Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: Juvenile bird found in the piedmont region of North Carolina

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
angustotse
Mount Airy, NC

July 27, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8001328

I found this bird under a tree in the backyard. I placed it in a hanging pot up in the tree so that the cat wouldn't get it...but after a day I hadn't observed the parents visiting it at all.

So I put it in a box and fed it worms. It survived and thrived for about two weeks. It was able to gain altitude but when I put it outside it wouldn't ever move from where i put it..even if left overnight. It's tail feathers were almost non-existent as shown in the picture when I found it but at two-weeks they had grown to over two inches.

Unfortunately he flew into a window, broke his neck and died. I wish I would have done something differently or something more but I did what I could.

I've done searches online and the closest i can come up with is a Northern Waterthrush. The markings on the head look different though...however this may be because it was just a juvenile?

Anyway...if anyone with knowledge or experience could venture a guess I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

http://img213.imageshack.us/i/img5550m.jpg/
http://img341.imageshack.us/i/img5555j.jpg/

Thumbnail by angustotse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

July 27, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #8001341

Thanks for adding this to the Id forum...not 100% sure but could be a Brown Thrasher fledgling.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #8002090

Ditto to Brown Thrasher

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America