Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: water turned dark

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 11, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kirbyk
Lewiston, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8000113

Hello... I've got a 3640 gallon rubber lined, 5 1/2 foot deep pond with Kaldness K-1 and K-2 filters with air injection, a 100 watt UV, a salvio skimmer filter, lots of plants, a bog filter'd stream... probably too many fish... and everything has been running great... untill the beginning of this week. All of a sudden the water has turned hazy dark green. Could it be because its been so hot and the algae on the liner is 'turning over'? I cant see the bottom no more.. and I took out my pond vac... theres nothing on the bottom. Has anyone else experianced this?

Thumbnail by kirbyk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8000874

Didnt NY temps get hotter recently? green water healthy, the massive amts of fish would tend to need more oxygen supplying fish, but the green is telling you thats a healthy place for algae, your local fish store or a water testing kit could give you the ph levels, most folks in the south experience this all the time, we add barley straw, or barley liquad, but if the green is clear, not stringy, barley might not help, try a few more plants that have water cleaning properties-water hyacinth works miracles in my little pond for clarity. hang in there, there are better experts than I wandering this forum.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8002188

Our temps have been close to 100 for quite some time lately...My ponds have never had an algae problem before, but this year they certainly did. Even with my above normal cleaning of filters (but still not killing off the bio ) Even with UV lights running (I thought the bulbs may be getting old, so even replaced those!
I finally treated the whole pond with potassium permaganate, up-d the oxygen for the day and let it do it's work. Muddy brown for a day or 2, sparkling clear on day 3. I left one of the filters disconnected from the pond so I wouldn't kill off all of the established bio seed.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8002255

Noob here. Does barley straw kill string algae? Thanks.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #8002305

It usually won't kill string algae, but peroxide does. The regular store brand peroxide. You can pour it directly on it, with basically no effect on your pond. in a day or 2, you will see it die.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #8002318

Will the peroxide harm fish?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #8002523

No, it will not harm fish. Somewhere there's another forum regarding peroxide and algae. I'll try to find a link to it.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8002530

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/511567/?hl=peroxide, algae

I don't know how to make this a link, so cut and paste the above. It's one of the forums that has measurements for string algae and peroxide. It will NOT take care of green water. That's a completely different algae.
kirbyk
Lewiston, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8004155

Hi Kittriana... I've been so busy that I haven't had time to reply. I'm sure now that it was the hot weather that we had here. It was in the 90's for a week and thats unusual for this region. I tried the barley straw thing years ago when I first started the pond and it didn't work too well. It helped with the string algae but I had alot of blanket algea. My big UV light is oversized for my pond but I dont have any single cell, string or blanket anymore. I replace the bulb every year. The liner of course has an algae coating ... and that is what died off. Just too hot and oxygen depleted. There is air injection in the wherl waterfall filter (has K-3 media), but I just added a air stone to the pond to increase oxygen. My bead filter with the Kaldness K-1 has polished the water.. so now I've just got "dead algae tea." I'm hoping that I'm off this weekend and I'll do a partial water change. I'll post an update... right now I've got to go pick peppers...

Thumbnail by kirbyk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #8004431

You can maybe add a flocculent if you think the algae is already dead. It will bind it together into little chunks to allow the filter to clean it out of the water more effectively.
kirbyk
Lewiston, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8004680

Hi Mary... I just have 'tea' water. The Kaldness K-1 is great stuff. It has the water 'polished', so there is nothing in the water... its just colour'd from the dead algae. I think the only way to get it clear again is by water changes.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #8005006

I know I've done my fair share of water changes this summer...we need a break from the heat! :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America