LOL

But ... the blooms I've had this year have been worth it, for sure! :-)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #8039479

Nice to see you Dorothy. We've missed your posts.
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

August 14, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8039606

Becky, do you think this is a Khokan?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1122470/

Martin
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #8039798

Martin - I don't know. Did I send you Kohkan?

My Kokhan had variegated leaves and very large blooms. Yours look much different than that. Unless it is a cross, I don't think so! And if it is a cross ... no telling what it crossed with.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

August 15, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #8041301

Hi Patootie
You are right - I've posted on other forums but not this one. I just dropped in to see what Becky was growing. I planted a lot of morning glory seeds and only two vines did modestly well (not as good with the manure feed as I should have been - it has been soooooo hot - I have been avoiding the back deck - the only place I can grow the morning glories that the deer won't get to) weeds overtaking everything this year too. And a lot of snakes and mosquitos which sort of takes the motivation out of me. But happy to see everyone elses blooms. Next year I will try again.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #8041484

Dorothy, every yr we deal with weeds, snakes and mosquitoes. Lets hope
next yr we don't have this record breaking heat to deal with. Kept me from
planting all I wanted to plant from seeds. It's all I can do to water everything.

Becky, your Kohkan was beautiful last yr
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #8053321

Becky, they are all lovely! I don't have but a few growing this year, planted only minimal amount of seeds. Am thankful for that though, many of my plants are "fried" because of our awfully hot July and August.

BTW...are any of your daylily seedlings that are blooming from the daylily seeds I sent you? Were you able to keep track of the crosses I sent? Just curious.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8053371

Hi Sandy! I hear ya about the heat this summer! It's been awful!!!

As far as the daylily seedlings ... I was not able to keep track of which ones and who they were from, but I am positive that many of them were from YOU! The seeds came from you and Karla. I only received seeds from the two of you. She believes most of the ones from her were the Spider Daylilies. So many of the others are yours. I don't know how many of them will return next year, but I believe most will. Fingers crossed. I'd been reading that even though some grow from seedlings and do well the first couple of years, that they often wind up dying due to climate. That is yet to be determined here. Hopefully, the daylilies are happy here and come back year after year. :-)

Are you still growing daylilies? I know the year before you had some problems getting your seeds to germinate. I got lucky and had great success with your seeds that same year. Again, I thank you for all of those beauties!!! I know a large number of them were your crossed seeds! :-)
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8053534

Great to hear Becky! If you want to ever email me some pics of the seedlings I'd love to see them!

My two Kanoko seeds I found germinated and are growing strong in a clay pot. I hope to get some blooms and will try hand pollinating them to see if I can get some seeds. Keep your fingers crossed!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #8053602

Sandy - Please dmail me your email address. :-)

Wonderful news about your Kanoko seeds! Yay!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #8054695

That Kokhan is Beautiful!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #8056486

Out of the 15 seeds I sowed of Blue Speckles, only 4 have germinated. I think it might be the high humidity here causing a problem. Two of the 4 just recently germinated, so I don't think the seeds rotted. They are just taking their sweet time.

One of the vines is really odd looking. Check it out.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 23, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #8057109

Becky, the dominant and recessive characteristics are starting to come out in this generation... it will be interesting what the next generation will bring. Great job, some seeds need more time to germinate then others, and some seed coats are harder than others too.

Out of the 107 seeds I started (nicked and soaked) last Sunday, 101 have germinated within the first few days and they all have their first true leaf...I am so excited.

Keep us posted on this one.
A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #8058630

I just love new baby morning glorys. So cute!
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #8058754

Debra, I just love new babies, I have one and he is my baby boy! Everything in the whole world comes second place to him! Even morning glories.
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

August 24, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #8060701

Becky, do you remember have we had a thread on the lines of: The ideal MG potting mix...? If not, I would be very interested in starting one,
hoping, of course, that people would share their secrets...

Martin
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 25, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #8061148

yes, I'd like to know the ideal MG potting mix too..lol..

Wouldn't it be nice if they sold a bag called "Perfect MG Potting Mix" then we would be set to go.

It is a good topic for a thread though, I think there was one a couple of years ago where everyone listed the soils they used here on this forum. Maybe we could bump it up and then add to it.

edited for spelling.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010 8:50 AM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8062488

I haven't found the perfect potting mix. Here in hot and humid Florida ... I need a mix that hold moisture. Which is why I happen to like the Moisture Control potting mix by MiracleGro. But to make it go further (as it is a bit expensive), I had pine fines, perlite, vermiculite, compost, and whatever else I can find to throw in there.

Has anyone used coffee grinds? If so, how did the plants respond? I'm making my dh save all his coffee grinds...
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #8062495

I'm getting some really weird leaves on my Plum Dots vine ...

Not sure if it is a mutant gene or something else going on?

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #8062503

I'm getting some weird leaves on the Blue Sazanami #1 as well ...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #8062567

Hey Becky, I use coffee grounds in all my pots and gardens. It is a good slug.snail killer and rich in nutrients. Thhose leaves remind me of some of mine, on several plants, which had mites and lack of iron. Once I got rid of the mites and gave them Multi B with Iron water, they straightened right out. B vitamins the multi kind with Iron, one tab in a jug of water. Is like a super thrive, only cheaper. I get my vitamins at the dollar general. I use Kens mix and a little soap for the mites.
I use the cheapest potting soil on sale, add pine mulch pieces ( just a few) , compost, perlite, coffee grounds, sand and a little Kansas Clay, and a dolap of neem oil, for my potting mix, and now I add some mosquito dunk ground up to the soil, since I am getting ready to bring them into the house. There is a soap spray at DG that is organic and safe and five bucks, to spray the surface of the pots with, and there is a granular DG brand of osmotecote I add in too.Bloom Buster is too strong in Posphates for my brugs, so I use a general even number for the fertilizer. It is too hard for me to make a special mix for each type plant I grow. I like bugs that I can see, just not the ones in the ground, that eat up the roots and things.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8062853

well here are some pictures I took this morning

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8064645

Thats a pretty one James...;)
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #8064649

Nice Blue Flaked I. purpurea bloom, James! Glad to see it blooming for you!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #8127049

Well, thought I would post the 4 vines of the Blue Speckles (F2) that came from my summer vine. Out of 15 seeds, only 4 germinated. I also tried to start some indoors recently and neither of them germinated either. So ... I won't be sharing seeds of this mutant this year it appears. :-(

But I thought I would show you what the 4 seedlings look like. They had dropped all their leaves (except the cactus gene plant) and as you can now see, have regrown new leaves and are starting to bloom again. One has a bloom today. It was white with blue speckles on the outer edge of the flower. The bloom didn't open all the way because of the rain, so I didn't bother to take a photo.

These all came from the same parent vine. I did not cross any of the blooms on that vine either. This has been the most difficult seeds to germinate, but it has almost been the most interesting F2 seeds I've ever grown. Take a look at how different the vines and/or the blooms are. Two of the vines look very similar, but the blooms are quite different. One has the speckles on the bloom and the other produces an off-white solid color bloom. The cactus has the speckles too. The one with the densely variegated leaves has not bloomed yet. I am interested to see what the blooms look like on that one! They all look so different that it is hard to believe they all came from the same parents! LOL! Sorta like me and my siblings. We look like a Heinz 57 ... mutts! A little of everything, but none matching! LOL!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8184835

I do a lot of MG seed trading and also share for postage. Not sure how many folks have found a love for MG vines over the years who I have traded with. I know some species of MGs can be a bit fussy. In cooler regions of the country (and the world), they may take forever to bloom. Often they don't last long enough to produce ripe seeds. In warmer climates they bloom quickly and often produce seeds as well. But the warmer regions also have the bugs and diseases that can quickly destroy a MG vine. I know many folks who have tried I. nils and I. purpureas. They prefer I. purpureas because they often come back (volunteers) if they manage to make seeds. I. nils tend to be the vines that require more effort and are even a little more expensive to grow since they need good soil and fertilizer to bloom. They are also more expensive to purchase. I know folks who give away baggies of I. purpurea seeds that would be enough to grow out for the rest of my life! LOL! Whereas, I. nil seeds seem to produce less seeds and often don't come back as volunteers like the I. purpureas do.

I suppose I. nils are good business for some seed companies. I wonder how much competition there is between the different seed selling companies and small seed businesses? As far as I. nils go, it seems the Japanese still have the best selections of true cultivars. I know a lot of folks here in the USA make crosses, but how often do they come true? I know it can take years to stabilize a cross to create a new cultivar. Are MGs really in demand these days? Or are we just a few gardeners who happen to like MGs? I know a LOT of folks that love clematis or roses or daylilies or orchids, but how big is the demand for MG cultivars and species? Are MG vines a growing movement or will they play second or third fiddle or none at all in most people's gardens? Anyone care to guess or give your opinion?

It's ironic ... when I talk to folks these days, they are more interested in veggie and fruit seeds instead of ornamental flowering plants of any kind. Maybe a sign of the current economy? Most the gardeners I know locally have "maybe" grown MG vines but most never at all. Some are interested, others just laugh when I mention MGs. I wonder if MGs will ever become a focal point in most gardens in the future? What do you think? I know I really enjoy them, but I have discovered here in humid Florida that I now have to grow them seasonally or indoors. Between the rust fungus and the beetles, the I. nil vines don't last very long unless it is Spring, dry, and cool enough to keep the bugs & fungus away. What do you think? Will MGs become well known and grown in gardens across the USA or even around the world? Or are they unlikely to gain popularity? Are there many newbies out there who are truly interested in growing MGs? I've had a lot of newbies request seeds for postage and then never heard from them again. I wonder whether they grew the seeds, whether they enjoyed the vines or not, and if they are still growing them every year or for some reason gave up on growing them?

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010 9:51 AM
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #8185986

Mgs are a very popular choice for the Japanese you see them in every street. They are often grown as a sun screen in front of the main windows of houses, even our local fire station puts on a superb display with vines reaching 30 feet at the front of the building. All my neighbors grow some in their gardens to create shade and privacy, a very useful plant indeed! One newbie that grows them, loves them and will continue growing them!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #8186082

Jon - I agree with you whole-heartedly about MGs probably being grown in just about every garden in Japan. They are far from common here in the USA. They haven't seemed to have caught on here. Which is too bad. I think most people believe they are invasive vines and therefore keep their distance from them or avoid growing them. I. purpureas do have that reputation for producing lots of volunteers.

I grew Sweet Autumn Clematis this year in the ground for the first time. My two vines had always grown in pots. They seem to like climbing the mini pergola. And they bloomed like crazy for me earlier in late summer. Apparently the pollinators liked the blooms this year because they are now loaded with fluffy seeds. I hope I don't wind up with a ton of volunteers! LOL!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #8186105

Looks like this thread is getting a tad bit too long, so join us here for Becky's Garden - Fall 2010:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138327/

Here is my co-op climbing rose "Old Blush" that I have growing on each end of the cattle panel arbor. These roses were tiny when I bought them.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2010 11:00 PM

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #8193531

Becky, I think some people have the misconception of growing MGs would be invasive and some haven't tried the i nils, so they are missing out.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #8193683

Nicole, you got that right!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 17, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8378000

I just wanted to tell everyone how much I enjoy seeing everyone's blooms and gardens each year! And I appreciate all the seed trades whether I grow them right away or later. So many seeds, so little space and time...

I am NO expert when it comes to knowing all about MGs, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate growing them and enjoying them! Does anyone have to be an "expert" to grow MGs? No. Most of us grow them because we love them. What can I say? They are beautiful plants!

I've shared seeds with so many people over the years! And many people here have generously shared with me. Antoinette, Dany, and Collin have shared some really unique and rare MG seeds with me and I really appreciate that! (As do the people who I share the seeds with from my first grow-outs of those vines.) Helena, Jackie, Darren, Karen2005, and Ronnie have shared many seeds that I was looking for. Debra has shared some awesome plants and so many neat seeds! There are so many others here, too ... I appreciate everything each and every one of you have sent me in trades and just sharing with me! IMHO, all of the crosses have been outstanding! This group of gardeners are some of the most generous and kind folks I've met online! Thanks to each and every one of you! :-)

Here's to future vines and blooms ... and this wonderful community of gardeners!!! You are each glorious in your own special way! :-)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 9:40 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8378312

We love you too, Becky. How is your newest "grow out" grandbaby doing?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8379047

Becky, Thanks for your kind words, we appreciate you too. Thanks for all the wonderful sds you've shared so generously.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 18, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8379051

Debra - Thank you! My granddaughter is getting big! She is adorable as most babies are! :-)

Jackie - Thank you!

Y'all are great folks! ♥
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

February 18, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8379944

Hi guys! Nice sentiment Becky, I have an awful lot to thank you for too!
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

February 19, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8380449

Me too, I agree, love growing your mg's Becky!!
MGMan
Norfolk, VA

February 19, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8381455

Hey y'all, long time, no hear, this is a very interesting thread with discussion about stablizing hybrids. I'm very excited about my F2 grow-out that I want to try this season, The F2 of my 3 way cross, (early call pink x early call blue) x pink and white speckled NOID. I cannot wait to see all the variation I come across with this F2. I also want to do an F2 grow-out of Akatsuki no Umi x Early call pink. May have lots of suprises!

-Becky, I just love your silver wolf, what a piece of eye candy:-)
dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8384809

Beckygardener, fell in love with double jishi and kikyo lace, can you direct me to where I can purchase some seed? Thank you much, would love to see them growing on my fence.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 21, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8385409

Thanks Jon, Helena, Tony, and dem2rd!

dem2rd - Sent you an email.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8385624

oooh, Kikyo Lace. What does that one look like? The Kikyo are very pretty.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8387518

Nicole, dmAIL ME i HAVE SOME KIKYO SEEDS FROM kAREN LEFT..oops caps lock, new lap top and new fake nails.. ugh
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 23, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8389479

Becky, you and several others here have been so generous to me also, I don't know how to thank you all. Jackie, Helena, several others, thank you all. I don't trade that much anymore, but love growing these beautiful flowers. Hopefully I'll have more crosses to trade at the end of this coming season. It is mind boggling to think of the possibilities in creating these crosses, you never know what you will get, you can only imagine.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great year for all of us.

A..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8389545

Hope we all get breathtaking, beautiful flowers this yr A. Fun to contemplate. :-)
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

September 26, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9670973

All your blooms are beautiful! I have a question, I have a morning glory I need identified and so far no 1 on Dave's has been able to help me so maybe you can.
The blooms are lavender with 5 pink rays, blooms range from 2 inches to 2 1/2 inches and it climbed about 5-6 feet and it came up from last years seeds. The leaves are heart shaped. I pulled up some vines from a friends house and they did great.
I love the color of this bloom.

Thumbnail by BoopsieTN

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9671023

Boopsie, unfortunately Becky no longer post here but what you have is an Ipomoea purpurea, most likely a cross so no real name. It's a beauty for sure!
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

September 26, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9671214

Thanks for your info. I may just half to find a name for it myself.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America