Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Big Leaves, Big Impact: No elephant ears?

Communities > Forums > Article: Big Leaves, Big Impact
bookmark
Forum: Article: Big Leaves, Big ImpactReplies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

July 27, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8001408

When I was a kid, we had a huge clump of elephant ears in the ell of our house. They were my "green playhouse" and once I sat out a rainstorm underneath them. I loved those elephant ears but was careful not to ever break a stem or tear a leaf. Mom said the juice was poisonous; I don't know if that's true but I was careful anyway.
Eye_Yi_Yi
Johnstown, NY

August 1, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8011954

I planted an Elephant Ear this spring (zone 5) but it never came up. Anyone have any ideas?
lizzymahoney
Daytona Beach, FL

August 18, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #8047558

The author mentions Colocasia spp in the footnote. Most times when people mention elephant ear, they mean a Colocasia spp. Sometimes Alocasia spp, and sometimes Xanthosoma spp.

While a very few of them are edible, all of the aroid elephant ears can be irritating to your skin if not outright caustic.

Eye-yi-yi, it's possible that you planted your "elephant ear" corm in soil that stayed damp too long. While most of these types like moisture, a wet spring can cause the corm to rot. Fast draining soil is the best for them. Plus a late season freeze could have killed the corm. Dig in around where you planted it, and see if anything is left. You might be able to lift it and replant in a pot to grow through early fall.
Eye_Yi_Yi
Johnstown, NY

May 30, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8596265

A few days after I posted this, the plant suddenly shot up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Big Leaves, Big Impact Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Petasites japonicus Dea 7 Jul 27, 2010 8:43 PM
Gunnera grins wannadanc 0 Jul 25, 2010 9:12 AM
Umbrella Plant verna001 0 Jul 26, 2010 11:17 AM
And more DianeEG 0 Jul 26, 2010 12:29 PM
big leaf plants gardener2b 2 Aug 10, 2012 9:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America