Photo by Melody

Handyman: Had Success with painting outdated bathroom tile?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8003153

Has anyone had 50's era bathroom wall tile painted a different color? I'm wondering what your experience has been? We have a small 50s bathroom with light gray and Jade green accent tiles. There is a settling crack that runs from top to bottom in one place, and replacing the tiles would be very expensive since they were applied with a "mud" technique that makes it very time-consuming to pull off the old tiles. We have been told to consider having someone paint the tiles, as new paints are now available that work well. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9069185

I'm curious to see what you decided to do with your bathroom tile? It was July 2010 when you posted your message..did you get any responses? I understand that workers have to use mask,etc. to do this painting and certainly the strong odor might effect you and your family also. If it were me, I think I'd chose to replacement of the old tiles. My guess is that a dremel tool might help remove the old tile..and you'll need new backer/green board probably. I'd rather spend that money for that then end up with respiratory problem from strong paints. That's just my two cents.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9069902

Hi Pippi...we haven't done anything with that bathroom yet. We always find other priorities with two houses that are both always needing something. I'm glad to know that there might be dangerous fumes involved. If we do paint them, we would do it during the part of the year when we aren't living in the house. Thanks for your post!
Louise

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America