AuthorContent

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7998477

kk, water pond behaved itself til the freeze this winter, and has been allowed to grow wild, I cleared out a wheelbarrow full of parrots feather, misc leaves, and pots that had wound up on the bottom. My little lillypon had begun life in an 80gal aquarium. I DONT know why I thot it would behave, but I didnt expect a pine cone root 18" long. can this wayward child be brought to order, or should I try a different containment method for the xtra little ones that are showing up?

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7998488

they are determined to float, and I only THOT the parrots feather was the worst issue, there's a mass of roots too big for me to lift. If I cannot resolve its problem, I will remove the problem to the burn pile.

Thumbnail by kittriana

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7999194

ok so is that a lilly pad? Is it potted? it doesnt look like it's in dirt ?

just floating? I planted some parot feather and mine died :( I just floated it.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7999565

yup, is floating, outgrew the pot, disintegrated it. down here we consider parrots feather invasive, if it escapes to the dirt even roundup cant kill the stuff and it spreads faster than kudzu, I wasnt at home but 2/4 days out of the month so, my dau would clean and repot, I just didnt know how much work she was doing. Usually every 6 months the parrots feather gets leggy, so you snatch the top part of the plant off, stick it in clay and return it to water abt 4 to 6" hi, old roots burn, burn, burn. Hasn't been done this year, and I didn take a pic before I started pulling the 8' strands from around the hydrillis, water hyacinths and the lillypon. I THOT I would be stepping down into sludge, but the hair roots of the lillypon covered the bottom of this tiny water pond, didnt take too much to pick the little gravel and rock off the bottom, and the bottom of the pond was much cleaner than I could have hoped for.

Thumbnail by kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7999576

We are moving the 'water feature' away from the house. I am thinking a combination horse trough/plant keeper sort of thing. My dau says she thinks that would be too hard to clean, so am thinking abt what I can do. I have a fondness for lillypons, but never grew them before. Then the grandsons water bed got to be too much, so, poor porch, it is sooo useful.

Thumbnail by kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7999594

last Fall. before the frozen plants, chuckl,

Thumbnail by kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7999611

I am NOT big enuff to show you the lillypon mass and take a pic, but if I want to keep it I have to let it stay wet, so I haven't made up my mind. The leggy water hyacinths will also hit the burn pile, since they have been busy using the parrots feather to stand on, and I have little ones to replace them, this is a constant thinning tho. All these things constantly fight to take over every available growing space, Its just a way of life in this zone

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America