BEGONIA MACULATA, NICE PLANT IN A FOUR INCH POT!

Irving, TX

I am bidding on this plant on Ebay. I don't think this is maculata since it appears to be a rhizomatus begonia and I think that Maculata is a cane. Anyone know what I am actually bidding on?

Irving, TX

Here is a picture of what is being offered.

Thumbnail by begoniadude
Saint Petersburg, FL

Originally that plant was known as B. masoniana var maculata. However that has been changed to B. variegata (I think!)
Bob

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You are correct begoniaguy (Bob). I think it was changed in the last few years.

Here is a picture of a very large one at PHOE.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Unbelievable! How wide are those leaves, hc?

Irving, TX

Any growing tips on this one? Should it be under glass?

Probably 12 inches across.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Unbelievable! That's it. I'm moving to Florida. LOL

That is the only way I found to grow mine and I've had it at least 3 years. I have it in the largest ice bucket I could find and the largest cake lid I could find from a Sam's Club cake. I lost my first one because I didn't have it in a terrarium.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Saint Petersburg, FL

A member of our local branch is growing it out of a terrarium, but he has it in a climate controlled (heated and cooled) greenhouse. It will survive for a short time in warm humid weather outside but for long term survival a terrarium is necessary. :(

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm converting my 125 gallon aquarium into a terrarium for begonias that need that environment. What do guys think are the most beautiful begonias that need that a terrarium environment?

Irving, TX

Well I didn't win the plant. It went for $20.50. I didn't want to pay more than 20.00 for it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

rajah, 'Exotica' or brevirmosa (both now the same plant I think), any rex, 'Buttercup' for a ground cover

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images