Photo by Melody

Propagation: how to root cuttings from crepe myrtles?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 26, Views: 371
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7998688

How would I go about doing this? I seen some in town that I really liked, and thought maybe I could start them from cuttings. Would they grow pretty quickly, or are they slow to start?
Do I use potting soil, use root hormone?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8000357

A google.com search provided this link to step-by-step instructions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4480829_grow-crape-myrtle-from-cutting.html
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8000432

thank you!

daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8002182

Thanks for this information. I have several crepes. I'm excited to be able to add more without having to purchase the amount of trees I would like to add.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8002241

here is a pic of what I did so far.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8002249

here is another. They have wilted some, there is just as much below the pot as above and I stripped the leaves off below and then watered them and sat them in the shade. did I do ok?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8008281

I thought it was rare to get roots from a flowering branch. I'd clip and poke before flowering, then the energy would go toward rooting, instead of flowering and seeds. I also use Quick Start by MG. With everything.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #8009537

oh, dear, I hadn't thought about energy going towards the flowers instead of roots. well the truth is, there were flowers all over it! Hard to find much that wasn't flowering!
should I snip off the flower heads on the top?

wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #8009617

I've tried it and it didn't work but that's me. It's worth a try for you.
That quick start really works though.

but don't forget to label the plant like I do

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010 7:20 PM
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #8009712

oh, they are the same so labeling is no big deal to me. well if it doesn't work, I will just have to order some I guess.
Hoped to save some money by starting some of my own, but I am terrible at this type of thing. Of course they are all wilted and starting to turn brown, but I figured they would do that, I will just keep them damp and see what happens.

wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8011066

The seeds of the crepe myrtle are very easy. You can have 200 plants of you want.
Here's a thread I was following
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953308/
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #8011352

wow, so the seeds will sprout and come up in my flower beds all over the place? I sure hope not!
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8011502

I don't know, I grow things mostly wild, there isn't fancy soil or fertilizer or sprinklers going around. I don't see any in my yard.
WOW, check this out, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1/
in the comments they say invasive...

I had to stop reading that thread, but you being from Mousurwhatever, upper northern way :-) If it was me I'd be growing lilacs. Boy do I miss my lilac tree. I've had no problems with crepe myrtle and just try growing some of your seeds and please remember to show us what the results are.
good luck.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 6:52 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8013628

This is a true story I have often told here on DG. Many years ago we bought house and the previous owners had planted 2 crape myrtles in a wooded area of the yard. We found these trees stretching their branches looking for sun. It was fall so we cut the long, straight branches off and layed them in a pile in the woods to use as tomato stakes next spring. We then transplanted the CM's to a sunnier spot and they did fine. Come spring I planted the tomatoes with the sticks from the woods and by July I noticed the strangest leaves on those tomatoes. LOL, all the CM sticks had rooted and leafed out. Who would have thought after just laying in the woods all winter they would sprout, but they did and we had several dozen beautiful young trees for family and friends.

Crape myrtles are invasive where I am living now but in the colder climates you will be fine. You can even root longer cuttings but be sure to cut those flowers off.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #8013657

ok, well I didn't cut them off, I just pulled off the seed thingies?
I thought cutting the 'wood' part, might cause the stick to lose moisture? They look really awful :(
patience will tell I guess...
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8046173

I root roses and quince by just sticking the cuttings in the ground after the wet season starts in fall. I have rooted many this way. Do you all think it would work for CMs also.
There is a house on my way into town. They have an awesome crepe myrtle I have never seen anywhere else. It is a perfect clear light pink and blooms profusely. I think it is about 4-5' tall by 7-8' wide. Very graceful beautiful habit. Might anyone know what variety it could be? If I can't find it I think I will stop at their house and ask to buy some cuttings. Do you think they would mind if I did that?
I HAVE to have this shrub.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8046301

I cut and run, hurdle fences and everything.

No, I was only kidding, don't try that at home.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2010 8:46 PM
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #8046591

LOL!!! That's what I really want to do under cover of night. :-P
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8047279

LOL
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #8047597

well, just don't do that in Texas.
Flimsy
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8047881

They would probably enjoy sharing with you. It's a compliment to their garden. ;-)

My CM's have little ones that pop-up along the roots. Just dig and plant. There may be some small ones growing underneath their CM.

Linda
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8048017

Like my sweetgum? I dig a hole anywhere under the sweetgum tree and a little tree pops up that next spring. Like when the root gets cut? Or is it seeds popping up?
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8048188

I do plan to ask them later this year when the weather is right for sticking cuttings.
RottedRoots
Marshfield, MA

August 23, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #8058639

Well I'm pleased to know it is so easy to root CM. However for whatever reason I have a 10 out of 10 failure rate. I will try again but might be a little late in the season to have to worry about wintering over.

I used a nice light mix of perlite, peat and a little potting soil to keep the perlite from floating. I cut the flowers off some pencil size semi hard shoots and kept them moist and even misted and they all failed rooting hormone and all!!

It's to bad because it is the first CM that has survived for me in 6b. I think it's called "Red Velour" but I'm having a little trouble reading the embossed copper label. I did have some success on other woodies this year so I'm OK...The Acuba took very well and it's suppossed to be hard and the CM all croaked and their easy. Go figure.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8059361

Mine just look like little dead sticks in pots :(

But I am still keeping them moist. I have hope they may be alive inside and are just making roots, maybe they will grow something green ?
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8059754

The plants or trees you are getting the clippings from, are they sprouting new leaves where you made that cut? They should be by now. Take a clipping of that growth, about 5 or 6 leaves long (clipping will have 5 or 6 sets of leaves).Use clean dirt, microwave it wet in a bowl about 12 minutes, it's a big bowl, let it cool, and stick the little suckers in there. I use Miricle Grow Quick Start, 1/2 capful to a gallon of water. Put them in the shade (winter sheltered) and leave them alone until spring.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_flowers/all/

RottedRoots
Marshfield, MA

August 24, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #8060517

Hey worm.. I just went out in the first good rain we have had in months to check and one or two of the spots where I took the cuttings from are showing some decent internodal activity!!

Maybe tommorow I will try to find a few to cut. It's sounds easy enough although they will winter in a cold but not freezing garage.

I guess I will just leave the cuttings that look dead right where they are. I'm sure they would still pass the thumb nail test so maybe I might get a couple out of it anyway.Maybe they are just resting.

Thanks...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America