taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8000756

i did peach jam .
but i think its under cooked ?
i got it to a boil but not a true rolling boil .
so my question is
should i heat it back up to a rolling boil and then can it again ? i used Pomonas Universal Pectin .
thanks for any help
sue

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8002699

As long as it's done within 24 hrs.
You do process in in a boil water bath?
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8002954

These comments are from the Pomona's Pectin FAQ:

Pomona’s Pectin is reversible. That means your fruit mixture can be put back in the pan, adjusted, re-boiled and then re-jarred and re-processed. When the mixture thoroughly cools, the pectin will re-jell.

Pomona’s Pectin will start breaking down if it is subjected to extended cooking. After you have added the pectin to your boiling fruit mixture, you can continue to cook for up to 10 minutes without harming the pectin. After 10 minutes you risk breaking down the pectin. An extended boiling water-bath of the filled jars also risks breaking down the pectin. The pectin is likely to be totally broken down by pressure canning.

If you follow the cooking times in the directions and recipes that come with Pomona’s, the pectin will retain its full jelling power.

http://www.pomonapectin.com/faqs.html#QuestionsAboutUsingPomonasPectin

It sounds to me as if you might have better luck with re-cooking if you use sterilized jars and reduce the boiling water bath time to 5 minutes. That way there's less risk of breaking the jell since the mixture is already being cooked additional time.

This is just a guess, of course.

Good luck,

Carol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8003214

Thanks Carol
i did what Pomona's said to do. i redid the cooking process and boiled up the jars. Then re canned them.
it worked out so far.
got a great firm jell and i think i just needed added more sugar. ? so i did add 1.5 more cups
a good thing to know i really didn't think about is
mine are low low sugar
32 cups i used 4 cups of sugar
so i was told to only keep for no more than 3 wks but it never last more then 8 days in my home LOL
thanks again Carol
sue
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8007121

Pomona's will jell water, so the level of sugar isn't an issue. You can add as much or little as you like, which is a terrific advantage for diabetics or others with health concerns.

Canned it will keep much longer than three weeks. I'd guess six months, maybe more. It really varies depending upon the fruit and the level of sugar. Over time with peach you can get color changes, especially if it's exposed to light. (It can turn brown, even with lemon juice.)

How long a low-sugar preserve will hold on the shelf depends on the fruit, the amount of sugar, the storage conditions. In a dark cupboard at a steady room temperature or a little cooler (say 60's-70's) it will keep best.

Unfortunately, due to lack of funding, there hasn't been as much research done with low-sugar preserves. It's kind of trial-and-error, so keep notes to help you remember next year what you did, how much fruit and sugar and how the peach jam held up.

A lot of people can these in smaller jars because once they're opened and in the fridge they don't keep very well.

Carol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8007376

thanks Carol
yes i meant once open it will only last 3 wks .
the jam came out very well . but more like a marmalade ? and i think with such low sugar its true to fruit then a jam texture ?
so its more like spreading mushed yummy peach on toast.
yep i am keeping notes
my black raspberry came out very wonderful . I did one batch with 2 cups sugar to 12 cups mash fruit
the second batch was 12 cups fruit and 2.5 cups .
guess which one i like better LOLLL
good texture
i hope i do ok at fair.
i realize i m up against people who are doing traditional full sugar jams but its my first year at fair.
jammers just want to have fun
thanks again
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8082184

I did another peach jam but this one didn't jell ? or didn't set .
so when i redo the jam again.
Should i add more pectin ? and calcium water ?
i did 8 cups fruit
2 cups sugar
8 t calcium water
but i think i only did 3 ? t of the pectin ? just don't remember doing 6 ?
should i add 3 t more ?
or redo the whole amount of calcium water / pectin
6 t cal water
6 t pectin again
thanks for your help
i just don't remember having this much trouble last year but i m going through menapause so that could be a factor ROFLLLL
thanks
sue
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #8082505

Sue, This page might help and at the bottom there is a phone #. They are always happy to help and actually use and understand the product! http://www.pomonapectin.com/faqs.html#QuestionsAboutUsingPomonasPectin

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America